• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

Man, I'm gonna miss Non Non Biyori so, so much. That was amazing, easily the best anime this season, and one of my favorites ever, to be honest.

Candy Store is the waifu I never expected.

CorvoSol

SDF Macross 23

WELP.

WELP.

WHELP.

I have other things I can say about this episode. Things like how manly it is that Hikaru doesn't even bring up the Zentradi's murder of his friends when deciding whether to allow their defectors to stay aboard the Macross, or how great it is that Misa is just like "So yeah I had a crush on Kaifun but then I realized that he doesn't look like Riber at all I could hack it without his lame ass so now I don't." I could tell you about how embarrassing it must be for the Zentradi to have their guys desert mid battle over a pop star and how that means otaku make for shit soldiers, or about how I wish Misa and Hikaru would just admit they like each other and stuff, but no.

In this episode Kaifun tries to rape Minmay. His first cousin.

At least the fucking toothbrushing was consensual, man.

Jintor

But Non Non Biyori is really at its weakest when it's trying to riff on Hotaru's goddamn senpai obsession.

/edit LOL MOUNTAINS FOR EVERYONE

Renge is 100% the best.

Yotsuba crossover plz

9Eyg93K.jpg

jbug617

Banned
Non Non Biyori 12

This show was my surprise show of the season. I had no expectations for it and it turned out to be a good show. I agree when they play up the Yuri it didn't feel right but everything else seems good.

Favorite episode was the episode with Candy Shop and Renge and the origin of their relationship.

Renge in her final form

N0XXSDm.png

Jintor

Non Non Biyori 12
Favorite episode was the episode with Candy Shop and Renge and the origin of their relationship.

Definitely great. It's amazing the show can kind of introduce these new characters and then give you feels in less than ten minutes flat.

My favourite non-main character was definitely the silent brother though. He was fucking amazing with his running away and his MGS stealth skills in that summer episode.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 23

So General Revel sends some Super Robot Show Power Ups over to the White Base and Mirai has to command the ship because Bright is still in his angst induced flu. The stuff Revil sends is all pretty stupid and when asked why he is supporting a ship that is as "unimportant" as the White Base, he basically admits no other ship in the Earth Federation Forces is willing to be the guinea pig for everything the develop (as an aside the exact complaint is that the White Base's actions are autonomous, so why is this general supporting them? The counter point to both is that the White Base would be more important and more obedient if anybody in the Federation ever bothered to supply it and take it under their wing. Since the Federation is managed by a bunch of slobs, though, the White Base garners its fame instead by doing things like killing Zeon Princes, high ranking Zeon officers, ruining the Red Comet's career, and of course housing the Gundam, which leveled an entire Zeon base alone.

Mononoke

Banned
I know this question isn't 100% related to this thread (but it is related to Anime). Does anyone on here know of a place to buy legit movie posters? I wanted to buy some Ghibili posters and put them up in my room. I just spent $80 on Amazon buying some posters (Nausicaa/Totoro/Spirited Away & How's Moving Castle) - but when I got them today, they were awful quality. Basically, this guy just took images from the internet and printed them out as posters (they look pixelated).

I really want to get these posters again, but don't want to get scammed a second time. Does anyone know of a place that actually sells real posters, and aren't just internet images printed out.

:(

I've heard of allposters.com, and am willing to give them a shot. Just wanted to know if anyone has used them before, and confirm they aren't just shitty printed images. Don't want to throw away another $100.

I know this question isn't 100% related to this thread (but it is related to Anime). Does anyone on here know of a place to buy legit movie posters? I wanted to buy some Ghibili posters and put them up in my room. I just spent $80 on Amazon buying some posters (Nausicaa/Totoro/Spirited Away & How's Moving Castle) - but when I got them today, they were awful quality. Basically, this guy just took images from the internet and printed them out as posters (they look pixelated).

I really want to get these posters again, but don't want to get scammed a second time. Does anyone know of a place that actually sells real posters, and aren't just internet images printed out.

I've heard of allposters.com, and am willing to give them a shot. Just wanted to know if anyone has used them before, and confirm they aren't just shitty printed images. Don't want to throw away another $100.
Rightstuf is where I'd probably look, though I can't speak for quality or what they have available.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Gundam Build Fighters 9

OMFG if this isn't one of the cutest things I've ever seen in my life, I don't know what is. LOL!

Mononoke

Banned
Rightstuf is where I'd probably look, though I can't speak for quality or what they have available.

Yeah, it just sucks. The lesson i learned here is, it's too easy to pass off posters online. You almost have to look in person and see the quality for yourself before buying. Problem is, I have no stores near me that would every carry these kind of posters.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So I have been using the Christmas Holiday to catch up on some Anime titles that have been on the list but only now have I really had the time to watch.

Steel Angel Kurumi 2

A pretty typical harem series that contained all of the annoying harem tropes with the twist that its all girls involved. Outside of its very gregarious runtime of 12 episodes that ran around 15 minutes each and its gender flipped gimmick that was pretty middle of the road fodder.

Kino's Journey:

Hoo boy, so this one got hyped up but certain friends and Cajuniators as one of the best anime series of all time. I am sorry to say I didn't see that, this was a fantastic series and I respect what it was going for and also for not making a big deal about Kino being a woman. Still, there is a decided lack of depth here that really marrs any desire to rewatch the series anytime soon.

Azumanga Daioh Episode 1-3

Indeed, it is only now that I am getting to one of the more inexplicable titans of anime history. That is still strange to say but indeed before the likes of Tamako Market, K-On, Lucky Star and even Haruhai there was this series. I do have to say that thus I regret putting Azumanga off for so long as I am really liking that this isn't just cute girls doing cute things and oh my god so boring show. Yes, I rather like the surrealist character driven humor which reminds me a lot of Ramna 1/2 and that is not a bad thing. More on this one as it develops.

CorvoSol

That wasn't attempted rape. Closer to sexual assault than anything else.

True, but I'm counting it as sexual assault with intent to rape, because looking back over all his actions during that concert dude was looking to get laid and war was just a convenient excuse. Also I hate Kaifun, so exaggerating his crimes is required of me.

Tenumi

Banned
Non Non Biyori: 12 (END)

Ah, the adorable surprise of the season ends. Yeah, it feels like there's one every season. But this one had charm. Charm that lifted it up as one of the best of the season.

Also, I dropped like practically everything else from this season minus Kill la Kill, so it kinda wins that honor by default.

cnet128

Banned
Gingitsune 12 END

The comforting, relaxing mood of this show is just amazing. It's not a show that I ever particularly looked forward to watching, but it is one that was consistently a pleasure while I was watching it (yes, even in the Satoru-focused episodes...just about).

Aside from the general mood, the primary reason to watch the show has got to be for Makoto and her two best friends, who are such pleasant characters to watch. Each adorable in their own right in very different ways, and they have the best friendship chemistry. If the show has one failing, it's that it didn't focus as much on those three as it should have.

Also I want to marry Makoto. Just throwing that out there. (Hnnnnnnngggghhhhh to the max at the flashback glimpse of loli Makoto we got in this final episode.)

Would absolutely watch second season.

LayLa

Non Non Biyori: 12 (END)

Ah, the adorable surprise of the season ends. Yeah, it feels like there's one every season. But this one had charm. Charm that lifted it up as one of the best of the season.

Also, I dropped like practically everything else from this season minus Kill la Kill, so it kinda wins that honor by default.

ha, me too, this season has been v disappointing.
for me the comedy parts of Non Non Biyori were very uneven, but when they went for storytelling or emotion (e.g Renge/Candystore backstory, Renge's summer friend) they hit it out of the ballpark.

ha, me too, this season has been v disappointing.
for me the comedy parts of Non Non Biyori were very uneven, but when they went for storytelling or emotion (e.g Renge/Candystore backstory, Renge's summer friend) they hit it out of the ballpark.

Agreed here, although I mainly found one part to be rather eh, but the storytelling/heartwarming parts of NNB is definitely great, which helps when the sound track doesn't suck.

cajunator

Banned
Jealous.

All I got done was media and law. What good is that to anybody? :(

Well considerinv that peiple like to sue and how important news is...

Man, I'm gonna miss Non Non Biyori so, so much. That was amazing, easily the best anime this season, and one of my favorites ever, to be honest.

Candy Store is the waifu I never expected.

This show is pure joy like Hidamari sketch and Kiniro Mozaic.

Hanamaru Kindergarden 01

So cute. So inappropriate. So anime.
Yeah will stick with it looks to be good fun at least. Fears of arrest aside.
Also WHAT HAPPENED TO HER MOUTH

Glad you started watching this. its so cute it hurts. Panda neko dance is miraculous.

Rightstuf or maybe hobbysearch
those two deal with only legit merchandise of any kind

Rightstuf or maybe hobbysearch
those two deal with only legit merchandise of any kind

Well, Amazon sells legit stuff as well, but when shopping for anime-related merchandise, if it's not being sold directly by Amazon, make sure the item at least says "Fulfilled by Amazon". Otherwise you don't know what you're getting.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think this season has been pretty keen, I liked quite a bit of this crop.
Interesting to hear people say this. A lot of shows left me feeling very cold. I don't think there is actually a single show from this season that I would recommend to someone else.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Interesting to hear people say this. A lot of shows left me feeling very cold. I don't think there is actually a single show from this season that I would recommend to someone else.

I think thats just being cynical, tho im a person who like to sit back and just and enjoy

Yowamushi Pedal Episode 12
tumblr_mya041kws81s4y6x8o1_500.gif

Training camp successfully adressed my concerns about the first years specialities and trying to get them more varied. Its been a fun time especially the in room antics both during the episode and after it. Really fun.

Dont think anyone mentioned the new OP and ED for it.

cnet128

Banned
Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai 12 END

Decent finale for a decent-ish series.

I couldn't honestly call this show "good". The narrative has been consistently unengaging and always just that little bit too convoluted, while the antagonists and other side characters were very underwhelming (it's telling that I don't feel any hesitation lumping the main villains we've seen in with "other side characters", and the supposed "main" antagonist of the series as a whole, Magnus, was perhaps the least relevant of all). And the action has been consistently decent but unimaginative - the only semi-unique idea the combat really seems to have is the main premise of fighting using "dolls" as proxies; beyond that, it's almost all just Yaya unceremoniously pummeling things until either they fall down or Raishin gets injured again. Oh, and occasionally Raishin yells out a command of some sort and Yaya glows a bit, which I'm sure is super important but just comes across as the magical automaton equivalent of meaningless technobabble.

So yeah, with the narrative weak and the action fairly unimpressive, pretty much the only thing the show has got properly going for it is the cuteness of the girls. So it's a good thing they are very cute. Yaya herself is clearly the main standout with her sweet and unashamed devotion to and obsession with her master (and proclivity for offering up fanservice of her own accord), but other standouts for me were Henri for most of the final arc, and Komurasaki (Shouko's loli automaton) on the rare occasion that she actually appeared.

Oh, and the show does have one more thing going for it - dat ED. I could at least trust every episode to leave me feeling all right thanks to that catchy tune and fun animation (which did include plenty of Komurasaki!) Easily one of the best EDs of the season.

Verdict: Disappointing, but I'd probably come back for a second season to see more cute girls and out of less-than-optimistic curiosity about the fate of the show's hanging plot threads.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Lemme see, Kill la Kill, Log Horizon, Diamond No Ace, Gundam Build Fighters, Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta, Gingitsune, Kyousougiga and even Coppelion are my recommendations for the season.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I hope you're not saying this about GBF.

GBF is the reason I started watching anime again.

After finishing Uchouten and completely hating it I quit anime for months.

But between GBF and Eisu I have found my love for anime again. The cycle continues. GBF in particular is the best Gundam TV series ever made.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I hope you're not saying this about GBF.
It seems digestible but not particularly memorable. I like the fight sequences but the story elements are usually kind of a drag. The only character I think I like is Bearguy girl, but she just gets stuck with junky filler episodes. To be clear I don't think every show is bad this season, just that none of them really standout as being very good either.

Dresden

It seems digestible but not particularly memorable. I like the fight sequences but the story elements are usually kind of a drag.

I can't believe you're saying this about the deep gunpla mythos.

Gundam Build Fighters is Angelic Layer with Gundams. Its not a real Gundam series.

It's a gundam show with gundams made to sell gundam toys, you can't get more gundam than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom