• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious, how much is shipping?

Ah, sorry. I didn't write it here but I did in the Fancy poster thread. Should be no more than $15 domestic, but I'd have to calculate it if it's international. It'll be shipped in a strong 3" tube wrapped in kraft paper and tissue paper via USPS Priority.

The World God Only Knows Episodes 5-7

Another solid few episodes! Kanon was adorable. Definitely prefer short hair look. Loved Elsie as usual. Best bits were the quick flashbys of the characters, when you'd see Elsie dressed as an Idol!

The songs were really good. I'm not too into following the voices of the seiyuu to recognizing them in other anime or games, but the actress was a great singer.

Keima was great again as usual. Mother amazing as well. Loved seeing her and Elsie hug it out. :)

Elsie still best girl.

Averon

Valvrave the Liberator - 24

Very poor, unsatisfying ending. The final battle and
Haruto and L-Elf's final scene together
were the only interesting bits.

Quasar

Valvrave the Liberator - 24

Very poor, unsatisfying ending. The final battle and
Haruto and L-Elf's final scene together
were the only interesting bits.

Personally I thought the battle was overlong. But then I tend of feel combat scenes in anime as always overlong.

And really I would have preferred a full episode epilogue.

Hanamaru Kindergarten 7

y2QNwU8.jpg
oc8QJjY.jpg

Suddenly harem anime! And one of them would count for NTR! Unincluded in this is the sister, who is definitely more dere than tsun, making her better than most tsundere characters by a landslide.

And we get backstory on how Tsuchida fucked up with his initial chase.

Fucking hoverhand sensei!

JCG

Valvrave - 24 END

You could argue it was ostensibly a fitting way to conclude a specific season yet not quite satisfying as the ultimate series finale. Which is why I'd actually say the resolution was kind of mediocre, in terms of lacking enough surprises to make it exciting, but more or less being what I honestly expected to see at this point. I'm feeling more indifferent than truly unsatisfied in that respect.

There was some nice action involved albeit with nothing really special. Most of the loose ends were connected to the future setting, which they only tangentially addressed, but the present stuff was almost too predictable in its resolution.
So long, Haruto! It's not like we couldn't already tell you were going to lose memories and die or anything!
In the end this ride concluded with a bit of a whimper rather than a standing ovation, even if the last episode still had some good scenes and decent one-liners. Can't really compare to the Code Geass finale though, which I wanted to rewatch (and did!) right after it finished.

Overall, most of Valvrave was fun to watch so I guess the experience wasn't too bad.

Digimon Xros Wars 30

Obligatory return back to the real world and stuff. And suddenly!

MI7BWtMl.jpg

We get a real evolution!

Actually, it looks stupid and ugly. Never mind.

Kazzy

How to buy online: Send me a PM and let me know you'd like a copy. Include in the PM your PayPal address.

I really like the Kiki one.

I'd need to know how much delivery cost (and time) would be - seeing as I'm on a relatively tight schedule. Though, I'm definitely interested!

CorvoSol

Yeah, I actually agree that the English translation you quoted still works really quite well. It just works in a completely different way from the original text (there was certainly no commentary on Japanese tastes in the original text, for a start…) and I'm not sure if that's something a translation should be aiming for.

...I'm also not sure how intentional the departure in meaning really was. >.> It seems more likely to me that they just picked "enchanting" as their best approximation of "mashou" and the newfound irony came about by accident. Maybe I've just had so much experience with bad translations that I can't give them the benefit of the doubt any more ~.~

Yeah, when you don't know a language it is a lot easier to be satisfied with subs.

Lelouch is alive and the proper spelling is Bolo. Truthbombs.

Lelouch retired to a tomato farm in Paradigm City.

The true spelling is Frolo.
Also Lelouch is now a Kamitsuki and appears on VVV R2.

True spelling is Frodo.

Corvo started it.

It's true. I am the worst of all the Kuribos.

Hanamaru Kindergarten 8

A NEW LOVE RIVAL! HINAGIKU! Child of the mafia dude we've seen in episode 6. All this continuity! She really stole the episode from the first half, in where we saw someone get to work with her dad after the act of flattery.

Straight up strolls in declaring a marriage, and gave Blue Hair Sensei more screenn time. Best Hanamaru.

SHE'S AWARE OF HOW YAMAMOTO ENSNARES MEN! Why is Hinagiku so based?

CorvoSol

Monogatari SS 13

Is it just me, or does Senjougahara's mere existence block more lady-cocks than almost any other anime character I can think of naming? Girl isn't even ever on screen and is nearly a titan to these poor harem trapped girls. Meanwhile, every single girl in the harem is apparently going to sleep in Araragi's bed. I guess that, in the name of fairness, Hanekawa has slept in Senjougahara's bed, too. Araragi's running like a free love cult here or something, I dunno.

zeroshiki

Is it just me, or does Senjougahara's mere existence block more lady-cocks than almost any other anime character I can think of naming? Girl isn't even ever on screen and is nearly a titan to these poor harem trapped girls.

That's a better setup than seeing random protagonist A meander around from girl to girl acting as if previous girls did not exist.

CorvoSol

That's a better setup than seeing random protagonist A meander around from girl to girl acting as if previous girls did not exist.

Instead protagonist meanders from girl to girl and his girlfriend barely exists. I referred to Senjougahara as a Titan because that's all she is: a giant, insurmountable obstacle. The girl has literally 0 character development. She desperately needs an arc dedicated to herself at this point. Araragi at least gets development via interaction with others, but Senjou is just some bullet point on his resume.

Hanamaru Kindergarten 9

And thus we reveal the hidden truth. Yamamoto isn't oblivious when it comes to relationships when they're not actually directed at her! In fact, SO IS HER SISTER! These two somehow managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

And Blue Hair became a teacher so that way there would be more macho students for the future, and is into macho men. Now that's a rarity.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gintama - The Final Chapter
Or is it?!?!?!
:

I'll avoid talking about this in detail because I'm sure people will watch this in a few days, but man... what a ride. It's a film that is both fan-service and troll, something old and something new, mocking and genuine in its emotional moments... it is basically everything that Gintama has represented as a series for the last 5 years encapsulated into a movie that is a bit under two hours. Perfect.

In lieu of talking about anything specific, I'll just post the first shot from the film:
YHvopzKl.jpg

If only because this was a real commercial that played in theaters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT7ijnOHEDs

I still can't believe how this movie opens. lol

If this really is the end of Gintama as an animated property, then this is probably as good a sendoff as they could give us given that the manga is still going. It delivers upon the promise that was used to troll fans years ago in a clever way by using a gimmick that usually falls apart in most fiction.

I will say, if nothing else, this movie made much more sense than the
Doctor Who Christmas special
that just aired. Although I guess that isn't too hard.

mfKe2tdl.png

Bravo Sunrise. Bravo.

Articalys

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
KILL la KILL 12

FUCK YEAH LET'S DO THIS

Zombie Ryuko is fucking awesome. I'm so ready for the second half of the series.

When Nui finally gets wrecked I will a happy motherfucker. FUCK THAT BITCH

SaiKano 12

Oh Chise... ;_;

And we're back where we started...

Golden Time 12

Koko, you're fucking clingy as fuck.
I really hope they do the right thing and use this as a lesson for you.

YEAHHHHH this won't end badly at alllll....

Michael_Jackson_popcorn.gif

Well look who decided to finally show up.

oh god my fucking heart

Valvrave the Liberator S2 11

L-Elf inflitration mission
? I'm so fucking giddy right now.

No SERIOUSLY FUCK THIS GENKI LITTLE BRAT YOU DON'T GET TO TAKE YAMADA FUCKKKKKKK

L-ELF you fucking rockstar.

Infinite Stratos S2 12 END

a-bomb-JC.png

"A bomb!"

Mediocre action, chopped up with awkward internal conflicts and dialogue, and all logic pushed aside for a stupid harem ending. Pretty par for the course. Ugh.

This season was trash. S1 was at least tolerable, if not mildly entertaining. Bleh. Charlotte better win next season
;_; I know it will never happen...
I'm also holding out hope that
they'll find away to re-adapt America's Rep into the show cause USA USA USA

Hanamaru Kindergarten 10

Hey, remember when Nao was the star runner for her team in Smile Precure, and she fucked up by tripping? YEAH, repeat that for Koume, except the team part. Fucking Gainax!

Oh better yet, why are the siblings rather... clingy to their other sibling. I mean it's even weirder that it's an older brother for Koume.

As for Tsuchida though. He finally did it! He confessed!
TOO BAD HIS LINE WAS FROM THE ONE MANGA SHE READ! Fucking density!

wonzo

Banned
GBF 12

gundambf12.jpg

Ehh, this was kinda underwhelming after last weeks hype as fuck ending. Still, I can't help but think of Reji's "backstory" scene and laugh every time the infantile chairman starts to fret over him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Its an anti-piracy ad that plays before EVERY movie. Everyone watching the movie is supposed to know it and have seen it. That was probably what they were going for with the parody.
Yeah. Even better if it played right before this movie, because it would have made for a nice double-take moment. lol

GBF 12

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18780843/anime/gundambf12.jpg

Ehh, this was kinda underwhelming after last weeks hype as fuck ending. Still, I can't help but think of Reji's "backstory" scene and laugh every time the infantile chairman starts to fret over him.
Her hair is the same colour as her outfit!

CorvoSol

Monogatari SS 15

Holy shit Nadeko is fucking insane. I mean, I thought Hanekawa was insane, but nope. Hanekawa was terrifying because she was focused, and the Cat and the Tiger were her Stress and Frustration, but the Snake is just plain Nadeko going apeshit insane.
I mean that final shot of her smiling and laughing in the rain was nuts. I suppose it is more fair to refer to her Snake as the Basilisk or the Medusa or the Gorgon, but you get the point. The point is the girl has a Snake that is telling her it's God, and she compares Araragi to something beyond her reach. I will spare you further Garden of Eden Allegory, because there's another thing I want to get at instead. Meanwhile, Nadeko is fucking nuts. Flips out on her teacher, delivers a much deserved verbal beatdown to her classmates, and spends a full episode discussing her ascension to Godhood with a SCRUNCHY. Girl is literally discussing Godhood and inadvertently waltzing through a veritable sermon on Snakes and Gods with a SCRUNCHY. Also she completely seems to have forgotten all kinds of key scenes over the past two or three days so there's that, too.

I think this arc is about getting over unrequited crushes. When you're a teenager that stuff stings and you realize that the other person isn't ignoring you because they don't like you, but because you never even gave them a choice. Nadeko idolized Araragi, but Tsuhiki's commentary is on the mark: Araragi was only an idol to Nadeko, and it was a convenient means of her escaping further pain or trouble by having her stupid secret crush. Nadeko's gone from seeing herself as a martyr for her love to bargaining about it "what's wrong with just loving him from afar?" to impotent, misaimed anger and now she's in the bitterness of self-loathing that precedes actually moving on from it. If I'm right, which I tend not to be, that means this will all end with Nadeko giving up on her own.

Senjougahara continues to be an uncharacter, though. She doesn't even appear in this episode. She's just a ray of light from the heavens and the thunderous voice of the Great Jehovah or Zeus or Odin staring down at Sengoku and blocking her path altogether. It was touched on in both the Hanekawa arc and this episode that the way the other girls don't think less of Senjougahara is just plain unnatural. It's also worth pointing out that every single person who knows Araragi and Senjougahara (minus Araragi's sisters) has tried to kill one or all of them. Hanekawa's Cat tried to off Araragi and her Tiger was planning on burning Senjougahara alive.
Nadeko intends to kill both of them
, and Kanbaru's Monkey tried to kill Araragi. I guess Mayoi didn't try, yet anyway. The point is one of these days one of these monsters is gonna get the jump on Hitagi and then stuff's going to go down, because I really don't think Senjougahara's pencils are sharp enough to pierce a tiger made of furious flame.

Long story short Nadeko is batshit insane and Senjougahara is the "Orcus on his Throne" of girlfriends.

Hanamaru Kindergarten 11

Depressed Teacher episode! With an extra side of moping.

Really wished Hinagiku was more prominent through this show.

Thoraxes

Valvrave - 24 FIN

And so ends one of the best shows of the year.

I laughed, I cried, I shipped every character I could together, and I laughed a lot more. Nothing will ever be able to replicate the fondness I have for Valvrave.

Thank you Eru Erufu for being best character of the year in any show
Thank you Tokishima Haruto for being you
Thank you Saki for usurping Shoko and becoming the best girl of the show
Thank you Marie for your Nobi actions
Thank you
magius
for being the best villians

Thank you Sunrise for giving me hot robot action. Seriously, you delivered.

This is like the best show ever. Fuck yeah.

holysan

Valvrave - 24

; _ ;

Oh well.. an ending where
Shoko
lives, is certainly a good ending. Thank god we mustn't endure a season without a Sunrise mecha, give Buddy Complex, now.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Monogatari SS 15

Holy shit Nadeko is fucking insane. I mean, I thought Hanekawa was insane, but nope. Hanekawa was terrifying because she was focused, and the Cat and the Tiger were her Stress and Frustration, but the Snake is just plain Nadeko going apeshit insane.
I mean that final shot of her smiling and laughing in the rain was nuts. I suppose it is more fair to refer to her Snake as the Basilisk or the Medusa or the Gorgon, but you get the point. The point is the girl has a Snake that is telling her it's God, and she compares Araragi to something beyond her reach. I will spare you further Garden of Eden Allegory, because there's another thing I want to get at instead. Meanwhile, Nadeko is fucking nuts. Flips out on her teacher, delivers a much deserved verbal beatdown to her classmates, and spends a full episode discussing her ascension to Godhood with a SCRUNCHY. Girl is literally discussing Godhood and inadvertently waltzing through a veritable sermon on Snakes and Gods with a SCRUNCHY. Also she completely seems to have forgotten all kinds of key scenes over the past two or three days so there's that, too.

I think this arc is about getting over unrequited crushes. When you're a teenager that stuff stings and you realize that the other person isn't ignoring you because they don't like you, but because you never even gave them a choice. Nadeko idolized Araragi, but Tsuhiki's commentary is on the mark: Araragi was only an idol to Nadeko, and it was a convenient means of her escaping further pain or trouble by having her stupid secret crush. Nadeko's gone from seeing herself as a martyr for her love to bargaining about it "what's wrong with just loving him from afar?" to impotent, misaimed anger and now she's in the bitterness of self-loathing that precedes actually moving on from it. If I'm right, which I tend not to be, that means this will all end with Nadeko giving up on her own.

Senjougahara continues to be an uncharacter, though. She doesn't even appear in this episode. She's just a ray of light from the heavens and the thunderous voice of the Great Jehovah or Zeus or Odin staring down at Sengoku and blocking her path altogether. It was touched on in both the Hanekawa arc and this episode that the way the other girls don't think less of Senjougahara is just plain unnatural. It's also worth pointing out that every single person who knows Araragi and Senjougahara (minus Araragi's sisters) has tried to kill one or all of them. Hanekawa's Cat tried to off Araragi and her Tiger was planning on burning Senjougahara alive.
Nadeko intends to kill both of them
, and Kanbaru's Monkey tried to kill Araragi. I guess Mayoi didn't try, yet anyway. The point is one of these days one of these monsters is gonna get the jump on Hitagi and then stuff's going to go down, because I really don't think Senjougahara's pencils are sharp enough to pierce a tiger made of furious flame.

Long story short Nadeko is batshit insane and Senjougahara is the "Orcus on his Throne" of girlfriends.
hahaha I was WAITING for you to get to this episode, nadeko is now established as the yandere

Hanamaru Kindergarten 12 END

I don't know what compelled me to just finish it tonight, but here I am.

I still wish Hinagiku got more time, but I do love the fact that she's part of the mafia, much to her chagrin. Gotta feel sorry when it comes to the power of density.

This show is rather cute, and has moments of hilarity. It's a good show no doubt, so you can't really go wrong with spending your time on it if someone gives the show a recommendation.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Her constant "Koyomi oniiiiiiiichan"ing does not help.

I also see that you picked up the theme this season.
major characterization on the girls, araragi taking most of the backseat and alot of them coming to terms with either no longer loving koyomi or just gave up on loving him.
Get ready for the next arc, once again when you get to the end of this next arc, tell me so I can post the video.

CorvoSol

Nadeko is a miracle of this planet.

Like in Arjuna? Because the miracle in Arjuna was that pollution caused destruction by giant penises that you had to suck to survive.

I also see that you picked up the theme this season.
major characterization on the girls, araragi taking most of the backseat and alot of them coming to terms with either no longer loving koyomi or just gave up on loving him.
Get ready for the next arc, once again when you get to the end of this next arc, tell me so I can post the video.

I don't think though that
Hanekawa is entirely out of love with Araragi. I think she's just come to terms with having lost and being just friends. Plus her arc was more about accepting that the abuse her parents put her through wasn't her fault and becoming human.
But yes, I have noticed that a theme of the season is the death of
Araragi's harem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom