• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

http://animeanime.jp/article/2013/12/26/16873.html

The Bushiroad anime special airing on 12/31 will be released on BD on 3/26 next year. The disc version will include an animated epilogue which isn't in the broadcast version. It also looks like the other half of the 3 hour special (the anime is only 90 mins) is going to be a Bushiroad version of the Red and White Song Battle with their own guests. Lol.

wonzo

Banned
I have tons of issues with Princess Mononoke but the animation cuts of the arrows flying about was some of the sickest shit ever.

*highfive*
I don't know where they found the money to make four seasons but I hope it continues. The anime really is chicken soup for the soul.. as cheesy as that sounds. Wish it could last forever.

edit: Porco Rosso is the best Ghibili movie

I thought its a rather good selling series with great merchandise support and high manga sales. Love the series much.

-

K Gakuen is one of the best things ever.
BcXU0Z9CUAAtU4L.jpg

Monogatari 20

Nisio, buddy, I fucking hate your guts right now. Well played you bastard.

I feel I said the exact same words during the Katanagatari watch, but it's well deserved.
Well ... I felt the same way but i came back too ! Even if i know this can happen i can't help but to come back !

*highfive*
I don't know where they found the money to make four seasons but I hope it continues. The anime really is chicken soup for the soul.. as cheesy as that sounds. Wish it could last forever.

edit: Porco Rosso is the best Ghibili movie
I need my 5th season !

Monogatari SS 13

"So you're an airhead and you're quiet. Do you know what they call people like you, here in Japan?"
"E-Evil?"
"Enchanting."

Hoooooooooooooooooo snap. Shinobu with the scathing burn of somebody right there. Good grief. Girl spends the last five minutes of the episode just tearing Nadeko a new one full stop. And I'm not sure if it is undeserved or not, since Nadeko is literally so stupid she agreed to help out a serpent without any sort of actual contract. She's helping out a snake that is like Kyubey, Satan and the Basilisk from Harry Potter all in one convenient container. It's sort of hard to tell when someone is being fairly criticized or not. Except when Oshino said that it was Hanekawa's fault her legal guardians were abusing her. That was some major bullshit for a guy who is normally as levelheaded as Oshino.
Nadeko + snake during this arc is indeed similar to kyubi + madoka ...
ONly difference from afar is that kyubi was saying "i'll need your help" and the snake seems to say " help me or else ..."

Oshino was never wrong during the entire series , why would he be wrong here ?Hanekawa , certainly had a part of responsability in this familly mess.
TWEWY is the best Final Fantasy.

TWEWY is a great game but it is nothing like final fantasy ..

Fairy Tail: Phoenix Priestess

Was going to finish off today by watching Wolf Children, but my idiot brother went and got a movie based on a series that I'd barely heard of but always see in my Netflix recommendations. Even with my limited knowledge of the Fairy Tail series, overall the movie was a fun little diversion to get me out of my holiday blues. Has some pretty cool action sequences and although the villains were kinda one-note, most of the main characters were likeable (though there really needed to be more Juvia and Black-Cat-Guy-Thing). The plot was simple enough with one or two interesting factors revealed later to keep it interesting, it gets a bit too melodramatic near the end for me. Was too lazy to want to read subtitles, so I watched the dub. Voice acting was actually pretty good (Tiffany Grant as Momon was a surprise), but the music was kick-ass. Celtic Rock always gets a plus from me.

Overall, an enjoyable flick that I'll probably never, ever watch again but will listen to its soundtrack constantly. Guess I'll save Wolf Children for New Year's Eve, AKA my birthday.
I'm pretty sure a large part of that movie relies on the fact that the viewer has seen the anime or read the manga. i'm sorry to say this but you've probably missed a lot of things.

I thought its a rather good selling series with great merchandise support and high manga sales. Love the series much.

-

K Gakuen is one of the best things ever.

WTF ... did they clone the same guy and gave the clones différent clothes ?

Jex

I see ANN has a Wolf's Children review:

The character designs are reminiscent of those in Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but even mushier and less distinct than in those films. This makes the characters' transitions between wolf and human faces more effortless, but lends them a little less character and identity too

(The wolf designs and animation are also distracting, and can border on student-filmy in their unrefined literalness, recalling more DeviantArt than Ghibli.)

If Hosoda's honesty with his films' children is his great strength, his lack of perspective on the mothers who raise them is his great weakness. In his previous films, the guardians to his pre-pubescent leads have been perfect bastions of wisdom.

Hosoda can never really bring himself to tell the story from his heroine Hana's perspective. The story is narrated by her daughter, Yuki, who tells us what Hana's emotions must have been at various stages of her life, but this is never enough to give us Hana's perspective on her own story. In fact, Yuki's narration is uniformly a disservice to the film. It runs through the entire movie as if it was her memoir and not her mother's, and only elaborates on things we can plainly see or fills in details about people's emotions or thoughts that we would much rather have seen through their actions.

What about the wolf-man did she fall in love with? What were her dreams before dropping out of school? Is she in any way afraid of her children? Did she leave friends or family behind to devote her life to them? These questions and more are never answered. The romantic idolization that dominates the film's tone, along with the journal-esque emphasis of explaining rather than showing, makes spending two hours with these characters cloying and frustrating at times. We know there must be more to them under all the idyllic simplicity, but when it comes to adult matters, all we get is the fantasy, the ideal, a parade of emotions with no earth under their feet.

If, for some reason, you'd like to hear a somewhat scathing but actually very well argued for critique of Wolf's Children I urge you to listen to the Ninja Consultants review here. It's super good.

Pooya

I... agree on the character designs bit.... they feel like they're made of clay for me that prefers more defined looks but they work well enough here anyway, I've only watched the first half of the movie yesterday, no comment on rest. I think I like the piano pieces so far more than anything, it's very very good.

fertygo

I... agree on the character designs bit.... they feel like they're made of clay for me that prefers more defined looks but they work well enough here anyway, I've only watched the first half of the movie yesterday, no comment on rest. I think I like the piano pieces so far more than anything, it's very very good.

What the hell you never watch something with Sadamoto design or something?

Shergal

Honneamise, FLCL, Diebuster?

For Hosoda's works especially, the animation director is way more important to the final look of the film. Hosoda seems to favour a certain way of drawing as well, all of his films even before Sadamoto feature similar drawings (Takaaki Yamashita had a major involvement in most of them too, it might also be him).

I understand why someone might complain about the designs in Wolf Children. Personally I quite like their simplicity, although I wouldn't say they are among my favourite designs or anything.

Pooya

errr...?? what the hell you're talking about? it's not like wolf children is all that similar to his usual style, at least not the way it's animated here. Characters don't even have finger nails here... everything is flat and wobbly to boot!~

fertygo

Honneamise, FLCL, Diebuster?

If you ask me.

I still can see this.

From this

Never seen honneamise, but I even can see "bebop face" on Sadamoto design for Hosoda film.
errr...?? what the hell you're talking about? it's not like wolf children is all that similar to his usual style, at least not the way it's animated here. Characters don't even have finger nails here... everything is flat and wobbly to boot!~
Now, I even more confused Sadamoto work in all three Hosoda film, and all three have similar style.

The only part of Wolf Children I don't like is

the false choice of the mother, who doesn't know how to grow her children, if like wolves or like humans. In fact that's the key point of the story, as you know one child choose one path and the other chooses the other path. It seems put there as a universal message of tolerance, to respect everyone different, to respect whatever everyone wants to be. But... it feels so stupid. From what the film shows me, they aren't wolves or humans, they are always human in what it counts, the mind, they have a human conscience, with just some wolf-like instincts. It's only the body that transforms. So while Yuki's story feels interesting and heartwarming in her growth to adulthood, Ame's story (and the mother's respect for it!) makes me facepalm.
Why would anyone want to stay an animal, and have no one to talk to? It feels like the author trying to put the animal world on the same, equivalent footing as the human wolrd, which is very nice and tree-happy but it doesn't make sense if you are actually a human. At worst, it's the history of giving up, of Ame giving up on humanity because he was bad at it so he chose the easy way: to stop trying and live as an animal.

TLDR Ame sucks

For the rest, it's a godlike movie.

Pooya

If you ask me.

I still can see this.

From this

the actuall movie doesn't look like the promo art all to me, unlike his designs for Gainax works or even Summer Wars, or the girl who leapt through time imo.

Hana's a wide face in the movie. It's still pretty cute and full of emotion.

so details on hair, adding fingernails, could've helped imo for a movie that's all about character emotions into your face and lots of close ups. but whatever rest of movie looks great. It's their stylistic choice which I don't find all that appealing personally.

Shergal

If you ask me.
I still can see this.
From this
Never seen honneamise, but I even can see "bebop face" on Sadamoto design for Hosoda film.

Yes, but do the actual shows look just like that art you posted?
Wolf Children in particular is often much less defined than the concept art there. That's a constant in Hosoda's works, I've even seen people crying QUALITY over his films (One Piece 6 in particular, probably because it deviated from the normal style)

fertygo

Yes, but do the actual shows look just like that art you posted?
Wolf Children in particular is often much less defined than the concept art there. That's a constant in Hosoda's works, I've even seen people crying QUALITY over his films (One Piece 6 in particular, probably because it deviated from the normal style)

I thought Sadamoto is one of some anime chara designer that its design on key artwork that he drawn not gonna looked too different in the actual show, its not like some design from game or LN that must reworked heavily from 2nd chara designer to could actually work as anime chara design.. its still looked different with how 2nd chara designer work with his concept, but you can still his touch.. particularly for face/head skeleton

I hope you getting my point, because trying get quick example from google image fucking sucks

Pooya

all of shots above are more defined than anything in wolf children that I've seen of Hana, wolf children is like a notch below tgwltt imo although I haven't seen it recently.

edit: what Cowboy Bebop is doing up there?

Firemind

Anime is dead to me.

I watched Infinite Stratos 2 the other day and I can't stomach this piss poor screenplay anymore. Whoever gets paid to write this should be fired. Before, I could have a laugh how terrible it is, but not anymore.

After Sword Art Online, there has been a void that nothing has been able to fill since then.

Cwarrior

If you ask me.

I still can see this.

From this

Now, I even more confused Sadamoto work in all three Hosoda film, and all three have similar style.
wow you have further convinced me, how crap of a charater designer sadamoto is, any ways, the lack of detail and shadeing is in all of hosoda movies before sadamoto worked on his movies, it just got less defined and detailed when he teamed up with him/her.

Jex

Anime is dead to me.

I watched Infinite Stratos 2 the other day and I can't stomach this piss poor screenplay anymore. Whoever gets paid to write this should be fired. Before, I could have a laugh how terrible it is, but not anymore.

After Sword Art Online, there has been a void that nothing has been able to fill since then.

Sounds like you shouldn't be watching bad anime and then more bad anime.

Shergal

I thought Sadamoto is one of some anime chara designer that its design on key artwork that he drawn not gonna looked too different in the actual show, its not like some design from game or LN that must reworked heavily from 2nd chara designer to could actually work as anime chara design.. its still looked different with how 2nd chara designer work with his concept, but you can still his touch.. particularly for face/head skeleton

You can tell it's Sadamoto, yes, but I still think the final look of a show where he only designed and wasn't AD will depend more on the AD involved. For Honneamise, the movie looks much closer to his illustrations, whereas Wolf Children looks way closer to say, Our War Game or even One Piece 6, other works where Takaaki Yamashita was AD. FLCL was very liberal with the designs, Imaishi for example overhauled every drawing in his episode.

@miladesn, I don't think WC looks significantly less detailed than Tokikake. It's not exactly the same since the ADs are different but it's overall in the same vein; characters turn blobbier in long shots and some mid shots, the silhouettes are well-defined but the characters not very detailed, and then there's the no-shading policy.

Kite

Anime is dead to me.

Stop watching terrible shows? I usually don't follow animegaf because you guys are too fast paced for me to keep up with when I'm not on Christmas break but I hope no one here has been recommending IS2 on the unsuspecting even as a joke~

duckroll

Stop watching terrible shows? I usually don't follow animegaf because you guys are too fast paced for me to keep up with when I'm not on Christmas break but I hope no one here has been recommending IS2 on the unsuspecting even as a joke~

We're doing God's work and trying to get more people to watch Yamato 2199.

Jex

It's certainly not something that participants in this thread have or would (in general) recommend.

fertygo

Yeah, did someone confuse Yoshiyuki Sadamoto with Toshihiro Kawamoto there?
Shit I know I messed up with something.

Anime is dead to me.

Dude you doing something terribly wrong if using IS as barometer.

You can tell it's Sadamoto, yes, but I still think the final look of a show where he only designed and wasn't AD will depend more on the AD involved. For Honneamise, the movie looks much closer to his illustrations, whereas Wolf Children looks way closer to say, Our War Game or even One Piece 6, other works where Takaaki Yamashita was AD. FLCL was very liberal with the designs, Imaishi for example overhauled every drawing in his episode..

Yeah only in FLCL and Diebuster where I can't see the similarities between the skeleton, maybe only here and there.

heh same here, Duckroll is rather adept at converting the non-beliebers~

His impressions of Girls und Panzer is what made me watch that too. I trust duckroll's reviews and impressions of shows that are airing/completed. It's just his hype of upcoming shows that's dubious.

Touch - 01~10

Hehe, who would thought that watching ace of diamond would led my brother to rewatch cross game, and then me recommending him to read Touch...and in the end both of us watching the anime version, and that it was better than I expected from something so old(I'm such a jerk), the soundtrack is so good. I want to see how my brother will react when that happens.

I hear the movies are good, any opinions animegaf?

Adachi Mitsuru. <3

duckroll

His impressions of Girls und Panzer is what made me watch that too. I trust duckroll's reviews and impressions of shows that are airing/completed. It's just his hype of upcoming shows that's dubious.

It's called hype for a reason! There are no refunds for failed expectations! People who jump in on stuff because other people just excited for it don't get to complain when it's not what people expected. :)

Anyone who reads Nintendo Direct threads would also know this! ^_^

It's called hype for a reason! There are no refunds for failed expectations! People who jump in on stuff because other people just excited for it don't get to complain when it's not what people expected. :)

Anyone who reads Nintendo Direct threads would also know this! ^_^

Kill la Kill has made me very aware of this phenomenon, but I couldn't help but make fun of your track record anyway. I'm a pretty terrible person.

That said, it'd be only natural to blame you if Space Dandy doesn't turn out well.

duckroll

Kill la Kill has made me very aware of this phenomenon, but I couldn't help but make fun of your track record anyway. I'm a pretty terrible person.

That said, it'd be only natural to blame you if Space Dandy doesn't turn out well.

If Space Dandy is bad, I quit anime.

Will be back for Captain Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom