• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

April 10th!! Keep $80 handy. Probably closer to $100.

I'm still not sure whether to just get it on PS3. I want that disc.

Oh man. I could wait, but then again Full Metal Panic and Gundam Unicorn in the same game.

I really want you to just keep watching monogatari nonstop for this arc to see your range of emotions with each impression you write up

So far I dunno where I am in it. I've been largely ambivalent toward Nadeko (she is undoubtedly the worst of the girls in Araragi's actual harem) so it is nice to see her get some character development. Unlike with Hanekawa and the simultaneous tearing down of the perfect girl image that Araragi had built around her and the building her up from the subhuman depths which her so-called parents had thrust her into, it's sort of hard for me to tell where this arc is taking Nadeko. My guess is the message thus far is about how Nadeko is not a victim, or rather she is the one who chooses to do nothing after being victimized because it is easier that way (which is a much better version of Kawamori's "Because it's easier" episode. Especially since the author, for all his fetishes, is dedicated to the fact that not all endings are completely happy and that his cast does have to earn the happiness they get.).

So far though, Snake seems somewhere between an abusive boyfriend and a school bully, and I'm wondering if he doesn't embody the subconscious desire of Nadeko to be the oppressor instead of the oppressed.

Wait, they translated "mashou" as "enchanting"? That's awkward. "Enchanting" has largely positive connotations, while the connotations of "mashou" are almost entirely negative.

"Mashou" is mostly used in the phrase "mashou no onna", meaning a woman who uses her charms to manipulate men (generally ruining their lives), and the kanji literally mean "of a magical/demonic nature". I know there's no exact English equivalent, but seeing as the whole point of this line is that Shinobu is choosing a very particular word, the translator could at least have tried. Presumably he was going for the supernatural angle with "enchanting", but if that was the case, "bewitching" would at least have made it more obvious. "Devilish" could even be more on the mark.

It works, though, because context still gives it a negative connotation. Well, a negative positive one. In English it comes across as Shinobu giving a scathing review of the way some Japanese men are way too into submissive girls. The part about using her charms to manipulate men is still in place, at least to me, given that the word is Enchanting, and Enchantresses ruin lives in fairy tales all the time. Bewitching would've had the same effect as Enchanting to me. As far as I could tell it was supposed to be a compliment that was meant to be an insult. Shinobu tells her she's enchanting, which is messed up not only because it keeps the theme of people treating Nadeko like she's special because she's quiet, but also because it tells Nadeko that that's what she is to them: something magical, when all she wants is to be normal.

Oshino was never wrong during the entire series , why would he be wrong here ?Hanekawa , certainly had a part of responsability in this familly mess.

While I think that Oshino is a very level-headed guy, I don't think he was written to be perfect, especially since there is an entire arc dedicated to not being perfect. You could say that Hanekawa's personality aggravated her "parents" and call him right in that sense, but the implication that a little girl was responsible for her parental guardians abuse is where Oshino's wrong. Wrong to the point that I'm left to assume I misunderstood, or that he said what he did with the intent to influence Araragi to do something else, or to send an alternative message with those words. Oshino doesn't strike me as the kind of guy whose every word must be correct, but as the kind who is not above lying or misleading Araragi with his words if it leads Araragi or the audience to his intended line of thought or action.

Defuser

Nagi no Asakura ep 13
LOL
Kaname, what a fucking kick to his face to find out there's another guy in Chisaki's heart. RIP you poor motherfucker. Manaka hitting the ground impact was brutal

Detective Conan 262:
Solid conclusion to this story. If I had one real complaint, it would be how obvious the whole thing was, which is mostly because TMS aren't really capable of breaking as much new ground in that regard. As soon as they mentioned the guy who committed suicide, you just knew that the maid was going to be his daughter and there to get revenge, and of course that turned out to be true. Even with that, I think they came up with some neat tricks for the mystery, so it turned out to be pretty solid all around. Epilogue scene with Conan and Ran was pretty hilarious, too.

Heysoos

Nagi no Asukara

Well, Jesus Fucking Christ, Kaname
can't catch a poor freaking break can he? Poor guy, to go out like that.
Chisaki seems to just hop
from guy to guy.... Except she never gets to Kaname.
Tsumugu gets
all the girls, geez.

While I think that Oshino is a very level-headed guy, I don't think he was written to be perfect, especially since there is an entire arc dedicated to not being perfect. You could say that Hanekawa's personality aggravated her "parents" and call him right in that sense, but the implication that a little girl was responsible for her parental guardians abuse is where Oshino's wrong. Wrong to the point that I'm left to assume I misunderstood, or that he said what he did with the intent to influence Araragi to do something else, or to send an alternative message with those words. Oshino doesn't strike me as the kind of guy whose every word must be correct, but as the kind who is not above lying or misleading Araragi with his words if it leads Araragi or the audience to his intended line of thought or action.

Well , unlike the whole cast , when oshino make a deduction after knowing all the current facts , i think it's pretty much safe to assume it is true ... Well him and another character ( that you'll meet later ) are ..unfortunatly always right , regardless of your perception of the events.
I'm not saying that the characters themselves are perfect , no .. Far from it .i'm saying that their deductions/conclusion are to be trusted at face value. Oshino perspective can make him have the right conclusion when he has all the facts , and in hanekawa case , he did have them all.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Did Funimation's check bounce or is ANN just paying random myanimelist members to write reviews now?
one of the things i like most about ANN reviews is the "animation" score.

As an example set of these animation scores:
Devil is a Part-Timer: B+
Attack on Titan: B+
Fate/Zero: C
Dogs and Scissors: C-
Gatchaman Crowds: B+
Yuruyuri: C+
Zetman: B+
Kill la Kill: A
Beyond the Boundary: A-
Watamote: B-
Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen: A-
Muromi-san: B
K-on:
B

NeonZ

Valvrave's final episode was kind of boring. No surprising twists or reveals and almost nothing to clear up the previous future scenes... I kind of wish they hadn't wasted so much time on the "final boss" fighting scene.

What ? what do you need to do to reach A+ in animation.
I mean , damn , KnK was un even , but the animation was trully perfect. I fear to look what they are going to say about gundam build fighter then ... A- too ?

Jarmel

Banned

K-on:
B

How the fuck is Muromi-san a B? Also no fucking way is Kill La Kill like this pinnacle.

K-on:
B

lol @ Gatchaman Crowds being a B+

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Oh man. I could wait, but then again Full Metal Panic and Gundam Unicorn in the same game.

So far I dunno where I am in it. I've been largely ambivalent toward Nadeko (she is undoubtedly the worst of the girls in Araragi's actual harem) so it is nice to see her get some character development. Unlike with Hanekawa and the simultaneous tearing down of the perfect girl image that Araragi had built around her and the building her up from the subhuman depths which her so-called parents had thrust her into, it's sort of hard for me to tell where this arc is taking Nadeko. My guess is the message thus far is about how Nadeko is not a victim, or rather she is the one who chooses to do nothing after being victimized because it is easier that way (which is a much better version of Kawamori's "Because it's easier" episode. Especially since the author, for all his fetishes, is dedicated to the fact that not all endings are completely happy and that his cast does have to earn the happiness they get.).

So far though, Snake seems somewhere between an abusive boyfriend and a school bully, and I'm wondering if he doesn't embody the subconscious desire of Nadeko to be the oppressor instead of the oppressed.

It works, though, because context still gives it a negative connotation. Well, a negative positive one. In English it comes across as Shinobu giving a scathing review of the way some Japanese men are way too into submissive girls. The part about using her charms to manipulate men is still in place, at least to me, given that the word is Enchanting, and Enchantresses ruin lives in fairy tales all the time. Bewitching would've had the same effect as Enchanting to me. As far as I could tell it was supposed to be a compliment that was meant to be an insult. Shinobu tells her she's enchanting, which is messed up not only because it keeps the theme of people treating Nadeko like she's special because she's quiet, but also because it tells Nadeko that that's what she is to them: something magical, when all she wants is to be normal.

I have a feeling your gonna absolutley love this arc by the end of it, or hate it, or well something in between, which just covers all the bases really

How the fuck is Muromi-san a B? Also no fucking way is Kill La Kill like this pinnacle.

lol @ Gatchaman Crowds being a B+

what

WHAT

Is this list from bizarro world or does the CG in F/Z really bother people that much?

Fuyuka_desuyo.gif

So many things wrong in this.

Who is in charge of those notes anyway ? the staff or the visitors ?

jbug617

Banned
Funimation Simulcast.

As a lovely after Christmas treat, here’s another simulcast announcement! “Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha” will be joining our winter line-up.

Inari is a cheerful girl with a crush on the coolest guy in school, but she can’t seem to confess her feelings to him. When a goddess blesses her with the ability to shapeshift—much to the chagrin to the spiritual world—can love bloom for the young girl?

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=3...rSimulcasts2014&utm_source=InariKoSOCIALMEDIA

They have 1 more box left on their page

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So many things wrong in this.

Who is in charge of those notes anyway ? the staff or the visitors ?
A single staff member will write an individual review on their own and come up with the scores they think fit I would guess.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Furthermore, combatants in Fate/Zero typically move and have actual battle choreography rather than one combatant wildly thrashing against an immobile opponent who fights through conveniently simple proxy means.

This time the character design is by the Kanokon/Upotte guy so it might actually be worth watching!

it's going to be terrible.

It'll be worth watching if they adapt the crazy parts, like the main character
intentionally breaking his own back to dodge an attack.

sonicmj1

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 13

12 was fine and all, but this episode was so fucking cool. I love how they built on the dimensional rift stuff from earlier to create a submarine metaphor and create this awesome cat-and-mouse engagement.

Not only did this introduce another stone-cold badass amongst the Gamillian forces, it also gave a chance for development among more of the bridge crew. Things never felt super-desperate, but it was nice to see how the plan came together.

The scene where new Gamillian ships arrived demonstrated just how good this show is at mixing CG and hand-animated stuff. It's remarkable how much they improved from the first few episodes.

Even if it took this snowball a while to start rolling, I'm glad the show's building momentum in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom