• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything that canonically connects the One Piece world to the Toriko world?

One Piece was actually GOD. It's discovery turned the Great Pirate Age into the Gourmet Age, essentially turning the world into one with a focus on food instead of piracy. Luffy changed his name to Acacia and brought about individual dreams known as Full Course Meals rather than the single dream of finding One Piece.

Due to continental drift and other changes in the planet's structure, many of the world's islands became connected in the center, turning a small percentage of the planet into Human World. The more dangerous islands of the New World became Gourmet World, all becoming overrun with mutated sea kings and other monsters that even the toughest pirates couldn't handle.

Scientists managed to isolate the cells of Devil Fruits that gave people powers, bringing about the more versatile Gourmet Cells. Coco's Gourmet Cells were taken from the Doku Doku fruit after Magellan died.

No, there is no connection.

Aizo

Banned
So, I was reading about Moretsu Pirates on a feminist blog. It stated that it's both feminist friendly and has canon queer romance. Is this true? I wrote it off because of it's title, but I may be interested now.

So is it an original story or an adaptation of the manga?

It's essentially stories from the manga strung together with some small changes. The animation and art are quite good. I think you'd enjoy it. I found myself still laughing at Jesus' run-ins with the Yakuza, even though I had read them before.

Kurita

Already watched the OAV actually, and it was cool.
I need to watch the movie as soon as possible. I want to hear more Buddha/Hoshino Gen and Jesus/Moriyama Mirai.
Pv0dWSL.jpg
:bow :bow

CorvoSol

Keep in mind that that arc concentrated on shinobu going forward.

Well it was apparent that it was Shinobu's arc pretty much from the second episode of it onward. I'd have liked for it to be Hachikuji's arc because I like Hachikuji more than crummy Shinobu, but, contrary to what people are saying, that it was Shinobu's arc was hardly lost on me.

The only question I had was whether that means Shinobu does or does not get yet another arc to herself as we move forward.

There's no sequel to Shin Mazinger. The ending, with the
Mycenae appearing right after Dr.Hell is defeated and crushing the Mazinger Z is a reference to the final episode of the original Mazinger Z anime, and beginning of the Great Mazinger manga, but Shin Mazinger's story has quite a few differences from all other versions, so there's nothing that actually follows its cliff hanger completely.

For example, in Shin Mazinger, we get a brief glimpse at the Great Mazinger and its pilot, but he calls himself "Blade", while Tetsuya Tsurugi, the pilot of the Great Mazinger in the other versions of the story, seemingly died years earlier. Of course, "Tsurugi" means "Blade", so he might have been a cyborg Tetsuya or an android or something, but you won't see that followed up in the other versions of the show where the pilot is just Tetsuya. Kenzo Kabuto seemingly dying and returning not entirely human is a part of the original story, but not his betrayal in the backstory.

There was also a movie in the 70s with yet another take on Mazinger Z fighting against the Mycaene (Mazinger Z Vs Ankoku DaiShogun). The second Mazinkaiser movie is yet another version of the Mycaene invasion (it has a completely different set up from the others though).

So where does Mecha GAF suggest I go from here? Assume, for the purposes of that question, that I cannot watch the original Mazinger Z. Do I just go ahead and jump into Great Mazinger (I think I can handle the continuity changes), or is there some other continuity I should just dive into instead?

ProTip: Paying attention to the arc titles means you're getting trolled by Nisioisin. :D Letting something like that get in the way of what was such a powerful moment is unfortunate.

Well I don't really think that happened to me, so . . . I mean, it wasn't the word "Mayoi" that made me go "I don't think Shinobu's moment here at the end is anywhere near as powerful as Hanekawa's moments were in her arc." To be perfectly honest it isn't even that I find Shinobu a vastly inferior character to Hanekawa that brought on such a comment. It's simply a matter of Hanekawa having an enormous advantage over Shinobu in the department of time. Which is to say Hanekawa has had three arcs actually dedicated entirely to herself, whereas this was the first arc that could really be called Shinobu's. In fairness, since Bakemonogatari's ending, Shinobu is easily the girl with the second most amount of screentime and consequent development.

Which really does basically leave Senjougahara as something of an odd ball out. As in I have no idea why Araragi is dating Senjougahara since he is never ever with her and his response to what he loves about her is vague as fuck and frankly the abusive overtones of their relationship actually are far less endearing than, and I cannot believe I am saying this, his relationship with Shinobu.

So there's that, that Araragi's relationship with Shinobu has decreased in creepy factor over the course of this arc, but it isn't like I don't acknowledge that this arc was all about exactly that and that the final confrontation was basically the culmination of the arc's development. I just don't find it as big a deal as the end of Neko Shiro.

As to what the author would say about me like I give a fuck.

NeonZ

Is there anything that canonically connects the One Piece world to the Toriko world?

It's not canon, but there was actually a Toriko/One Piece crossover chapter published in Shounen Jump, by the original authors of both series. It was just one chapter though, which wouldn't fill even a single episode by itself, so most of the crossover content is anime-only (it was partially adapted as the first Toriko episode for the anime, although there are many changes).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Well it was apparent that it was Shinobu's arc pretty much from the second episode of it onward. I'd have liked for it to be Hachikuji's arc because I like Hachikuji more than crummy Shinobu, but, contrary to what people are saying, that it was Shinobu's arc was hardly lost on me.

The only question I had was whether that means Shinobu does or does not get yet another arc to herself as we move forward.

On that note im drawing a blank on what the next arc actually is, cause I know for a fact that the next arc ends on episode 19(17 depending on where you watch it) and I dont remember it being that many episodes after the recap episode.

Just marathoned Tower of Druaga, enjoyed it until the last 2 episodes of the first season.
Not sure I even want to continue now.
I always hate that kinda crap they pulled at the very end

CorvoSol

On that note im drawing a blank on what the next arc actually is, cause I know for a fact that the next arc ends on episode 19(17 depending on where you watch it) and I dont remember it being that many episodes after the recap episode.

Well don't look at me. Araragi's shirt isn't even ripped so whatever happens next is still keeping him occupied while Hanekawa is busy with her tiger.

Did I mention I love tigers? Girl has like a He-Man tiger with Dark Phoenix power. Frickin' sweet.

NeonZ

So where does Mecha GAF suggest I go from here? Assume, for the purposes of that question, that I cannot watch the original Mazinger Z. Do I just go ahead and jump into Great Mazinger (I think I can handle the continuity changes), or is there some other continuity I should just dive into instead?

The equivalent of the cliff hanger from Shin Mazinger in the original anime was actually resolved in the final Mazinger Z episode itself, rather than in the beginning of Great Mazinger. So, it'd be better if you could start from that final episode of Mazinger Z, rather than Great Mazinger episode 1. Anyway, I guess it depends. Are you willing to watch another early 70s show like Getter? The atmosphere is pretty different from Shin Mazinger, but it does give quite a bit of screentime to the villains too.

Alternatively, you could jump to the Mazinkaiser OVAs, although it kind of assumes that you're already familiar with Great Mazinger on a basic level at least. There isn't really any kind of consistent continuity outside of the 70s tv shows and manga though.

Malvingt2

Man I re watched Monster this past week and wow. I have yet to watch a better anime than Monster.

I loved the pacing,plot and characters. Johan is just the best villain of all time. He can't be touch.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
One Piece was actually GOD. It's discovery turned the Great Pirate Age into the Gourmet Age, essentially turning the world into one with a focus on food instead of piracy. Luffy changed his name to Acacia and brought about individual dreams known as Full Course Meals rather than the single dream of finding One Piece.

Due to continental drift and other changes in the planet's structure, many of the world's islands became connected in the center, turning a small percentage of the planet into Human World. The more dangerous islands of the New World became Gourmet World, all becoming overrun with mutated sea kings and other monsters that even the toughest pirates couldn't handle.

Scientists managed to isolate the cells of Devil Fruits that gave people powers, bringing about the more versatile Gourmet Cells. Coco's Gourmet Cells were taken from the Doku Doku fruit after Magellan died.

No, there is no connection.

I love your work... it would be perfect if you somehow worked in some yiffing that involved Chopper and News Lady from Toriko <3

Jex

[Yozakura Quartet] - 11

yozcompsryz6.jpg

Undoubtedly a man of refined taste.

In all seriousness, this was a pretty average episode of Yoz which means that it looked good, had some weird pacing issues and featured awkward fanservice but it was still, on the whole, pretty enjoyable.

CorvoSol

The equivalent of the cliff hanger from Shin Mazinger in the original anime was actually resolved in the final Mazinger Z episode itself, rather than in the beginning of Great Mazinger. So, it'd be better if you could start from that final episode of Mazinger Z, rather than Great Mazinger episode 1. Anyway, I guess it depends. Are you willing to watch another early 70s show like Getter? The atmosphere is pretty different from Shin Mazinger, but it does give quite a bit of screentime to the villains too.

Alternatively, you could jump to the Mazinkaiser OVAs, although it kind of assumes that you're already familiar with Great Mazinger on a basic level at least. There isn't really any kind of consistent continuity outside of the 70s tv shows and manga though.

I'll see if I can dig up the last episode of Mazinger Z and then jump into Great, then. I don't have a problem with old school mecha shows. I only stopped watching Getter because of a fiasco with my subs.

Jex

Yamato 2199 - Episode 7-12

This is really a much better show than anyone deserves in this day and age. In the modern era of JJ Abrams entertainment passing as scifi, this really has no place in reality. Actual character development, real effort put into designing alien worlds, space hazards, civilizations, politics, compelling antagonists, intriguing mysteries and historical truths which feel like they're a natural part of the narrative instead of breadcrumbs artificially hooking the audience. I don't think I've enjoyed a serialized space opera this much since Babylon 5.

There were some real highlights in this batch of episodes too. I like the more relaxed side showcased with the Yamato Radio stuff, and the line-crossing ceremony was a really nice touch which continues the parallels between traditional sailing and space travel. The episode about Analyzer and the android was pretty good too. But the real highlight was how they expand on the Gamilas characters and politics. Depicting a war isn't very compelling if it's one-sided, and it's great to see how they realized that really early and have started building stuff up for the audience to consider the various angles.

Sooooo good.
I know, right? Society is not worthy!

So, I was reading about Moretsu Pirates on a feminist blog. It stated that it's both feminist friendly and has canon queer romance. Is this true? I wrote it off because of it's title, but I may be interested now.

It's essentially stories from the manga strung together with some small changes. The animation and art are quite good. I think you'd enjoy it. I found myself still laughing at Jesus' run-ins with the Yakuza, even though I had read them before.

i'm not even sure what feminist - friendly mean.

Gazoinks

Yozakura 11

Pretty much what Jexhius said. :p
[Yozakura Quartet] - 11

yozcompsryz6.jpg

Undoubtedly a man of refined taste.

In all seriousness, this was a pretty average episode of Yoz which means that it looked good, had some weird pacing issues and featured awkward fanservice but it was still, on the whole, pretty enjoyable.

Midonin

Unbreakable Machine-Doll
&#22238;&#12428;&#65281;&#22238;&#12428;&#65281;&#22238;&#12428;&#65281;

There's a trend this season of the battle harem light novel series using the title of their novels for the episodes in question. Perhaps it's to indicate a sense of fidelity to the text? It also makes rewatches easier, such as the four episode batches in this one. Unlike Ravens or Blood, Machine Doll only made it three novels into its series... so, how did it stack up?

I'm sure a lot of opinion for this series rests on what one thinks of Yaya. I found her clinginess funny, but I can understand how it would be a divisive thing. Two of the three arcs focused on the Belew sisters, so they certainly had a major presence here. And I liked Frey just because I'm a fan of Kana Asumi. Everybody fit their roles well enough, but the main thing about a series like this is that it feels like we're only scratching the surface. Plenty has been revealed about how this world works, and it is acting as an advertisement for the novels. Just that Raishin's motivating rivalry, and plenty of other mysteries, will need plenty more seasons to get some sort of conclusion. The reveal of what exactly a "Machine Doll" is does serve as about as nice a breakpoint as they could get.

Not sure which of the three arcs I liked the best, since they all flowed pretty nicely into each other.

One of the things I wished was expanded on more was the seasonal beauties trio that Yaya is a part of. Komurasaki got to do a few things with her ninja-like skills, but Irori kind of remained in the background the whole time. The show looked nice, and the English setting was also implemented well. The CGI was a little too standout at times, but with every passing season, the usage of it can only continue to improve.

I liked Hitomi Harada's opening, and for a show set in England, it had one of the singularly most Japanese endings of the entire season. Catchy, though. Tongue twister songs like that are designed to be.

Final Thoughts: It's average as a standalone work, even if it's clear there's a lot more to this world that could be explored, and likely is explored, in the novels. The girls are cute and the action has a nice amount of variety to it. A good way to pass the time, which is still a good thing to be.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Well don't look at me. Araragi's shirt isn't even ripped so whatever happens next is still keeping him occupied while Hanekawa is busy with her tiger.

Did I mention I love tigers? Girl has like a He-Man tiger with Dark Phoenix power. Frickin' sweet.

Ohhh its all coming back to me now, idk why I was drawing a blank til now, but the next arc is going to be good, start on it as soon as possible :p

Yowapeda 12

Only two people can go to inner high, but it's like they actually want three instead. They're totally not biased at all.

And we see a rival cycler too!

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Then moretsu pirates is really full of those.

On that note, I've been wondering something about persona here on AniGAF. I know the following:

Theonik: Ass man

Chet Rippo: Boobs man

Duckroll: Some weird food fetish

DTL: We all know what DTL likes (to the point it's become a category referenced by his name) :|

Are there any other
notable labels I can place on
posters who have a specific interest?

Narag

I'll see if I can dig up the last episode of Mazinger Z and then jump into Great, then. I don't have a problem with old school mecha shows. I only stopped watching Getter because of a fiasco with my subs.

I'd wait on Mazinger myself and watch some other stuff seeing as discotek will have it out sometime this year (I hope)

If you must though,, make sure to check out the Mazinger z movie vs the general of darkness or whatever. Shit is brutal and its good watching before you get to the mazinkaiser remake of it.

Won?
I figure she's still going to move away, and no one will end up with Haruki. It looks like a set-up for a time skip. We'll see a winner if they ever adapt more of the source material, which might not happen if they feel this season is enough to promote the VN.

And I want to know more of Takeya's history that they keep hinting at.

That's why I said "won?" considering that
Haruki still ended up choosing Touma, but Touma had already made the decision of moving away so nothing much could be done about it.

I really do hope there's another season and a timeskip where two of them end up together. If somebody has played the second VN I wouldn't mind which girl wins spoilers. I'm a bit hopeful this can get a second season considering WA1 got a second season and by all means it's a much crappier story.

On that note, I've been wondering something about persona here on AniGAF. I know the following:

DTL: We all know what DTL likes (to the point it's become a category referenced by his name) :|

Are there any other

From what I've seen Cajun is the moe/cute girl man.

And Narag is the "says inappropriate shit that can be perfectly replied with his avatar" dude

hows golden shower/time or w/e its called been recently? Kinda forgot about it lol.

It's decent enough. If you liked Toradora humor and could handle its melodrama, it's some of the same combination. The drama seems to have gone up a bit recently, but Koko and 2D-Kun make the show worth it imho. Plus it's a show worth watching as it isn't terrible, an ok amount of people discuss in here, and it'll be running for the next season as well.

Speaking of Space Dandy, I wasn't sure what I would think about the english voice cast since I hadn't heard of them. Then I saw the english voice dub trailer. MERGERD

Sorry guys. KlK was a false prophet. Space Dandy dubbed is the true savior of anime. My moe-ssiah.

Gazoinks

It's decent enough. If you liked Toradora humor and could handle its melodrama, it's some of the same combination. The drama seems to have gone up a bit recently, but Koko and 2D-Kun make the show worth it imho. Plus it's a show worth watching as it isn't terrible, an ok amount of people discuss in here, and it'll be running for the next season as well.

Speaking of Space Dandy, I wasn't sure what I would think about the english voice cast since I hadn't heard of them. Then I saw the english voice dub trailer. MERGERD

Sorry guys. KlK was a false prophet. Space Dandy dubbed is the true savior of anime. My moe-ssiah.

Speaking of saving anime, is there a PV for Wizard Barristers yet? I need mah magic lawyers.

cajunator

Banned
Frozen almost makes me want to watch Tangled... except for the fact that Disney BDs are stupid expensive.

Worth every cent

whats this from

original.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZBB5MYL0g4

Mouretsu Pirates is GODDAMNED GLORIOUS

Are there any other

There is also the firehawk but im unsure what it means

Midonin

Arpeggio of Blue Steel
:The Video Game

3D animation has certainly been on the rise, but I still prefer traditional 2D animated stuff. This is why, even though I plan to play Senran Kagura, I liked their anime character designs better. The only 3D anime I've watched up to this point have been the 100% comedy ones like Bukatsu-mono or gdgd fairies. Seeing that applied to a full length dramatic series is... well, it's an experiment, to say the least.

There are many shots where the series certainly looked like it could've been in 2D, but the way things are put together belies its true nature. And while that style of animation has been improving, there are still times when it looks like a video game cutscene, and has an airless quality that many 2D anime simply don't. I liked watching it as a novelty, but it's not something I want to see become a trend outside of dancing. I can understand why they did it because of all the battleships.

When the series began, I was curious if it would spend a lot of its time in battle scenes. It was the cute girls that got me watching this series. Without the Mental Models, I would've almost surely passed it over. But as soon as the Makie arc hit, I think the show found a nice balance between battle scenes and character building moments. Like that long amount of time spent at the bottom of the sea with Iona and Gunzou. That was genuinely moving.

The series' take on a "What makes us human?" story was something I've seen before, and that may not be the thing people remember about it, but it hit all the right story beats and had a proper sense of gravitas. Lots of cute moments too, with Hyuuga and her Kuroko-like fangirling over Iona. That moment when Iona lifted up her shirt to reveal her belly button and her ship self did the same was also cute.

Military series and I may not get along, but this one turned out to have more character-driven elements than I was expecting. And for that, I have to give a small nod of approval. The OP was good, as were the various EDs, and I'm looking forward to getting the character songs down the line. Musically, it's fine.

Final Thoughts: A good exploration of humanity, with far more humanity to it than I expected such a show to have. The artstyle takes some getting used to, and may take one of the show sometimes. I don't really have much of an opinion on it, but in terms of "battleship girls" anime, I have a feeling that I may like Kantai Collection a lot more, in terms of characterization and fanservice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom