• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
About a week ago I watching Patlabor movie no. 2, after finished its left me polarized whether to think its a good movie or not, after awhile and reviewing my thought I think I come to conclusion that I don't think its a good movie.

Like your usual serious Oshii's movie, the story is tied heavily to thought provoking philosophy discussion.. This time topic is about the modern people culture that too busy dwelling around "peace" while ignoring unjust situation in everywhere.. the villain in this movie organizing event that gonna shake this foundation of belief, that he think can making big collapse anytime.

The dialogue in this movie is very good, and those philosophy talk does very engrossing and fascinating. So what's the problem?

For a movie that telling story where "terrorism" act shaking the whole country, military taking over country security, shit even foreign relationship heaten up .. Its absolutely give no effort to give portrayal of public panic, confusion, and other else.. the philosophy talk just keep going without the film showing the impact of that event the conservation mention. Instead the movie made my mind provoked the end I feel its just empty social commentary, because I'm not seeing the result of said event.

Movie also ignoring the fact the series have giant cast, instead making use of those character the movie just showing 4-5 character back and forth chatting about that philosophy almamater .. I don't get it, why not use those character to proving those philosophy point? Such like they living in "ignorant peace" and the impact that they got due to the mess instead just leaving it in chat bubble.

The movie also have pacing issue, in last 15 minute its like someone just remember that they got to had police mech action somewhere.

Maybe the movie could work better as a book (Well if they not fixing some problem, I wouldn't call it a good book either though) or the case is in much smaller scope, like president assassination plan maybe? Something that worked better as excuse to have story that basically about investigator working with intel, instead pretending the movie gonna cover bigger ground than that.

In a lot of ways, the movie feels like a warmup for GitS. It definitely doesn't feel Patlabor related to an extent, unlike the first one. I thought it was clear that Oshii was getting tired of the franchise or had at least outgrown it. It's a very quiet film on a lot of levels.

Edit: Just living in the database.

fertygo

In a lot of ways, the movie feels like a warmup for GitS. It definitely doesn't feel Patlabor related to an extent, unlike the first one. I thought it was clear that Oshii was getting tired of the franchise or had at least outgrown it. It's a very quiet film on a lot of levels.

Yeah I like the first movie a lot more, there's thought provoking message too.. but its delivered in much more subtle way, and its does showing how the case impacting the town and the character, its look like clever and smart police investigation story.

Jarmel

Banned
Getter Robo Armageddon- fin
ib1CEY104nXZkB.jpg
This was a fucking mess. There is some decent execution in here and good directing but the clusterfuck that is the script, is a blackhole that crushes everything. There are so many dangling in the wind plot threads and even retcons, that it just feels like I'm watching something while high. While I understand the production issues and how Imagawa pretty much fucked over the production staff, I still can't excuse the series for the faults. The direction in the first three episodes, for the most part, are topnotch on a visual level.
The story is pretty wtfish in the beginning but it does seem somewhat controlled, in that I expected answers down the road. This feeling goes away, as the later episodes feel like they're just burning episode counts and some of the plotlines get resolved in this band aid sort of way. I also felt some of the scenes at the very end weren't really deserved and just kinda felt tacked on such as the romance(?) angle between Kei and Go. I mean they do keep a somewhat consistent tone although the later episodes do feel like they lost their edge. I will compliment the animation and art direction level though as it's pretty much fantastic throughout the show. I thought episode 11 was the peak of the show. While the tone was different from previous episodes, it was mainly a fun episode in isolation. The finale was pretty disappointing in a lot of ways and the ending bit didn't move me in any way.
In short, this was extremely good visually but it's a disaster in pretty much all other regards. I wish I could like this more but the narrative is just too broken for there to be anything really riveting out of it.

P.S. This is for Corvo:

Fate/Zero 25

Satisfying end, but seriously fuck Shirou: just knowing how incompetent this fucker will be when he grows up makes me feel really sorry for Kiritsugu.
Nude Gilgamesh in that pose made me laugh out loud.

Good episode, will think on this overnight and post a series review soon.

fertygo

Fate/Zero 25

Satisfying end, but seriously fuck Shirou: just knowing how incompetent this fucker will be when he grows up makes me feel really sorry for Kiritsugu.
Nude Gilgamesh in that pose made me laugh out loud.

Good episode, will think on this overnight and post a series review soon.

Try to watch Einzbern Room OVA if possible, its give you some explanation for the main show and fantastic show for its own too.. Personally I think the last eps of the OVA is better than the series ending episode.

fertygo

Oh a scale of 1 to 10, how excited are you for the Ufotable remake of Fate/Stay Night next year?

5 if they announcing only for fate route

8 if they announce omnibus format

Over 9000 for Tiger Dojo blu-ray bonus eps, AOTY secured right there folks.. If they making it.

EDIT: Bleh DP

Try to watch Einzbern Room OVA if possible, its give you some explanation for the main show and fantastic show for its own too.. Personally I think the last eps of the OVA is better than the series ending episode.

There were pretty good exposition/comedy specials, but I'm not sure how you hold them higher than the actual series.

Oh a scale of 1 to 10, how excited are you for the Ufotable remake of Fate/Stay Night next year?

I would say 7.5 after watching Fate/Zero. While I haven't touched the anime I've played the VN (completed 2 out of 3 of the possible routes). It's alright and seeing Rin again would be cool. But fucking Shirou... I really hope it will be a heavy remake/revamp letting Ufotable have total creative reign.

fertygo

There were pretty good exposition/comedy specials, but I'm not sure how you hold them higher than the actual series.

I love that last episode of OVA give more characterization to Iri after what Emiya betray her in the grail la-la land, I thought its pretty well done and add a lot, also surprised for the set that only have purpose to give giggle here and there, they can pull emotional eps like that. I can understand if people think is very silly and overdone though lol, maybe its just me.

Theonik

Bad '90s character design certainly is instantly recognizable.

Dat terrible hair.
It's a little known fact that anime characters took frequent baths in motor oil in the 90s which explains a lot of other things.

I do now!

I wasn't aware she was numbered among your passions.
How you cannot have noticed his love of Miyakichi is beyond me frankly!

Baoh was crazy and I see why it fits. Heck, I'll even give Black Lion since aliens and feudal Japan. But AD Police, Angel Cop and Cyber City Oedo 808 are all really similar and not in a good way. It is possible I'm not a fan of this genre, I guess, but I dunno, mostly these just seem sucky and boring, and their bad English dubs are not on the level of Garzey's Wing or even really near. A part of it could also be watching them all so near to one another, but I dunno. Mostly those three shows just suck really bad.

What should I expect from Dark Cat?
Your problem is that you expect the list to be a single thing. In reality the list contains many different things that are appreciated for different reasons. Some people LOVE those campy dubbed OVAs which is why there are several of them in there. You are not intended to watch the list in alphabetical order. It's more of a "I really liked x, oh look there is more of x awesome!"

A dub doesn't have to be Garzey's level to be worthwhile. A ton of lines in Baoh are funny and Black Lion is full of silly stuff that brings a laugh, like, "You got 'im! ShishimaRUUUUUUUUUUU!"
"NINJA! NINJA! NINJA! NINJA MUST DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!

So that Project 575 from Sega that already has a Vita game and iOS "game" is getting an anime component as well with GO!GO!575, coming in January.

http://moca-news.net/article/20131115/201311151500a/01/
http://gogo575.sega.jp/
Will watch.

Twitter dies once every two years when Laputa is shown on TV in Japan.
Barasu.

So that Project 575 from Sega that already has a Vita game and iOS "game" is getting an anime component as well with GO!GO!575, coming in January.

http://moca-news.net/article/20131115/201311151500a/01/
http://gogo575.sega.jp/

Those are cute designs. I like.

About a week ago I watching Patlabor movie no. 2, after finished its left me polarized whether to think its a good movie or not, after awhile and reviewing my thought I think I come to conclusion that I don't think its a good movie.

For a movie that telling story where "terrorism" act shaking the whole country, military taking over country security, shit even foreign relationship heaten up .. Its absolutely give no effort to give portrayal of public panic, confusion, and other else.. the philosophy talk just keep going without the film showing the impact of that event the conservation mention. Instead the movie made my mind provoked the end I feel its just empty social commentary, because I'm not seeing the result of said event.

I disagree; I think the film did a good job of portraying a confused society gradually descending into martial law without fully realizing it. Sure, it doesn't feature screaming people and mass panic and disorder like films with a similar political situation tend to do - but would that necessarily happen, especially in a nation like Japan that traditionally puts a high value on authority? I don't think so. Actually, I'm reminded a bit of the aftermath of the Boston bombing here in the US, when the news cameras captured an eerily quiet city which ordinary citizens had given over to the police as they searched for the bombers. Oshii's portrayal isn't as far-fetched as you might think.

Movie also ignoring the fact the series have giant cast, instead making use of those character the movie just showing 4-5 character back and forth chatting about that philosophy almamater .. I don't get it, why not use those character to proving those philosophy point? Such like they living in "ignorant peace" and the impact that they got due to the mess instead just leaving it in chat bubble.

Oshii said on the subject that he had difficulty relating to the younger members of the Patlabor team, but instead sympathized with Goto the most. Hence why the former were sidelined while Goto got the spotlight. I don't mind, since Goto is a fascinating character, and never more so in this movie where he fully shows the part of him that lurks beneath his lackadaisical exterior.

I mean, I can see why people would dislike Patlabor 2, since it's so different from the rest of the franchise and so non-traditional in its construction, but it made a more powerful impression on me than any other Patlabor thing. Especially with Kenji Kawai's excellent score.

sonicmj1

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 3

Alright, this is what I wanted when I started watching the series. Exploring new technology, landing on new worlds, waiting five minutes for repairs to finish, blowing the shit out of stuff with future lazer guns. Just a straight-up sci-fi space adventure. It's glorious.

All I want is more. They just need to keep riding this groove and it'll be one of the best anime I've seen this year.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dracula: Emperor of Darkness

Some Toei people got high while writing a Dracula script, then they brought in Jack Chick to translate it.

First half is kind of a slog, but it's great when it finally goes full tilt.

duckroll

Some Toei people got high while writing a Dracula script, then they brought in Jack Chick to translate it.

You can't just leave us hanging like this. We need to know more!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You can't just leave us hanging like this. We need to know more!
I'd have to check more than the ending narration to be sure, but the English dub seemed to harp a lot more on coming to Jesus than the Japanese script and the overall writing quality in the English dub is about Chick tract level throughout.

Samurai Flamenco 5

I appreciate the Director being portrayed in a sympathetic light here. At first I thought they were going the meeting-somebody-you-admire-and-them-being-a-twat route, but his last comments were quite genuine and sobering.

Lol at the post credits scene. Flamenco Girl has issues possibly worthy of a clinical diagnosis, not that the others in the show aren't insane to some degree. I wasn't sure of the direction the show was taking in episode 4, but it continues to be entertaining so I'm not worried.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Golden Time 7

Wooooooooooooow. This show.

Please tell me someone gif'd
"MY BOYFRIEND"
. Because holy shit, :lol.

Also,
the whole thing between Kaga and Tada right now reminds me so much of relationships I had in high school. Shit's going too "good" for them, for how fast they jumped into a relationship. So obviously things are going to go VERY bad, probably sooner rather than later. Here comes the drama train, folks! Also 2D-kun is great. :lol And Mitsuo is fulfilling his role as the Kitamura of the series, what with the "I hated myself so BLONDE HAIR" thing.

Really loving this show, and really seeing the potential in it to get even more heart-wrenching than Toradora was.

fertygo

I disagree; I think the film did a good job of portraying a confused society gradually descending into martial law without fully realizing it. Sure, it doesn't feature screaming people and mass panic and disorder like films with a similar political situation tend to do - but would that necessarily happen, especially in a nation like Japan that traditionally puts a high value on authority? I don't think so. Actually, I'm reminded a bit of the aftermath of the Boston bombing here in the US, when the news cameras captured an eerily quiet city which ordinary citizens had given over to the police as they searched for the bombers. Oshii's portrayal isn't as far-fetched as you might think.
I respectfully disagree too, I don't seek people screaming, riot on everywhere etc.. I'm experiencing similar experience in my country too. There's too little focus that they give for creating disgruntling atmosphere.. Simple scene like worried Ramen shop owner watching TV could work.

My favorite scene in the movie is the scene where the airforce chasing the "terrorist" jet, its so intense because there's big stake in there, and its ended up fatal for them (I already forgot the exact scenario, sorry lol).. and the officer sweating because its gonna big for their politic. That scene basically perfect to portray how the villain plan is working, and gonna leave impact for the country politic's belief.. like he want.

I want similar scene for the civilian because that's the bullet point for the movie, the act that gonna shake the politic and civilian beliefs about their "peace"

I think the movie never really does that beside in that one scene despite keep mentioning that philosophy point.

Oshii said on the subject that he had difficulty relating to the younger members of the Patlabor team, but instead sympathized with Goto the most. Hence why the former were sidelined while Goto got the spotlight. I don't mind, since Goto is a fascinating character, and never more so in this movie where he fully shows the part of him that lurks beneath his lackadaisical exterior.

I mean, I can see why people would dislike Patlabor 2, since it's so different from the rest of the franchise and so non-traditional in its construction, but it made a more powerful impression on me than any other Patlabor thing. Especially with Kenji Kawai's excellent score.
That's rather odd answer, wouldn't give the younger crew focus would give more chance to proving people are ignorant with their "peace" point?

I love Goto and whathername female officer too, so I don't mind both dominating the screentime.. I just feel give some scene to them could softening the hard-handed message so its could be more effective, instead just focusing to two people chatting and watching the sea. Its making think awkward when the entire team gather to conquer the final boss.. kinda make me wish the movie don't have mecha police action at all.

Oh and last, I actually didn't like the 'normal' episode of patlabor at all with light heart atmosphere and all. I think I only like eps5-6 from OVA1.. That's why I thinking twice to watch OVA set number 2 and the TV series or not.

DiGiKerot

So is anyone still watching Galli Donna?

Sporadically, though I admit, it's mostly just as background noise whilst I do physio-mandated exercises. Not seen this weeks, though, because I jumped on the Yamato bandwagon and, man, that show is good.

I want similar scene for the civilian because that's the bullet point for the movie, the act that gonna shake the politic and civilian beliefs about their "peace"

I think the movie never really does that beside in that one scene despite keep mentioning that philosophy point.

That's what all the cityscapes in Patlabor 2 are devoted to though - the intrusion of martial law into the lives of the ordinary citizens. People trying to go about their daily business with the ever watchful eyes of the military on their street corners. A city that's sunk into rule by force before it realized it. I think what you might be feeling though is Oshii's greater interest in the city as a collective entity and concept than on individual people. While he selects his visual images to reinforce the concepts he wants to explore, he's not much interested in examining the effects of those concepts on a particular individual singled out from the crowd. That does make the film more difficult to relate to unless you can manage to get on Oshii's wavelength.

That's rather odd answer, wouldn't give the younger crew focus would give more chance to proving people are ignorant with their "peace" point?

Oshii has talked about how he was working with the idea of "What kind of philosophy should the main character have?", but didn't really understand what would motivate people of Noa and Asuma's age. Even with Patlabor 1 he wanted to make a movie totally focused around Goto and Matsui, but felt constrained by the nature of the franchise to make the story be about Noa and Asuma somehow. Goto was worlds easier for Oshii to get into than any of the younger Patlabor characters, which is why when he decided to really go for his own ideas he focused so heavily on him and sidelined the others.

I love Goto and whathername female officer too, so I don't mind both dominating the screentime.. I just feel give some scene to them could softening the hard-handed message so its could be more effective, instead just focusing to two people chatting and watching the sea. Its making think awkward when the entire team gather to conquer the final boss.. kinda make me wish the movie don't have mecha police action at all.

The action scene, on the other hand, I think is still a concession to the requirements of the franchise - it'd be difficult to justify a "Patlabor" film without any Patlabor action whatsoever. Hence its slightly awkward feeling. Nevertheless I think it mostly works as the denouement of the narrative, since the building tension had to be released in some fashion, and the greater focus on atmosphere than typical action helps keep in it line with the rest of the film. You can also see it as Goto/Oshii's hope that there would be a part of the younger generation who would take up his ideals and fight for them into the future - at that time Oshii hadn't totally succumbed to the pessimism that seems to have increasingly consumed him as he's grown older.

Oh and last, I actually didn't like the 'normal' episode of patlabor at all with light heart atmosphere and all. I think I only like eps5-6 from OVA1.. That's why I thinking twice to watch OVA set number 2 and the TV series or not.

The TV series is pretty different from even the light-hearted episodes of the first OVA series - much more focused on individual characters, Noa in particular but other members of the team as well to greater or lesser extents, and much more straightforward in presentation. You should give it a try, since I think it'll be more what you want out of the franchise.

Also, the Griffin plotline in the TV series gets quite grim and is well-executed, with some great mecha design and action.

Narag

It's actually a pretty straightforward adaptation of the 70s Tomb of Dracula comic! Just a bad one. Equivalent of a super condensed manga adaptation.

Looking back at an old post of mine, it's like 70 issues condensed into 2 hours lol

If you've got some problem with what I do here on NeoGAF, you can just tell me, you know. I post news as it comes up if I'm interested in it and no one's mentioned it in the thread yet, that's all. I'm continuously working on not adding any extraneous information or misleading details or side comments, and trying to cause less drama.

We may have different ethics, but I think youre an extremely great guy, please dont feel bad.

Syrinx

Ouran High School Host Club 21

At first I didn't get where Kaoru was going with that whole thing with the pumpkin and the carriage. But then the end came where he talked about Hikaru's affection toward Haruhi turning into love, and how that's going to change everything between the group. And he's very scared of a future where Hikaru may have moved on from being the twin brother whom he shares this little world they're in with. Though happy that he's growing, he doesn't know what he'll do when Hikaru isn't always by his side anymore.

Can't say I don't sympathize with him. There's a real chance that my own brother will leave at some point, probably for a job, and I will be happy for him when that happens, but I dont know what I'm going to do with myself when he isn't there anymore.

One Piece Episode 620 – A Critical Situation! Punk Hazard Explodes!
tumblr_mw22wdCfUq1rm5b29o1_500.gif

Best moment of this overly drawn out episode (did we really need to hear Monet breathing for all those seconds?). Unfortunately unlike Traffy's voice which was incredible, Donflamingo sounds nothing like I expected (well its been years since I even remember hearing him in Marineford). I thought he'd sound more jovial.

Valvrave the Liberator - 4

Well, that escalated quickly!

I thought that these ARUS people would turn out to be not exactly the nicest fellows, but I didn't think it would be this soon! Introduced as nice guys in one episode, next episode they're firing on innocents! Oh, and now we've got a bunch of high-school kids creating their own country. How beautiful. Can't wait for it to inevitably fall apart, cause that's what usually happens in these kinds of situations in shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom