• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 40

LYHn81p.jpg

This was more :firehawk than Naisho 4, and just as melancholy. Visual and aural style felt entirely distinct from other episodes of Doremi with Mamoru Hosoda stepping in, but at the same time felt entirely appropriate with the subject being touched on.

Also, it seems I was right in feeling that this episode is the beginning of the end.

Gintama - The Final Chapter
Or is it?!?!?!
:

I'll avoid talking about this in detail because I'm sure people will watch this in a few days, but man... what a ride. It's a film that is both fan-service and troll, something old and something new, mocking and genuine in its emotional moments... it is basically everything that Gintama has represented as a series for the last 5 years encapsulated into a movie that is a bit under two hours. Perfect.

In lieu of talking about anything specific, I'll just post the first shot from the film:
YHvopzKl.jpg

If only because this was a real commercial that played in theaters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT7ijnOHEDs

I still can't believe how this movie opens. lol

If this really is the end of Gintama as an animated property, then this is probably as good a sendoff as they could give us given that the manga is still going. It delivers upon the promise that was used to troll fans years ago in a clever way by using a gimmick that usually falls apart in most fiction.

I will say, if nothing else, this movie made much more sense than the
Doctor Who Christmas special
that just aired. Although I guess that isn't too hard.

mfKe2tdl.png

Bravo Sunrise. Bravo.

Indeed.

Touch - 21~30
Ai ga zutto hitoribocchi yo to...
Man, episode 25 and 26 were perfect. The anime is great.
Kudos for Harada for being a men among men. It's high time people see Tatsuya for what he is instead of being a fake Kazuya,
it's a shame he needed to die for this to happen. To tell the truth my little brother is a lot like me and people who met me first call him my clone and people ta met him first call me his clone...and I don't know what I would do if he died, I really love him...so I sort of understand what Tatsuya is felling.
;(
And there's still so much to see.

Then I went and watched this...

Gintama - The Final Chapter
Or is it?!?!?!
:

I'll avoid talking about this in detail because I'm sure people will watch this in a few days, but man... what a ride. It's a film that is both fan-service and troll, something old and something new, mocking and genuine in its emotional moments... it is basically everything that Gintama has represented as a series for the last 5 years encapsulated into a movie that is a bit under two hours. Perfect.

In lieu of talking about anything specific, I'll just post the first shot from the film:
YHvopzKl.jpg

If only because this was a real commercial that played in theaters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT7ijnOHEDs

I still can't believe how this movie opens. lol

If this really is the end of Gintama as an animated property, then this is probably as good a sendoff as they could give us given that the manga is still going. It delivers upon the promise that was used to troll fans years ago in a clever way by using a gimmick that usually falls apart in most fiction.

I will say, if nothing else, this movie made much more sense than the
Doctor Who Christmas special
that just aired. Although I guess that isn't too hard.

mfKe2tdl.png

Bravo Sunrise. Bravo.

...there's nothing for me to add. I make your words my own.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 40

LYHn81p.jpg

This was more :firehawk than Naisho 4, and just as melancholy. Visual and aural style felt entirely distinct from other episodes of Doremi with Mamoru Hosoda stepping in, but at the same time felt entirely appropriate with the subject being touched on.

Also, it seems I was right in feeling that this episode is the beginning of the end.

Yeah, this episode has a completely diferent feel from the rest of the series, but it feels... just right.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 41

0XwZDOt.jpg

M-70 from the OST getting used once again. You know, the more I think about it the more I feel that this ending is shaping up to be more proper than S1. It's like then everything was going so fast and people so caught up in events that they never really thought things through, but now that they're being given another chance with far more experience it's time to really do so.

Valvrave 24

This was a disappointing end to a disappointing 2nd half. The show ended up as something with a few moments of brilliance (mostly in the first half), but ultimately not as something that was very good. It worked much better when it was an insane roller coaster about a few main characters (especially L-Elf and Saki), when it tried to flesh out the back story, create some kind of mythos, or focus on side characters, the writing failed and the results were mostly boring and uninteresting. The magius stuff in particular was mostly just bad, and the teases about the future were a cheap gimmick that never paid off. It really doesn't deserve to be ranked next to something like Geass. Hopefully the franchise is done, because there's nothing worth continuing on from here.

Finalow

Tokyo Godfathers

tumblr_lzmk1tFPwe1qjtzsdo1_500.gif

nice, I really liked it. I was a little disappointed by the ending that it's not really an ending, but apart from that I enjoyed it quite a bit.
loved those random events, like the incidents.

Ryuuroden

Last Exile Fam 19 - 21 [END]

Man, I don't know what you guys were complaining about. I liked it for the most part. Original series was much better, but this kept me entertained, and the soundtrack was above average. Though the thing that struck me as ridiculously silly was that
Luscinia essentially just gives up and wanders off to die as soon as Fam shows up for the final confrontation. Really made no sense
. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the series
didn't really have villains. Just different sides with different perspectives, much like the real world

It was a fun series. Doesn't make my top 10, but it was waaaay better than IS2. So that's something.

Like I told you before, the 2nd half more than made up for the first even with the bad character development, and annoying choices. Its easier for me to overlook stupid characters cause I'm used to them in anime and well even in non anime shows. I don't condone stupid character development/writing, if the show makes up for it in other ways, I will live with it. So my love of fam is definitely in the battles.

Theonik

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 01-06
i9v8EsAtc2YtC.png
ibwSLg5BEA5ZHM.png
iyBf7yqpQraIC.png

[REDACTED]
These were a solid 6 first episodes. Proper character introductions, and good world-building. The design work in this series is awesome. Not entirely pleased with the CG though, especially on episode one. It was pretty bad Yukikaze basically drifting in space like a 50s chevy convertible will forever scar me.
Another point that weirded me out was the first warp scene. It's a sequence of flybys around the ship with the time being stopped which was incredibly cool which ends with focusing on a single female crewmember who inexplicably has her clothes turn transparent in the process and we get a lingering pan of the panties and bra only for that to become transparent as well. WHY.JPG The show didn't pull anything like that before and hasn't since. This was in episode 03.
Seeing as everyone has pretty much mentioned most things I wanted to say here is a waifu ranking to fill some space:
Pilot from accounting > Twintails > glasses > blonde >>>>> medic(literally the worst design in he show thus far)
Also have a butt There's a lot more in the show naturally, this is the unholy union of AIC of Strike Witches 2 fame and Xebec after all.

Narag

Yamato 2199 - 3

Tension so good in this. I mean it's early so you know the Yamato isn't going to blow up or anything to end it all but stuff like testing the warp or the wave motion gun had unexpected results and there was a sense of wonder how they'd escape Jupiter when they were trapped.

Also the previews in this are commendable so far. The countdown present in the three I've seen coupled with the music and voiceover is just wonderful. Really incites the "just one more ep" feeling I've been resisting so far. :lol

On that note concerning the previews,
did they really muster an amazing fakeout in the preview at the end of episode 2? I could have sworn the preview titled episode 3 as "Escape from Mars Sphere" or some such and showed nothing of Jupiter. Come this ep, we get all the Jupiter stuff and an episode title of "Escape from Jupiter Sphere". Bravo at that masterful misdirection if so.

duckroll

Yamato 2199 - 3

On that note concerning the previews,
did they really muster an amazing fakeout in the preview at the end of episode 2? I could have sworn the preview titled episode 3 as "Escape from Mars Sphere" or some such and showed nothing of Jupiter. Come this ep, we get all the Jupiter stuff and an episode title of "Escape from Jupiter Sphere". Bravo at that masterful misdirection if so.

That was a mistake in the subtitles. Hooray for English subs on Japanese products.

Jarmel

Banned
Time for ufotable's FSN hype machine to start warming up again.

https://twitter.com/ufotable/status/416468794303713280

http://www.fate-sn.com/

More information coming in the TYPE-MOON Ace issue on January 30.

They also finally made available the teaser PV from way back in July, the one they showed at the Kara no Kyoukai 3D theater screenings, but it's on Aniplex's Youtube channel, so here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18wryq

Spoilers within for Fate/Zero.

So this is definitely Fate route.

Hold on to your butts.

/XX/

All this OST talk has reminded me that I was determined to purchase the Gunbuster soundtrack. Considering it's probably long since gone out of print, I think the price is actually quite reasonable at 6000 yen. Whether that's me just justifying it because of what it is, or Japan has just skewed my perspective on actual value, I'm not sure!
Considering it went on sale at the time north of ¥7000, I'd say it is an excellent offer on value, if new.

How is neoGainax even getting by on one project a year?
The same way they survived for most of their existance doing only a big project at a time; they couldn't even do more simultaneously with their specific permanent staff and structure. And that's why all their attributed major works have been co-productions on the animation department, or them being subcontractors. Because lets remember the studio was formed as a way for some amateurs to finally make a solus film, any other thing could nearly kill them:

[inside] GAINAX / Newtype USA said:
According to Yamaga, the film almost marked the beginning and the end of the fledgling studio. "Everyone had been saying we should stop [running the company]. I mean, it was a pain to keep it going, and the basic idea was if you could just land that first job and make that first movie, then your career would be pretty much in the bag, so after that, who needs a company, right?" Yet someone eventually stepped in to direct a follow-up project: Hideaki Anno with Gunbuster in 1988, and then Takeshi Mori with Fushigi no Umi no Nadia ("Nadia, Secret of Blue Water"), released three years later. "In the beginning, it was like that: doing it one project at a time. It lasted as far as Evangelion. So it wasn't like we had this great plan for where we were going to take the company and then got to Evangelion on the strength of that. We just somehow kept going, you know."
http://www.evamonkey.com/inside_gainax.htm

They are basically a very simple planning outfit with a board of very close dedicated directors, a bunch of passionate affiliated people and the help of freelancers friends of the studio. Even the ordeal of establishing a little digital photography department by 2007 for TTGL, late compared to many other studios and in that temporal pre-fabricated building that was their home (but not their main office, mind you) for so long, was a spectacular accomplishment for them at the time.

That's apparently the reason Mr. Yamaga recommended Mr. Anno to fund his own studio to tackle the Rebuild of Evangelion project, because they couldn't have possibly cope with that along the already planned and scheduled TTGL.

But that's basically the same scenario that happened to European Wolves, except replace reverence with fear and you're good.
We are actually witnessing a resurgence of that species here on Spain, even with individuals coming from refuge habitats on the north down to the south, repopulating vast areas long ago abandoned by sometimes unwanted and persecuted packs or litters. Public government's economic compensations given to farmers in case of lost livestock on attacks perpetrated by wolfs have certainly alleviated their hate towards these totally necessary and equally majestic animals.

one of the things i like most about ANN reviews is the "animation" score.
Lets take a look one more time to their score for Crayon Shin-chan and weep in horror!

Theonik

VVV 24
I think dialling back expectations for this helped.
It was pretty predictable but I still enjoyed it. Some nice fights and some lead into the flashback stuff we got.
Kinda sad that it doesn't leave much room for a sequel though, will miss this show. But I'm glad they concluded it at the same time. Eru eruhu *salutes*

The same way they survived for most of their existance doing only a big project at a time; they couldn't even do more simultaneously with their specific permanent staff and structure. And that's why all their attributed major works have been co-productions on the animation department, or them being subcontractors. Because lets remember the studio was formed as a way for some amateurs to finally make a solus film, any other thing could nearly kill them:

http://www.evamonkey.com/inside_gainax.htm

They are basically a very simple planning outfit with a board of very close dedicated directors, a bunch of passionate affiliated people and the help of freelancers friends of the studio. Even the ordeal of establishing a little digital photography department by 2007 for TTGL, late compared to many other studios and in that temporal pre-fabricated building that was their home (but not their main office, mind you) for so long, was a spectacular accomplishment for them at the time.

That's apparently the reason Mr. Yamaga recommended Mr. Anno to fund his own studio to tackle the Rebuild of Evangelion project, because they couldn't have possibly cope with that along the already planned and scheduled TTGL.

Thanks for the in-depth response. I hadn't realized the extent of their limited size. Very informative.

We can hope it's HF. right? RIGHT?!

This image is pretty specific to fate. It's a shame, if nothing else I would have loved to see them animate the fights in HF.
As long as they do justice to the threeway sex scene, I'm happy.
If you thought CG berserker was sexy, just wait for ufotable's CG dragon.

BluWacky

Does Heaven's Feel even make sense if you don't know Fate and Unlimited Blade Works? Bear in mind my experience with Fate Stay Night is the first episode and the Wikipedia article so I don't have much understanding of how it fits together beyong the major plot points. If, as I suspect, the other two arcs make no sense without the first then UFOTable would be silly not to remake Fate, particularly given the reputation of DEEN's adaptation.

Jarmel

Banned
Does Heaven's Feel even make sense if you don't know Fate and Unlimited Blade Works? Bear in mind my experience with Fate Stay Night is the first episode and the Wikipedia article so I don't have much understanding of how it fits together beyong the major plot points. If, as I suspect, the other two arcs make no sense without the first then UFOTable would be silly not to remake Fate, particularly given the reputation of DEEN's adaptation.

They were never going to do a pure adaptation of HF as you do need some background info in Fate and UBW.

Does Heaven's Feel even make sense if you don't know Fate and Unlimited Blade Works?
Not really. The entire route is a response to Shirou's character arcs in the previous two routes, and the way the grail war goes down is to show what happens when the system completely breaks down. FSN has an enforced route playing order for a reason.

Jarmel

Banned
Now what would be interesting/amazing is they adaptated all three routes, each being 12/13 episodes. All waifus get screentime.

Pooya

looking how they're kinda pitching this as the 'sequel' to Fate Zero now with that teaser/tagline, if it's just Fate route or UBW, most of major things happening in Zero that they spent quite a bit of time showing (and talking!!) don't even appear here, it will be quite meh.

But then again my impression from Fate/Zero anime was that they assumed viewers are familiar with Fate route as they didn't spend any time on anything around Saber and what's happening to her, not even brief mentions, if you watched those scenes and in the ending too and didn't know what her story is it would look confusing.

I feel that there is room to insert things from HF here but not the cool things from it if it focuses on Saber/Fate.

edit: yeah I think all the footage is from Vita OPs. Assumption that it's based on Fate route comes from the keyart which screams Fate.

duckroll

Just checked Crunchyroll's Winter lineup page, and it looks like they have 8 slots now. The first two announcements will come sometime today, on Dec 27. Exciting!

Jex

[Gintama: Movie 2]

I hope no-one takes any of this too seriously, or they'll end up with a headache.

Pretty good stuff, basically what I wanted and expected out of a Gintama movie. I was personally hoping for some super-sakuga stuff but I'm not surprised it didn't happen, as it's just my weird preference.

Theonik

Space Buttleship Yamato 2199 07
iN5614oqj3T15.png
ilMpjCbuA7Di7.png

NTR in the space
This was a more lowkey episode with the Yamato crew speaking to their families a final time in a symbolical line-crossing ceremony, in this we got to know some of the characters better and some great antics. This kind of episode helps sell that the crew of the Yamato is human and really living through all this. The small titbits about the happenings on earth in the transmissions were cool too.
Also some pretty [REDACTED] shots.
Twintails got quite a few points in the rankings for YRA. So did glasses but neither was able to change their places as Pilot gained a lot of points as well. Medic gained 5 points but lost 10 living her firmly in the last place.
A decent amount of butts.

That FSN teaser trailer is primarily composed of scenes from all three route OPs from the Vita game and isn't indicative of anything at all.

But that's still no reason not to unreasonably hyped in true NeoGaf fashion.

Defuser

Gintama the Movie : The Final Chapter

What a way to end 2013 with the best anime movie which is Gintama. Sorry Index, sorry Steins;Gate, sorry Blue Exorcist, lol Madoka but Gintama is the king even in movies.

It has everything......comedy, action, shounen heart, friendship and Sugita. . I suggest that anybody who never watch Gintama should give this movie a try.

And grown up Kagura with boobs is hot.

Gintama the Movie : The Final Chapter

What a way to end 2013 with the best anime movie which is Gintama. Sorry Index, sorry Steins;Gate, sorry Blue Exorcist, lol Madoka but Gintama is the king even in movies.

It has everything......comedy, action, shounen heart, friendship and Sugita. . I suggest that anybody who never watch Gintama should give this movie a try.

And grown up Kagura with boobs is hot.

Wait, I've only seen about 25 episodes of Gintama. Would I be able to understand the movie if I watch it now? Are there any spoilers I should be aware of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom