• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Xmas to everyone! Including those with JoJo cats!

Haha thanks. Its not Xmas here yet but Merry Christmas for everyone here in the anime thread.

Wanted to watch Yamato for a very long time after seeing some screenshots posted in this thread. Only had the time now because of the holiday break.

Just got Iona in Kantai Collection.

Ars Nova is maybe over but she can stay the flagship of my heart for 2 weeks longer. And after this I need to craft Taiho.

Now, I'm hyped for the KanColle anime and the incoming SW stuff.
Humi DA GOD. Are these maidens in there too?

H0OQLng.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
yamato 2199 01
what is this? where did it come from? images are dense with detail that sell the world. characters are emotive without latching on to a single mood that they get caught up in. only bad thing was the roller coaster spaceship physics.

duckroll

yamato 2199 01
what is this? where did it come from? images are dense with detail that sell the world. characters are emotive without latching on to a single mood that they get caught up in. only bad thing was the roller coaster spaceship physics.

Yeah, and they actually fix the terrible physics once the show gets under way! I can't believe it either. But it exists!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yeah, and they actually fix the terrible physics once the show gets under way! I can't believe it either. But it exists!
Neat. I am super excited to watch more. Really glad the recent batch of impressions exposed me to this.

jbug617

Banned
This is more of question about AOTY. Silver Spoon is split cour but seems to me they are treating it as different seasons. So S1 of Silver Spoon should be eligible?

CorvoSol

\
But it has FMP, Eva and Unicorn!!! Best SRW ever!

ARE YOU SHITTING ME?

DOES IT HAVE FMP?

YOU CANNOT LIE

THIS IS IMPORTANT SHIT MAN

I WILL IMPORT THAT SHIT

PLEASE DON'T LET THAT BE A FUCKING JOKE.

I NEED TO CHECK THIS NOW

EDIT: YYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
But why the fuck no Sigma?
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Funimation licensed the Live Action movie Space Battleship Yamato.

http://4NN.cx/140737
"Truly, the Japanese Battlestar Galactica." lol
If nothing else, this is probably where they got the idea to genderswap Yamamoto from anyway.

It's the DBZ of basketball Anime, it was enjoyable for a bit but once they started introducing us to the supervillains *the generation of miracles* shit went straight downhill...

Nah man, even if you dislike the series thing just start to get going when the series begun introducing another GoM beside Kise..
What are the abilities of the other guys? Because I checked out after they introduced a guy who could hit 3 pointers from anywhere in the world. You'd think a guy so good would get drafted faster than Lebron James.

Detective Conan 260:
Hey, that was a pretty good anime original case. I liked that they gave Kogorou the chance to be pretty perceptive and figure out a lot of what was going on himself, and there was a neat twist near the end. Of course, that means that almost everyone was guilty in some way. Nothing great, but it's a neat surprise to sit down for an AO case and have something that's actually pretty solid and has some well sketched out characters (and the one problem I had initially wound up actually being incorporated in the case, with the other murder method being specifically addressed as being unreliable).

I have no idea. The series is almost 10 years old so maybe they don't think it's worth it anymore.

Well, it's only two years old than Ace of the Diamond which just got an anime, so maybe there's still some hope alive. Shounen Magazine in general can be weird with anime; it took Hajime no Ippo well over a decade to get an anime.

jbug617

Banned
What are the abilities of the other guys? Because I checked out after they introduced a guy who could hit 3 pointers from anywhere in the world. You'd think a guy so good would get drafted faster than Lebron James.

I'm going to list their general power but some have another ability but I don't want to spoil it. I also don't want to spoil the last 2 G.O.M skills

Kuroko- Misdirection
Kagami- High Jumping ability
Midorima- Super far 3 pointers
Kise- Copies
Aomine- good at everything

There are also other players who also have skills. This season you learn of the Crownless Kings who were the lower tier of the G.O.M. Teppei and Hanamiya were part of that group.

Jex

On Yamato I'm 11 episodes in, and I feel like they all deserve writeups I'm too lazy to make. Every episode from 3 onwards has been top-notch sci-fi. I like the texture they've been giving to the Gamillian side, I like the dynamics between everyone on the ship, I think each episode has been framed really well, and I think the visual design is top notch.

It's much stronger than I ever expected it'd be.

yamato 2199 01

This has been a pretty slow snowball but I'm glad to see that it's finally gathering place.

Jex

[Gundam Build Fighters] - 12

This was easily the worst episode of the series. Which isn't to say it was terrible, but the direction, editing, animation etc was all far, far worse than usual. It was almost completely lacking in charm or elegance.

Kazzy

Wow, um, so some bannings happened? Reading back, that's like one of the saddest things that I've ever seen. Really lends perspective to people trying to find validation through the internet, whether that be well-intentioned or otherwise (which is how it seems to be).

-------

Anywho, I might actually use my holiday to watch some anime, which seems to be my own personal joke. Thought that I'd be able to watch all of Kill la Kill in it's entirely, but as it turns out, staying up 24 hours prior to a 13 hour flight from Tokyo isn't a good idea! I had to stop watching when I kept forgetting plot points in episode 2.

My mind would literally not accept anime!

Narag

[Gundam Build Fighters] - 12

This was easily the worst episode of the series. Which isn't to say it was terrible, but the direction, editing, animation etc was all far, far worse than usual. It was almost completely lacking in charm or elegance.

Getting to twelve eps without a misstep or regression is commendable at least.

Taruranto

Kyousougiga #10 Congratulation Inari!

"Thank you"

Well, this was good. Freacking good.

It's rare for me to find an anime that I really enjoyed in this era of LN adaptations, failed noitaminA originals and B-tier manga adaptations and to look back and think "Yeah, this was fucking good", but Kyousougiga completely fits the bill.

To be honest, I can't pinpoint what I like exactly, but I guess it's that it wanted to tell a story, it knew how to do it.

I'm also so glad they didn't went with some weird-incest route with Koto and Myoue.

Midonin

Miss Monochrome, as far as shorts go, did enough weird things to stand out in its short runtime. Though the majority of it was gag-punchline from a character created by Yui Horie, there was some pretty sad things that went on. Like the death of a beloved Roomba or the entire Earth being scorched and everybody being reincarnated in several thousands of years. That was a little weird. Also the fact that Monochrome got her start to becoming an idol via Old St. Nick. And the Nendoroid tie-in. As far as shorts go, it's not the wackiest I've seen (that goes to Ai Mai Mii), but it has the most somber undertones to the whole thing. When the series starts with the main character being swindled of their entire life savings and never getting it back...

So this is what the mind of an idol makes. It was a nice appetizer for Super Sonico, at least, which is the idol mascot anime to keep an eye on.

Fall 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales

26,601 *4 Infinite Stratos 2 [DVD+BD]: 2013/10/30
*5,677 *1 Yowamushi Pedal [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/20
*3,010 *1 Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~ [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/18
- - - - - - - - - - - Manabi Line (2,899) - - - - - - - - - - -
*1,030 *1 Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/12
**,882 *1 Galilei Donna [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/13
**,*** *0 Diabolik Lovers [DVD]: 2013/11/27
**,*** *0 Coppelion [DVD+BD]: 2013/11/27
**,*** *0 Outbreak Company [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/18
**,*** *0 Meganebu! [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/20
**,*** *0 Nagi no Asukara [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/20

Bold is everything released last week.

More info (including the DVD/BD list) Via something

YowaPedal v1 sells 2574/3103, total 5,677. v1 and v2 have event tickets, v3 has a drama CD, and it's 13 discs, so expect this number to be much lower in a few months.

Yozakura v1 sells 1985/1025, total 3,010. This volume had the event ticket application for the joint event with Drrr!!, so guess where most of the sales came from... v2 is on track to sell far less. Expected, but still sad. Phenomenal show.

Outbreak Company, Nagi no Asu Kara, Meganebu! have yet to be ranked in either format

And out this week
BlazBlue Alter Memory [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/25
Freezing Vibration [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/25
Gingitsune [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/25
Golden Time [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/25
Kakumeiki Valvrave season 2 [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/25
Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/25
Non Non Biyori [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/25
Samurai Flamenco [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/25
Tesagure! Bukatsumono [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/25
White Album 2 [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/25
Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio Ars Nova [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/27
Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/27
Walkure Romanze [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/27
Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita. [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/27

CorvoSol

Apocalypse Zero 1

Man in uhm, a leather speedo and kneesocks (and literally nothing else) fighting a tit bear mutant. OH GOD A SPIKED THONG ON A TROLL WHY WHAT WHY WHY WHO RECOMMENDED THIS FOR AN INNOCENT LITTLE BOY LIKE ME? Squeezes her guts out like a tube of toothpaste. Gosh. She rips his face off. Oh God. She sewed it on her nipple. I am never unseeing this. She pukes the dude up. His face is gone and his flesh is digested. And I am never going to unsee this whole thing. Kicking this lady's brains out is the least most horrible thing so far.

Wow,
Harara sort of turned out to be evil really fast.
Oh yeah creepy patchwork bondage slaves and also some bruisers from the local leather club. When did Harara get boobs? She didn't have none when this OVA started. A flower with a mouth? Trying not to see this as a metaphor.

"You take my individuality and intend to make me another cog in the machine!!" Okay, at this point I'm not sure, but I think the "message" is that gays are the real monsters? If that's not the "message" it's certainly an unfortunate implication at this point. Aaaaaand now I have seen a laser penis.

This was dumb, violent, grotesque and really, really horrible.

I'm also glad people are watching Yamato. In retrospect I should have posted about it when I watched it last month - in the space of 4 days no less - but I incorrectly assumed everyone had seen it already. I'd think it would be top 5 in my AOTY list, even though I'm having trouble remembering everything that came out this year. Backlog causing confusion.

Yozakura Quartet 10

This show normally looks good, but this episode is HOT. Maybe even KyoAni hot. Equally as impressive, is that the low key character moments all land firmly and make for a thoroughly impressive episode all around. In particular, I appreciate that Hime is painted in a more complex light than the selfless justice crusader she can appear to be during the action sequences. Also, that adorable Ao head rub gif is from this episode :p Not bad for a show I only wanted some awesome action out of when I started watching.

Jex

I'm also glad people are watching Yamato. In retrospect I should have posted about it when I watched it last month - in the space of 4 days no less - but I incorrectly assumed everyone had seen it already. I'd think it would be top 5 in my AOTY list, even though I'm having trouble remembering everything that came out this year. Backlog causing confusion.
You might assume so but, for the most part, it pretty much went under the radar because it was released so slowly no-one really watched it as it came out meaning no-one was writing anything about it besides a few people.

Hanamaru Kindergarten 3

Viciously Dense Teacher has quite the pair. She has this charm that apparently gives her extra swag and makes delinquints nice. Clearly, she's the primary antagonist! Turns down men by thinking they're not approaching her.

Hii needs her mouth back though D:

ARE YOU SHITTING ME?

DOES IT HAVE FMP?

YOU CANNOT LIE

THIS IS IMPORTANT SHIT MAN

I WILL IMPORT THAT SHIT

PLEASE DON'T LET THAT BE A FUCKING JOKE.

I NEED TO CHECK THIS NOW

EDIT: YYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
But why the fuck no Sigma?
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Lol corvo
Just like in project x zone and megaman the arbalest will be the last mech you'll unlock

;-)

Branduil

Top 10 anime I've seen this year, list is probably going to change pretty soon:

1. The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki

2. Little Witch Academia

3. The Garden of Words

4. From the New World

5. Rozen Maiden

6. Death Billiards

7. Hanasaku Iroha: Home Sweet Home

8. Valvrave the Liberator

9. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

10. Attack on Titan

giphy.gif

Just noticed that Gintama: The Movie: Be Forever Yorozuya is finally out.

Looks like Christmas came a day early for me.

EDIT: Eh subs suck.

Guess I'm going to have to rewatch it again when the better ones comes out.

CorvoSol

Lol corvo
Just like in project x zone and megaman the arbalest will be the last mech you'll unlock

;-)

That is hurtful, sorrowful and painful talk right there. I would wait until the last map to play as the ARX-8, though. I would do it. For Al, I would do that.

Harara was a he at the start of the OVA this will be answered on the second episode.

I, what? WHAT? Oh man what the heck this anime is crazy stuff.

Man, Corvo's advantage for it is that he isn't watching it at night, so his brain isn't being deprived of oxygen, unlike me.

The positive side is that it also allows me to remember what I have seen. The negative side is I wish I had never seen half that shit.

On an unrelated note, today's Monogatari girls rankings by me are as follows:

Mrs. Araragi > Hanekawa + Cat > Kanbaru > Hachikuji > Senjougahara > Tsuhiki > Shinobu > Karen > Sengoku > Kaiki > Nightmares > Pain > Agony > Physical Pain > A blow to the nads > Ougi.

This is a roundabout way of saying that Hachikuji and Shinobu have jumped up in the ranks by hitting puberty and also that Oshino Ougi is a creepy awful thing I never wanted to see ever.

Theonik

I, what? WHAT? Oh man what the heck this anime is crazy stuff.
Everyone refers to him as a he and he also calls him brother. And his father calls him son. Then you see. The flashbacks. The moment. IT WILL ALL MAKE SENSE.
I mean yes it's crazy stuff but the good bonkers crazy stuff imo.

You might assume so but, for the most part, it pretty much went under the radar because it was released so slowly no-one really watched it as it came out meaning no-one was writing anything about it besides a few people.

Ah right. I can see how that would deter people from jumping in. In fact, Yozakura Quartet's now unreliable sub situation has slightly dampened my excitement, for the reason that I don't have a date that I know I'll be able to finish the show any more.

I guess I came prepared which is why it left less of an impression. But you should've known better by now!

BUT I'M THE KIRBYAYOI! I DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER!

Hanamaru Kindergarten 4

Well I do give this props, it doesn't feel creepy like Kodomo no Jikan. But that one teacher keeps sucking everyone into her vortex of charm!

Oh well, Anzu got her date at least.... and Tsuchida had zero tact even on a playdate! Come ON! Drinking milk that has two straws in it... ON YOUR OWN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom