• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

InouBattle 02

Dammit, light novels can be interesting. Otaku culture and genres shouldn't be something to "overcome". Anime can "feel [like] anime" and be good at the same time. I'm not sure if this is the best show to start off with that argument, but there's a lot in this episode that I liked. That so much of it revolves around wordplay. English language works can too, but Japanese as a language is more suited to it with their multiple alphabets, and Jurai's reasoning, being from the mind of someone who has seen a lot of anime, was one that makes sense.

Like, one of my favorite shows right now involves simple wordplay like taking a character from everyone's names, and matching up character counts and making that represent something can be taken as seriously as anything else. Jurai's a dork, and may not be as "cool" as other protagonists, but I like that he can be so open with his emotions and his weaknesses. More characters need to be. It's also this episode that made me realize where the show stands.

The closest spiritual brother of this show isn't Chu2Koi. It's works like Jinsei or SeiZon or GJ Bu. Only with the added wrinkle of supernatural powers. And I like that particular combination of things. Mirei is also the second best Mirei on TV right now. Out of two. It's not a very tough category. The scene with Chifuyu and the squirrel was pretty cute, too.

Clov

The Tale of Princess Kaguya is supposedly opening this weekend in America, but it seems like it's only showing in a single theater in New York. Thanks Gkids.

Can't find it playing anywhere this weekend in Ontario either. Maybe if I'm lucky the local art-house theater near me will get it; they managed to get The Wind Rises while the bigger chains passed up on it, so...

Tenumi

Banned
Digimon Tamers: 02

OLaXEiY.jpg

First things first, I doubt I'll be able to do impressions of every episode. 50 episodes is quite a lot of work, even for a kids show.

Overall, this episode was mostly comedy with Guilmon and giving peeks of the other two major tamers of the series. The episode ends, however, with Renamon attacking Guilmon and challenging the duo to a fight.

Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji - 02

Oh no poor Erika ;_; she falls for someone else but he's only doing it to get revenge on Sata. Douchebag. I thought this was going to evolve into Erika having to stealth date Kimura throughout the show, but that ended rather quickly.
Enjoying this more than I thought I would. She needs to stop being so innocent so don't I get too invested

Jex

My devil's advocate theory is that more than intentional misogyny, the most polemic bad stuff is just a product of

I think people also miss the 'genre work' that Cross Ange is largely a part of. It's not a part of the mecha genre, but instead the "Women In Prison" exploitation film genre. Elements of said genre include:

Strip searches, group shower scenes, cat-fights, lesbianism, rape, sexual slavery, bondage, whipping, degradation, and beatings, torture, cruelty.

Plot points include:

• an innocent girl (or group) being sent to a penitentiary or reform school run by a male or lesbian warden (who may also run an inmate prostitution ring)
  • group strip searches
  • lesbian sex scenes between prisoners and the guards, or the female prisoners being raped (or forced into prostitution) by male guards
  • female prisoners being sentenced to hard labor (such as scrubbing floors or digging dirt holes while nude)
  • fights between the prisoners (sometimes in the shower)
  • beatings and punishment by guards
  • female prisoners being sprayed by a firehose
Sound familiar? Cross Ange is basically Women in Prison x mecha, with very little actual mecha so far.

Barakamon 11

Handa finally gets to apologize.

He's much calmer and more compassionate, but then again... he did
leave the island withou saying goodbye...
And he makes his mother cry. At least that's because she misinterpreted the situation though.

Hey I watchbetted you Baccano and that one is amazing!
I meant with Mike. The shows I watch with you I can recommend to others in good concious.
While I can't guarantee anything, I'm sure I can find something good for you to watch!
I was talking to cajunator a while back about starting one but he's seen everything I think is worth watching. The idea of it isn't completely dead to me but no more bad animu. If I'm going to watch something terrible I'll make Mike watch along side with me.

Mature

I don't do watchbets. I don't believe in wasting time watching something I don't want to, and I don't believe in forcing people to watch stuff they don't want to. But if anyone is looking for recommendations of obscure shows or stuff people just don't generally talk about but I feel are interesting and unique enough to be worth a try, I'm always willing to offer suggestions!

For example, I still don't think there are enough people here who have watched Fantastic Children.
I feel really bad about Fantastic Children. I watched a handful of episodes and loved it, but got distracted and never saw any further. Gotta make sure to get back to it at some point.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya is supposedly opening this weekend in America, but it seems like it's only showing in a single theater in New York. Thanks Gkids.
Boo!

If you say it this way, G Gundam's way of deciding leadership is just as bad or worse than Doremi's.

"The leader of the entire Earth Sphere is determined on a fighting tournament that also causes destruction to the world. The winner of the tournament isn't necessarily even the one who becomes leader, the head of state does and they don't even need to take part."

Hey, I think G Gundam is amazing, but you can't deny that the system has some problems! I mean,
they even acknowledged that at the end of the show.

But if anyone is looking for recommendations of obscure shows or stuff people just don't generally talk about but I feel are interesting and unique enough to be worth a try, I'm always willing to offer suggestions!

For example, I still don't think there are enough people here who have watched Fantastic Children.

Well, if you want a recommendation from me, I think that there's not enough people who watch Black Jack (Slice-of-Life medical drama anime based on the manga written by Osamu Tezuka). I actually watchbetted with Hito for that show in exchange for me watching Doremi.

But in hindsight, I think I'll refrain from offering that up for watchbets in the future. Mostly because show itself is entirely episodic, with it having its ups and downs. So it would have made more sense just to recommend a few episodes that I felt really stood out from the show.

Like say, the great episodes are the ones where the focus is on the main character. The bad episodes are the ones that focus mostly on his sidekick.

mankoto

Grisaia no Kijitsu 2
Some animation sequences look like they were pulled straight out of the visual novel.

Sort of disappointed that nothing happens this episode outside of a truce (if you can call it that) since at the end of the last, it looked like some were getting prepared for something. The fact that everyone was out besides Sakaki. Granted she could've been waiting but, I don't know. I'll be disappointed if this turns into another Riddle Story of Devil partway through.

comments like this mean you don't really know anything about the "fate universe"
Did you mean : "Fate multi-verse" ?

I don't do watchbets. I don't believe in wasting time watching something I don't want to, and I don't believe in forcing people to watch stuff they don't want to. But if anyone is looking for recommendations of obscure shows or stuff people just don't generally talk about but I feel are interesting and unique enough to be worth a try, I'm always willing to offer suggestions!

It's a splendid show . I would recommand it too.

You're just mad cause
Homura saved everything.
*Nods
What's the deal with bad Japanese metal and OPs this season?

Is it really different than before ? i honnestly can't tell.

Btooom! 2

Well, that was a pretty dark episode.

Shingeki no Bahamut 2

I love this show already. It's so damn beautiful. The art is amazing, the animation is great, and the music is good (except for the crap in the OP). The only low this episode was the CG, which reminded me of the Berserk films. Actually, this show in general reminds me of Berserk.

I'm also pretty glad Amira isn't some no personality, one-dimensional character. She has nice air of innocence and curiosity about her as well. And in terms of anime characters, she's really quite beautiful, indeed. Cutest thing ever when faded.

Favaro is still a lying jerk, and even though I like him as a protag, I hope he gets put in his place soon. Also, poor Prince Dandy. Dude stay losing.

But Database is the best....
Database is turrible.

Shingeki no Bahamut - 02

That was some solid bit of characterization. All three of the main cast got more personality (Kaiser only little with his low screentime) and I'm damn glad Favaro isn't just your generic good guy as Jexhius put it already.

Animation quality is still quite good although there's a bunch of ugly CGI and somehow the dance scene managed to look great but at the same time a bit odd and jerky too.

I don't think I'm really caring about the bigger story arc yet but that's probably because I hardly know what that's going to be. Looks like we'll get a long adventure ending in some dragon resurrection or s.th. similar. Either way, so far I'm just glad we get the characters established properly.

PS: Japanese writers sure love their Jeanne d'Arc huh?

Grisaia - 02

All hell didn't break loose as one would think after the last episode PV. I learned if you don't feed newly born crawfish with food that does not contain carotene, they turn blue in about a month.
"Principal, someone is trying to kill me, how do I deal with it?" "lol figure it out on your own" Atleast he is bonding with the girls, well, some of them.
I still have no idea what this is supposed to be. But I am curious.

Branduil

Rage of Bahamut 2

Good show. I hope it can maintain its strong characterization and sense of adventure even as the plot thickens with complexity. It's not as good looking as the first episode, but it's still well above average. Really liked the dance sequence.

This episode also gets the slapkuga seal of approval.

Oh yeah, the Sayo Yaamoto directed ED for Bahamut is pretty good although I'm not really in love with the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvkXodHrIIk

It's certainly up there with Sayo Yamamoto other recent ED's like Attack on Titan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWUCdTngVjk

and Fujiko OH GOD NSFW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbJUjfKS3IU

She's certainly been sticking to one visual style for all three shows.

Yeah, I suspected that was her. Some really nice visuals there. Not a fan of the OP in comparison, especially with that bad metal song.

cajunator

Banned
Grisaia - 02

All hell didn't break loose as one would think after the last episode PV. I learned if you don't feed newly born crawfish with food that does not contain carotene, they turn blue in about a month.
"Principal, someone is trying to kill me, how do I deal with it?" "lol figure it out on your own" Atleast he is bonding with the girls, well, some of them.
I still have no idea what this is supposed to be. But I am curious.

I live in a place where I see thousands of live crawfish every year but I have never ever seen a blue one.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de 02
This started with ten minutes of kanji jokes. I don't know what happens after that.

Mr.Jeff

I was talking to cajunator a while back about starting one but he's seen everything I think is worth watching. The idea of it isn't completely dead to be but no more bad animu. If I'm going to watch something terrible I'll make Mike watch along side with me.
Well if I were going to offer anything I would either make it 3 for 3 and offer Mushishi or since you've watched a number of off-beat shows like The Tatami Galaxy and Ping Pong, perhaps Trapeze instead since it's a worthwhile show that doesn't get nearly enough love.

F/SN UBW is awesome so far. I wonder if it will stay 50 minutes each episode going forward. I guess not but man that was a great first 2 eps.

Dat budget

cajunator

Banned
I meant with Mike. The shows I watch with you I can recommend to others in good concious.

I was talking to cajunator a while back about starting one but he's seen everything I think is worth watching. The idea of it isn't completely dead to be but no more bad animu. If I'm going to watch something terrible I'll make Mike watch along side with me.

I doubt Ive seen EVERYTHING you find acceptable. there has to be something.

Barakamon 12

Poor violent mom...

Handa has learned some things and some things stay the same.

Funny, heartwarming and interesting. It's the feel-good anime of the year. Don't think there's any character here I don't like.

Both the OP and the ED fits the show.

Any bad things? Hm... It does romanticize the country/island life a tad bit too much and there's that sea slug thing...

But all in all 4.5/5 pieces of calligraphy:
4tu42Yz.png
4tu42Yz.png
4tu42Yz.png
4tu42Yz.png
ggD7XRJ.png

Season 2 when?

Bravoexo

Nanatsu no Taizai Ep 2

Wow, very good manga to anime translation. Visually and so far, the voice actors for Melodias and Hawk are what I would call spot on...

VRMN

You know what...when a show has me laughing out loud for half the runtime, it's got to be doing something right. Poor Mirei, but...man that was some good misunderstanding comedy. Didn't get too dramatic with it, resolved nicely...really a very solid second episode. Enjoying this at least one tier over its quality level.

Oh yeah, the Sayo Yaamoto directed ED for Bahamut is pretty good although I'm not really in love with the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvkXodHrIIk

It's certainly up there with Sayo Yamamoto other recent ED's like Attack on Titan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWUCdTngVjk

and Fujiko OH GOD NSFW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbJUjfKS3IU

She's certainly been sticking to one visual style for all three shows.
I love her style. It looks great. And the song in that Lupin video is really good. Hmmm, I don't think I've watched Lupin before outside of an episode or two when (I think) it was on Cartoon Network/Toonami or some channel a long time ago.

Shingeki no Kyo-Bahamut - Genesis 02

Omg the fucking OP. It's like...perfect. I dunno why, but it is.

This episode confirms the first wasn't lightning in a bottle, although the animation quality wasn't as good. Amira betrayed my expectations by gaining a lot more personality, and Favaro is an awesome MC.
Some off looking CG aside, show still looks good and retained it's charm.
Also they did the same joke twice and I laughed both times

Akame ga Kill! Theater 15

Justice I hate you so much but you kinda moe sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom