• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inconsistencies regarding its production aside, the sweep and ambition of the story is enough to put it over the top for me. It's the sort of sf that doesn't get written anymore, let alone produced.

Exactly. For a story as ambitious as that, I'll overlook production issues. You don't see stories with that sort of maturity, ambition and depth anywhere on television these days, never mind in anime. I'm still kind of shocked the show even got made at all. Subversive and heavily political sf with that sort of reach is a nearly dead art form on television, and is not the sort of material which gets much money invested into it.

Taruranto

Squealer was right.

ak4OSZS.jpg

If only...

Exactly. For a story as ambitious as that, I'll overlook production issues. You don't see stories with that sort of maturity, ambition and depth anywhere on television these days, never mind in anime. I'm still kind of shocked the show even got made at all. Subversive and heavily political sf with that sort of reach is a nearly dead art form on television, and is not the sort of material which gets much money invested into it.

Agree.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka is totally interesting throughout its entire run!
Substance > style. Writing > direction.

What? Anime, maybe, but television?

I haven't seen much of any thought provoking sci-fi being produced on television in the last five years or so, especially compared to the old days. I'm not saying nothing exists, but it definitely feels like truly ambitious and motivated sf has been marginalized in favor of glitz and glamor and meaningless crap. Although maybe I'm just bitter from having seen Doctor Who go from the former to the latter, but it feels to me like the genre in general has almost completely stagnated on television. There aren't really many compelling series being made now.

Dresden

From the New World is the kind of anthropological science fiction that doesn't exist anymore, though. Attempts at it are made in the west (at least in deadpapermedium), but they're just not that good, and it's the first work of its sort to succeed that I've seen in the last ten years. I doubt there's anything like it on western tv - not just sf, but this particular sort of sf.

Branduil

From the New World is the kind of anthropological science fiction that doesn't exist anymore, though. Attempts at it are made in the west (at least in deadpapermedium), but they're just not that good, and it's the first work of its sort to succeed that I've seen in the last ten years. I doubt there's anything like it on western tv - not just sf, but this particular sort of sf.

Yeah I can't think of a whole lot of hard anthropological sci-fi on TV period.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Style = substance.
Substylstance.

I haven't seen much of any thought provoking sci-fi being produced on television in the last five years or so, especially compared to the old days. I'm not saying nothing exists, but it definitely feels like truly ambitious and motivated sf has been marginalized in favor of glitz and glamor and meaningless crap. Although maybe I'm just bitter from having seen Doctor Who go from the former to the latter, but it feels to me like the genre in general has almost completely stagnated on television. There aren't really many compelling series being made now.
I suppose this comes down to personal preference, but I vastly preferred the ruminations on Black Mirror to what I saw of SSY.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Snowman-san OVA

ibmN6kAdBt1Nsl.jpg

This is one of the most beautiful bits of anime I have ever seen. Like super good! The story is mostly about a boy and his snowman and the adventures they have over the course of the night, but I don't really want to spoil much more than that because that would just ruin the shocking surprise at the end! The animation is really good, like some of the best I've ever seen. Like there's a bit with the house rotating and you know most lesser studios would just use CGI for that. They made some good choices with the voice actors with the likes of Yoshitsugu Matsuoka providing the voice of the Snowman and Wakamoto as the boy. Also need to make a mention of the insert song sung by Aki Toyosaki, it's really catchy. It's one of the best tunes I've heard in an anime in a long time and you know that's saying something. So yeah, highly recommended. Five stars * * * * *

i4QLgO4l5Rw6X.jpg

ibOPRxS3DWN2I.jpg

RIP Snowman-san. ;___;7

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

CorvoSol

Snowman-san OVA

ibmN6kAdBt1Nsl.jpg

This is one of the most beautiful bits of anime I have ever seen. Like super good! The story is mostly about a boy and his snowman and the adventures they have over the course of the night, but I don't really want to spoil much more than that because that would just ruin the shocking surprise at the end! The animation is really good, like some of the best I've ever seen. Like there's a bit with the house rotating and you know most lesser studios would just use CGI for that. They made some good choices with the voice actors with the likes of Yoshitsugu Matsuoka providing the voice of the Snowman and Wakamoto as the boy. Also need to make a mention of the insert song sung by Aki Toyosaki, it's really catchy. It's one of the best tunes I've heard in an anime in a long time and you know that's saying something. So yeah, highly recommended. Five stars * * * * *

i4QLgO4l5Rw6X.jpg

ibOPRxS3DWN2I.jpg

RIP Snowman-san. ;___;7

Wait that's an anime? I watched that as a kid. Had no idea.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Snowman-san OVA

ibmN6kAdBt1Nsl.jpg

i4QLgO4l5Rw6X.jpg

ibOPRxS3DWN2I.jpg

RIP Snowman-san. ;___;7

Wait, is that a Japanese version of Frosty?

Theonik

Snowman-san OVA

http://i.minus.com/ibmN6kAdBt1Nsl.jpg

http://i.minus.com/i4QLgO4l5Rw6X.jpg

http://i.minus.com/ibOPRxS3DWN2I.jpg

RIP Snowman-san. ;___;7

Bravo. The TBS logo makes this. Ahahaahahahahahahahahaaha.

He's washed up if forum users could come up with something like that
And?

cnet128

Banned
Snowman-san OVA

ibmN6kAdBt1Nsl.jpg

i4QLgO4l5Rw6X.jpg

ibOPRxS3DWN2I.jpg

RIP Snowman-san. ;___;7

Well done sir.

(This needed quoting for the new page.)

zeroshiki

I'm just happy that we're finally getting
Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann, and possibly Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

I have never played a SRW game before but I really want to. I gotta import the first Z game some time.

Then I'll have to agonizingly look at the guides and memorize what menu option is which.

Man, how do fans of these games who don't know Japanese put up with that?

I started playing SRW in the 5th grade (SRW EX!). I didn't know a lick of Japanese and I actually finished that game not knowing what a seishin was.

Its not that hard to get into the games since the major commands are repetitive so you'll remember them in no time!

zeroshiki

I like how the karaoke in Japanese is "Translated sentence." BGBW couldn't be bothered to change that part!

Oh yeah, Merry Christmas AnimeGAF

Narag

Snowman-san OVA

ibmN6kAdBt1Nsl.jpg

i4QLgO4l5Rw6X.jpg

ibOPRxS3DWN2I.jpg

RIP Snowman-san. ;___;7

This post is the best kind of christmas gift.

While I'm glad Noragami is getting a simulcast, it's a shame that Funimation are the ones doing so; was hoping it would go to CR -- though WTK pointed out that Funi was the likely pick anyway.

Never understood peoples disappointment in CR getting anime. With the current release schema of anime here, I would rather funi and viz get anime then CR and Sentai. Well unless one has no interesting in physically owning a product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom