• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some good ones when I asked the other day, now im looking to fill out the remainder of my 'to watch list'

What are the best fantasy(western style) setting anime?
So many modern romance/harem and mecha on my list but fantasy is severely lacking.

(Im a weird person who started binges a single genre at a time)

Theonik

Time for a Merry X-Mas
Imagine having Go PreCure as a Christmas present.

I gotta find out who ate my mom.
#DEAD

6000 yen gets you both Final Fantasy X and X-2. Spend your money there.
But if I'm buying FFX i'm better served setting my yen on fire. Gunbuster is a lot more worthwhile.

Yes, to the point of ruining the movie.
Sounds like a teenager.

HA HA HA, Merry Xmas AnimuGAF.

http://i.imgur.com/8aAHPro.jpg
Merry Witches!

Remember to check out the Wolf Children live action!

http://asianwiki.com/Woman_-_Japanese_Drama
NO

*sets to rewatch Apocolypse Zero with a group in May*

Some people are squeamish... not like they know which one will make them squirm!
Doing the lord's work.

Narag

Got some good ones when I asked the other day, now im looking to fill out the remainder of my 'to watch list'

So many modern romance/harem and mecha on my list but fantasy is severely lacking.

Record of Lodoss War
Berserk TV

fertygo

Also:

I am not a wolf. It sounds dumb, but what exactly am I supposed to think of the moral that a kid "chooses to be a wolf"? He's a little boy, he can't make that decision for himself. How am I meant to take a kid choosing to be a wild animal and abandoning his mother and sister, especially after we've seen his mother literally throw her life into danger numerous times for his sake? How is anyone supposed to see Ame as anything other than negative? I'm not a wolf, I'm a person, so I must see this as a human.

But beyond that, while I'm not a wolf, Ame is a pretty shitty one. Wolves are all about the pack and the family, and Ame treats his family as if it were unimportant. And the throwaway excuse about a magical obligation to his old teacher only complicates things, because severing ties and sacrificing relationships for the sake of duty and honor are distinctly human problems, and not ones animals would know. Especially since wolves tend to see loyalty to the alpha and to the pack, and not to the forest as a whole. If anything, Ame's decision to be a wolf should've moved him nearer to his mother and further from this nonsense of having a duty to a teacher.

Ame's arc as a whole also suffers from that same excuse of "he's a wolf so if you don't get it it is because you're thinking wrong." I'm not going to get in the head of a canine for an anime. It's the writer's job to make things understandable to at the bare minimum a human audience. Ame's decisions should be subject to human scrutiny, so saying he's a wolf doesn't let them off the hook. He still abandons his obligation to his mother without so much as a good-bye.

Kid's an ass.
The mother got message from the father to raise the kid to being either wolf or human. remember who the mother choose to teach his kid to being wolf? Old lonely wolf in zoo's cultivation, and then he goes to forest and find another mentor.. its another lone wolf..

The movie not ever stating wolves always belong in their pack, heck its the otherwise even.. from where the Father come from? does he have another family? he the only werewolf in Japan? For what we know he just lonely werewolf that suddenly have urge to mating with human. Also the movie always indicating their kind can snap at any time, we saw it with Yuki
that suddenly make his friend injured also brutally fight with Ame
, and the father
silly death

And with Ame decision to being full-fledge wolf, his animal instinct are easily more than Yuki and the Father that still snap even when they decide live as human.

And again why let say Ame is truly asshole why that should representing the quality of the movie. Cosmic have valid point in his opinion when he think he dislike the execution of certain scene, that's legit argument to the technical value of the movie can be judged objectively.

But I don't like "hurr duurr Ame is asshole thus why the movie sucked" type of complaint, because I learned my lesson with Graves of Fireflies..

(Im a weird person who started binges a single genre at a time)

You picked the wrong genre to watch anime in.

Oddly enough, it's a pretty underused setting these days. There are some good older ones, though. Berserk, Rune Soldier Louie, Slayers, Record of Lodoss. Scrapped Princess might count too. Provided you haven't seen any of those, of course.

I'm of course assuming you mean typical non-Japan JRPG settings when you say western style. If not, probably can't help you there.

zeroshiki

Haha, did you miss the part of the thread today where I went into a fit of hysterics over how goddamn happy I was? I'm stoked. Giddy. Elated. I want Sigma so so bad. Also I still think the anime versions of the ASes are approximately the same height as the Gundams in Wing, but whatever. Point is FMP IS BACK. SOUSUKE IS BACK BITCHES. FMP, EVA, TTGL, CG, UNICORN, GUNBUSTER, TBO. All it's missing is ZZ and G Gundam and a better version of E7 (I'll take PFoR over AO, though) and I swear I would die a happy birdy.

AS's look downright tiny compared to Gundams but my mind could be playing tricks on me. I hope its true that there will be more series announced because not actually having anything new will be a bummer on what is otherwise a godly lineup. I mean, EVA and FMP in the same game. Unfortunate that its the Rebuild EVAs but I hope they keep alot of the special stuff EVAs had in the previous games like EVAs being 10 times more expensive than normal units, EVAs requiring a plug, blowing Unit-01 up doesn't actually kill it but causes Shinji to go berserk, etc

Narag

Rurouni Kenshin 53

yu2gdb2l.png

These girls know what's up.

fertygo

People shouldn't mad if they picking shitty series like AO or Star Driver in SRW, there's always hope the team can write more interesting story for them, what matter is the show have some cool looking mech and attack to use.. AGE doesn't count because don't have any of those cool thing.

Oddly enough, it's a pretty underused setting these days. There are some good older ones, though. Berserk, Rune Soldier Louie, Slayers, Record of Lodoss. Scrapped Princess might count too. Provided you haven't seen any of those, of course.

I'm of course assuming you mean typical non-Japan JRPG settings when you say western style. If not, probably can't help you there.

haven't seen those yet but I do have Lodoss on my list currently.
Thanks

When I say Western I just mean not complete Japanese,etc style. Which I have enough of.
Log Horizon for example I would consider a nice mix.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What does he say? Because after last week, I know I can't handle a Zac and Justin-only episode any more.
They go more into discussing specific issues with the movie. There is more elaboration on how they don't think the film builds to anything, and that the mother is idealized as a perfect being because she doesn't fart or something. Then there is some sort of mini-tirade about how they heard from real mothers that parenting is much harder than it is portrayed in this movie.

For a podcast about being a year wrap up or something there was almost no anime discussion inside of it that related to this year. The most amusing part of the episode was Zac talking more about Watamote, his favorite show of the year. He takes the show extremely seriously as a "character study", vehemently denying its focus as a comedy. So then there's a remarkably awkward discussion of Watamote as a "Rorschach test" for people to analyze their psyche's next to.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just like to take this moment to remind everyone that Puchimas was broadcasted at the beginning of 2013. It was a long time ago so I know many forgot about this AotY. Talking of AotY, if I put some extra optional categories like 'Studio of the Year' and 'Character of the Year' which only needed one vote per person would that be asking too much?

And the confusion over my post after I went to bed made my Christmas morn. Thanks for the good tidings!

Just like to take this moment to remind everyone that Puchimas was broadcasted at the beginning of 2013. It was a long time ago so I know many forgot about this AotY. Talking of AotY, if I put some extra optional categories like 'Studio of the Year' and 'Character of the Year' which only needed one vote per person would that be asking too much?

And the confusion over my post after I went to bed made my Christmas morn. Thanks for the good tidings!

Nah, I would be okay with it.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
SAO - 2
Man I love this show! Its so ridiculous; I mean who comes up with a catchphrase in the middle of accusing someone of murder?!

"Beater"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Pretty Cure

Watching reg old first season Pretty Cure ... interesting stuff I guess. Fight scenes are all over the place and I see where this whole "waiting for the power creep" thing started from in the series. On Episode 5 and I think we MAY be seeing them use a different attack in the next episode ... maybe ... I think. Either that or they give the gem to someone else ... maybe?

Quasar

What does he say? Because after last week, I know I can't handle a Zac and Justin-only episode any more.

He reiterates some of same stuff that doesnt work for him, such as the mother being a totally unrealistic depiction of single mothers being a perfect godlike mother and how that broke the story for him. Which Justin totally supports him on. As does...some staff member who is actually a single mum.

Which I can get. But as he even says its a love letter to the directors mum, with giant nostalgic rose coloured glasses on so its not something I was surprised by.

Soma

Sounds good. I would love to see categories like Best OST, Best OP/ED, Best Art Direction, etc.

Kite

I should have listened to animegaf and started watching Yamato 2199 long ago, I had almost forgotten anime could do proper space operas.

blog_wj_3216140_3443827_tr_swieta20085.jpg

duckroll

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Episode 21

Since I'm in the last stretch of the show now, it probably deserves individual impressions for each episode. It should also help me to slow down a bit and enjoy what's left of the best space opera series in probably the last decade or two. This was another great episode. Like with all Yamato episodes, every episode has new sights and experiences, and they naturally expand the scope and background of the universe.

What's really impressive about the narrative in the series is how well constructed it feels. As the story progresses further and further, it becomes more and more obvious how careful the planning has been to plot details and subplots in prior episodes which converge on major plot points in a nature but also exciting way. In doing so it also allows episodes to tackle multiple themes in the same location, sometimes without even involving the major players running into each other in the episode itself. Great stuff.

One particular thing I liked about this episode is some of the character animation. The show doesn't often get a chance to handle more comedic or energetic movement with characters because the militaristic setting restricts most of that. Outside of the doctor on the ship, it's rare to see "funny" animations for characters, but this episode they got a nice chance for some of that with the prison stuff, and there were some nice crowd animations in the riot as well.

Another point which I feel the show really deserves bonus points for is how it handles plot revelations. Often when the revelations come they don't feel like plot twists at all, because unlike how most modern serial writing has a poor habit of doing, the mysteries here aren't meant to string the audience along. By the time stuff are revealed to characters in the show, they are confirmations, and not twists, because there are enough clues for observant viewers to have already understood what directing the mystery was headed in long before the characters finally get around to encountering it for themselves. Writing which respects the audience for not being morons is really pretty rare these days.

I should have listened to animegaf and started watching Yamato 2199 long ago, I had almost forgotten anime anyone could do proper space operas.

Fixed for sad accuracy. :((((

Some news from the "sure sounds like Anime Limited" department: via, of all things, Neo magazine, they've announced that they've picked up UK rights for The Vision of Escaflowne and Hal. They're also not fucking round with their simulcast stuff, with a retail release of Space Dandy promised before MCN London Comic Con in October, and Samurai Flamenco promised before the end of the year.

Kazzy

God, whenever I'm privy to the happenings of the ANN (nearly always from here), it just vindicates my decision to never waste my time ever listening to that tripe. Never have I bore witness to a group of people who are so intent on sabotaging their own enjoyment of a medium. I actually would be more accepting of their overall jaded outlook, were it all not in service of criticism for the sheer sake of it. Their rationale is nearly always obtuse, and it's difficult to take them seriously when their opinions are so abritary (not to mention contrived), to whatever point they feel like they should be making on that particular day.

It's just so pretentious, and it's not even thoughtful analysis, just artificial. If only they'd allow the show to about, you know anime, and not their own conceitedness.

sonicmj1

Also:

I am not a wolf. It sounds dumb, but what exactly am I supposed to think of the moral that a kid "chooses to be a wolf"? He's a little boy, he can't make that decision for himself. How am I meant to take a kid choosing to be a wild animal and abandoning his mother and sister, especially after we've seen his mother literally throw her life into danger numerous times for his sake? How is anyone supposed to see Ame as anything other than negative? I'm not a wolf, I'm a person, so I must see this as a human.

But beyond that, while I'm not a wolf, Ame is a pretty shitty one. Wolves are all about the pack and the family, and Ame treats his family as if it were unimportant. And the throwaway excuse about a magical obligation to his old teacher only complicates things, because severing ties and sacrificing relationships for the sake of duty and honor are distinctly human problems, and not ones animals would know. Especially since wolves tend to see loyalty to the alpha and to the pack, and not to the forest as a whole. If anything, Ame's decision to be a wolf should've moved him nearer to his mother and further from this nonsense of having a duty to a teacher.

Ame's arc as a whole also suffers from that same excuse of "he's a wolf so if you don't get it it is because you're thinking wrong." I'm not going to get in the head of a canine for an anime. It's the writer's job to make things understandable to at the bare minimum a human audience. Ame's decisions should be subject to human scrutiny, so saying he's a wolf doesn't let them off the hook. He still abandons his obligation to his mother without so much as a good-bye.

Kid's an ass.

Watching the movie again significantly improved my view of Ame. I was kind of taking a Devil's Advocate view against zeroshiki when we were discussing it on IRC, but I definitely came around knowing how things would play out later.

First, as Fertygo pointed out, you're judging mythic Japan wolves as if they were real. Every wolf in the movie is a loner. The father is living on his own before Hana throws herself into his life, the wolf in the pen is alone, the wolves in children's books are alone. Wolves are perceived as such rare creatures that the idea of a "wolf pack" doesn't really exist in the movie.

(If you think about Wolf's Rain, and how difficult it feels for that band of wolves to get along, perhaps wolves are always seen as loners in Japan?)

Second, you sort of dismiss Ame's sense of mission towards the forest, something that had been built up through the entire movie. It's not just about his fox mentor, but all the time he spends at the nature conservation center, and all the scenes he has exploring the forest and seeing what has happened to it. Protecting the forest is a job only he can do, and it's the one thing he's passionate about. Hana knows this better than anyone. She knows that his instincts are driving him to go to the forest and more (the same way his father's instincts drove him to hunt for pheasant alone while they were financially secure in the middle of a city), and she's scared that she'll lose him when he inevitably makes that break.

Third, when that does happen, and Hana confronts him in the parking lot, her basic instinct to protect him hasn't changed even after the dream sequence. But Ame desperately wants her to understand what he's doing and how he feels. He's bad with words, so he turns away and shows her (by running up that mountain) that he'll be alright, that he'll still be there for her, and that he loves her. That's when she finally understands. Ame isn't abandoning his family; he's going to do what he loves, and what he's meant to do. He still cares about them a lot, which is why Hana can hear him howl in the denouement.

That all this happens when he's at adult wolf age, instead of adult human age, is a consequence of his wolfishness. But the truth of people growing up and leaving their families behind to follow their calling is as human as anything else in the movie. Parenting isn't just raising children, but also learning when to allow them to follow their own path.

Pooya

16./00. [PSV] Gekijouban Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Battle Pentagram # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.12.19} (¥5.980) - 26.363 / NEW

03./00. [PSP] Puella Magi Madoka Magica Portable # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.03.15} (¥6.480) - 62.408 / NEW

RIP Madoka.

duckroll

Watching the movie again significantly improved my view of Ame. I was kind of taking a Devil's Advocate view against zeroshiki when we were discussing it on IRC, but I definitely came around knowing how things would play out later.

First, as Fertygo pointed out, you're judging mythic Japan wolves as if they were real. Every wolf in the movie is a loner. The father is living on his own before Hana throws herself into his life, the wolf in the pen is alone, the wolves in children's books are alone. Wolves are perceived as such rare creatures that the idea of a "wolf pack" doesn't really exist in the movie.

(If you think about Wolf's Rain, and how difficult it feels for that band of wolves to get along, perhaps wolves are always seen as loners in Japan?)

It's not really mythical so much as cultural. The reason why wolves are often seen as sad lonely creatures who have been abandoned by humanity is largely because Japanese wolves went extinct with the turn of the 20th century. They are revered by people as majestic creatures with a lot of pride, but it didn't help them survive the changes of the modern world and they're nothing more than a memory now. It's pretty sad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Episode 21
There is one particular episode coming up which can only be described as a full on
fan service episode
. I hope you take just as many screen caps.

They go more into discussing specific issues with the movie. There is more elaboration on how they don't think the film builds to anything, and that the mother is idealized as a perfect being because she doesn't fart or something. Then there is some sort of mini-tirade about how they heard from real mothers that parenting is much harder than it is portrayed in this movie.

For a podcast about being a year wrap up or something there was almost no anime discussion inside of it that related to this year. The most amusing part of the episode was Zac talking more about Watamote, his favorite show of the year. He takes the show extremely seriously as a "character study", vehemently denying its focus as a comedy. So then there's a remarkably awkward discussion of Watamote as a "Rorschach test" for people to analyze their psyche's next to.

He reiterates some of same stuff that doesnt work for him, such as the mother being a totally unrealistic depiction of single mothers being a perfect godlike mother and how that broke the story for him. Which Justin totally supports him on. As does...some staff member who is actually a single mum.

Which I can get. But as he even says its a love letter to the directors mum, with giant nostalgic rose coloured glasses on so its not something I was surprised by.

Did they miss the entire point of the movie where it's the community that basically saves her? That whole section where she is completely isolated in the city but finds a surrogate family in the country? Am I going insane and just watched a different movie from them? Are these people asking for Japanese tragedy porn?

:dosad

I almost want to hate Watamote now simply because Zac seems to think it's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom