• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
No lolis ?
Not sure about that

Mage teacher is a loli , so is the new "maid"
But you're right on that aspect strike the blood is much better than index so far ( but index has much more intresting "ladies" later.

Well at least as of right now the lolis aren't interested in the main character and I kind of hope it stays like that.

Yuusha Ni Narkakanenasdsdsd 06

This show REALLY wants to be a hentai doesn't it? We're halfway in, the comedy is bad, the harem is lazy as there has been no development, and the failed-to-be-a-hero aspect of the show is obviously only being used as background for these characters as it seems the show will be going a different direction. I've come this far so I'll keep going a bit more but it is very close to being dropped.

cnet128

Banned
Hi AnimeGaf.

I've been showing some anime to some friends and they seem to like the comedy parts of the relationships between Yuichi and Ayu + Yuichi and Makoto in Kanon 2006, Tomoya and Fuko in Clannad and Kyosuke and Kirino in Oreimo. Any other similar stuff I can show them without too much fanservice and where the main guy doesn't nosebleed all the time?

Bakemonog— oh, you said not too much fanservice.

Well, that's no fun.

Go be boring and watch Chuuni or something then idk.

Yozakura Quarter 06

Near flawless adaptation of the manga, with a bit more fan service, with the action obviously being way better here. I loved this episode in terms of how amazing the scenes were, and this isn't even my favorite story arc.

Soma

Yozakura Quartet Episode 06

Hooooooooooooollllyyyyyyyyyyyy shit that was awesome.

And there's still more to this arc?
iiahifxFp7rwj.png

CorvoSol

Bakemonog— oh, you said not too much fanservice.

Well, that's no fun.

Go be boring and watch Chuuni or something then idk.

I've actually been thinking about watching this ----monogatari series. Not right away, but thinking about it. Is it any good?
Fanservice isn't as much a problem to me.

Shirokuma Cafe 42

So the first half was typical Shirokuma Cafe comedy which is always funny.

The second part really hit the note though. Like always the flashback episodes of Shirokuma Cafe where we get to see the lives of Shirokuma and Grizzly are among the best of the series. This one was especially touching since it touches on Grizzly's first crush.

QP5EG6U.jpg

Grizzly as always is flawless, not only in comedic delivery but also in having the best past. Basically the bad boy with a heart of gold. When we first get to see Tsukiko I kind of laughed as we haven't been introduced yet to any female young bears in the show so when this appeared

ni2OEJE.jpg

I chuckled at the sight of a bear in a high school girl uniform with a very female/high pitched voice. Fantastic episode. Hopefully they have one more flashback episode in the 8 or so eps. I have left but they probably won't.

Hyouka 8

2 new female characters appear (actually 3, but I don't think one of them will matter in the long run).

I'm assuming this will play for the next two episodes, figuring out the movie's culprit and whatnot. The student film is quite crude, but I'm not even sure if that's right. Just.... lackluster everywhere, from technical aspects to even their passion. They might bore the school with that kind of footage...

Cwarrior

IB4vvph.jpg

OOOOOOO OOO!!
ソウルイーター NOT!!

OOのOOOO
棺姫のチャイカ

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip

Wrong soul eater, soul eater brotherhood is the soul eater we deserve.

I expect nothing less from Kouhei Tanaka composer of one piece, his been delivering op fans greatness for the last 14 years.

cnet128

Banned
I've actually been thinking about watching this ----monogatari series. Not right away, but thinking about it. Is it any good?
Fanservice isn't as much a problem to me.

It's probably one of my favourite series. I can't say for sure how much of it will be your thing, but you'll certainly find something to enjoy in it at the very least. (And quite possibly a fair amount to rant about, but that's all part of the fun =p) The first installment, Bakemonogatari, seems to be the most widely appreciated, but I'd say all of the follow-up series are worth your time too. Certain arcs in the latest series have been exceptionally satisfying. And the banter between the characters is godly throughout.

Speaking of series that are among my all-time favourites, have you ever seen Higurashi? I ask mainly because it's an incredibly impression-worthy anime that you would probably have fun writing about if you haven't already experienced it.

Jex

[Yozakura Quarter Pounder] - 6

Hey guys I think they've made a mistake here. It looks like they've got OVA's airing instead of a TV show.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
SaiKano 7

Poor little couple, struggling against the world and themselves. It's interesting how there are all these little character side-stories that run parallel to the story of Shuuji and Chise without one or both of them directly involved in those stories. Stories grow in and fall away around them.

Metalocalypse: The Doomstar Requiem (A Klok Opera)

Okay, not anime, but this shit was fun. Aside from some really out-of-place numbers and some wonky animation here and there (even for the series, which is already only a step above basic flash animation), this ride is a one hell of a party. Deftly balanced between the standard Metalocalypse comedy and pure, epic badass. Sick guitar solos, juvenile but amusing humor, and an absolutely epic end.

Voice-wise, Brandon Small works overtime here, voicing pretty much the entire cast and does so pretty well, aside from a few characters that seem to share too similar singing voices. His voices for Ishnifus, Charles, and Mangus are stellar. Mike Keneally (solo artist and collaborator with Joe Satriani and Frank Zappa) does a great job taking over for Small as Toki. Jack Black shows up for a small role and does a pretty great job. Raya Yarbrough does a surprisingly powerful job as Abigail. But, I feel the best guest spot here has to go to George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher (of Cannibal Corpse, Paths of Possession, & Monstrosity) as the Metal Masked Assassin; absolutely amazing vocals from one of the greats of death metal.

cnet128

Banned
Gingitsune 6

I somewhat agree with comments I've seen earlier in the thread that Satoru is probably the most boring character in this show and needs to stop stealing all the focus. He's not grating on me too much yet, because there is a certain charm to watching him slowly learn to open up to everyone, but I do think the show should probably move on to something less Satoru-centric soon.

At least this episode did give Makoto's friends a decent amount of screentime, which is the main thing I've been hoping for. Yumi is the best character in this show that isn't called Makoto, and having the three of them together just livens things up a lot.

Also lol Haru you so tsundere. Also fluffy. brb giving Haru hugs.

CorvoSol

Bakemonogatari is pretty good, except for one arc. The rest of the series, not so much.

I'll put it on my backlog, then.

it's pretty good , if you don't mind paying attention and plenty of dialog.

Nooo, paying attention is hard!

It's probably one of my favourite series. I can't say for sure how much of it will be your thing, but you'll certainly find something to enjoy in it at the very least. (And quite possibly a fair amount to rant about, but that's all part of the fun =p) The first installment, Bakemonogatari, seems to be the most widely appreciated, but I'd say all of the follow-up series are worth your time too. Certain arcs in the latest series have been exceptionally satisfying. And the banter between the characters is godly throughout.

Speaking of series that are among my all-time favourites, have you ever seen Higurashi? I ask mainly because it's an incredibly impression-worthy anime that you would probably have fun writing about if you haven't already experienced it.

I have not seen Higurashi, so I'll add that. Does the monogatari series follow an order, or can you watch them in any order?

Andrew J.

Yamato 2199 04

Sci-fi anime often includes high-ranking military commanders so stupid, arrogant, and abrasive you wonder how they ever got their jobs. I was hoping this series would avoid that, or at least do it a bit more subtly.

That bit where the turbulence throws everyone off but Sanada remains standing ramrod-straight was pretty good.

It's awfully convenient that the source of the distress signal also has this resource the ship needs.

It's now becoming inescapably apparent just how much tighter the female uniforms are.

I hope Akira's inevitably becoming a pilot isn't belabored too much longer.

Haradas facevault was a very anime thing of the type I haven't actually seen too much of so far.

Those laser tanks look pretty sweet.

Oh look,
Akira's a pilot already! That happened faster than I'd expected. I'm not even mad about the hijacking cliche.

The Yukikaze only had 24 crew members? I suppose these spaceships must be highly automated to be so lightly crewed.

Reknoc

Gundam Build Fighters 6

yo, what did that kid do to such a majestic mobile suit? does he think this is some gimmick dark souls run? And that name, should have just disqualified him for that, and then banned him from any future tournaments until he sorted his shit out.

Jex

Yamato 2199 04

Sci-fi anime often includes high-ranking military commanders so stupid, arrogant, and abrasive you wonder how they ever got their jobs. I was hoping this series would avoid that, or at least do it a bit more subtly.
That's not just a sci-fi anime cliche though, it exists throughout the medium and, to be fair, it's partly based on truth. Any system of government that favours lineage to actual accomplishment had a habit of turning out incompetent leaders.

Jarmel

Banned
Yozakura-6
Yea the ending was really visually stunning although the episode as a whole was pretty good. That final attack was on a whole 'nother level. I still have an issue with the fanservice though.

Katte Ni Kaizou [series]

Over-all, very enjoyable and short series. This would have probably been a very good way to introduce people into the type of humor of the mangaka of Zetsubou Sensei. In fact, the bald glasses guy, who I assume is one of the animators in Shaft, also makes an appearance here. And the character of Umi is practically the archetype of the perfectly even hair psycho girl of Zetsubou Sensei. Some of the voices I recognized as well from the show,

So yeah, if you ever are considering watching Zetsubou Sensei, which has like 40+ episodes, watch this 6 episode show and see if the humor interests you first. SZS is more social commentary but the similarities are too great.

Yozakura-6

Yea the ending was really visually stunning although the episode as a whole was pretty good. That final attack was on a whole 'nother level. I still have an issue with the fanservice though.

Honestly I don't remember much if any fan service in the manga. They turned it up quite a bit for this. I assume it's for a broader appeal.

Hyouka 9-10

A continuation, but we get theory time from 3 different perspectives, much like the Hyouka case, but with a drunk Chitendo. Damn, she ate all those whiskey chocolates like a champ... actually, why give them to her in the first place? But that isn't important.

I think with Haba in episode 10, he was clearly upset, and you'd probably think it was because he was outdone, but
I think the real reason is because his rope wasn't even considered, which provides a fatal flaw to Oreki's explanation. Probably explains what Chitendo was going to say before she changed her mind.

Seems to be key in these major arcs is that there's someone involved who might make Oreki re-consider his outlook on his life. His sister being one, Chitendo being another (because we need a curious bug), and Irisu here.

Erigu

How can Monogatari have a 2nd season when none of the shows are called Monogatari?
"Monogatari Series" is how the overall series is called.

Monogatari Series First Season:
* Bakemonogatari
* Kizumonogatari
* Nisemonogatari
* Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Monogatari Series Second Season:
* Nekomonogatari (Shiro)
* Kabukimonogatari
* Hanamonogatari
* Otorimonogatari
* Onimonogatari
* Koimonogatari

Monogatari Series Final Season:
* Tsukimonogatari
* Koyomimonogatari
* Owarimonogatari
* Zoku-Owarimonogatari

cnet128

Banned
How can Monogatari have a 2nd season when none of the shows are called Monogatari?

The "Second Season" term is taken directly from the original novel series, which is referred to as the "Monogatari series" as a whole. Breaking down the series by the original novels, it looks like this:

--FIRST SEASON--

Covered in the first anime series (1 cour + 3 extra episodes):
Bakemonogatari (Part 1)
Bakemonogatari (Part 2)

Prequel novel to be covered in a movie which keeps getting delayed to everyone's irritation:
Kizumonogatari

Covered in the second anime series (1 cour):
Nisemonogatari (Part 1)
Nisemonogatari (Part 2)

Covered in a four-episode special:
Nekomonogatari (Black)

--SECOND SEASON--

Covered in the latest series (2-cour):
Nekomonogatari (White)
Kabukimonogatari
Hanamonogatari (to be adapted separately early next year)
Otorimonogatari
Onimonogatari
Koimonogatari

--FINAL SEASON--

Yet to be covered in any anime form:
Tsukimonogatari
Koyomimonogatari
Owarimonogatari (Part 1)
Owarimonogatari (Part 2) (To be published within this year)
Zoku Owarimonogatari (Planned to be the conclusion to the series as a whole)

Andrew J.

Yamato 2199 05

Gamilans sure aren't subtle about their racism, are they?

Either lockers are really flimsy in the future or Kato is really strong.

Please don't let there be a love triangle.

Kato's objections got shut down pretty fast. Hope he doesn't continue making a fuss over Akira.

That fighter launching sequence is proof that even CG mechanical animation can be really impressive.

A cliffhanger ending at last. The past two episodes were very deliberately placed, with a problem introduced and then resolved by the end, so it was nice to get something with more time to play out.

Yozakura-6

More like, this is the director's personal preference. (Not that it bothers me much.) Fanservice and "broader appeal" don't really go together.

Maybe there's no direct causation, but I tend to see a correlation on the most watched anime shows of the season and the fanservice amount. Obviously I'm talking out of my ass right now as I have no real numbers to back it up, I'd love to see a research done though. Why search for a cure for deadly diseases or the meaning of life when we can learn if the amount of pantsu equals more views.

Hyouka 11

And our conclusion to the arc before we get to the Festival and 11.5.

Perspective is a bitch man, practically everyone in the Classics Club chewed him out for his ending.

There's something to how Oreki being strung along by women that works well in this instance, mainly in how angry he was when he came to the real truth behind the project. There was also some lighting after Oreki's rant where Irisu was in the light, but Oreki was covered in the shadow. Probably to show that what Irisu really wanted has come to light, with Oreki covered in the shadow of doubt. Maybe not the right way to put it, but I can state that I'm not exactly having the metaphor spelled out to me in the show, which allows me to have some fun dissecting it.

That chat room though. I think there were obviously two people that Irisu was chatting to. The first one looks to be Hongou, the second one being SENPAI.... based on the other side of the world comments, I can't help but try to pin this person to be Oreki's sister.

Will say that there has been an increase of quality dialogue, and character interactions, and how this particular arc ended was rather interesting.

cnet128

Banned
Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai 6

Raishin, was it really a good idea to carry out a lengthy conversation while hanging motionless on a ladder with people shooting guns up the shaft straight at you? Did you not notice the fact that there was a bullet practically grazing your face almost once per second? By all rights you should be dead.

Then in your first proper tournament match you come up with the bright idea of
shielding Yaya from the full force of a massive magical sword slash with your own body
. I'm pretty sure this is not a valid strategy by any stretch of the imagination. And this is in the same episode that a doctor pointed out that you heal more slowly than a normal human. YOU FAIL AT SELF-PRESERVATION FOREVER.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 8

2 new female characters appear (actually 3, but I don't think one of them will matter in the long run).

I'm assuming this will play for the next two episodes, figuring out the movie's culprit and whatnot. The student film is quite crude, but I'm not even sure if that's right. Just.... lackluster everywhere, from technical aspects to even their passion. They might bore the school with that kind of footage...

Hyouka 9-10

A continuation, but we get theory time from 3 different perspectives, much like the Hyouka case, but with a drunk Chitendo. Damn, she ate all those whiskey chocolates like a champ... actually, why give them to her in the first place? But that isn't important.

I think with Haba in episode 10, he was clearly upset, and you'd probably think it was because he was outdone, but
I think the real reason is because his rope wasn't even considered, which provides a fatal flaw to Oreki's explanation. Probably explains what Chitendo was going to say before she changed her mind.

Seems to be key in these major arcs is that there's someone involved who might make Oreki re-consider his outlook on his life. His sister being one, Chitendo being another (because we need a curious bug), and Irisu here.

Now youre almost past the dull part. From here its mostly much better when the Festival Arc starts. Misaki is in it more too which is perhaps not coincidental.

SaiKano 7

Poor little couple, struggling against the world and themselves. It's interesting how there are all these little character side-stories that run parallel to the story of Shuuji and Chise without one or both of them directly involved in those stories. Stories grow in and fall away around them.

Saikano is pretty rough on characters. That might be an understatement. I stil cant believe I marathoned it. You root for things to turn out alright and they just get worse and worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom