• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Valvrave ep 18
Oh man, that explains everything. Looks like L-elf is the only guy here that is benefiting here while Haruto gets shited on.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's actually a pretty straightforward adaptation of the 70s Tomb of Dracula comic! Just a bad one. Equivalent of a super condensed manga adaptation.

Looking back at an old post of mine, it's like 70 issues condensed into 2 hours lol
Well, somebody was toking up.

Valvrave the Liberator - 5

A Disney-esque musical? In my space mecha action anime?!? And it's actually somewhat entertaining to watch?!? What is this I don't even.

Defuser

Golden time ep 7

Dat heavy smothering love. Even I can't take it, its too heavy!!! Even Koko's dad is taking pity on the targets.

I know everybody here is saying that Golden TIme needs to have some major drama come since they're way too happy right now but personally I'd prefer if
they stayed together throughout the series and it wasn't a melodrama of break-ups and getting together again. I'd rather if the drama came from learning more about Koko's past, maybe Mitsuo finally realizing that he does love Koko and trying to get her back (and horribly failing), Barbara doing the same (and failing) and the amnesia thing. It's just such a refreshing thing to see an anime where people get together so quickly that I really want them to stay together.

Andrew J.

Valvrave the Liberator - 4

Well, that escalated quickly!

I thought that these ARUS people would turn out to be not exactly the nicest fellows, but I didn't think it would be this soon! Introduced as nice guys in one episode, next episode they're firing on innocents! Oh, and now we've got a bunch of high-school kids creating their own country. How beautiful. Can't wait for it to inevitably fall apart, cause that's what usually happens in these kinds of situations in shows.

"Call me Moses."

cajunator

Banned
Fate/Zero 25

Satisfying end, but seriously fuck Shirou: just knowing how incompetent this fucker will be when he grows up makes me feel really sorry for Kiritsugu.
Nude Gilgamesh in that pose made me laugh out loud.

Good episode, will think on this overnight and post a series review soon.

It was one of the best shows the seasons it came out and all the production values and story quality were really high. The blurays actually have some extended scenes of exposition and further explore the characters motives and fears. Dunno if you saw that version though.
FSN is cute at times but yeah, definitely wait and see if UFO can save it.

They got a few right but I dont see Non Non Biyori or Golden Time on that list so its obviously wrong.

I might actually watch that Super Sonico anime when it shows. I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be about. Especially after that preview I just saw, but I always loved her character design.

I think it's the headphones she's always wearing. Headphones can make anyone look cool, like Yosuke for example.

Negima!? Series thoughts

Probably the weakest of the SHAFT shows I've personally seen in terms of over-all hilarity, but when it's funny it is very funny (usually occurs with the frog). It started out very strong with Negi being able to put up a fight against a very strong opponent, but then once he starts making contracts with the girls all of a sudden he can't do anything by himself and needs to use these girls to fight for him. Not to mention a very interesting villain got turned into a side character for the sake of having them be cutaway characters while the rest of the show focused more on the comedy.

The characters were... ok. I feel like every single character (besides the frog and the ferret thing) has been done better in other shows, most notably Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Which now that I realize, I think SHAFT has ruined me and made me start to think that maybe it's ok for teachers and students to make romantic relationships even though it's taboo in basically every other anime haha.

So while not the strongest harem comedy I've seen, and the visuals/art design and characters being better in other Shaft shows such as Zetsubou Sensei, it was an enjoyable enough show. Don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone as honestly I'd probably recommend other shows made by Shaft over this.

cajunator

Banned
Negima!? Series thoughts

Probably the weakest of the SHAFT shows I've personally seen in terms of over-all hilarity, but when it's funny it is very funny (usually occurs with the frog). It started out very strong with Negi being able to put up a fight against a very strong opponent, but then once he starts making contracts with the girls all of a sudden he can't do anything by himself and needs to use these girls to fight for him. Not to mention a very interesting villain got turned into a side character for the sake of having them be cutaway characters while the rest of the show focused more on the comedy.

The characters were... ok. I feel like every single character (besides the frog and the ferret thing) has been done better in other shows, most notably Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Which now that I realize, I think SHAFT has ruined me and made me start to think that maybe it's ok for teachers and students to make romantic relationships even though it's taboo in basically every other anime haha.

So while not the strongest harem comedy I've seen, and the visuals/art design and characters being better in other Shaft shows such as Zetsubou Sensei, it was an enjoyable enough show. Don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone as honestly I'd probably recommend other shows made by Shaft over this.

Its better than another studio's prior attempt at Negima.

Gazoinks

Oh a scale of 1 to 10, how excited are you for the Ufotable remake of Fate/Stay Night next year?

Uuuuh. Huh. Well I love Fate/Zero but pretty much disliked the first three Garden of Sinners movies, and they're not drawing from great source material so (although I don't know that much about the quality of the F/SN VN, am I wrong?)... 5 but cautiously hopeful I guess.

I know everybody here is saying that Golden TIme needs to have some major drama come since they're way too happy right now but personally I'd prefer if
they stayed together throughout the series and it wasn't a melodrama of break-ups and getting together again. I'd rather if the drama came from learning more about Koko's past, maybe Mitsuo finally realizing that he does love Koko and trying to get her back (and horribly failing), Barbara doing the same (and failing) and the amnesia thing. It's just such a refreshing thing to see an anime where people get together so quickly that I really want them to stay together.

I agree with all of this except Mitsuo releasing he loves Koko. I feel like that'd cheapen his character a bit (not that he has a ton of character right now, but...)

As long as they don't bring back ghost Banri I'll be happy.

Taruranto

Why You Should Watch It: Beyond the Boundary is the story of two outcasts finding true friendship for the first time in their lives. It deals with what it’s like simply to be born different and to be ostracized for it. But as interesting as their budding friendship is, it’s the setting that is the star of the show. Beyond the Boundary builds a compelling modern fantasy world by throwing you right into the middle of it—it forces you to figure out the rules of this supernatural world by watching the characters’ interactions instead of overloading you with exposition. And as it’s topped off with some of the most beautiful-looking animation this season, it’s definitely one to watch.

Sounds DEEP.

cnet128

Banned
I went through the last 6 pages trying to find an impression of this week's Galileidonna. None were to be found. RIP Umetsu. Looks like everyone has made the right choice. Lol.

That's because I'm a little behind on anime (I blame things like the release of Band Bros P and the fact that there are like seven Thursday shows I'm watching). I should be watching that episode this evening =)

A few character key visuals for each of the main six girls in Sakura Trick:

http://moca-news.net/article/20131116/201311160220a/01/

Also you guys can fight about socks a bit more.

Hmmmmm, which is most likely best girl? I think the Iguchi Yuka girl seems like the best bet (the blonde lead, Sonoda Yuu), but the Igarashi Hiromi girl (Minami Shizuku, plainface twintails) certainly has a fighting chance, and the Fujita Saki girl (Sonoda Mitsuki, megane) could be up there as well.

Gazoinks

Kyousougiga 5.5
gU1yeFnl.jpg

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME

Fun episode, interesting to learn about all the Japanese folklore and traditions behind the show. Made me want to go to Kyoto!

Next episode looks like it's covering a lot of stuff from the end of the original ONA, didn't expect that to happen so soon.

cajunator

Banned
Kyousougiga 5.5

Fun episode, interesting to learn about all the Japanese folklore and traditions behind the show. Made me want to go to Kyoto!

Next episode looks like it's covering a lot of stuff from the end of the original ONA, didn't expect that to happen so soon.

9/10 would devour

Jarmel

Banned
Macross- 1
So unlike Corvo, I've seen a couple of Macross related stuff already such as Macross Frontier and Macross Plus. I'm mainly watching this as I'm pretty much done with Gundam and this is the other major mech related franchise. Also that gif that Jexhius was talking about earlier convinced me to watch this.
Anyway pretty standard opening on a lot of levels. I did laugh my head off at how the hotshot pilot got put in his place so quickly. He was so cocky at the beginning of the episode and near the end realized he wasn't shit.
ivDPUuHbXmbx2.jpg

This is like the worst hairstyle ever
Couple of things I really liked though so far is the fact that there is a black woman on the show and that she's in an interracial relationship. I literally can't remember the last time this happened in an anime, especially one from this period. In fact, there seems to be some racial diversity as a whole which is refreshing. I also liked the amount of casualties already. Granted it's a bunch of redshirts and offscreen deaths, but the show does a good job displaying that this is an actual fight.
So far I'm liking the characters as well. Sure as shit beats Gundam.

jman2050

Episode 6 is actually legit good taken in isolation. The direction, comedic timing, and jokes were all a lot better.

I'll give you the first but I just didn't find it very funny outside of a few select gags (Mirai cleaning her nonexistent glasses, Mitsuki in a bubble, the entire amusing and meaningless training montage during the idol performance)

Heck I'm trying to just remember the rest of the episode outside of the stuff I liked and nothing substantial is coming to mind. Oh right, Mirai was in some ugly pink getup that one time. Also lots of shower scenes I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom