• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Haly, Corvo, me and I think partially Wonzo are all firmly in the "Ame is an asshole" camp.

Doesn't change the fact it was an absolutely assholeish way of going about it. The guy picked the worst time to just abandon his entire lifestyle and gave no warning to his incredibly caring and hard working mother, yet it has the portrayal of a friggin "if you love him, let Free Willy go!" scene.

I'm not going to tell a fictional character how to react to things, but how the whole finale was portrayed didn't sit right with me at all.

I think ame is kinda a asshole too

Oh yeah, hosanna was in that discussion too.

I'll give the same answer I gave last week :p He was raised human.

He was raised as a wolf too, remember, by essentially a substitute father.

I think people also need to remember that Wolf Children is in a sense a fable of motherhood. Ame's story is there to show a mother's hard but necessary job of letting her son go, even if it is to a life that she may not have wished for him. The wolf-human duality places this theme into a more extreme context than how it plays out in real life, which allows the theme to stand out that much more.

kiryogi

Banned
Steins; Gate Movie

I thought that was pretty damn great, surprised people seem not like it.
The story feel like legit follow-up of the original and even adding a lot to some part like Reading Steiner and Okabe's fondness to Hououin Kyouma name..

The main theme of the movie also great,
Steins; Gate have great ending but its feel kinda lonely and sad that in the end only Okabe that remember everything he going through, so I really like the movie feel like Kurisu's journey to understand that suffering and remain as Okabe's OTP <3

I found it pretty enjoyable. Although not mindblowing as the original. It's simply more Steins;Gate, however if you love Kurisu, this is absolutely for those fans. That said, it just cements the fact on just how lovable the cast was. But also has a really great take on the relationship between Okabe and Kurisu.

fertygo

Try to tell pack of wolves to not eat you if you screwing up at your camping trip.
"yo dude, don't eat me, you're not asshole"

That's what I mean bby if Ame being asshole really affecting the movie quality, or its just the case people being salty the story pick direction that they don't like.

But that isn't something a human would think about in the moment, especially not one whose son decided to up and leave in a storm without any kind of communication.

It is something that Hana had thought about though, as seen in the scene where she argues with Ame about being only 12 and not yet an adult, then realizing with a shock that in wolf years he is already an adult.

It's a storm, man. He can't resist it. He's overtaken with the impulse and it's something he has resisted, and been aware of, for a long time now. He understands the risks (remember the scene with the caged wolf?) and yet this is something which is beyond his control.

But they didn't drive this point home thanks to Hana's near-immediate acceptance of the situation. She was not part of the buildup that let him get to that point, she was just a worried and conflicted mother more concerned with her son's well being than the possibility of never seeing him again because he decided to go all "I am one with the mountain because I am wolf!" bullshit. The whole "I will let my kids decide whether they want to be wolves or humans" thing wasn't something she thought about in years, and after growing accustomed to raising them as humans, it's unrealistic to think she'd be fine with the whole situation right away. Sure, she's an emotionally strong woman, but there's an adjustment period for these things and she was shown at multiple points in the movie to be no exception.

HA HA HA, Merry Xmas AnimuGAF.

8aAHPro.jpg

fertygo

I found it pretty enjoyable. Although not mindblowing as the original. It's simply more Steins;Gate, however if you love Kurisu, this is absolutely for those fans. That said, it just cements the fact on just how lovable the cast was. But also has a really great take on the relationship between Okabe and Kurisu.

Yup, the scene where [
B]Kurisu's bow into tears [/B]was damn
heavy :(

Its all worth it after the ending though.

Dresden

But they didn't drive this point home thanks to Hana's near-immediate acceptance of the situation. She was not part of the buildup that let him get to that point, she was just a worried and conflicted mother more concerned with her son's well being than the possibility of never seeing him again because he decided to go all "I am one with the mountain because I am wolf!" bullshit. The whole "I will let my kids decide whether they want to be wolves or humans" thing wasn't something she thought about in years, and after growing accustomed to raising them as humans, it's unrealistic to think she'd be fine with the whole situation right away. Sure, she's an emotionally strong woman, but there's an adjustment period for these things and she was shown at multiple points in the movie to be no exception.

She
goes hiking by herself through the mountain/forest in a storm while leaving her daughter stranded elsewhere the entire day, and nearly kills herself in the process.
It's not nearly immediate at all - that extended passage is basically her working through it.

kiryogi

Banned
Yup, the scene where Kurisu's bow into tears was damn heavy :(

Its all worth it after the ending though.

Actually, considering compared to TV, there was still some really heavy scenes in there that sorta hit me hard to be honest. Steins;Gate is so good.

She
goes hiking by herself through the mountain/forest in a storm while leaving her daughter stranded elsewhere the entire day, and nearly kills herself in the process.
It's not nearly immediate at all - that extended passage is basically her working through it.

I guess, though I still don't know if I'd call a few hours
(most of which were spent unconscious)
as an adjustment period.

I kind of would like to think Hana was just caught up in the moment after
a near-death experience
and deeply regretted just letting Ame go when she got home. Of course there was no indication of anything like that in the narration, but I'd still rather believe that.

Pooya

Wasn't SSY bad from all accounts though?

It's an often ugly looking show, with odd pacing but the original story is strong enough that can carry everything on its own and ending up really enjoyable as a whole. I think it has the best story among the 2013 shows, the second half this year was quite good.

As far as ranking go, I'm not sure if I should put it up my list, what I like about it is the story which is coming from the novel obviously, the anime execution isn't exactly great, still I can recommend watching it, it's not like the novel is as easily accessible anyway.

I feel mostly the same way ...
This was a good movie

With that said .

MERRY CHRISTMAS AnimeGaf

More like Merry Kurisumas!

I just watched this too, the movie isn't too bad, it feels it was made for fanservice still most of it were pretty boring until the last 1/3, I liked the ending.

CorvoSol

Things to discuss:
- Opening montage
- Classroom montage
- Curtain scene
- Was Ame really an asshole?

Surely you meant to ask "How big of an asshole was Ame?" right? Because the fact that he was an asshole was indisputable. Kid was an asshole.

You can't judge a wolf by human standards.

No, but I can judge a son against his father. Ame's dad was a wolf and he was a nice, caring man who understood the importance of a pack and caring for one's pack. Ame was an asshole who abandons his pack for the sake of fame and what was basically the honor of men in animal form. What kind of wolf abandons his pack to go off on his own? A really, really shitty one.

Ame was a huge asshole who didn't appreciate his pack, and moreover wasn't pure wolf, and disrespected his human heritage at the same time by you know, cutting off all ties with his family. Wolf Children is a movie heavily focused on family, and Ame discards his for some cool friends he made on the playground.

Ame is the WORST. I hate that rat bastard. If he had been excluded from the movie, I would gladly vote for it for AOTY, but his shit behavior has sold my vote to Flower's of Evil.

Gazoinks

Saint Young Men Movie

This was adorable and a lot of fun, although it might have worked better if it was split into four OVAs. I didn't find it as laugh-out-loud as the OVAs, but it was still good and it had some great scenes. Jesus bonding with the Yakuza was probably the best.

I enjoyed this stuff a lot, it's a shame there isn't a full series. It's nice to see a religious comedy that's not making fun of the religions involved. I guess there's always the manga.

Surely you meant to ask "How big of an asshole was Ame?" right? Because the fact that he was an asshole was indisputable. Kid was an asshole.

No, but I can judge a son against his father. Ame's dad was a wolf and he was a nice, caring man who understood the importance of a pack and caring for one's pack. Ame was an asshole who abandons his pack for the sake of fame and what was basically the honor of men in animal form. What kind of wolf abandons his pack to go off on his own? A really, really shitty one.

Ame was a huge asshole who didn't appreciate his pack, and moreover wasn't pure wolf, and disrespected his human heritage at the same time by you know, cutting off all ties with his family. Wolf Children is a movie heavily focused on family, and Ame discards his for some cool friends he made on the playground.

Ame is the WORST. I hate that rat bastard. If he had been excluded from the movie, I would gladly vote for it for AOTY, but his shit behavior has sold my vote to Flower's of Evil.

Yay, backup has arrived. You're better at this than I am.

Tokyo Ravens 12

Training camp time. Instead of power ups, we got relationship power ups which is equally as nice.

I really wonder if he'll actually figure out this whole Hotoko thing. Or will some new thing cause him to sideline it.

foxuzamaki

Did nobody watch tokyo ravens today? I feel alone cause I dont think anyone gave any impressions the entire day

Dresden

Tokyo Ravens 12

I really wonder if he'll actually figure out this whole Hotoko thing. Or will some new thing cause him to sideline it.

Reading your post, I was surprised at first that it still doesn't seem to have happened after twelve episodes, then I was surprised by myself being surprised by this.

Tokyo Ravens 12

Training camp time. Instead of power ups, we got relationship power ups which is equally as nice.

He'll figure it out and they'll find a way to reset the relationships anyway. Or maybe they'll just delay it.

Reading your post, I was surprised at first that it still doesn't seem to have happened after twelve episodes, then I was surprised by myself being surprised by this.
Yeah, you shouldn't have been surprised.

foxuzamaki

Tokyo Ravens 12

It seems he basically figured it out, he probably is just gonna sweep it under the rug for now though.

CorvoSol

Yay, backup has arrived. You're better at this than I am.

Also:

I am not a wolf. It sounds dumb, but what exactly am I supposed to think of the moral that a kid "chooses to be a wolf"? He's a little boy, he can't make that decision for himself. How am I meant to take a kid choosing to be a wild animal and abandoning his mother and sister, especially after we've seen his mother literally throw her life into danger numerous times for his sake? How is anyone supposed to see Ame as anything other than negative? I'm not a wolf, I'm a person, so I must see this as a human.

But beyond that, while I'm not a wolf, Ame is a pretty shitty one. Wolves are all about the pack and the family, and Ame treats his family as if it were unimportant. And the throwaway excuse about a magical obligation to his old teacher only complicates things, because severing ties and sacrificing relationships for the sake of duty and honor are distinctly human problems, and not ones animals would know. Especially since wolves tend to see loyalty to the alpha and to the pack, and not to the forest as a whole. If anything, Ame's decision to be a wolf should've moved him nearer to his mother and further from this nonsense of having a duty to a teacher.

Ame's arc as a whole also suffers from that same excuse of "he's a wolf so if you don't get it it is because you're thinking wrong." I'm not going to get in the head of a canine for an anime. It's the writer's job to make things understandable to at the bare minimum a human audience. Ame's decisions should be subject to human scrutiny, so saying he's a wolf doesn't let them off the hook. He still abandons his obligation to his mother without so much as a good-bye.

Kid's an ass.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Steins ; Gate Movie

I thought that was pretty damn great, surprised people seem not like it.
The story feel like legit follow-up of the original and even adding a lot to some part like Reading Steiner and Okabe's fondness to Hououin Kyouma name..
I watched something like 2/3rds of it and just never finished it. Conceptually the idea of a time traveler resetting all aberrant timelines and having to deal with an existence where they are incapable of pursuing this singular scientific success while being haunted by their mistakes is really cool. Unfortunately the movie doesn't really deliver on that idea or keep its own premise in mind. Instead it feels like some kind of investment was thrown at White Fox to make a sequel, and in turn it draws itself more to very slow exposition that trots out a lot of old faces to dance around and say the things you would expect them to say. The movie looks really cheap and lousy, and when you combine these really bland visuals with what felt like a really lazy and boring script it's hard to really keep an interest. Honestly it probably makes me think less of the original series.

zeroshiki

Corvo, FMP in SRW Z3. How excited are you? This is the first time FMP will be in a mainline game and thus the first time it will get proper animations and a decent moveset. I am so excited. Geass and VOTOMS showed that SS sized units can work in the SRW universe so I am confident FMP will be great.

Quasar

lol, of course.

But was it written and directed by a woman who could sympathize or identify with the main character?!

You must have loved the ANN Christmas episode that gave Zack another chance to air his grievances. Which I can understand, at least some of them, but I think that's the wrong kind of movie to get a depiction of single parenthood as anything close to real.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Merry Christmas all <3
How can GAF hate SAO so much? Listen, no one has tried harder to move beyond SAO but I know in my heart of hearts just how wrong GAF is on this. The show dubbed worse than Hitler, cancer and AIDS! That's really chucked up GAF.

...rewatching entire first season :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You must have loved the ANN Christmas episode that gave Zack another chance to air his grievances. Which I can understand, at least some of them, but I think that's the wrong kind of movie to get a depiction of single parenthood as anything close to real.
What does he say? Because after last week, I know I can't handle a Zac and Justin-only episode any more.

CorvoSol

Corvo, FMP in SRW Z3. How excited are you? This is the first time FMP will be in a mainline game and thus the first time it will get proper animations and a decent moveset. I am so excited. Geass and VOTOMS showed that SS sized units can work in the SRW universe so I am confident FMP will be great.

Haha, did you miss the part of the thread today where I went into a fit of hysterics over how goddamn happy I was? I'm stoked. Giddy. Elated. I want Sigma so so bad. Also I still think the anime versions of the ASes are approximately the same height as the Gundams in Wing, but whatever. Point is FMP IS BACK. SOUSUKE IS BACK BITCHES. FMP, EVA, TTGL, CG, UNICORN, GUNBUSTER, TBO. All it's missing is ZZ and G Gundam and a better version of E7 (I'll take PFoR over AO, though) and I swear I would die a happy birdy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom