• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit just watched Spirited Away on TV with my sis. 0_0 AOTF!!!! I need to watch it again ASAP, I just want to keep watching it to relive those moments even though they happened a couple of hours ago.

Narag

Holy shit just watched Spirited Away on TV with my sis. 0_0 AOTF!!!! I need to watch it again ASAP, I just want to keep watching it to relive those moments even though they happened a couple of hours ago.

Wait until people fill you you in on the child prostitution angle before you rewatch.

Mature

I don't know why people are watching all this fake Christmas anime nonsense:

[Tokyo Godfathers]

Now that's still the definitive Christmas anime movie. So gosh darned good!

Satoshi Kon, you were too good for the anime industry :(
I'm in the middle of the DITB episode for this. Definitely made me want to do a rewatch.

Theonik

Urufu Obu u~ōrusutorīto
This was a good movie. It was on the long side weighing at around 3hrs but it was worth it.
Pacing felt great given the duration, and while it was not an action film the excitement was solid throughout. Some great performances all round.
Also I must say this movie had the most TAD that I've seen in a movie all year at least. I'm impressed. You'd think you were watching TLRD with that shit. Dayum.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So I received the complete collection on DVD of Mushi-shi from a very thoughtful GAFfer, Kwixotik, in the NeoGAF Secret Santa thread. SO, traveling these next couple of days with no decent internet, I thought I watch some of this on my ride.

Mushi-shi 1

What a georgous show. Pretty amazing how touching, gorgeous, and fantastical this show got in even the first episode. Ginko's a boss but I get the feeling he's not entirely pure in his motives.

Also the OP is soooo good. The ED is pretty and fits the show well, but kinda dull.

Mushi-shi 2

That got really creepy but I'm loving the hell out of this show. When
the river of Mushi started flowing out of the girl's eyes and was enveloping Ginko,
that was some absolutely jaw dropping animation. I'm really loving Ginko as a character and Travis Willingham is the perfect dub VA for him. I'm also really liking the format of the show so far where the only constant "characters" are the Mushi and Ginko. To be honest though, Ginko almost seems like he's
from the future in a way. His dress (less traditional clothes and a cigar, glass eyes, syringes, etc.) and actions are really not the normal compared the traditional Japanese setting. I mean, I'm not sure what time frame show takes place but Japan doesn't seem all that advanced yet and he sure feels kinda out of place.

Mushi-shi 3

Another thing I'm really loving about the format is how each episode seems to be a struggle against how Mushi
infect some bodily sense
. I really love Ginko's character, but I'm starting to wonder more and more why he's
collecting mementos like this.

Mushi-shi 4

So much for happy endings for each episode.
This one was kinda brutal to watch. Every turn felt like you lost more and more options out.

Mushi-shi 5

First time referring back to past episodes. This Doctor friend is pretty witty.
I definitely like the happier endings in this show, like this episode.
Again, some gorgeous animation.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Azumanga Daioh 4-12:

Yes, I can see how this show got really popular back in the day and indeed is hell of a lot more entertaining then the vast majority of slice of life programs by actually having some Ramna 1/2 styled humor into the mix, it really makes the difference That is not to say that it is all peaches and cream and some of the humor suffers from odd mistimes, like they let things linger on the comedy beat for too long before getting to the punchline. Also, some of the gimmicks have already grown stale. (Sakkai and her cat problems and Kaori's girl crush comes to mind)

jgminto

h8XGMVH.png

IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS ONE OF THESE GIRLS IS GOING TO
LOSE.

Place your bets AnimeGaf!!!

Plot theory:
Haruto loses all his old memories with Shoko. Then when she treats him like shit when he returns he kills her.

Well in fairness, as far as I'm aware, nothing was really underused in Yes! 5, so there's something.

Sorry but i'm still bitter that the power-up seeds in heartcatch were underused.
I'm still bitter that half of the characters personnalities in Dokidoki ( except mana ) were underused.
I'm still bitter that ...

Sorry but i'm still bitter that the power-up seeds in heartcatch were underused.
I'm still bitter that half of the characters personnalities in Dokidoki ( except mana ) were underused.
I'm still bitter that ...

Half? Try like 60 percent. Power up seeds though, sure... but then again...

Still no boobs, tho.

Fresh will always be in my thoughts

EDIT: I'm not sure if I'll even get around to any of the movies tonight. Really tired, kind of meh right now.

Heartcatch 39

This was a cute little episode before some shit goes down in the next episode. I think I'm gonna watch the movie first, though.

Perfect timing too! Enjoy the film.

Just got someone else through Heartcatch Precure. He really liked it. I do know that he though Blossom and Marine's Stock footage wasn't impressive, but Sunshine was where it was at.

Fairy Tail: Phoenix Priestess

Was going to finish off today by watching Wolf Children, but my idiot brother went and got a movie based on a series that I'd barely heard of but always see in my Netflix recommendations. Even with my limited knowledge of the Fairy Tail series, overall the movie was a fun little diversion to get me out of my holiday blues. Has some pretty cool action sequences and although the villains were kinda one-note, most of the main characters were likeable (though there really needed to be more Juvia and Black-Cat-Guy-Thing). The plot was simple enough with one or two interesting factors revealed later to keep it interesting, it gets a bit too melodramatic near the end for me. Was too lazy to want to read subtitles, so I watched the dub. Voice acting was actually pretty good (Tiffany Grant as Momon was a surprise), but the music was kick-ass. Celtic Rock always gets a plus from me.

Overall, an enjoyable flick that I'll probably never, ever watch again but will listen to its soundtrack constantly. Guess I'll save Wolf Children for New Year's Eve, AKA my birthday.

zeroshiki

I'm getting this ad on GAF!

EtXewfo.png

The saddest RPG in history!

They're right. I get sad whenever I think about what FF has become and how we'll never get a game as good as X again :(

jbug617

Banned
I bought my first digital anime season from Amazon. It was Slam Dunk Vol 1 and that covers episode 1-15.
They have the entire series on there, I wish I was able to buy the physical product.
The price is $23.88 but I have a Instant Video credit so I used it.

Kazzy

Spirited Away is the best Ghibli movie. Don't let the hipsters tell you otherwise.

It's the first one that I saw, and honestly, the one that I probably liked the least. Which probably says a lot about when I watched it, more than anything. I basically had zero expectations (and no experience of watching anime), which I think made me resent it slightly, given all the praise and hyperbole.

And because It was so long ago, I should probably just rewatch it again. Feels disingenuous to even hold such a negative opinion, now that I can't recall most of the film anymore.

Yes!

zeroshiki

I don't want this to turn into a rank your favorite Final Fantasies thing but 6 > 10 > 7.

FF12 was the greatest RPG ever for the first half of the game then its story completely falls apart and it just threw you into dungeon after dungeon.

Kazzy

I don't want this to turn into a rank your favorite Final Fantasies thing but 6 > 10 > 7.

FF12 was the greatest RPG ever for the first half of the game then its story completely falls apart and it just threw you into dungeon after dungeon.

But what a half that was! Best localization, everything. I love the fact that a lot of the characters are voiced by stage actors, and you know, fit the role. Which just depresses me more about the relatively small pool most other RPG's draw from when they are localized, and the genericness therin of having the familiar faces, delivering the same tired performances.

Articalys

I also kind of want to rewatch Spirited Away as well, but at this point it's been so damn long since I first watched it, I might as well keep waiting until the BD comes out. Should be some time in late 2014, right? Since the summer seems like it'll be reserved for the Wind Rises/Kaguya BDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom