• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Are there any good anime musicals? No, not Valvrave. I'm listening to a bunch of Disney stuff and I was wondering if there was an equivalent for anime. Damn, Disney in the 90s was flawless.

There's Little Jumbo, a 30-min musical that blends cute drawings and quirky characters with ruthless war and starvation.

Branduil

Well you could argue that it's done from an artistic point of view to show that this is Hotarou's story, not his sister's. While she is a catalyst for some events, it's all about him and the group of others.

It makes me wonder if Hotoarou has a slight inferiority complex about his sister which has led him to his attitude of "don't do anything if you don't have to".
Slight? LOL

duckroll

Domain Name: souleaternot.tv
Created On: 2013-10-18 02:48:13.0
Expiration Date: 2014-10-18 02:48:13.0
Registrant Name: Osamu Mimura
Registrant Organization: KADOKAWA CORPORATION MFBC

Riiiiiiiiiip.

Branduil

Gingitsune 6

gingitsune6.jpg

best girl

What the heck is going on with her body?

duckroll

IB4vvph.jpg

OOOOOOO OOO!!
ソウルイーター NOT!!

OOのOOOO
棺姫のチャイカ

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip

Branduil

Upon re-watching this episode a little bit I noticed Chitanda grabs Mayaka's chest just before they go down the water-slide. Maybe Hyouka isn't as classy as people think it is. ;p.

It's not Hyouka that isn't classy, it's KyoAni. Hence that and the first ED. Gotta sell blurays.

cajunator

Banned
LOL those sneaky bastards! XD

I know right?

Hey man, sometimes you gotta be an asshole to get your point across.

Well thats true but Banri is acting like a douche.

I FEEL LIKE ITS TRYING TO TELL ME SOMETHING

BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT

This anime has everything. A magical girl, a mech, musings on sensible energy policy and the economic viability of nuclear power.

It has it all.

oh it gets better. Theres also a sequence that is undeniably gorgeous and soul stirring.

sonicmj1

I take it the original Soul Eater series was not good? Or is it just a case of poor source material?

Soul Eater has solid source material, and the anime is great until they run out of stuff and have to start improvising about 30 episodes in.

Anyway, this flood of glowing Yamato impressions has convinced me to make watching it a priority in the very near future.

Branduil

Hyouka 3

So that's the personal matter!

All Oreki is doing is showing just how powerful laziness can really be to solve a mystery, no matter how mundane it is. Ibara is obviously impressed with him, that's why she's even here. Meanwhile our Mr Database is just.... doing other things. I doubt he's actually important.

Soundtrack seems very fitting for this show, feels a bit relaxed to put it in a way. Dialogue feels like an improvement as well... probably because Mr. Database wasn't in this episode.

Hyouka's OST is greatness, both the use of classical music and the original themes.

Doki Doki Precure 39

BX47xWz.jpg
M6pHZRQ.jpg

They don't

Clearly, when it comes to an intellectual average, the Dokis are top tier, as this episode basically shows. Probably as a contrast to the Smile cast who are the bottom tier of intellect.
Of course Dokis aren't as fun either

Wanting to show off their new strength, Mana and Makoto actually try to beat each other up in their civilian forms, and go off to get another treasure and talk with Mana's primary waifu by styling and profiling.

Anyway, there's some hints flying about this whole thing
Two of them being
1) Aguri's nostalgic feeling for the Trump Kingdom
2) Precures couldn't grab the spear, but Regina could?

What could this mean!? HMMMMM

I'm going to assume that's when those final lame ass looking power ups will get involved. Hopefully this show can at least end as decent as it started...
lord knows if they'll go all the way with the whole Happy Prince analogy and have an actual kiss and someone dying, but I doubt the kiss will happen because PARENTS

Crocodile

A) This Space Yamato 2199 show is catching my interest. Is it available on any of the major legal streaming sites?

B) What is Soul Eater Not?

C) Soul Eater so far has been excellent so far but the manga material just ended on the Toonami run so we'll see if it indeed crashes and burns at the end.

D) I want Soul Eater Brotherhood!

cajunator

Banned
Are there any good anime musicals? No, not Valvrave. I'm listening to a bunch of Disney stuff and I was wondering if there was an equivalent for anime. Damn, Disney in the 90s was flawless.

funnily enough a coworker was humming disney songs just now. Kinda scary.

Firefly is pretty amazing, but that's closer to Cowboy Bebop than to Yamato if you had to choose a sci-fi style. Yamato is closer to Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek.

Firefly is exemplary entertainment. One of very few tv series I watched.

A) This Space Yamato 2199 show is catching my interest. Is it available on any of the major legal streaming sites?

C) Soul Eater so far has been excellent so far but the manga material just ended on the Toonami run so we'll see if it indeed crashes and burns at the end.

A) I don;t know, sorry.

B) Soul Eater Not is a spin-off manga, It's pretty good in my opinion.

C) I don't think the end is as bad as some people, but you can tell they went off on their own way.

D) Don't we all.

Gazoinks

Joining KaminaGAF with styyyle.

I'll probably switch back to Inari eventually though. :p Wish there was a transparency of the Kamina glasses from the side.

CorvoSol

It's killing me knowing that the last issue of Full Metal Panic Sigma is out and that there is zero word as to when I will be able to read it in English.

Only musical anime I know period are Nerima Daikon Brothers and Red Garden.

Wait, what!? Soul Eater Not is getting an anime!? Fuckin sweet! Not quite Soul Eater Brotherhood, but better than nothing.

Is there enough material to do an adaptation?

I have a reading report to do on an article about Toei Animation.
Huh

Time we remind them of Sailor Moon, Major pimping of Ojamajo Doremi, and maybe a column on Precure (Heartcatch gets some pimping tho).

There's some of the magical girl research topics for you.

Quasar

Gingitsune 6 - Looks like a slight crack in Saturos shell. Which is a good thing, and I guess his story will be substantial. Still really liking Hiwako.

Yamato has one episode dubbed up for streaming, but otherwise remains in an non sub licensed legal state.

Soul Eater Not is terrible hopefully its just some hidden agenda and they plan to re cover the source main series in full alongside not.

I wanted to see animated Gopher/Noah arc and epic Black Star ugh :(

Theonik

Dude, just use jpeg. There's effectively no difference in result, and you save a ton on filesize.
The size difference is friggin' tiny actually. 1.48MB for JPEG vs 2.11MB for PNG. And the former requires more work on my part.

Like I said in the chat, this isn't an art class. There's no need to worry about pristine image quality.
Compressing, scaling, or doing anything else to them requires more work on my part and probably more storage as I need to store originals in PNG for various reasons. (MPC JPEG encoder sucks, originals for shopping/gifs etc)

I guess I should switch to my Irisu avatar for real pic. January,haha.
Unless the new Sailor Moon really is airing, then it will be visor Minako.
Make a visor Irisu pic.

This is what I was referring to earlier. In one of your earlier episode comments you mentioned that it was kind of funny how Oreki kind of used or played everybody. Knowing his relationship to Chintanda and his sister and now Irisu in this arc, that remark just got a chuckle out of me knowing what was about to happen in the story.
Well it was clear from the start that besides Oreki using people Oreki is manipulated by pretty much every female character he interacts with, but Irisu got him good.

Upon re-watching this episode a little bit I noticed Chitanda grabs Mayaka's chest just before they go down the water-slide. Maybe Hyouka isn't as classy as people think it is. ;p.
There is also a scene of Oreki Staring at Chitanda's breasts. (or several of them infact)

Revolutionary Girl Utena is a great anime Musical.

I take it the original Soul Eater series was not good? Or is it just a case of poor source material?
First half was good. Ending was botched. Manga had not finished at that point.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighters Episode 6:

So this is what toyetic plastic model duels look like when they have the animation budget to buy Belgium with, so very pretty. Indeed, after a storyline delay because shockingly, and I mean that, the entire world does not revolve around Gunpla. They even play the Heart of the Cards trope rather sensibly, mentioning that it is a silly hobby with nothing as serious as lives being on the line and people can walk away from this. WHAT MADNESS IS THIS???? Anyway, looks like next week's episode is going to be one that is going to receive a lot of commentary because I think every anime ever is required to have one of these kinds of episodes.

Hi AnimeGaf.

I've been showing some anime to some friends and they seem to like the comedy parts of the relationships between Yuichi and Ayu + Yuichi and Makoto in Kanon 2006, Tomoya and Fuko in Clannad and Kyosuke and Kirino in Oreimo. Any other similar stuff I can show them without too much fanservice and where the main guy doesn't nosebleed all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom