• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Dammit Jarmel is ahead of me in Macross. This is what happens when I'm watching upwards of 10 shows this season PLUS wind up selling all my free time to watching the entire New Doctor Who series.

Can't sleep must Martha.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The Rose of Versailles 25
TWOxCMk.jpg
Twenty-five episodes for Oscar's feminine side to genuinely come out. The show has been really subtle in regards to her gender up until this point, so for it to finally come it feels well earned on the part of the series. Now that it's finally come the frivolities of Versailles have somewhat waned as political unrest across the country grows. It's interesting to see character development blooming while their world kind of crumbles around them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh shit, I forgot to check, but Oniisama e... set 1 got funded on Animesols. I know they're selling through Rightstuf, so hopefully they'll make enough to actually sell. I think I'll wait for the series to be produced before buying them though.

Gazoinks

Yamato 2199 25

Awesome and fairly intense.
It was pretty sweet seeing space pirate submarine guy showing up to finally get rid of Goer, with Yabu in tow!

Desler was a crazy warmongering tyrant, but this episode really did make me sad for her. And... space with girl. Celestella? Was that her name?

Yuki... ;_;

The beginning of the second half of this episode was very Star Wars.

Narag

Oh shit, I forgot to check, but Oniisama e... set 1 got funded on Animesols. I know they're selling through Rightstuf, so hopefully they'll make enough to actually sell. I think I'll wait for the series to be produced before buying them though.

Are they adding extra features or something? I just assumed it'd be viki subs slapped on a disc for printing and calling it a day.

wonzo

Banned
paul horizon 7

loghorizon7.jpg

the gold standard, only workable in an mmo with "unlimited" gold and its still an utter shithole
ancap.gif

You can really tell this is from the MMY author when it starts nerdin' about supply & demand and the resource constraints such a small guild faces.
If he's really planning on buying the fucking Guild Hall then goddamn.

Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo 4

A male? Booooo. Now we have a Magical Boy exposing his cock to girls.

Chucklefuck Glasses Boy is a failure though.

So right now, the main plot is for everyone to get a waifu or husbando in order to continue the lineage, with Kanon wanting the D from Ken... but has to force him to be a bat somehow or someway!

Meanwhile Turtle gets thrown under the bus due to his own incompetence.

Jintor

paul horizon 7

loghorizon7.jpg

the gold standard, only workable in an mmo with "unlimited" gold and its still an utter shithole
ancap.gif

You can really tell this is from the MMY author when it starts nerdin' about supply & demand and the resource constraints such a small guild faces.
If he's really planning on buying the fucking Guild Hall then goddamn.

oh right, it's from that OTHER Maou show

Gazoinks

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 26 END
1EWOa6X.jpg

This was a great show, despite a slightly slow start. As Jexhius has pointed out in his smart fancy posts, visually the show's stunning (aside from one slightly yucky CG moment). I really liked the music also, those fanfares were great for the retro feel oft he show, and they got me more pumped up than more standard rock or electronica would have. The action was also pretty awesome, especially once you got to the epic stuff in the second half.

The show also did a very nice job juggling its large cast. Although Kodai was obviously the central protagonist with some secondary protagonists behind him, everyone including the (named) side characters got enough development to be likable and recognizable, and even most of the villains were sympathetic in one way or another.

I don't really have any major complaints. The fanservice has been brought up a lot so I probably don't need to dwell on it too much, but it is my biggest issue with the show. It's far from a dealbreaker, and you mostly stop noticing it, but it does feel a bit out of place most of the time (high heels why). I also got slightly annoyed by
the story's tendency to threaten the death of characters and then save them at the last minute, Don't get me wrong, I like the positive tone of the series, I'm not saying I want people to be dying left and right (even though they technically did, but they didn't have names :p). But the series would keep pulling "LOOK AT THIS HE'S DYING OH HE'S DEAD wait no he's fine.". Desler faked his death twice! Although I had no problem when this was done with Yuki.

So yeah good show watch it.

Makoto/Kato best couple

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are they adding extra features or something? I just assumed it'd be viki subs slapped on a disc for printing and calling it a day.
No clue. They also have it streaming from their site, so I have no idea if they did their own subs or reused subs.

wonzo

Banned
Samumenco 6

samuraiflam6.jpg

the stationary equipment, the various tonal "dings", and the dude that killed a bear in image training…

i cant

i haven't been this overwhelmed since SUPERMARKET IN VVV

Asura Cryin' [Complete]

This show jumped the shark really early on over how much potential it had. They were sitting on a relatively good concept and just uncontrollable diarrhea'd all over the place. But instead of dropping it I was mesmerized by the way it splattered all over the walls and floor, almost yet not quite like art. And when it was all done I thought to myself if it was worth it. But then I sneezed and tried to cover myself with my hand, only to slap all the residue into my face. Now I gotta shower. I'm a dirty Admiral.

LOLDSFAN

Monogatari - 20

Those pat heads... They get me everytime. :(

Also I can't believe that Youtube video a year ago. Dat clairvoyance!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 26 END

I don't really have any major complaints. The fanservice has been brought up a lot so I probably don't need to dwell on it too much, but it is my biggest issue with the show. It's far from a dealbreaker, and you mostly stop noticing it, but it does feel a bit out of place most of the time (high heels why). I also got slightly annoyed by
the story's tendency to threaten the death of characters and then save them at the last minute, Don't get me wrong, I like the positive tone of the series, I'm not saying I want people to be dying left and right (even though they technically did, but they didn't have names :p). But the series would keep pulling "LOOK AT THIS HE'S DYING OH HE'S DEAD wait no he's fine.". Desler faked his death twice! Although I had no problem when this was done with Yuki.

So yeah good show watch it.

Makoto/Kato best couple

That's because it's half-remake, half reboot. A "makeboot" if you will?
lol
Clearly they are going to do something with the second season of the original series, so a lot of things just have to end up the way the end up.

That said, I'm still glad that
they redid it so that the humans were the natural aggressors in the war and that they essentially caused the death of billions on their own. Of course, you could argue that being slaves to the empire would have been just as bad, if not worse, so it's probably a push... but it was such a backfire moment that it worked out really well as a way to inject new life into an old story

Gazoinks

That's because it's half-remake, half reboot. A "makeboot" if you will?
lol
Clearly they are going to do something with the second season of the original series, so a lot of things just have to end up the way the end up.

That said, I'm still glad that
they redid it so that the humans were the natural aggressors in the war and that they essentially caused the death of billions on their own. Of course, you could argue that being slaves to the empire would have been just as bad, if not worse, so it's probably a push... but it was such a backfire moment that it worked out really well as a way to inject new life into an old story

Yeah. I haven't seen the original, but this was a really well-done reboot. Is the original worth watching? Also, what's the premise of the second season? The whole first season was pretty much a self-contained story, so I assume some other bad thing shows up?

Yeah, I think they did a pretty good job in general at making the conflict feel fairly ambiguous (while still keeping the good guys and bad guys clear). There're foolish warmongering types on both sides.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah. I haven't seen the original, but this was a really well-done reboot. Is the original worth watching? Also, what's the premise of the second season? The whole first season was pretty much a self-contained story, so I assume some other bad thing shows up?

Yeah, I think they did a pretty good job in general at making the conflict feel fairly ambiguous (while still keeping the good guys and bad guys clear). There're foolish warmongering types on both sides.
I don't know much about the original other than what I read, so it's out there if you're interested (in lieu of "spoiling" it here). But, things open up, and characters return to say the least.
---
Also, reading the Monogatari summary for 20, I feel sad. :(

Gazoinks

I don't know much about the original other than what I read, so it's out there if you're interested (in lieu of "spoiling" it here). But, things open up, and characters return to say the least.
---
Also, reading the Monogatari summary for 20, I feel sad. :(

If Desler is somehow not dead I am going to slap the writers.

CorvoSol

This is hours and hours late but I just realized that Dark Cat never really addresses
where all the vanishing people are going or what is causing it.
Which is no surprise, but there you have it.

If you want a semi-spoiler of what happens second season, at least in the original from what I read in the character profile in MAL, that I really like
Kodai becomes the new captain of the Yamato. If anybody had a lot of growth throughout the show, it was him so I hope they stick with this

Also I don't want to freak out anybody over Log Horizon but I read something very disturbing...
They're living in the database. Database. It's stuck in my head I need help :(

Theonik

Jarmel

Banned
Macross 18-
3496.jpg

Focker just got Mikhail'd. I kinda figured this would happen. I thought it would be either Max or him.
I did laugh at how Focker went to his girlfriend's apartment to die instead of going to a hospital.

i7Mhd5xpHlUdL.gif

God damn at the animation this episode. Almost makes up for the last bunch of episodes.

Jarmel

Banned
Macross 19-
ibgTkqI05cESsf.jpg

Her loins ache
Well no leftovers for Kakizaki. Damn shit is getting serious. I fucking loved how that phone call with Minmay ended. No bitch, I got bigger problems right now. Also Kaifun is the most preachy motherfucker for someone who doesn't do jackshit.
Also how many direct orders is Kamujin going to disobey before he loses his command? For a militaristic society, they seem pretty lax about that.

And so I explore the depths that is 4ch to see the Precure fanbase.

interesting in that the final arc of HC is supposedly the worst, granted I do have some issues with that.

And Yandere Mana/Molester Mana. That's about it.

cajunator

Banned
Wish I could just filter out the episodes with Regina and skip the rest of the show.
Is there anything about the next season previewed yet?

Reknoc

Macross 7 takes a pretty dark turn around 16 episodes in, it was all fun and games when Basara wanted people to listen to his song, but then the space-elf vampire lady arrives and it gets a little rapey. Legit feel uncomfortable watching this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom