• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Posting Cross Ange screens should be bannable.
Can't we just never talk about this series ever again instead?
G5UB1wk.gif

Mobile Suit Gundam 8th MS Team

Screw it I loved the hell out of everything

Ok I liked the main cast

plot was pretty non-existent

Villain was stupid

Everything about the last episode was bad until the last 10 minutes

But I liked the characters, and I liked the fights (that Gouf)

Also, Karen Joshua!

I stopped watching Carnival Phantasm after the first episode, because most of the jokes weren't funny to me afterwards. I mean all I care about Type Moon is FSN series and KnK.

It essentially portrays her as a massive narcissist who believes she's suffering because the world knows she's just too amazing to be left alone.

And that directly turns her abuse scenes into something else, since she finds validation/indirect enjoyment from being abused in the parody(she beats up Rider every time she attempts to save her). She has to have her abuse 'fix'.

tldr TYPE-MOON knows almost too well

I think it is time for a quick poll.

How many people here also didn't know what a rotary phone was when they watched this episode?

I think it is safe to assume all those born in the 90s didn't.

1991 and our family had one until 95. And we kept it around the house. So yeah I know what a rotary phone is and how it works.

Branduil

Using a rotary phone is easy.

Step 1. Pick up the rotary phone.

Step 2. Grasp it firmly while placing a finger in one of the holes.

Step 3. Sneak up behind someone and bash them over the head with the rotary phone.

Step 4. Use their cell phone.

I kind of want to watch this, but i'm not sure I want to get into another Trinity Souls type deal.

How far down does the rabbit hole go?
Cross Ange is edgelord shit, but it's better than VVV.

I wouldn't look at it until maybe episode 5 or 6, when there is a better overall concensus on where the plot is leading. At this point you'd only be watching it if you're willing to enjoy a bad show.

kewlmyc

Cross Ange is edgelord shit, but it's better than VVV.

I wouldn't look at it until maybe episode 5 or 6, when there is a better overall concensus on where the plot is leading. At this point you'd only be watching it if you're willing to enjoy a bad show.

Saying something is better than Valvrave isn't really much of a compliment. :p

Narag

The elusive MrJeff has been caught and in doing so I was entitled to one wish. That wish, you ask? I wished he would watch bet me in order to restore the sanctity of the watchbet. Between the general reneging on bets and Mike's slow murder of phoenix, something had to be done. He was kind enough to grant my wish. We agreed to begin in December due to prior commitments on both of our parts, my work and nanowrimo eating up the little time I'll have in the coming weeks and his constant escapng from children attempting to capture him to have their own wishes granted.

He selected the following to be my challenge:
PfM3FY2.jpg

Apparently a show of little renown and questionable quality, I'll do my best in completing this task.

In an act of mercy, I offered him something excellent in return, a proven winner. Known as one of the best space operas in anime, it's something I'm sure he'll enjoy given the classic status it holds in both our hearts and lists everywhere.

That's right:

jzpYjlP.png

Pray for me that I might complete this journey unscathed.

Fate/Stay Night: UBW 1

Damn that was really good, I like Shirou as a lead and of course Ufotable makes every action scene look amazing. Looking forward to more of this

http://a.pomf.se/tgwwjo.webm

Opening: Another one of those instances where the one from the VN was better. Not that its bad or anything.
Ending: It's fine. Heard it was supposed to relate to the sequel? Not sure if that's true or not.

They kept the chibi style!

This is good.

This is very, very good.

Makes me hopeful the other instances will remain the same.

Nice to see the lovely JB, even if we had to deal with the that awful looking CGI car and background (Might be one of the worst I've seen).

Amane still defending her title as best slut well.

http://a.pomf.se/dklpiv.webm

That girl is as thirsty as I remember her to be.

JoeFu

Banned
Ping Pong the Animation 07

They've set up something completely predictable in one episode. I hope it doesn't go down that road.

The thing with the knee turns out differently than what I expected and I love it for that. Ping Pong is so freaking good.

Akame Ga Kill 15

lLGKsTS.png
lLGKsTS.png
lLGKsTS.png

lLGKsTS.png
lLGKsTS.png
lLGKsTS.png

lLGKsTS.png
lLGKsTS.png
lLGKsTS.png

All those swimsuits HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Ending was seriously hype, a group battle between Nightraid and the Jeagers is gonna be dope as hell.

I'm also liking how the anime handles Kurome, I actually find her creepy cute which is what I think the author was going for in the manga but it never works well there.

wonzo

Banned
amagi brilliant park 1-2

amagibp1.jpg

the whole things entrenched in LNisms like a serial killers apartment is reeking with the smell of corpses under the floorboards but the self aware cynicism of pretty much everyone down to even the cute 'n cuddly mascots really keeps things afloat. a shame its all gonna sink when the amnesia flashback stuff torpedoes the rickety ass boat.

earth > fire > wind > water

Jarmel

Banned
There are two things about Amagi that I'm really disappointed in right now.

The first is the background art. It's fine I guess, but it's really kinda disappointing from KyoAni. It's not that detailed and there is a lot of unnecessary usage of CGI (I'm not talking about the mechanical animation). This was more of an issue in the 2nd episode.

The other being that the storyboarding is pretty weak in the 2nd episode. Unlike the first episode that used a lot of heavy cuts for both comedic and pacing purposes, the 2nd episode had a number of bad and uninteresting camera angles. It sort of feels like two different people storyboarded each episode but I know Takemoto did both.

Narag

Two sets of impressions since I had two people recommend this for two different reasons.

For wonzo:

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 1-2

This is such a surprise despite reading various impressions in here as there's this wonderful balance of drama and humor that works well and feels genuine rather than forced. The sense of this burgeoning father/daughter relationship between Kokkuri and Kohina is just really nice as the two get to know one another and grow closer in the process. I think the vignette format does a great job in making these episodes feel much more dense than a normal show as well. That's more compliment than criticism as so much happens at this unrelenting pace yet it never feels overbearing. I really like that the skits are loosely connected yet independent enough to flip between humor and drama without feeling disjointed as well. Frankly, I'd probably be better off if I let wonzo select all my viewing material.

For Zach:

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 1-2

RV4WPlg.gif

wonzo

Banned
There are two things about Amagi that I'm really disappointed in right now.

The first is the background art. It's fine I guess, but it's really kinda disappointing from KyoAni. It's not that detailed and there is a lot of unnecessary usage of CGI (I'm not talking about the mechanical animation). This was more of an issue in the 2nd episode.

The other being that the storyboarding is pretty weak in the 2nd episode. Unlike the first episode that used a lot of heavy cuts for both comedic and pacing purposes, the 2nd episode had a number of bad and uninteresting camera angles. It sort of feels like two different people storyboarded each episode but I know Takemoto did both.
you can almost feel takemoto's enthusiasm slowly dying

Jarmel

Banned
you can almost feel takemoto's enthusiasm slowly dying

Honestly I'm not sure if it's more Takemoto or whether it's just KyoAni's production scheduling being so truncated nowadays that they really can't put that much effort into individual works so it kinda limits what Takemoto can do.

I'm also curious that because this isn't one of KyoAni's own projects now, they wouldn't really put their full efforts behind it compared to say Free!!! or something. That said, I really should wait before saying that though as I imagine animating the crowds at Amagi will probably be hard as fuck.

Does Monster
end on a big cliffhanger? I heard that it does.

I was considering watching it but if that's how it's gonna be like I don't know if I want to.

Like, I don't want to
watch 70 episodes only to have a cliffhanger ending that will probably never be resolved.

World Trigger 2

Toei really needs to pick up more anime where two characters talk in the middle of empty parks as their anime almost look decent at those moments when they only need to animate 1 or 2 things at a time. It's hilarious how a background of people will stand in places for minutes at a time as exposition goes on and on.

wonzo

Banned
Frankly, I'd probably be better off if I let wonzo select all my viewing material.
japantengupartymaster.png

Honestly I'm not sure if it's more Takemoto or whether it's just KyoAni's production scheduling being so truncated nowadays that they really can't put that much effort into individual works so it kinda limits what Takemoto can do.

I'm also curious that because this isn't one of KyoAni's own projects now, they wouldn't really put their full efforts behind it compared to say Free!!! or something. That said, I really should wait before saying that though as I imagine animating the crowds at Amagi will probably be hard as fuck.
dw im sure the crowds will mostly be cg

Gazoinks

Does Monster

I was considering watching it but if that's how it's gonna be like I don't know if I want to.

Like, I don't want to
watch 70 episodes only to have a cliffhanger ending that will probably never be resolved.
Not really. The ending's a bit open and could be interpreted in a couple of different ways, but it conclusively ends.

Grisaia no Kajitsu 2

Practically nothing happened in this episode. anything that happened in terms of character development really could've been done in 5 mins. After the ending of Ep 1, I expected something much more unsettling.

Branduil

Does Monster

Like, I don't want to

I'm guessing the people who say that also say the series is full of "filler."

Jarmel

Banned
Monster-7
oscarBig.jpg

Lose your career trying to save a kid's life, kid turns out to be a serial killer. Try to save the sister's life, get reporter friend killed and you wanted for murder.

Welp.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
What I've watched recently.

Cross Ange 1

A princess goes from being a princess to being a dirty poor TERRIBLE!

Amagi Brilliant Park 1

Pretty fun, not sure if I'll continue watching this week to week though, may let it build up as it feels like it'll be pretty slow. Also wtf at putting on knee socks first?

Terra Formars 1-3

I know what this is about, I know the racism involved. Me and my group of friends are watching this because we need to know how ridiculous it gets. The censorship makes me laugh though, they aren't even trying anymore.

Nadia of the Blue Water

This is an oldskool anime, absolutely love it so far. So fresh and energetic. Only about 5 or 6 episodes in. But lovely characters and a mystery that was solved already with the sea creatures. The only thing confusing me is airplanes don't exist yet so they are amazed by dude's creation yet Team Rocket has this super advanced all terrain tank.

edit:

Oops one more I forgot:

Seven Deadly Sins 1

I read the manga, so I know what's going on. I watched the first episode to hear some of the voices. Hawk's voice is so adorable! :3

I'm guessing the people who say that also say the series is full of "filler."

I'm all right with filler as long as the characters are likeable enough! I just don't want
an ending where nothing is resolved! I'm fine with things that are open-ended and are meant to be interpreted. Just...within a certain degree of acceptance, is all.

Celestial Method - 1

Oh my goodness this was adorable. But seriously though, what's the deal with that thing in the sky? Reminds me of that thing from the world of Tales of Graces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom