• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
When does Gintama becomes 'OMG" amazing? It's a funny ass show, but I need something more than comedy to stick with a show for 255 episodes!

The Benizakura Arc is the first big serious arc, episodes 58-61. After that the larger arcs start coming at a fairly regular pace, with varying degrees of seriousness.

Midonin

Grisaia 02

Yumiko's past wasn't quite as front and center as I thought, and I don't think her issues are resolved yet, but the path towards not immediately attacking people with a box cutter is there. The scenes with Makina were cute. It looks like the black bars are here to stay, which I don't mind. The show has this nicely cinematic feel to it. OP's pretty good, too.

Log Horizon S2 02:

No seriously, who thought putting a guy with a huge grudgeboner for Shiro in the same squad with Shiro was a good idea?

The idea was to keep all the people not part of Silver Sword together (Because the silver sword people are used to working together on raids)

Barakamon 07

iIaEryU.jpg

Almost seaman.

Fishing can be fun, when one bad thing happens another usually follows and airports got all kinds of souvenirs.

Phatmac

Looks like they'll be roatiting out the girl's different stories each episode but it seems like Yumiko will be the main focus of the show from the ED and focus on her over the other girls which I'd enjoy since I think her story would be a fine way to adapt the anime. The fish scene with Makina was really cute I can't wait to see her character change over time. Still hate all the panty shots but I guess it's to be expected. At least Yuuji doesn't act like most pervy MC's.

One Piece 665

Let's spend half the episode covering Rebecca's boring fight and having Zoro getting lost when it didn't happen in the manga.

Because that's just fun to watch.

Necrovex

One Piece 665

Let's spend half the episode covering Rebecca's boring fight and having Zoro getting lost when it didn't happen in the manga.

Because that's just fun to watch.

You should simply hold out for One Pace to release their monthly episode of One Piece. That way you can avoid that awful pacing and those awful fillers!

Midonin

Girlfriend Beta 01

Like a lot of people, a series based on a social card game rose to the top of shows I'm looking forward to. Unlike a lot of people, it was this one. I always wonder how shows like this will play out overseas, since we're not exposed to the marketing for the game, and it doesn't have as big an influence over here. One of the unique aspects of this is that every background character is a girl with her own big name VA and her own story. I can see why they narrowed it down to five for purposes of the anime.

Like Milky Holmes and Koihime Musou, not adding in a male protagonist was a good choice. I find that people often talk them down for not being strong enough, which is problematic, or if they are, they can become a black hole of discussion where being "badass" or "manly" also takes away from the girls, and I find equally problematic. So make the focus on the girls themselves, and all is well.

Chloe is great. She's pretty much the second coming of Sketchbook's Kate, only with the added bonus of making me think she's going to pull out the Star Wand at some point. It's a pleasant show to end my Sunday anime.

phaze

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 12

tumblr_mxoh9mnm4u1r3rl2s6p.gif

Goddamit show, I wanted something uplifting after D'Eon.

Soredemo always had those more somber, meditative parts but this takes the cake.
And they actually made me believe, they're going through with Hotori's death. That scene with her watching her family and friends was hard to watch. At least they ended it on a positive note. phew.

While there were some low points that didn't do much for me, in general the series kept to a steady high standard with some truly amazingly funny segments. (Every math teacher appearance, skipping school, the four eyes portrait.) I was surprised how inconsequential overall was the whole maid cafe deal. I imagined most of the show would revolve around running it but nah. And Yet the Town Moves stays true to its title and is more about the titular small city and its quirky inhabitants. S2 please.

Soredemo always had those more somber, meditative parts but this takes the cake.
And they actually made me believe, they're going through with Hotori's death. That scene with her watching her family and friends was hard to watch. At least they ended it on a positive note. phew.

It was a masterstroke of adaptation to choose this story to end the series on, and also to expand it the way the anime did. It wasn't nearly as emotionally effective in the manga as it was here.

While there were some low points that didn't do much for me, in general the series kept to a steady high standard with some truly amazingly funny segments. (Every math teacher appearance, skipping school, the four eyes portrait.) I was surprised how inconsequential overall was the whole maid cafe deal. I imagined most of the show would revolve around running it but nah. And Yet the Town moves is true to its title and more about the titular small city and its quirky inhabitants. S2 please.

Frankly it's just as well that there isn't a season 2, because they'd never be able to top this season's ending. You should read the manga though! Plenty more neat stories where these came from.

Link Man

Banned
Girlfriend Beta 1

Dull as dishwater, but that may be due to the fact that this episode simply focused on introductions. And with so many characters being introduced, we never really get a sense for who they are or what kind of quirks they may have. Hopefully, with that out of the way, the show can become more interesting.

Barakamon 08

Handa finally holds a beetle.

Finding new ways to write calligraphy is difficult, bug hunting is difficult and finding the right birthday present is also difficult. The Obon grave visit part was touching.

Ushinawareta Mirai wo motomete - 02

What'sq the deal with that box ? who the heck is our mysterious naked girl ?

This episode had no answer to those questions but we sure have some hints.
The fact that we're not getting 1 loop by episode is also nice ..let's just hope this won't be an endless 8

Akame ga Kill - 15

That Seryu girl with the dog sure is cray cray. Buildup to a big fight in the next episode.
I have a feeling someone is going to die, I hope it's not husbando Bols. Lil' Akame is a freaking necromancer, can't say I expected that

cajunator

Banned
Cross Ange 2

What a nice way to spend a Sunday morning. More of Ange being an unlikable character. Drunk sexual assults.
The only person on Ange's side dies... And Ange is more likely worried about her on situation to care.

Cross Ange 2

The trashier, softcore Strike Witches that nobody asked for. Sunrise has a megaton on their hands.

Cross Ange 2

Female on female sex, molestation, and bullying. I'd feel worse for Ange but she's still in stuck up princess bitch mode mode and refuses to accept the shitty situation she's in despite all this shit that has happened to her. On some level I can understand rebelling but these girls will fucking kick, rape or kill her ass and don't give a shit.
Oh and let's kill the first person that was nice to her just BECAUSE.

So this has potential to not only be a trainwreck but a full on Pepcon explosion.
Excellent.

Ore Twintails ni Narimasu. - 01

THIS SHOW IS STUPID

This is so stupid i can't hate it

APPROVED

i really can't dislike a show this stupid.

"They stole her twintail element !"
WTF

Truly anime of the year material.

Yes, it very much is!

Space dandy S2 - 10
I'm bitter it ended that way , the episode was excellent .. well directed , stupidly well animated and just fun to watch ...

That was really good.

The first time i really despised the "reset" nature of this show.

Grisaia 2 really liking so far it sure it's cutting some parts but so far alright. Shame it's 13 ep dont think that enough for the full story.

Cross Ange 2 hahhaaaha it's so bad.

Vanadis - 02

hnng, more dragons (technically it's a wyvern?). Titta is pretty cute trying to defend Tigres home no matter what. Limlisha is still the best though, so Titta will have do to with spot number 2.
Interesting to see how they're going to handle 3000 men and two serpent beasts. But hey, he got that shiny new black bow now

tumblr_mxoh9mnm4u1r3rl2s6p.gif

While there were some low points that didn't do much for me, in general the series kept to a steady high standard with some truly amazingly funny segments. (Every math teacher appearance, skipping school, the four eyes portrait.) I was surprised how inconsequential overall was the whole maid cafe deal. I imagined most of the show would revolve around running it but nah. And Yet the Town Moves stays true to its title and is more about the titular small city and its quirky inhabitants. S2 please.

haha...

:[

Space Dandy S2 - 11

0D, 1D, 2D, 3D, 4D ..you'll be the same dandy to me.

But someone please give that answer to einstein , i need a wrap drive ASAP

Necrovex

I see a few people posting about Samurai Flamenco. I can't tell if people love this show or are being super sarcastic about it!

Tenumi

Banned
Space dandy S2 - 10

I'm bitter it ended that way , the episode was excellent .. well directed , stupidly well animated and just fun to watch ...

That was really good.

The first time i really despised the "reset" nature of this show.

I've got absolutely no issues calling this episode my favorite of the show. Liked it that much.

FSN UBW - 01

A big meh from me.

I only got a couple episodes into the DEEN version until Shirou became too unbearable and I dropped it; he appears to be handled a tad better here but he's still awful enough.

He's a good guy, doing good things all day and doesn't have a real flaw so far. He even keeps his cool in front of the complete asshole, and certain adversary/villain down the line, Shinji. God damn it, he actually cleans up the asshole's mess after taking some trash talk...

I mean, he's being called out for being too helpful but that didn't actually cause any issues for him thus far. His encounter with Lancer was seriously just badluck, even if his niceness caused him to stay longer.

Of course, he's also got his harem in progress already :/

But the real problem I have with him this episode is the extremely stilted dialogue between him and pretty much everyone else. When he talks with the student council (president?)—who's got a voice that makes him sound 40+—about fixing things and being nice in the least teenage-manner, blergh.

His conversations with Sakura and that moronic teacher lady also mostly comes down to "he's such a good guy" and food talk. Overall most of his dialogue just feels somewhat off and lacks anything that could be interesting.

Reading that he's gonna become rather misogynistic doesn't give me much hope for improvement either.

Now a lot of people are praising the animation quality of this show and to some degree I'll certainly agree. But what dimb mentioned seems to damper my overall impression quite a bit. Overall the consistency seems to be somewhat lacking and while their are moments standing out as extremely well done (fight sequences for instance) there are others that look downright wrong/off/ugly to me.

When we have character profile perspectives I just can't help but notice the nose and mouth most of the time.

Look at this, Shirou is looking straight forward but the mouth...it's like it's planted on the side of his face. So much skin is drawn to the left of it. I understand that those profile perspectives are probably really hard to draw with the usual low detail anime faces and it may make the animation a it easier as well but...this can be done better, right? I just can't take a face like that serious.

edit:
I mean, do it like this!

Space Dandy S2 - 12

I honnestly expected something stupid.

But i wasn't expecting that :
Space%20Dandy%202%20-%2012.jpg

A man gotta do what he gotta do.

It was enjoyable , that stupid set of backstories to create this trial was fine but what a waste of time, lol

EDIT : lol my screenshot bugued , an "unfortunate" accident that reflect my feelings on this entertaining waste of time.

Dresden

fastniunblwo - 01 (first half of)

This is boring. The 'humor' is horribly unfunny and awkward. Couldn't take any more.

Also the characters look like they're afloat away from the bg at times. I know it's meant to be a subjective view of what Shirou is seeing, but even accounting for height differences, it's fucked. Speaking of subjective cams, every character is introduced in this way, and it just kinda hammers in the self-insertion appeal of the character.

phaze

It was a masterstroke of adaptation to choose this story to end the series on, and also to expand it the way the anime did. It wasn't nearly as emotionally effective in the manga as it was here.
Yeah the sudden shift hit me hard and surprised the hell of me.

Frankly it's just as well that there isn't a season 2, because they'd never be able to top this season's ending. You should read the manga though! Plenty more neat stories where these came from.
I'm not particularly fond of manga in general but I will check it out.

Soyonara Zetsubou Sensei 01

On to the next Shaft show that I've had my eyes on for a while. I think I remember someone posting impressions and video of that opening scene with the hanging.

Well the "getting taller" gag is still hilarious. Nozomu and Kafuka already have a funny dynamic going. I always liked Araragi's voice actor so I'm glad to see/hear him here. Loved the digs at 5cm per Second.

Jex

fastniunblwo - 01 (first half of)

This is boring. The 'humor' is horribly unfunny and awkward. Couldn't take any more.

Also the characters look like they're afloat away from the bg at times. I know it's meant to be a subjective view of what Shirou is seeing, but even accounting for height differences, it's fucked. Speaking of subjective cams, every character is introduced in this way, and it just kinda hammers in the self-insertion appeal of the character.

But but people told me the first person was just to held us understand what the character is going though! Not because its some kind of harem VN scenario!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom