• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Well , unlike the whole cast , when oshino make a deduction after knowing all the current facts , i think it's pretty much safe to assume it is true ... Well him and another character ( that you'll meet later ) are ..unfortunatly always right , regardless of your perception of the events.
I'm not saying that the characters themselves are perfect , no .. Far from it .i'm saying that their deductions/conclusion are to be trusted at face value. Oshino perspective can make him have the right conclusion when he has all the facts , and in hanekawa case , he did have them all.

I really do not agree that Oshino is always right, even when he has all the facts and especially in the case of saying that Hanekawa was responsible for her legal guardians' abuse. The argument that her unusual behavior is the reason they beat her and deprived her of things like her own room is circular, because she only behaved that way because they beat her and deprived her of basic things like her own room. I'd sooner believe Oshino said it so that he could get Araragi to not see Hanekawa as perfect (as in, if Oshino says "Girl's evil" then Araragi will acknowledge her faults in the course of defending them, rather than disavowing her faults) than that Oshino Meme actually meant that a little girl was responsible for the abuse her legal guardians dished out on her.

Midonin

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kira - Love Penalty Chapter

When any franchise, especially in Japan, has run long enough, it will inevitably get into some self parody. 4-koma spinoffs aren't uncommon for even the more serious-minded of shows. Though Higurashi has earned its chance to make fun of itself, since its story was finished being told long ago. I've never seen these OVAs, and, since they're all standalone, I'll go one by one.

We're off to a great start. The show had always had some lewd elements before, but beginning with becoming a full blown eros series is a way for the producers to have some fun. Not even Rika and Satoko were spared from the delusions. Having the Soul Brothers come crashing through the roof of the school completely unannounced was also a sign that the show's planted its tongue firmly in its cheek by this point.

That alone would've been okay for an OVA, or at least an artbook, but I liked that the whole thing was framed in a parody of the phone booth scene from the main series. Completely optional for story purposes, but for entertainment, I enjoyed it. Things are always better once it involves characters one can get invested in.

Jex

Valvrave's final episode was kind of boring. No surprising twists or reveals and almost nothing to clear up the previous future scenes... I kind of wish they hadn't wasted so much time on the "final boss" fighting scene.

Somehow none of this is very surprising to me.

Space Brothers 74:
So now we get some backstory on yet another character, with us seeing some of Chief Butler's past and what lead him to being so concerned with the Mutta/Hibito situation. It makes sense, and it was nice to see Mutta having to think outside of the box to impress him. The music during the final scene of the episode was really well done, and that final still shot was quite good.

Although it was only a small scene in this episode, I continue to really enjoy the Sharon plot, especially with Mutta thinking about her letters becoming less frequent. This whole story has just been very poignant when it comes to looking at the effects of old age and disease and how you can be impacted by seeing a loved one begin to lose control of their body.

So Log horizon is everything I wanted from Sword Art Online. Actually exploring the idea of people trapped in an MMO. Without the harmness and fanservice. Shame about the lack of permadeath though, as I think that adds to the dynamic.

Quasar

Nor for me, but for whatever reason some people are losing their shit over it elsewhere.

Certainly given where it was storywise there did not seem any chance of a wrapup of well anything. Which I'm glad for...I did not want to see a mishandled wrapup in a single episode.

Wonder when we'll hear about any S3.

Dresden

Shame about the lack of permadeath though, as I think that adds to the dynamic.

You'd have to toss in weird contrivances like microwave VR helmets to make that work, so it's probably better off without it.

And the concept of losing memories and being subsumed by the world you inhabit is pretty nifty too, if I remember it right.

e: oops, spoiler

NeonZ

You'd have to toss in weird contrivances like microwave VR helmets to make that work, so it's probably better off without it.

Well, whatever explanation Log Horizon gives in the end will be a big contrivance though. As far as the players remember, Elder Tale wasn't even a VR game originally, then the day a new expansion was released, they all wake up in a VR version of the game.

Log Horizon either will need actual magic (that transported them to another world or changed the world into the game), or technologically induced amnesia (that erased their memories from starting the VR version of Elder Tale before locking them in it), to explain the transition and their lack of memories about it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Permadeath can be easily implemented like this:

When you die you start over as a level 1 character.
Then you become a burden on the rest of your guildmates as they have to take away time from raiding to help you level.
Each time someone dies, the group becomes just a little less tight knit until it breaks up from internal drama.
Eventually there's only one guy from the original group at a high level because everyone else died and reset.
In the last scene, he walks solo into Molten Core so that he can start over and join his low level friends again.

Touch - 11~20

Onegai touch, touch, koko ni touch.
The build up to going to Koushien, while Kazuya is worried about it Minami and Tatsuya have their own problems, but Koushien is the first priority tot hem.
My brother is on that episode. =D

Midonin

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira - Specter Battling Chapter

A magical girl episode, now we're talking. Yukarin is no stranger to playing magical girls, so hearing the inner Rika act all sarcastic about becoming a magical girl made for a few laughs. Fairy!Hanyuu is adorable, and really not that much different from how she is normally. Rika's casual attitude towards parallel universes is also worth noting.

The magical girl template can be applied to so many things. In some ways, this strikes me as very similar to what was going on in Time Paladin Sakura. Time traveling, shrines and the youngest member of the cast becoming a magical girl for maximum cuteness value. It was kinda obvious the moment Rika mentioned the fog was making people go crazy that they would. You'd think they'd have some masks like Satoshi to go with those spiffy uniforms. I can forgive this because of Satoko slapsticking everyone with two giant logs.

The "07th Explosion" finishing attack was groanworthy, but not in a bad way.

I'm continuing to enjoy these. The opening and ending couldn't be more different from previous entries in the series (I ordered the OP personally), though they fit the tone of the new material pretty well.

Is that all CR and their translators taking a break or Japan broadcasters taking a break?

Naruto Shippuden - will resume again on 1/9
Cardfight Vanguard - will take one week off and return on 1/12
Space Brothers - will resume again on 1/4
Saint Seiya Omega - will resume again on 1/8
Kill La Kill - will resume again on 1/9
Magi - will resume again on 1/5
Ace of the Diamond - will take one week off and return on 1/12
Yowapeda - will resume again on 1/6
Samurai Flamenco - will resume again on 1/9
Hunter x Hunter - will resume again on 1/7
Golden Time - will resume again on 1/9
Nagi no Asakura - will resume again on 1/9
STRIKE THE BLOOD - will resume again on 1/10
Hajime no Ippo -Rising- - will resume again on 12/28
Kuroko's Basketball - will resume again on 1/4
One Piece - will resume again on 1/4
Toriko - will resume again on 1/6
BBB - will resume again on 1/6

Theonik

am I missing an in-joke here?
L and r are ambiguous in Japanese as the later sound isn't included in their writing system.
This lead to several debates over the years with western fans. One such debate was the Horo vs Holo wars which were a part of older threads here and the origin of Izayoi's tag.

Quasar

Natsume's Book of Friends.

Is the only way to get it on BluRay the deluxe versions?

For fellow Australians: did anyone release it locally?

L and r are ambiguous in Japanese as the later sound isn't included in their writing system.
This lead to several debates over the years with western fans. One such debate was the Horo vs Holo wars which were a part of older threads here and the origin of Izayoi's tag.

oic.

Imma keep saying Holo for shits and giggles.

Best 80s show IMO. Enjoy, you're in for a treat. Adachi is a god.

IT IS KORBO.

(nah its Horo)

nMhK9mv.jpg

Blazblue Alter Memory 12

And so ends the lackluster anime adaption of Blazblue.

Guess this is a sort of monkey's paw type of deal after people requested an anime of the series. Wasn't part of that group myself, and after watching this, I can say that I'm proud of never being one.

Terrible animation and terrible fight scenes go hand in hand. Could not name one single fight scene that would qualify above bad. I would even say that IS2 had better fight scenes, and that's nothing short of disgraceful. Then there's the rushed CT and CS story, which could not explain anything even remotely close to making sense. Kinda expected since even in the games it took hours of going through everything before anything made sense and in no way was 12 episodes was going to cut it.

Honestly, I pity the souls that watched this without ever playing the games before.

I will say, that nothing nor any other character benefited from this adaption more so, than Lambda. Prior to watching this, my description of her would have been akin to "the robot girl who has Nu's soul within her". But in that single episode with Lambda and Ragna spending time together, they gave her a personality and they gave her charm. Resulting in me actually caring about her and being upset when she had to die (again).

Also Terumi. But Terumi is always awesome and makes every scene much better than they have any right to be.

3/10 Terrible. Would nominate for worst anime of the year.

Best 80s show IMO. Enjoy, you're in for a treat. Adachi is a god.

IT IS KORBO.

(nah its Horo)

I already read the manga, Adachi is really a god. I didn't expect the anime to be this good, I'm impressed.
Who is really in for a treat is my brother, since it's his first time with Touch, I wish I could hit my head and forget it to experience it for the first time again, but all of us would like to be able to do this, right? =p

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I already read the manga, Adachi is really a god. I didn't expect the anime to be this good, I'm impressed.
Who is really in for a treat is my brother, since it's his first time with Touch, I wish I could hit my head and forget it to experience it for the first time again, but all of us would like to be able to do this, right? =p

Haha I wish I could :(

To me it's Holo because Horo is slang word for whore in my native language lol.

Damn I guess I'm team Holo now.

What language is this?

cnet128

Banned
It works, though, because context still gives it a negative connotation. Well, a negative positive one. In English it comes across as Shinobu giving a scathing review of the way some Japanese men are way too into submissive girls. The part about using her charms to manipulate men is still in place, at least to me, given that the word is Enchanting, and Enchantresses ruin lives in fairy tales all the time. Bewitching would've had the same effect as Enchanting to me. As far as I could tell it was supposed to be a compliment that was meant to be an insult. Shinobu tells her she's enchanting, which is messed up not only because it keeps the theme of people treating Nadeko like she's special because she's quiet, but also because it tells Nadeko that that's what she is to them: something magical, when all she wants is to be normal.

Yeah, I actually agree that the English translation you quoted still works really quite well. It just works in a completely different way from the original text (there was certainly no commentary on Japanese tastes in the original text, for a start…) and I'm not sure if that's something a translation should be aiming for.

...I'm also not sure how intentional the departure in meaning really was. >.> It seems more likely to me that they just picked "enchanting" as their best approximation of "mashou" and the newfound irony came about by accident. Maybe I've just had so much experience with bad translations that I can't give them the benefit of the doubt any more ~.~

Fairy Tail - 01

Ohai Plu, what're you doing here?

Ahh Fairy Tail. Used to be my number one favourite but has since been replaced with TTGL. Still, it'll always hold a special place in my heart. :)

There are quite a few Rave Master nods in Fairy Tail (one of the biggest ones showing up in the second season). Hiro Mashima just loves nods like that.

Have fun and enjoy the soundtrack!

Jintor

And the concept of losing memories and being subsumed by the world you inhabit is pretty nifty too, if I remember it right.

Woah! Spoilerths! Show hasn't gotten there yet!

wonzo

Banned
Mob Psycho 100 anime fucking when.

Funimation Simulcast.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=32...iKoSOCIALMEDIA

They have 1 more box left on their page
Good to see this getting a simulcast.

http://i.minus.com/ibgrkWFChNMsp6.gif
thats some top tier trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom