• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh.. the first screenshots of Nisekoi.

1386925381225c9e7q.png

Wow these designs are really starting to look super dumb, even for Digimon! Lol.

Even for digimon this is too much

In a saga where you can mix everything with almost anything , i think the creator has kept a certain sense of sanity ..( at least this one , there are much worse )

Galilei Donna - 10

Ban this sick
incest-inducing
filth!

...also, good episode :|

not incest , just inspiration ... don't get why you guys are seeing incest everywhere.

cajunator

Banned
Plastic Little

Just when you thought you had finally gotten rid of me...
Hello again, anime gaf! It is good to see you all once more, but I just wish it was under more pleasant circumstances. I was in little Tokyo not long ago, and I happened upon this dvd in a clearance bin (of sorts) for a whopping three american dollars. The case promised light hearted, sci-fi action and fun with tons of ridiculous names for characters, ships, and technology. I thought, "what the heck?" and decided to give it a chance. I now know why it was it was three dollars.

Story

A girl narrowly escapes the grips of an apparently evil force that is destroying a facility her father works at. The young lady winds up on the planet where the protagonist, Tita, and her Pet Shop Hunter crew live and work (don't let the name fool you, however! there is no sort of pet shopping or huntering taking place here!).

Tita rescues the girl from some no-good looking fellows and learns her name is Elysse. Turns out her daddy knew a thing or two about science and made some thing that was supposed to be used for good, but the bad guys wanted to do bad things with it.
When the bad guys show up on the planet and threaten Tita's life for the password to activate the science, Elysse relinquishes the knowledge that it is in fact the last twelve digits in her dna sequence. From that point on, it's a race between the bad guys and Tita's Pet Shop Hunting crew on the Cha Cha Maru to save the world!

Somehow, the tiny ship is able to slip past an entire military force shown to consist of dozens of vessels. This isn't some Star Wars thing, they just inexplicably get by. Next, Tita and Elysse infiltrate the bad guy's base, but they're too late! Things start going bad, and the big-bad seems like he will win. Thanks to contrivance, Tita manages to get the upper hand, they stop the world from destroying itself because of a hot gravity belt, and everyone is happy.

Mix in some paper thin characterization, subplots that last maybe an entire thirty seconds, fifty cups of closeup shots, a dash of non-sensical jargon, a handful of boob shots, simmer for forty minutes, and you have yourself one Plastic Little soup.

Presentation

This OVA wanted to look good, but it just didn't. There wasn't anything inherently wrong with the quality of the art or animation, but you just never got to see any of it. The vast majority of the screen real estate was occupied by someone's bulbous head on either half of the screen (or, half of the time it was front and center). It was quite apparent that the people who storyboarded this had either never paid attention to other films, the higher-ups made demands to have an inexplicable number of closeups and extreme closeups, or the budget was so limited that only doing limited lip-flapping and head the occasional head-turn helped them save enough money on background painting and animation cels to get this thing finished.

The character designs were exhaustingly bland and well-worn. There was honestly next to nothing unique about anything visual in the show beyond the occasional glimpse of the ships, but even those were shot in closeup to the point that I didn't even know the protagonists' vessel until it was on made apparent through dialogue.

The only decent aspects of the animation were the parts you expected to have the most investment put into them. The shots that contained general gunfire and nipples tended to have some decent animation to them, but it just felt so amazingly pandering because of how narrowly focused the quality was to these extremely specific moments that it made the breaks from the mundane less than satisfying.

Overall, Plastic Little is nothing to boast about. The lack of any kind of a single artist's hand having a clear or sustainable influence in the direction of the look of the universe or any attempt to leave a lasting impression beyond presenting as many possible sequential shots with a pan up from someone's bare chest results in a tepid, forgettable visual experience that you will forget in a matter of a few hours (at most).

Final Thoughts

While I might sound rather scathing, it's only because the aspects that they mentioned once in a while about sky whales, diving into the cloud sea to look for animals, having a crew lead by a seventeen year old girl whose father mysteriously vanished, and so forth all sounded much more interesting than the story they decided to tell. I feel that with a better director, a better script, and a better storyboard artist/team, this world has some true potential for a fun OVA that would have been worth watching.

Perhaps I expect or want to much from a show that is clearly aiming to titillate viewers (as evidenced by the plethora of attention both the creators and the characters place upon the female figure and the "jiggle counter" extra on the dvd menu), but I like to think that a product that wants to produce those reactions can also still manage to do something besides flashing the audience once in a while to make sure they're still paying attention.

Plastic Little isn't something I'd recommend, but it's not the worst anime media I have ever watched. I just think I would enjoy a candy bar more for the price.

This is a classic OVA. Well it is to me. Infamous for the ten minute bath scene and the jiggle counter. DV had people talking about this one for a while. It holds a special place in my collection lol.

1386925381225c9e7q.png

Designs look kinda Medaka box-ish..I like the cutie in the bottom right.

Interesting designs. Im getting Galaxy high vibes or something.

Kill la Kill 11

I'm really on the verge of dropping this. Part of me wants to see where it is going, but this episode highlighted how I'm just forcing myself to watch this.

Caladrius

1386925381225c9e7q.png

The protag (or at least I think the guy on the Upper left is him) looks cute. Not feeling the other character designs that much though.

What's it about?

Also I can finally start working on my rec list as soon as I finish off this paper, hooray!

The protag (or at least I think the guy on the Upper left is him) looks cute. Not feeling the other character designs that much though.

What's it about?

Also I can finally start working on my rec list as soon as I finish off this paper, hooray!

Apparently it's about the son and daughter of the respective leaders of two rival gangs. They both hate each other, and the two leaders want to settle their dispute by pairing the two children together.

That's the basis anyway. It sounds like it could be pretty funny.

Outbreak Company 11
i never really particularly liked Matoba but this made me really hate him
manipulating not only Shinichi but the entire country as well.
. Too bad this is going to end next episode, I really liked this show

Pooya

valvrave 22

bromance deus ex machina incoming, LOL!

the remaining episodes are probably predictable somewhat sappy stuff now, I think fun parts are over, it had a good run though.

kill la kill 11

now this is just getting started and looked really good this time too, I like what I'm seeing. This is also going quite predictably, I don't see the 'shocks' or 'surprises' others were pointing out...

Kill la Kill - 11

This was everything I hoped for, and more. Definitely keeping the foot on the gas. Cannot wait for next weeks episode, given this week's developments.

This is a classic OVA. Well it is to me. Infamous for the ten minute bath scene and the jiggle counter. DV had people talking about this one for a while. It holds a special place in my collection lol.
This post saddens me.
I can understand it holding some value for someone that watched it when it came out years ago, but as a piece of stand-alone content, I found it to be severely lacking. As I said, perhaps that falls more on me expecting something from it which it truly wasn't trying to be.

cajunator

Banned
I can understand it holding some value for someone that watched it when it came out years ago, but as a piece of stand-alone content, I found it to be severely lacking. As I said, perhaps that falls more on me expecting something from it which it truly wasn't trying to be.

My first experience with it was on VHS and I have a nostalgic fondness of it along with stuff like Burn Up W and Iria.

I hadn't heard of this before...now I will seek it out. Especially given that it has your endorsement ;).

Theonik

I only watched it less than 6 months ago for the first time! Not nostalgia.
Yes I would guess it's as you say and is mostly an expectations thing. Minding that I agree with a lot of your criticism.

cnet128

Banned
His friend was always the better waifu than all the girls combined, so yes.

Don't you be shitting on my Onodera. Nisekoi waifus are srsbsns.

(Shuu is an entertaining character, yes, but still. Apart from anything, he has a clear correct female pairing. Look, she's even right there with him in that screenshot!)

EDIT: For the sake of it, here are the correct Nisekoi waifu rankings:

Onodera > Onodera imouto > Ruri > Paula > Marika > Chitoge > Tsugumi

cnet128

Banned
Hnnnnghdera. I can't believe Shaft answered my prayers for hnnngzawa to be Onedera.

That's actually the one thing I'm worried about. I love HanaKana and I love Onodera, but I can't imagine the one as the other. It might take a while to get used to that >.<

CorvoSol

Since when does Araragi need justification for perversion? It's not "okay" for him to "try to bone" anyone seeing as he totally has a girlfriend since the second arc. That just means he has to engage in totally non-sexual activities with them instead.

I just don't want to find out that I've been watching Bakeswordartonlinemonogatari.

Eh, Kanbaru gets her time in the spotlight eventually (extra eventually in the anime since her arc was delayed), but it's true she is a little under-represented. She doesn't suffer as much as Nadeko though, who doesn't appear at all for...I think five books in a row? Of course then she becomes a major focus of two whole arcs, so it's difficult to say who's the most neglected at this point.

Good. Kanbaru may only be 3rd best girl, but she's still great.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
In a saga where you can mix everything with almost anything , i think the creator has kept a certain sense of sanity ..( at least this one , there are much worse )

not incest , just inspiration ... don't get why you guys are seeing incest everywhere.

What?! He clearly wants
to become partners with
that little girl!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom