• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Log Horizon 06
UBd8Nuil.jpg

Basically an expositiony bridge episode, not that exciting but still entertaining. In particular, some nice character stuff for Shiroe in the second half. Hope the plot of this show develops beyond saving people from bad guilds at some point though.

The episode preview made me hungry.

Kazzy

Oh wow, Sentai Filmworks just announced a license rescue for Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, for both BD and DVD, out in March (not sure if multiple parts or one complete set).

I've always thought that Sentai have a tendency to license 'any old shit', but I'm glad they also occasionally use their powers for good.

I want my Hyouka, dammit!

Hattori

Banned
No, but Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Macross Plus, Macross: Do You Remember Love?, and Macross Zero are all worth watching if you haven't already seen them.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
That shading. Mmm.
Haven't seen plus or zero, I'll add it to my infinite backlog.
Hope your country made it through the typhoon ok.
Thanks. My family there live in the countryside so they rarely get hit by typhoons.
Oh wow, Sentai Filmworks just announced a license rescue for Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, for both BD and DVD, out in March (not sure if multiple parts or one complete set).
edit: they don't have the bonus omake episodes at the moment but they're "looking into it".

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?26017#post213174

Other just-announced March releases include Upotte (dub BD/DVD) and a dubbed BD/DVD rerelease of Maria Holic S2 .
I love Nadia. Hype!

duckroll

It's being directed by the director of Kissdum and the replacement director of Basquash; I wouldn't expect it to be any good.

All that says is that he's a director in the studio who can actually get things done and finished even when everything else is falling apart around him! That's an asset, not a liability!

Jex

More Kawamori madness: http://www.nobunaga.tv/character.html

Nobunaga (Mamoru Miyano):

Jeanne Kaguya d'Arc (Yoko Hikasa):

Mitsuhide (Takahiro Sakurai):

Hideyoshi (Yuki Kaji):

Leonardo Da Vinci (Tomokazu Sugita):

Kawamori's going full Kawamori, so I'm a little bit excited even though I know it'll end up pretty bad.
It's being directed by the director of Kissdum and the replacement director of Basquash; I wouldn't expect it to be any good.
The kissdrum of death.

(Sorry)

Articalys

They're pretty much all Russian: Dva (2), Professor Um (intellect), Robo-ko (Rovoko? I dunno if this is a Russian pun...), Adeen (1), Lady Plamja (flame), General Pepel (ashes).

The power of Google is a great tool!
I still don't get how you managed to convert them from katakana to Russian.

Articalys

Because Japanese->Russian dictionaries are a thing?
I understand how you knew the target language was Russian (okay, technically I don't know how people figured out ズヴィズダ was the Russian word "Zvezda" in the first place), but I can't find an online translator that can handle converting プラーミャ, for example, into Plamja.

I mean, if you already knew Russian then I could understand being able to parse the katakana into the expected Russian words in the first place.

JCG

The designs for Kawamori's new show look nice, and I'm definitely interested in where they're going with that crazy setting.

All that says is that he's a director in the studio who can actually get things done and finished even when everything else is falling apart around him! That's an asset, not a liability!

I honestly don't know about him in particular or those specific series, but I do think some tend to more or less unfairly blame directors for problems that may have more to do with either the script or with other aspects of the production. It's definitely part of a director's responsibility to answer for his show, formally speaking, but in practice its constituent elements can and should be judged independently. Unfortunately, this isn't done very often.

In this case, I don't have any kind of fears or expectations about the director. I just hope the results are entertaining and worth watching. The rest may well vary.

Hunter x Hunter - End of Yorknew Arc
I could see you getting extremely frustrated with the series by the end of this arc. I mean, you're clearly already frustrated with certain parts of it, and several of your previous posts have expressed a lot of frustration, but the end of this arc just might be the kicker for you. But maybe not.
I was very worried after I read this, and wish I hadn't. In the end though, I was satisfied with the arc. Quite a lot, in fact. Gon, Killua and Leorio were completely uninteresting plot-wise, but towards the last quarter of the arc spiced up and were having some fun of their own
like escaping from Nobunaga, or smacking Troupe members around a tid bit in the hotel when the lights are cut.
And as I mentioned before, I loved Kurapika. He was a pretty huge badass, especially in his fight
against Uvon

This arc finally set the show apart from some other Shounen anime I love, like Naruto and Bleach. It did so through it's villains. The Akatsuki members of Naruto and the Espada of Bleach had some badass characters, but I can't help but be annoyed that almost every damn time one dies, the rest of the group simply don't give a shit. Are we supposed to think they're so tough and badass that they don't even care for anyone else? I dunno. I hate it though, and it appears in more than just Shounen anime. But I was sold on the Phantom Troupe when you see they're actually pretty torn up/pissed
about Uvon's death.
. It reminds you that albeit they're evil nature, they're still human. It's such a simple thing, but I fell in love immediately. It was an added bonus that Chrollo wasn't a know-it-all. He is mostly quiet and stoic when you first meet him, so I excepted him to be an annoying omnipotent, nothing-shakes-me Aizen-type. Thank God he isn't.
He composes a requiem for his dead member. He was tricked by Hisoka's fake fortune. He was easily captured by Kurapika.
I dare say I quite enjoyed him.

Now to put a final note on my rambling. I'm done with Hunter x Hunter for now. I didn't realize how few episodes there are out there. I only have 2 more arcs, and one isn't finished. I have to watch these kind of shows one arc at a time, and my fear is that if the Greed Island arc isn't good, it'll leave enough of a bad taste in my mouth that when the Chimera Ant arc concludes, I won't have any drive to watch. I'll leave the show for now with a very happy outlook and await patiently for the show to get farther.

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy 15

We have brief displays of Sexy Sasami and Sexy Misa, before BABIES!

Don't worry you'll be back to normal by the end of the episode!
She's still a baby

Silky

Banned
Everything was all over the place and essentially everyone was wilding out to the point of annoyance. Didn't feel consistent at all. Really did not like this episode.

I was very worried after I read this, and wish I hadn't. In the end though, I was satisfied with the arc. Quite a lot, in fact. Gon, Killua and Leorio were completely uninteresting plot-wise, but towards the last quarter of the arc spiced up and were having some fun of their own
like escaping from Nobunaga, or smacking Troupe members around a tid bit in the hotel when the lights are cut.
And as I mentioned before, I loved Kurapika. He was a pretty huge badass, especially in his fight
against Uvon

This arc finally set the show apart from some other Shounen anime I love, like Naruto and Bleach. It did so through it's villains. The Akatsuki members of Naruto and the Espada of Bleach had some badass characters, but I couldn't help but be annoyed that almost every damn time one dies, the rest of the group simply don't give a shit. Are we supposed to think they're so tough and badass that they don't even care for anyone else? I dunno. I hate it though, and it appears in more than just Shounen anime. But I was sold on the Phantom Troupe when you see they're actually pretty torn up/pissed
about Uvon's death.
. It reminds you that albeit they're evil nature, they're still human. It's such a simple thing, but I fell in love immediately. It was an added bonus that Chrollo wasn't a know-it-all. He is mostly quiet and stoic when you first meet him, so I excepted him to be an annoying omnipotent, nothing-shakes-me Aizen-type. Thank God he isn't.
He composes a requiem for his dead member. He was tricked by Hisoka's fake fortune. He was easily captured by Kurapika.

Now to put a final note on my rambling. I'm done with Hunter x Hunter for now. I didn't realize how few episodes there are out there. I only have 2 more arcs, and one isn't finished. I have to watch these kind of shows one arc at a time, and my fear is that if the Greed Island arc isn't good, it'll leave enough of a bad taste in my mouth that when the Chimera Ant arc concludes, I won't have any drive to watch. I'll leave the show for now with a very happy outlook and await patiently for the show to get farther.

Well just so you know greed island arc is less good than yorknew but it's still quite good with plenty of mecanics that are intresting for a shonen the current arc ( chimera ) is godly , maybe i should say better than yorknew but it's without a doubt on the same level.

Since you decided to stop and enjoy it later , great .. You'll have some good moments left but don't forget this anime... the later parts are incredible.

cajunator

Banned
Site update w/character profiles for Sekai Seifuku and new key visual by Keigo Sasaki:

http://www.sekaiseifuku-zzz.com/#chara

lewd but quite interesting. Hopefully another one of those over the top crazy types of shows. the character designs seems to lend to a quite unique story.

...You know, I'll probably end up reading this.

As somebody already pointed out, though, the provided title translation and parts of the description are all wrong. I'm glad Fushimi wouldn't sink quite low enough to put "forbidden relationship" right there in the title. I'm actually a little disappointed that he's taken a step backwards and is making the siblings non-blood-related this time around, but I guess it gives the thing a slightly different dynamic (and probably frees him from worries of executive meddling that may or may not have influenced the OreImo ending).

Using the exact same artist AND pose for the cover art is completely shameless and makes me want to facepalm, though. I guess they needed an easy way to communicate to people in stores glancing at the cover that it was the OreImo successor... ~.~

Oh yes, I forgot to mention this in my impressions, that was a hilariously dense moment. (I still didn't think this was a bad episode overall, though.)

YOU HAVE CHOSEN WELL.

This show had better be as amazing as it looks, because for something so gorgeous to turn out to be a disappointment would just be heartbeaking.

As long as the girl isnt a total bitch like Kirino was Im ok with this. Some sort of Kuroneko clone wouldnt hurt!

edit: they don't have the bonus omake episodes at the moment but they're "looking into it".

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?26017#post213174

Other just-announced March releases include Upotte (dub BD/DVD) and a dubbed BD/DVD rerelease of Maria Holic S2 .

Oh nice. Been meaning to watch this for years. Now I have no excuses.

Log Horizon 06

Another world building episode which is pretty great cause I do like this world.

Also looks like it's gonna get all Spice and Wolf on us (hopefully) needing all that money.

cajunator

Banned
soo uhhh for Log Horizon's ED song.... the MV is kinda erotic for a jpop autotune song......kinda ruins the whole thing lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNfboNEFh-g

I love this song. Its better with Akatsuki in it of course.

I'm pretty sure Netflix just nuked half of their Anime catalog, while only adding two, likely garbage, ecchi shows.

Netflix has pretty sparse lineup of anime. Most of it is either stuff I already bought or otherwise not really interested in seeing. Its disappointing yet not unexpected.

Who watching anime in netflix anyway, maybe really ignorant of me to say that though.. you can watch some catalog in there than just the recent title.

I used to a bit. It had better stuff a year ago. Now its just a terrible selection.

Vecks

Log Horizon 6

lol, I hate these kinds of cliffhangers where they look like they're about to tell you something, then completely avoid the subject. Not even a hint. He just flat out ignores what everyone is saying.
TELL THEM YOUR PLAN--Oh, hey, now we know why the show is called Log Horizon!

cajunator

Banned

cajunator

Banned
More Kawamori madness: http://www.nobunaga.tv/character.html

Nobunaga (Mamoru Miyano):

Jeanne Kaguya d'Arc (Yoko Hikasa):

Mitsuhide (Takahiro Sakurai):

Hideyoshi (Yuki Kaji):

Leonardo Da Vinci (Tomokazu Sugita):

Kawamoriiiiiiiii
After rewatching some of AKB0048 Im reminded of his "brilliance".
Speaking of which, http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/vT78vB8b5OpG05g1cJ/browse/item/100249/4/0/0 Go get part 2!

tumblr_mw0btgURNg1skw6elo1_500.gif

I'm watching this now.

You should have been earlier! (Im one to talk)

Acchi Kocchi 12+OVA

A couple gifs in memoriam of this show. One of the cutest shows I've watched. You just can't help but root for Tsumiki. I wish Io and Tsumiki did get into a relationship though

Your avatar is excellent. This show is godlike. I wish it was bluray but I settled for the DVD. Just had to have a copy of this miraculous creation. If anyone ever wants a show that will just warm your heart before killing it with squee this is it.

Vecks

Unless the anime is not fully covering the manga, there's actually another (somewhat mini) arc after Chimera Ants.

Gazoinks

White Album 2 06

This was one of the best episodes so far. A lot of nice, sweet character moments here.
Especially Haruki caring for Touma and them doing the song they wrote together at the end.
I initially though this show was gonna end with the school fair, but that's obviously not the case anymore.

Setsuna is starting to become really emotionally dependent on Haruki (and Touma to a lesser degree), and Haruki's kinda giving everyone mixed messages. Will probably be trouble once the love triangle fully flairs up.

Can anyone recommend other good romance shows where the protagonist is similarly confident, nice, likable, or just not your typical harem protag?

White Album 2 06

This was one of the best episodes so far. A lot of nice, sweet character moments here.
Especially Haruki caring for Touma and them doing the song they wrote together at the end.
I initially though this show was gonna end with the school fair, but that's obviously not the case anymore.

Setsuna is starting to become really emotionally dependent on Haruki (and Touma to a lesser degree), and Haruki's kinda giving everyone mixed messages. Will probably be trouble once the love triangle fully flairs up.

Can anyone recommend other good romance shows where the protagonist is similarly confident, nice, likable, or just not your typical harem protag?

I echo this, and the request at the end.

This show is seriously good. And adorable :/ The whole train scene was great.

Pocket Monsters X/Y 004

2mTZhkml.jpg

Kinda jealous how it isn't that easy to find a Dedenne in X/Y. Then again, it's movepool is pretty crap so I guess I dodged that bullet.

I still like Eureka, she's adorable and a great part of the cast.

This arc finally set the show apart from some other Shounen anime I love, like Naruto and Bleach. It did so through it's villains. The Akatsuki members of Naruto and the Espada of Bleach had some badass characters, but I can't help but be annoyed that almost every damn time one dies, the rest of the group simply don't give a shit. Are we supposed to think they're so tough and badass that they don't even care for anyone else? I dunno. I hate it though, and it appears in more than just Shounen anime. But I was sold on the Phantom Troupe when you see they're actually pretty torn up/pissed
about Uvon's death.

This actually made me hate them more (in a good way). With villains that care little for their comrades, their goals are relatively clear and you know what you're getting; pure evil dudes that are there for entertainment and to be beaten by the protagonists.

With the Troupe, we have a group of hypocrites, as Gon said. They care about each other and no one else. They understand the pain of loss, yet they won't even attempt to empathize with those that experienced the same thing through their own hands. Instead, they go out of their way to get revenge and let off steam by bringing about even more death, never taking into account that the atrocities they've committed would cause people to feel the same way.

That makes them pretty fantastic villains IMO, among the best the genre has to offer. If you REALLY want to see how despicable they can get, read the two recent special chapters of the manga. It doesn't spoil anything beyond what you've seen since it's just some more backstory on Kurapika.

Hajime no Ippo Rising 6

That slap fest needs a gif STAT!

God damn it, a fucking tie. That's the same as not getting the belt dammit! I knew he'd get screwed some way.

Mature

Haven't seen plus or zero, I'll add it to my infinite backlog.

Thanks. My family there live in the countryside so they rarely get hit by typhoons.

I love Nadia. Hype!
I would put Macross Plus specifically on your short list. It's mandatory viewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom