• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolf Children

So I guess here's my take on the film.

There's a high probability that this will be my choice for AOTY for starters. I was stuck on the menu for about 5 minutes listening to the music, which basically geared me up for the soundtrack ahead. I am a sucker for piano, because it sounds wonderful to listen to.

The movie initially makes fairy-tale like comments, although I think it's more of a film in how the children grow up, and seeing the changes in their character along the way.

I'd kinda make a joke here, but I might refrain from it, mainly because of Hana's actions. She gave up her studies in order to take proper care for her kids, as well as to get them away from the city, partly because she didn't know what to do considering the children weren't exactly normal, and to avoid any possible confrontation about her kids origins
Nevermind their father dying
. Except, she ends up being a part of the community despite that, and continues to grow closer attached to said community, as well as the community getting closer to Hana.

Wolf Children gives time to fill out Hana's troubles, while also showing her children's characteristics as their growing in order to accomodate her to her new life, and to shift more attention to her children when the time was right, which I think happens when Winter comes. And good lord, the Winter scene was glorious as hell. Made Winter look fun, but didn't shy away from just how dangerous it was. The latter, was what caused something interesting in the overall dynamics.

Initially, Yuki was rather energetic, and more wolf-like than her brother, who was shy, and rather weak. But Winter basically changed that. And thankfully, it wasn't a quick transition. Instead, the Winter segment felt more like a new foundation that was built upon over time to show the changes between Yuki and Ame.

I think, right here, I should tackle Ame, someone who was scrutinized for being an asshole
because of fighting with his sister. I can't help but feel this scenario could've happened if they retained how they were before Winter. That and Yuki didn't look too good here either. Both sides basically want the other to do something they don't want to do.Frankly speaking, I really don't see how Ame being an "asshole" was a ruiner. He wanted to do something, he had a goal, basically, and both Yuki and Hana didn't want him to fulfill it for different reasons. Yuki for wanting him to continue to be human, in a school where he just couldn't fit in properly. The latter didn't think he was an adult.

As for Yuki
in regards to the shift, her wanting to go to school was what set it rolling, but the transfer student commenting on her smell pretty much sealed the deal here to be more human. The attack on Sohei from there on was more to draw her closer to Sohei despite what happened, and kind of felt more of a paralell of Hana and her Father's relationship up to when he revealed his true self to her.

Frankly speaking, I feel like what I wrote was terrible, because it kind of feels like a retelling, but there was a lot of effort to grow our characters in the span of a movie, without it really feeling rushed, and I find that rather commendable. I mean, I could hand wave it by saying "I would hope that a movie flesh out its characters well", but I feel like that would do a great disservice to this movie.

I might have to do some recollections on what I've watched over the past year to give my final thoughts, but I don't think I'll really budge on where to put Wolf Children.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I can make it if no one else wants to. Assuming I have at least a day to make it.

As you like; I'm fine either way. Just see how motivated you're feeling a few days from now.

I don't care who makes the winter thread as long as the title is "Winter 2014 Anime |OT| A Dandy Guy in the Space". Such stirring words as these deserve to be immortalized.

A Dandy Thread in the Space.

Whatever the case, we just have to get the next OT up before ToonamiGAF gets theirs up because they're probably planning on the same reference. That thread title is our birthright, dammit.

V1 sales for Outbreak Company and Nagi no Asukara are in.

Fall 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales
26,601 *4 Infinite Stratos 2 [DVD+BD]: 2013/10/30
*5,677 *1 Yowamushi Pedal [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/20
*3,010 *1 Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~ [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/18
- - - - - - - - - - - Manabi Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*1,560 *1 Outbreak Company [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/18
*1,144 *1 Nagi no Asukara [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/20
*1,030 *1 Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/12
**,882 *1 Galilei Donna [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/13
**,*** *0 Diabolik Lovers [DVD]: 2013/11/27
**,*** *0 Coppelion [DVD+BD]: 2013/11/27
**,*** *0 Meganebu! [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/20

Still nothing for Meganebu!

Source

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Anybody have a link to the most updated Winter 2014 chart?

Probably just anichart.net.

I guess I'll take dibs on Winter OT2 if no one objects. It should roughly coincide with the new season of that one show I used to talk about a lot.

I hope to someday play the Gakuen K game. Yata looks amazing, Fushimi too, the way they made Mikoto constantly repeat the grade and Munakata studying abroad so much to not graduate and be older than everyone, is a bit odd but works for me.
tumblr_myeli7ZBVP1t5kj4fo5_1280.jpg
tumblr_myeli7ZBVP1t5kj4fo4_r1_1280.jpg

Additional Wolf Children comment

Sohei's comment
about his mother being married is strangely... something. Mainly because of how he said that her mother won't care for him as much anymore when the new baby comes in, which mirrors the overall treatment between Yuki and Ame, the latter who was practically coddled up until he left to go on his own.

Kazzy

Whatever the case, we just have to get the next OT up before ToonamiGAF gets theirs up because they're probably planning on the same reference. That thread title is our birthright, dammit.

Redact this statement. Scrub the thread. This never happened.

Considering their predisposition (whatever the reason) for disliking this place, I could totally see this happening.

Branduil

Probably just anichart.net.

I guess I'll take dibs on Winter OT2 if no one objects. It should roughly coincide with the new season of that one show I used to talk about a lot.

Those should work, thanks.

cnet128

Banned
Non Non Biyori 12 END

That was certainly one of the most wince-inducing yet entertaining Poison Cooking gag segments I've seen in anything (and Lord knows I've seen quite a few). Komari and Hotaru's earnest devotion to each other is a thing of wonder.

Everything about Renchon was of course also amazing. Cute to see the whole "do we live in the countryside?" thing come full circle. Cuter still to see Renchon fairy upgrade.

I need another season of this show posthaste. That is all.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 17

htjctXo.jpg

This is an incredibly attractive design.

Phew, I was worried for a second there. I respect the show for not pulling an end-of-episode cliffhanger with Sanada's apparent death, instead quickly resolving it. These fake-out "deaths" can be annoying, but I can't complain too much if it's executed as elegantly as this one.

1. My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (movie)

2. Overture to a New War (movie)

3. Main series (110 episodes)

4. Gaiden (52 episodes)

The movies are optional and the second is basically an expanded remake of the first couple of episodes of the main show, but I'd say they're still worth checking out.

Gaiden (A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights and Spiral Labyrinth) consists of side stories set at different points in the existing time line.

Going to save this post for future reference since I plan to jump into LoGH relatively soon-ish.

Sweet sauce

Oh yes. Just what I've been waiting for :D.

Going to save this post for future reference since I plan to jump into LoGH relatively soon-ish.

duckroll

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 17

Phew, I was worried for a second there. I respect the show for not pulling an end-of-episode cliffhanger with Sanada's apparent death, instead quickly resolving it. These fake-out "deaths" can be annoying, but I can't complain too much if it's executed as elegantly as this one.

There's actually a couple of instances of stuff like that in the entire final stretch of the series. I found it pretty interesting that in almost every case it's resolved fairly quickly and the audience is never left hanging to know a characters fate. There are various scenes which use a possible fatality for dramatic effect, and I think in pretty much all the cases it works well to generate actual tension and not an artificial feeling. The intent is that characters are often in dangerous situations and they -can- die, but if they survive its generally because no one on the show really wants to die and they're mostly pretty capable people to begin with.

I think it's a pretty neat touch.

fertygo

one of the things i like most about ANN reviews is the "animation" score.

As an example set of these animation scores:
Devil is a Part-Timer: B+
Attack on Titan: B+
Fate/Zero: C
Dogs and Scissors: C-
Gatchaman Crowds: B+
Yuruyuri: C+
Zetman: B+
Kill la Kill: A
Beyond the Boundary: A-
Watamote: B-
Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen: A-
Muromi-san: B
K-on:
B
Does they only judging Devil is a Part-timer for its first 5 minute or what?

Well, whatever explanation Log Horizon gives in the end will be a big contrivance though. As far as the players remember, Elder Tale wasn't even a VR game originally, then the day a new expansion was released, they all wake up in a VR version of the game.

Log Horizon either will need actual magic (that transported them to another world or changed the world into the game), or technologically induced amnesia (that erased their memories from starting the VR version of Elder Tale before locking them in it), to explain the transition and their lack of memories about it.

It should just be magic - no need to muck it up with technocrubble when you can brush it aside with magnets.

log horizon is all a dream.

Just wanted to point out that the explanation for the apocalypse is IMO not important ... what is important is IMO the mecanics of game and how the game works.

As for how they got there ... well the author has his plans in place , believe me on this one. And i don't think anoyone will be disapointed.

cnet128

Banned
Tokyo Ravens 12

Nice episode. Best part was of course the gratuitous Kon tail petting scene which was heart-attack-inducing, but I was also surprised by how cute Suzuka seemed sometimes in this episode. Normally I wouldn't think of her as such, but I guess putting her in a remarkably flattering gym outfit (not to mention an onsen scene) and having her show plenty of weakness instead of being insufferably arrogant all the time can do wonders.

Meanwhile, of course, relationships in general seem to be moving forward rather swiftly this episode. I certainly wasn't expecting
Harutora to start suspecting Natsume of being Hokuto
so soon.

I really do love this show when it's concentrating on the school antics and relationship aspects rather than the tedious action/intrigue angle. Though that said, even the intrigue aspects in this episode seemed somewhat interesting, with talk of a
cloak that can be used to prove Natsume really is the reincarnation of That Legendary Dude
. I'd like to see that, and not just because I want to witness
Natsume in a badass cloak
=p

Oh, and speaking of badass, Touji continues to exude it in large quantities with the aid of his newfound demon abilities. Who needs action when the guy can invoke maximum badass status by just transforming in the middle of a conversation?

Soma

Saint☆Onii-san Movie

iVIgN3zLMDr5Y.jpg
iQtzR5pJxvkqO.jpg

The art direction in this film is fantastic.

So this was pretty nice. Pretty much in the same fashion of the OVA episodes except with the seasonal structure, the pacing flows quite nicely here. The film never goes out of its way to be overly exciting (with the exception of a few scenes) but it's not the type of film that really needs to be. It's a surprisingly grounded look into the everyday lives of these two eccentric characters completely out of their elements and follows them acclimating into this new "exotic" environment. It's very charming and most of all very... pleasant to watch.

The premise may seem like it could be rife with ill-intent satire but there's such a feel-good vibe that overflows throughout the entire movie, that I (personally at least) can't find anything offensive about it at all. Jesus and Buddha are such an adorable pair together and their fish out of water antics are a treat to watch.

Valvrave the Liberator Second Season Episode 24 – Revolution to the Future [END]

Probably my favorite line of dialogue in the episode as well was L-elfs line
he was my friend there when Haruto runes were depleted
Mixed feeling overall on things as it just felt like there could have been more pomp and circumstance, bells and whistles, and just like even the Golden Harakiri Blade ought to have been used. But it was still fun and intense though questionable in the writing department for me.
Did Haruto really need to leak all those runes in such fast succession when past episodes he didnt? And Q-vier, seriously? That was just so sudden and he was such a good character in terms of skills and personality, that just came out of nowhere and was so saddening

Will definitely buy when Aniplex USA releases it here, hopefully on BD and dub. In my top three mech after Fafner. Gundam Wing/Star Driver.

Hopefully BuddyCom can deliver next season

Hey, Fancy-Poster GAF rep here from The Pop Culture Art/Posters Thread aka Fancy Poster GAF . And with permission from Duckroll, I wanted to let you guys know of some Fancy Anime Posters we commissioned.

Ever since I got into poster collecting I've been looking for anime prints, but the usual galleries and poster outlets (Mondo, ACME, etc.) hardly ever do any anime related prints, so I went ahead and commissioned some to share with the rest of Fancy-Poster GAF. The first is a giclee and the other is a 9-color silkscreen print. If you're not familiar with those, basically they're not the cheap lithographs that are usually given away or sold for $10 at wal-mart and what not. The paper for Commission #2 itself costs over $30. Commission #3 is printed via silkscreen and as such there is actual texture on the poster. More info regarding the printing techniques here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30146916&postcount=2

The first one we did was actually for Metal Gear Solid by Ash Thorp, so these are the second and third Fancy-Poster GAF commisisons.

Fancy Poster-GAF Commission #2

Majo no Takkyūbin Version S by Jasmin Darnell ( http://www.jasmindarnell.com/ )

(close-up)

headshots_zps435ccffa.jpg

kikialtcloseup_zpsfc12f975.jpg

(Full)

kikialtforweb_zps1ed142e1.jpg

18"x24" giclee on Premium Textured Water Color Paper, Epson Cold Press Bright White - 340 gsm, 19 mil - archival. Printed by Giclee Today. Hand-numbered edition to be determined by the amount of orders. $45 but after x amount of orders the price will drop evenly for everyone. Shipping would be $15 domestic but if you're international I'd need to calculate it.

How to buy online: Send me a PM and let me know you'd like a copy. Include in the PM your PayPal address and which version(s) you'd like.

Majo no Takkyūbin Version C by Jasmin Darnell ( http://www.jasmindarnell.com/ )

(close-up)

kiki2forwebcloseup_zpseda5b9fb.jpg

(Full)

kiki2forweb_zpse4f0bf25.jpg

18"x24" giclee on Premium Textured Water Color Paper, Epson Cold Press Bright White - 340 gsm, 19 mil - archival. Printed by Giclee Today. Hand-numbered edition to be determined by the amount of orders. $45 but after x amount of orders the price will drop evenly for everyone, as no profit can be on this one. Shipping would be $15 domestic but if you're international I'd need to calculate it.

Fancy Poster-GAF Commission #3

Paprika by Hebitsukai ( http://hebi.soragoto.net/ )

realwebverpaprika_title_zpsf3ee6caa.jpg

closeup2_zpsd22ea306.jpg
closeup1_zps581abad5.jpg
closeup3_zps12a49722.jpg

24"x18" 9-color screenprint. Hand-numbered edition of 50. Cost is still TBD but estimated to be $40~$45. The estimated print date is also still TBD. But likely not in January. Shipping would be $15 domestic but if you're international I'd need to calculate it.

There may be a variant, but probably not.

How to buy online: Send me a PM and let me know you'd like a copy. Include in the PM your PayPal address.

Last Exile Fam 19 - 21 [END]

Man, I don't know what you guys were complaining about. I liked it for the most part. Original series was much better, but this kept me entertained, and the soundtrack was above average. Though the thing that struck me as ridiculously silly was that
Luscinia essentially just gives up and wanders off to die as soon as Fam shows up for the final confrontation. Really made no sense
. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the series
didn't really have villains. Just different sides with different perspectives, much like the real world

It was a fun series. Doesn't make my top 10, but it was waaaay better than IS2. So that's something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey, Fancy-Poster GAF rep here from The Pop Culture Art/Posters Thread aka Fancy Poster GAF . And with permission from Duckroll, I wanted to let you guys know of some Fancy Anime Posters we commissioned.

Ever since I got into poster collecting I've been looking for anime prints, but the usual galleries and poster outlets (Mondo, ACME, etc.) hardly ever do any anime related prints, so I went ahead and commissioned some to share with the rest of Fancy-Poster GAF. The first is a giclee and the other is a 9-color silkscreen print. If you're not familiar with those, basically they're not the cheap lithographs that are usually given away or sold for $10 at wal-mart and what not. The paper for Commission #2 itself costs over $30. Commission #3 is printed via silkscreen and as such there is actual texture on the poster. More info regarding the printing techniques here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...16&postcount=2
I'm curious, how much is shipping?

Hanamaru Kindergarten 5

There was Evangelion and FMA cameos. We've truly GAINAX'D now.

Err I mean, detective babies are on the scene!

Plus points for extra adorbs Koume.

Phi brain - S3 - 13

Ah Ah
Phi%20Brain%20-%20Kami%20no%20Puzzle%20S3%20-%2012.jpg

He's back !
This season ... i knew they would do it again !

They shamefully reused the same plot device as season 2 and even reused the same fake conclusion ... but it doesn't matter because a hebert that is not evil and rotten would be boring as possible.

The puzzle itself was fine and the solution was quite good.

I'm actually happy that they will continue next week with a deadlier puzzle...ah she is finally serious... can't wait to finally have some answers.

Quasar

Naruto Shippuden - will resume again on 1/9
Cardfight Vanguard - will take one week off and return on 1/12
Space Brothers - will resume again on 1/4
Saint Seiya Omega - will resume again on 1/8
Kill La Kill - will resume again on 1/9
Magi - will resume again on 1/5
Ace of the Diamond - will take one week off and return on 1/12
Yowapeda - will resume again on 1/6
Samurai Flamenco - will resume again on 1/9
Hunter x Hunter - will resume again on 1/7
Golden Time - will resume again on 1/9
Nagi no Asakura - will resume again on 1/9
STRIKE THE BLOOD - will resume again on 1/10
Hajime no Ippo -Rising- - will resume again on 12/28
Kuroko's Basketball - will resume again on 1/4
One Piece - will resume again on 1/4
Toriko - will resume again on 1/6
BBB - will resume again on 1/6

I wonder what happens with the Monogatari and While Album 2 finales.

wonzo

Banned
Log Horizon 11-12

loghorizon11.jpg

With a cover like that it's no wonder they screwed up so much!

The political stuff's interesting as always but I had no idea the NPC's stopped handing out quests since the incident. Seems like a waste this show hasn't expanded on the implications of that in the first few episodes though.

I expect two episodes since Onoda isn't in the title for the next ep.
Ugh, I'm still enjoying this show a great deal but I really do wish this'd pick up the pacing again after how brisk the first few eps felt.

Ugh, I'm still enjoying this show a great deal but I really do wish this'd pick up the pacing again after how brisk the first few eps felt.

Indeed. Training arcs just aren't fun to wait through. Almost makes me wished I held off a bit more since I didn't keep track of how long the show was going on for, but hey! Would've had more to go through.

Valvrave the Liberator - 24 END

Let me just get this out of the way.

Q-VIER DIED Q-VIER DIED Q-VIER DIED Q-VIER DIED Q-VIER DIED

As many predicted, Haruto used all his runes and lost his memories and ended up dying. I call bullshit on Shoko though. Yeah, she cried at Haruto's death, but we don't get to hear her say an "I'm sorry" from her? At least make her seem repentant for crying out loud!

So wait, who ended up with who? Did L-Elf end up with Saki or was it A-Drei? From the looks of things I would assume A-Drei. Still though, everything seemed kind of rushed at the end. But given how crazy this series went at times, I'm willing to forgive it. I don't see how another season could go considering everything that's happened.

All in all, show was pretty good. When the show decided to go all out, it really went all out. It's been one hell of a ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom