• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Macross- 1

So unlike Corvo, I've seen a couple of Macross related stuff already such as Macross Frontier and Macross Plus. I'm mainly watching this as I'm pretty much done with Gundam and this is the other major mech related franchise. Also that gif that Jexhius was talking about earlier convinced me to watch this.

Anyway pretty standard opening on a lot of levels. I did laugh my head off at how the hotshot pilot got put in his place so quickly. He was so cocky at the beginning of the episode and near the end realized he wasn't shit.

Couple of things I really liked though so far is the fact that there is a black woman on the show and that she's in an interracial relationship. I literally can't remember the last time this happened in an anime, especially one from this period. In fact, there seems to be some racial diversity as a whole which is refreshing. I also liked the amount of casualties already. Granted it's a bunch of redshirts and offscreen deaths, but the show does a good job displaying that this is an actual fight.

So far I'm liking the characters as well. Sure as shit beats Gundam.

So I'm watching Gundam at the same time and I'm not sure if I agree with your last statement here. A lot of what you said reflects my initial reactions, right down to having a black woman on the bridge in an interracial relationship.

But that it is leaps and bounds better than MSG I dunno. Getter, yeah, but I'm really fond of the original MSG, which lacked a lot of the problems that bogged Zeta down. Char is a much more personal antagonist than Macross has up to where I've seen so far, and Amuro's friction with Bright and basically everyone works well.

What I WILL give Macross is that it has a better love story than basically any Gundam that's not G. Hikaru and Minmay's interactions are endearing, and childish in the way teenage relationships are, and not in the melodramatic way SEED and Destiny would have you believe.

That said, I don't really think Macross is inferior to Gundam, either. It's a great show and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. After Shin Mazinger Z it is probably the mecha anime I'm enjoying most right now.

jman2050

It's crazy to think that Hyouka was only last year. KyoAni has already done four different shows since Hyouka with another slotted next season and then I think Tamako S2 was rumored too?

The fact that all four have been varying shades of boring or just plain bad isn't helping matters.

It's crazy to think that Hyouka was only last year. KyoAni has already done four different shows since Hyouka with another slotted next season and then I think Tamako S2 was rumored too?

The fact that all four have been varying shades of boring or just plain bad isn't helping matters.

I'd say too much work could be part of it, but I'm not aware of how much they output on a regular basis before then.

Jarmel

Banned
So I'm watching Gundam at the same time and I'm not sure if I agree with your last statement here. A lot of what you said reflects my initial reactions, right down to having a black woman on the bridge in an interracial relationship.

But that it is leaps and bounds better than MSG I dunno. Getter, yeah, but I'm really fond of the original MSG, which lacked a lot of the problems that bogged Zeta down. Char is a much more personal antagonist than Macross has up to where I've seen so far, and Amuro's friction with Bright and basically everyone works well.

What I WILL give Macross is that it has a better love story than basically any Gundam that's not G. Hikaru and Minmay's interactions are endearing, and childish in the way teenage relationships are, and not in the melodramatic way SEED and Destiny would have you believe.

That said, I don't really think Macross is inferior to Gundam, either. It's a great show and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. After Shin Mazinger Z it is probably the mecha anime I'm enjoying most right now.

I'll have to see more of it, as right now I'm finding the leads much less annoying in the grating sort of way. Much less 'drama' and 'emo' stuff so far. The characters feel more normal even in their dialogue. That said, in the Gundam franchise, the characters have been at war for a longer period of time, so some level of human trauma is to be expected.

cnet128

Banned
Galileidonna 6

Yeah, this wasn't a great episode. That Roberto guy is just an ass, and the forced tragedy of the backstory this episode gave him doesn't do much to change that. Then the rest of the episode was just characters standing around alternating pointing guns at one another and eventually killing off some nameless characters while despairing at the state of the world.

At least Hozuki being best girl is still a constant through all of this.

I'd say too much work could be part of it, but I'm not aware of how much they output on a regular basis before then.

KyoAni isn't really more busy now than they've been in the past. The problems with recent KyoAni shows can be traced to one thing - the use of studio-owned IPs instead of adapting other people's properties. They went that way for business reasons, and it has been fairly successful for them, at least with Free and Chuunibyou, but the writing and general content of their shows has been consistently problematic ever since they made the switch.

KyoAni isn't really more busy now than they've been in the past. The problems with recent KyoAni shows can be traced to one thing - the use of studio-owned IPs instead of adapting other people's properties. They went that way for business reasons, and it has been fairly successful for them, at least with Free and Chuunibyou, but the writing and general content of their shows has been consistently problematic ever since they made the switch.

Sounds pretty bad. Just shows what their strengths are even more.

CorvoSol

I'll have to see more of it, as right now I'm finding the leads much less annoying in the grating sort of way. Much less 'drama' and 'emo' stuff so far. The characters feel more normal even in their dialogue. That said, in the Gundam franchise, the characters have been at war for a longer period of time, so some level of human trauma is to be expected.

There was a war going on in the background of Macross, too. But I feel that the original Mobile Suit Gundam doesn't have a lot of that 'emo' stuff, really. There's a lot of tension and stuff, but I think the show handles it well. For instance, Mirai is constantly telling Bright he needs to calm down during battles. Bright is a 19 year old under considerable stress, and Mirai is, if I'm not mistaken, somewhat older than him and a cooler head. It isn't drama, just what I think would actually happen if a teenager found himself responsible for keeping a ship full of citizens alive.

I don't know, I feel the original MSG is a really well-done series with regards to the "drama" aspect.

Jarmel

Banned
Macross- 2
i0NKURquMMguV.jpg
ikhBgiddRZ1Xj.jpg

There was a lot of good mechanical animation this episode
So far, this feels somewhat grounded. That's kinda weird to say with giants running around but it does. The character interactions are the core of the show so far and they've been enjoyable. There are also the technical mishaps that Corvo mentioned earlier, in that stuff breaks or don't really work. I also like how the hotshot pilot still sucks at using the robot, which I find realistic, as he's used to fighter controls.

iRIwm5prUHdfB.jpg

Still not sure if I like how they draw some of the characters in that they look droopy eyed at times

Jarmel

Banned
There was a war going on in the background of Macross, too. But I feel that the original Mobile Suit Gundam doesn't have a lot of that 'emo' stuff, really. There's a lot of tension and stuff, but I think the show handles it well. For instance, Mirai is constantly telling Bright he needs to calm down during battles. Bright is a 19 year old under considerable stress, and Mirai is, if I'm not mistaken, somewhat older than him and a cooler head. It isn't drama, just what I think would actually happen if a teenager found himself responsible for keeping a ship full of citizens alive.

I don't know, I feel the original MSG is a really well-done series with regards to the "drama" aspect.

Well it seems like the Unification Wars stuff had been over for a couple of years. So there was some sort of break instead of the constant fighting in the MSG universe.

I might have a different opinion of the series than you as I watched the MSG movies instead of the TV series.

Andrew J.

Valvrave 18

I like how even when he's all "Fuck the plan, I'mma indulge my EMOTIONS" L-elf does it by coming up with another elaborate plan.

CorvoSol

Well it seems like the Unification Wars stuff had been over for a couple of years. So there was some sort of break instead of the constant fighting in the MSG universe.

I might have a different opinion of the series than you as I watched the MSG movies instead of the TV series.

It could be, I have never seen the movies and I'm never going to watch the Zeta ones since they retcon ZZ and I hate that decision so, so, so much.

Jarmel

Banned
It could be, I have never seen the movies and I'm never going to watch the Zeta ones since they retcon ZZ and I hate that decision so, so, so much.

I only saw the OG movies, not the Zeta ones, as people highly recommended those over the TV series.

cnet128

Banned
Samurai Flamenco 6

Hee hee. This show is so much fun.
SUPER STATIONERY! Samurai Flamenco doesn't need to make his own gadgets, the gadgetman comes to him! And it really is some pretty super stationery. The effectiveness of that measuring tape in particular was so impressive it was almost messing with my suspension of disbelief. I'm still not quite sure how realistic this show wants to be, but I'm enjoying the strange halfway line it's treading.

Meanwhile the real hero of this show, that-one-girl-who's-friends-with-Mari, gets the ultimate prize of another delicious girl-on-girl kiss. Go That-One-Girl, you da best! I should really learn your name!

CorvoSol

I only saw the OG movies, not the Zeta ones, as people highly recommended those over the TV series.

The series is really great up until about
the death of Mathilda and Ryu
and then they feel like they're dragging in the desert. It picks up around Op. Odessa, kinda drags again (though there's the Gyan in there somewhere) then gets good in time for the ending.

As opposed to Zeta, which is great until they introduce Katz.

Still have tgat third one to watch. Maybe tonight!!

I'm going to rewatch Zeta in Japanese later and see if it doesn't improve my view of the series. I really hope it does.

Samurai Flamenco 6

Meanwhile the real hero of this show, that-one-girl-who's-friends-with-Mari, gets the ultimate prize of another delicious girl-on-girl kiss. Go That-One-Girl, you da best! I should really learn your name!

I believe her name is Moe, iirc. What a great name for her!

Conan-san

Pokemon Origins 1 (DubWatch)
Oh hey, there can be budget for Pokemon cartoons, turns out this was a LA dub (JYB was Brock, Kyle Hebert is Prof. Oak and there's word out that Bryce Papenbrook was Red). They didn't have whoever did Charmander do a "OH SHIT HE'S BITING MY THROAT OUT" scream (The bite was there for all to see but it was one short scream and then struggling sounds) but I can't tell if that's for censorship purposes or "not have the VA's voice go out on him/her on Ep 1" reasons.

Kinda wish if they had the means to tone down throatgate they would mix in the GB Sounds for the save menu but eh, life is life.

Oh hey, there can be budget for Pokemon cartoons, turns out this was a LA dub (JYB was Brock, Kyle Hebert is Prof. Oak and there's word out that Bryce Papenbrook was Red). They didn't have whoever did Charmander do a "OH SHIT HE'S BITING MY THROAT OUT" scream (The bite was there for all to see but it was one short scream and then strugling sounds) but I can't tell if that's for censorship purposes or "not have the VA's voice go out on him/her on Ep 1" reasons.

The Japanese Charmander scream will forever haunt me. :( Actually forgot this was getting dubbed (silly me) so now I need to remind myself to watch it at some point.

Oh hey, there can be budget for Pokemon cartoons, turns out this was a LA dub (JYB was Brock, Kyle Hebert is Prof. Oak and there's word out that Bryce Papenbrook was Red). They didn't have whoever did Charmander do a "OH SHIT HE'S BITING MY THROAT OUT" scream (The bite was there for all to see but it was one short scream and then struggling sounds) but I can't tell if that's for censorship purposes or "not have the VA's voice go out on him/her on Ep 1" reasons.

Kinda wish if they had the means to tone down throatgate they would mix in the GB Sounds for the save menu but eh, life is life.

Inferior dub.

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 6 – A Kind Person
tumblr_mw3eykcXy71ra3lv7o1_500.gif

Most shocking Magi episode yet, I wasnt prepared at all
was it always this intense and gruesome? Hakuryuu sliced Madaura right in half without even a moments notice and all that blood flying out, then Orba with his arm getting cut off. Its like they decided to up the ante to the highest level with no warning at all. I had to stop for a few moments. Certainly something I hadnt expected or signed up for.

Action was nice and incredible and Im glad were finally moving on
even if we must part ways. Much of the last half was terrible and ought not been penned or even animated

Theonik

Kill La Kill 07
Pretty great episode. Shame we won't be seeing more of
JoMako
post-credit scene sounds pretty hype like the show even needed that.

Infinite Stratos Infinite OVA 2
iVomioeUDWaV1.png

Team Chifuu-nee is still alive and well
It's impressive how they carved this out of episode 1 to sell stand-alone yet they still couldn't be arsed to animate much of the extra footage.

cnet128

Banned
Outbreak Company 7

Bahahahahah, that was some serious dissing of the later Minami-ke seasons at the start there. Even using a parody title, there was no way they could get away with that under normal circumstances, so I looked it up and sure enough, this show is made by the same director as Okaeri (and the same studio as Tadaima...) Nice to see that even the people involved accept the inherent superiority of the first season =p

As for the rest of the episode,
OH MY GOD MUSEL IN JAPAN IS SO ADORABLE. I'm talking moenuke levels right here. Even the maids in the maid cafe could see it. Best. Episode. Ever. Shin'ichi, why have you not married this girl already?

cajunator

Banned
Kill La Kill 07

Pretty great episode. Shame we won't be seeing more of
JoMako
post-credit scene sounds pretty hype like the show even needed that.

Infinite Stratos Infinite OVA 2

It's impressive how they carved this out of episode 1 to sell stand-alone yet they still couldn't be arsed to animate much of the extra footage.

glowing pantsu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom