• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
From the New World was genuinely good science-fiction.

It was better written than most anime that came out this year and the last.;p

Yeah. But at least it wasn't PsychoPass, I guess.
hey hey ..Psycho pass was great ..i loved it from start to finish . While it could have been better i loved the setting , the characters and aside from that infamous ep 19 ?( 20? ) the animation was consistent.

Psycho pass is trully welcomed in my heart.
The main heroine i disliked her a lot ...but by the end she grew on me. The whole cast trully shined from start to finish .

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
hey hey ..Psycho pass was great ..i loved it from start to finish . While it could have been better i loved the setting , the characters and aside from that infamous ep 19 ?( 20? ) the animation was consistent.

The main heroine i disliked her a lot ...but by the end she grew on me. The whole cast trully shined from start to finish .

I'm with ya pal.

I liked Psycho Pass. It just happened to be inconsistent.

From the New World is on the short list of best anime of the 21st century. Whatever production inconsistencies it had couldn't detract from how incredible the story was on every level (and the production at times really back that up, too; it wasn't like it was poorly produced). This is a great example of a genuinely adult and well thought out sci-fi anime that doesn't pull punches and backs up great social commentary with good character work.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I guess I should watch Yamato. FTNW was really bad though. Never got around to finishing it.

I'm in the mood for some Christmas movies. What is the best Christmas themed anime film? Is there anything better than Tokyo Godfathers (which was a superb film, probably my favorite from Kon. )

firehawk12

Subete no aware
From the New World is on the short list of best anime of the 21st century. Whatever production inconsistencies it had couldn't detract from how incredible the story was on every level (and the production at times really back that up, too; it wasn't like it was poorly produced). This is a great example of a genuinely adult and well thought out sci-fi anime that doesn't pull punches and backs up great social commentary with good character work.
I'm still scarred by the snail infodump. That should be classified as a form of abuse. :(

I don't think I have anything to say about PP other than it bored me. I said it in IRC, but Almost Human is basically a more interesting version of PP... and it's not even that great. lol

Midonin

La croisée dans un labyrinthe étranger
The Beginning of Japan's Love Affair with France

Little town, it's a quiet village. Every day, like the one before. Little town, full of little people. Waking up to say... Bonjour! Okay, no more Disney musicals out of me. But I am, for some reason, drawn to underperforming shows with European (mostly French) elements. Dantalian, KamiNai, this one. I've heard it alternately described as a moe show (which it sort of is) and a character drama (which it also sort of is), but I view it as...

An inverse Kin-iro Mosaic meets Tamako Market, set in France. It even has a Japanese girl with a kokeshi haircut and a blonde named Alice, the only difference is which one of the pair is doing the fangirling over who in this scenario. Nao Toyama and Aoi Yuki's performances as Yune and Alice were spot on. I like Yuki's Madoka like voice, but her Hibiki/Alice voice just has so much energy that it's fun to watch. And Yune is brimming with cuteness in just about every shot she's in.

The show had a wonderful sense of mise-en-scene too. Time was carefully spent in each episode showing the Galerie, and the people in it, with small snippets of other stories playing out in passing. The world was populated, and alive, and all the detail put into the French village was beautiful to look at. The use of the French narrator for the title cards and opening narration was well done, too. Seeing Yune adjust to it all was a sometimes awkward, sometimes heartwarming, experience, and it wasn't just her story. Claude, Alice and Camille got plenty of time to let us see their psyches, too. Even the little boy from the streets had his storyline set up as early as the first episode, and he got some wonderful payoff when Yune got sick.

One of my favorite scenes was from early on, when Alice brought over a collection of Japanese things she'd acquired, and proceeded to show them off to Yune, in the completely wrong way. Though it had a bit of that "foreigners are silly!" vibe to it, it wasn't coming from a mean-spirited place. Alice's affections were genuine. Which is my other favorite moment involving her was her reaction to the story of Princess Kaguya. Wanting to have her own agency makes her progressive for her time.

I did watch episode 4.5 in its preferred spot during this experience, and besides introducing Shione before that heartbreaking revelation in episode 11, the way it expressed the universality of music was wonderful. It was then I realized that "Saite Sakura" was Yune's leitmotif. Episode 10 is good for similar reasons, delving into the start of film. Amazing what people could do with only a drum and a projector.

The opening was peaceful and jaunty, and Nao Toyama's ED was soothing. Perfectly fitting for the tone of the series, and songs that I'd want to listen to time and time again to put me in a good mood.

Final Thoughts: A lot of things I'm looking for in anime are here, in a different setting. The look at international relations reminds me of Kinmosa and the shopping district setting calls to mind Tamako, but the Parisian backdrop gives the whole thing an air of beauty in addition to a show that's filled with as much social commentary as it is super-impactful cuteness. Yune and Alice both have a wonderful strength of will, and the rest of the supporting cast is good, too. A superbly enjoyable time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So there was a Yune and Alice spinoff where they traipse off to Japan and have wacky Japanese adventures, and it really felt like Kiniro Mosaic ended up being that show. lol

Quasar

The lust in IS2 is mostly abated though, in typical harem protag fashion. In that respect, it come closer to being a harem show, but fails because of it!

On the male side, sure. But then aside from the climax/epilogue of S1 he's not really shown of those kinds of feelings. And then they through that all away. The girls though continued to desire him lots + the addition of the sisters. Admittedly it led to mostly just stupid violent outbursts for the most part. But thats at least something.

Of course its a bit pointless arguing about what shitty harem season is more shitty than the other. They were both shitty, though IS2 at least had a couple of moments. For me at least. And it does make me want to see the LNs just to see if its just bad implementation of the core IS story or not. Though perhaps just a summary will do.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
iFrg2e5U9fyk6.jpg

Can someone spoil this series a little for me? How many of the main characters did this effer ultimately get killed?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
On the male side, sure. But then aside from the climax/epilogue of S1 he's not really shown of those kinds of feelings. And then they through that all away. The girls though continued to desire him lots + the addition of the sisters. Admittedly it led to mostly just stupid violent outbursts for the most part. But thats at least something.

Of course its a bit pointless arguing about what shitty harem season is more shitty than the other. They were both shitty, though IS2 at least had a couple of moments. For me at least. And it does make me want to see the LNs just to see if its just bad implementation of the core IS story or not. Though perhaps just a summary will do.

Let's just be clear, IS1 >>>>>>>>>>> BoobJoust >>> IS2.

So there was a Yune and Alice spinoff where they traipse off to Japan and have wacky Japanese adventures, and it really felt like Kiniro Mosaic ended up being that show. lol
Quite true.. i feel that it worked better in kirino mozaik than in "la croisee".

I'm with ya pal.

I liked Psycho Pass. It just happened to be inconsistent.
I'm not even sure what was inconsistent in PP.
There was a good build -up acorss the arcs, Problem is that some characters don't have nearly enough time to shine properly. BUt i'm hoping this will be fixed in the sequel.

A summary won't help you. IMo there are 2 differences between Anime and Ln and that is the execution ( how everything is handled and at what speed )
and the amount of fanservice ( that is killing the plot and teh time needed for the serious parts ).

Some events are certainly similar , but how every character behave during and between those events that is making the difference here.

Can someone spoil this series a little for me? How many of the main characters did this effer ultimately get killed?

Out of the group of 6 , 2 die because of other reasons , 2 are killed because of him but his actions basicly reduced the human populace by more than 70% So yeah he did kill a lot of people including all the characters that aren't saki and satoru.

Quasar

A summary won't help you. IMo there are 2 differences between Anime and Ln and that is the execution ( how everything is handled and at what speed )
and the amount of fanservice ( that is killing the plot and teh time needed for the serious parts ).

Some events are certainly similar , but how every character behave during and between those events that is making the difference here.

Fair enough. I might look into them. I've kind of enjoyed my foray into the High School DxD novels. The world is a whole lot more developed and interesting than I expected. And some stuff got more developed that I wanted (more Akeno). Of course there also some stuff that is so stupid the mind boggles.

Irrelevant since he was the true hero of the series.

I'm not sure how he was an hero since he failed at reaching his ultimate goal and resulted to ignoble tactics to try to reach those goals.
He was fighting to get back something his tribe lost ages ago and failed again.he basicly went against evolution even if the human society wasn't perfect by any means. The only thing he did was to show that to some extent but that is something that would have been taken care of even if he didn't do a thing.

-------------
Hunter x Hunter - 110

Hunter%20X%20Hunter%20-%20110.jpg

Ah Ah ha i'm dying over there

Yet again an excellent episode showing the castle side before the storm arrives.. meanwhile we have more thinking outside the box in order to get answers and a Good deal of info to help everyone understanding what's happening .

GOOD STUFF

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
If you really want spoilers...
Saki and Satoru are the only surviving members of the original 6-person group.

Out of the group of 6 , 2 die because of other reasons , 2 are killed because of him but his actions basicly reduced the human populace by more than 70% So yeah he did kill a lot of people including all the characters that aren't saki and satoru.

I hope he met a cruel death.

Irrelevant since he was the true hero of the series.

You've got some splaining to do.

From the New World debates? It's like the year has come full circle.
This isn't an issue that will die any time soon.

The anime circle.

When BGBW sobers up from his holiday pub escapades.
AH AH AH Oh Wow.

Fair enough. I might look into them. I've kind of enjoyed my foray into the High School DxD novels. The world is a whole lot more developed and interesting than I expected. And some stuff got more developed that I wanted (more Akeno). Of course there also some stuff that is so stupid the mind boggles.

Well don't go reading IS expecting the awesome level of writing that dxd has ..
You'll be disapointed.
There are Lns i can read again and again ...( dxd for example ) , but IS is certainly NOT one of them.
Squealer was right.

History is written by the victors , and squealer certainly LOST.

I'm not sure how he was an hero since he failed at reaching his ultimate goal and resulted to ignoble tactics to try to reach those goals.
He was fighting to get back something his tribe lost ages ago and failed again.he basicly went against evolution even if the human society wasn't perfect by any means. The only thing he did was to show that to some extent but that is something that would have been taken care of even if he didn't do a thing.

He was a crusader against the imperialist humans, and yes he ultimately failed, because From the New World was a tragedy about a failed rebellion against a much more powerful group. His actions may have been 'ignoble', but they were downright humane compared to all of the shit the humans subjected the monster rats to, and fundamentally a group of slaves or disenfranchised people can't be in the wrong when they revolt. We don't have the right to judge them for doing everything in their power to try and gain their freedom, because that should be their fundamental goal, and anyone who isn't helping them is complicit in hundreds of years of slavery and subjugation. This is ultimately the point. Saki and Satoru are unaware until the very end of just how rotten their society is, and can't see the world the way the monster rats do. His efforts were also pretty important in exposing certain elements of the society to people who might have otherwise never noticed it, and he was able to mobilize the disenfranchised in a huge way.

As far as evolution goes, that holds no water when there's genetic modification at work. The division was a result of conscious design, rather than evolution. Plus, his goals to fight against social darwinists who were trying to subjugate a group based on supposed genetic inferiority should be championed in that light.

Jarmel

Banned

It kinda was though.

@KuwabaraTheMan
My take on evolution is that people with the gene won against those who hadn't them. Dna modification arrived Later ( to prevent them from going havk ) That is this part that went against evolution meant. Regular Humans lost ... Squealer tried to fight back but in the end failed too

Articalys

While I'm glad Noragami is getting a simulcast, it's a shame that Funimation are the ones doing so; was hoping it would go to CR -- though WTK pointed out that Funi was the likely pick anyway.

Dresden

It had moments of poor production, and moments of great production. I would have liked for the quality of certain episodes to be much higher, but it wasn't a train wreck in that regard.

Inconsistencies regarding its production aside, the sweep and ambition of the story is enough to put it over the top for me. It's the sort of sf that doesn't get written anymore, let alone produced.

/XX/

Watched recently Pierrot's production Legend Of The Millennium Dragon on a Spanish TV channel (http://www.plus.es/programacion/la-leyenda-del-dragon-milenario/E1058141/), and sweet mercy! What a splendid effects animation, in particular and what I think is the standout during the first awakening of Orochi... really amazing!

The problem is that I can't find what else to say that I found remarkable, aside from some other animation related technical merits.

And more animation goodness to obtain and watch sheet by sheet; today (December, 25 already in Japan) comes out another 'genga' book, this one based on your favourite 'sakuga' mermaids from Muromi-san:

一迅社WEB | 既刊検索
http://data.ichijinsha.co.jp/book/booksearch/booksearch_detail.php?i=75801342

P.S. to /XX/

If you're reading then I had actually planned on watching this due to Hitokage and others comments. While I appreciate your post of the news of more Tenchi Muyo!, the timing is just coincidence,haha. ;)
Perfect timing indeed! While they keep working in this new project, I'll sure look forward to your impressions of their old works in the meantime.

KLK Soundtrack leaked.

Great. Happy Christmas Eve.
Good thing to come out of this KILL la KILL soundtrack release,
apart of all the fun from the 'game of deceiving' seen on /a/ threads
, is that it brings just in time fresh material ready to remix for the MOGRA COUNTDOWN 2013/2014 club event... waiting to hear what they cook-up for the party!

Quasar

Will the circle be unbroken?

IS2 is an incoherent mess. Tell me exactly what Phantom Task was trying to do all season. I bet you can't because even the author has no fucking clue!

Attempt to kill off IS pilots, I think. I'm probably more confused by S2 Tabane.

An whilst IS2 is a mess, it had segments and characters I liked. Whereas Romanze may have had coherency but it was a bland unromantic story filled with bland characters of blandness. Aside from Celia who got far to little screentime. Also it frequently failed to carry the feeling of momentum with the armoured knights riding full speed that it needed to. But thats probably being nitpicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom