• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

Ad5DFwJ.gif

I watched a show recently called Niea_7. It's a show directed by Tomokazu Tokoro, best known for directing Haibane Renmei and features Character Designs from Yoshitoshi Abe himself and he's also credited as the Original Creator! This is unlike either of their previous works however.

This a slice of life show that revolves around a schoolgirl who juggles multiple jobs in order to afford to eat while she resides in a small room above a small, old fashioned bathhouse. She lives a modest life and comes across as pretty normal, however she happens to have a guest living with her...and it’s an alien! And a freeloading one no less!

The show is really funny and got audible laughs out of me at times and deals with the dynamic of the two main characters really well. The show tries to explore more emotional plot points but ultimately always finds its way back to the heart of the show which is weird humour. The show constantly brings things out of left field but never feels chaotic or hard to follow. Funnily enough the show is really chill and relaxing with its art style and choice of music.

The music by the way is bloody awesome! Original tracks like Paradise Branch and Olomana Blues really bring fourth an atmosphere that's both relaxing and intimate. The pace of the show is really soothing at times but definitely gets whacky at others. Ultimately the show is fun and suitable for all ages and doesn’t demand too much from its viewers but both looks and sounds awesome and relaxing.

Really the show is fun, as long you aren't expecting something more than a show that is funny and relaxing above everything else, like a stroll down memory lane. Great music, great atmosphere and funny characters that aren't exploited enough and no true resolution is what this is, but that's fine because the show is great while it lasts during its 13 episode run.

The show never hits the punches it feels like it so often telegraphs with its more emotional bits, hints at the back story and such however I feel that at the end of it all, all is good at the Enohana Bathhouse.

A charming, fun show that is both endearing and relaxing. Earnest in its goals, it just wants to make its audience laugh and have fun.

I might watch Haibane Renmei soon.

I watched a show recently called Niea_7. It's a show directed by Tomokazu Tokoro, best known for directing Haibane Renmei and features Character Designs from Yoshitoshi Abe himself and he's also credited as the Original Creator! This is unlike either of their previous works however.

I rather liked some of Niea_7, but I recall being rather annoyed that it teased an emotional climax that it completely failed to deliver on.

You should definitely watch Haibane Renmei, though. Now that's a great show.

javac

I rather liked some of Niea_7, but I recall being rather annoyed that it teased an emotional climax that it completely failed to deliver on.

You should definitely watch Haibane Renmei, though. Now that's a great show.

Yeah I was taken aback at the ending when it happened, I was silent for a second but then just cracked up and laughed along with the show. It just felt honest in its goals. It did hint at a more emotionally driven show with Mayuko being a really cool character, but ultimate the show was fun and I can't fault it.

Been meaning to watch Haibane Renmei for years and years but can never muster up the intent to put it on, but I'll watch it soon!

Shi Gatsu Wa Kimi no Uso 2

Loving the art direction but there are a lot of still frames. The music is good, however. I've pre-read the manga so I love seeing all the manga panels become animated and in color. One of my favorite shows this season for sure.

Branduil

Shirobako 2

Wow, that was even better than the first episode. I love how this episode helps you understand the enthusiasm that pushes people in the anime industry to wreck themselves making dumb moe anime. It was really funny, yet believable and inspiring at the same time. Based Mizushima.

Psycho-Pass 2 - 02

Thanks to the excellent OP (maybe my favorite one this season) I gave it another try but I'm done now. How incredible incompetent can the fucking police or what you wanna call them be. Contrivances left and right to further the plot along, no thank you.

They arrest someone who then manages to get his crime coefficient way down low while in custody and that doesn't bother them a lot? He somehow even manages to grab a knife and injure an inspector? He wasn't even in handcuffs or what?

I mean the guy even outright tells them there's another person responsible for all that shit but Mrs. Incompetence is certain he's just bullshitting...

The guy's also got a near-SAO-level condition of crazy-face.

Midonin

Yuyuyu 01

This show is not Madoka in tone, direction or even basic concept. It's Yuna Yuki. They may call them "Heroes", but these are magical girls, with the cover of a school club to hide their activities. A kind of Yuna Magical Girl Club, one could say. I mean that not as an insult, merely that when it comes to storytelling, there's no idea that's not worth trying twice. The magical app may date the show, but not really when DokiPre just did the same thing last year.

The scenery where they fought was beautiful, and the whole thing strikes me as a cross between Rinne no Lagrange meets Madoka. That Vertex looked at least kinda freaky. The school club aspects aren't a drag on it, and shouldn't be. It's anime being anime because it wants to be anime. Because it likes to be anime. While Twintail is my #1 for its Sentai influence, Yuyuyu made a very strong first impression. As Heartcatch has shown, you don't need to totally flip the table to make magical girls feel new. You just need decorate it nicely and serve a nice meal and have some interesting people to talk over dinner with.

This metaphor may have gotten off track.

mankoto

Shirobako 2
I really like this a lot. The entire second half really shines here. If the director just stayed unsure of himself and didn't want to change things, the series probably would've been destroyed since he wouldn't care for it. But, the fact that he was able to get the team to essentially start from the ground up again on certain aspects while in the middle of production and have them enthusiastic about it was marvelous.

Shirobako 2
ibmVlILgIJIwTA.jpg
Sounds like a Light Novel

Ryuuroden

Psycho-Pass 2 - 02

Thanks to the excellent OP (maybe my favorite one this season) I gave it another try but I'm done now. How incredible incompetent can the fucking police or what you wanna call them be. Contrivances left and right to further the plot along, no thank you.

They arrest someone who then manages to get his crime coefficient way down low while in custody and that doesn't bother them a lot? He somehow even manages to grab a knife and injure an inspector? He wasn't even in handcuffs or what?

I mean the guy even outright tells them there's another person responsible for all that shit but Mrs. Incompetence is certain he's just bullshitting...

The guy's also got a near-SAO-level condition of crazy-face.

Its because the system has taught them to not think for themselves. It's another version of North Korea. In my opinion its totally believable. Akane can't say shit cause she will be killed by the system if she reveals anything about being able to have a clear psycho-pass and be able to commit crimes. Also the system says if your pass is clear you are not a threat and people have been so conditioned that means they can't harm you they get lackadaisical like that. Did you not watch season 1 or something? You obviously do not understand the conditions of the dystopian society.

Its because the system has taught them to not think for themselves. It's another version of North Korea. In my opinion its totally believable. Akane can't say shit cause she will be killed by the system if she reveals anything about being able to have a clear psycho-pass and be able to commit crimes. Also the system says if your pass is clear you are not a threat and people have been so conditioned that means they can't harm you they get lackadaisical like that. Did you not watch season 1 or something? You obviously do not understand the conditions of the dystopian society.

And in case you have seen the first season, did you recall what they wanted to do with the anomalies?
They wanted to integrate Makishima into the Sybil system.
But this guy, they don't care about him? They care so little about him that he's able to overpower 1-2 inspectors, flee, kill a bunch of people and then get offed by Ms. Incompetence?

Besides, even being conditioned to believe the system is always right, Ms. Incompetence is still acting annoyingly stupid. She's an inspector that doesn't want to actually investigate anything. The arrested says there's another person? Nah, she doesn't care. He's got the crazy eyes after all. His hue getting clean may be a first case but eh, no big deal.

She doesn't need to be Akane, just use her brain a tad bit instead being almost something like a buttmonkey character.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

This a slice of life show that revolves around a schoolgirl who juggles multiple jobs in order to afford to eat while she resides in a small room above a small, old fashioned bathhouse. She lives a modest life and comes across as pretty normal, however she happens to have a guest living with her...and it’s an alien! And a freeloading one no less!

The show is really funny and got audible laughs out of me at times and deals with the dynamic of the two main characters really well. The show tries to explore more emotional plot points but ultimately always finds its way back to the heart of the show which is weird humour. The show constantly brings things out of left field but never feels chaotic or hard to follow. Funnily enough the show is really chill and relaxing with its art style and choice of music.

The music by the way is bloody awesome! Original tracks like Paradise Branch and Olomana Blues really bring fourth an atmosphere that's both relaxing and intimate. The pace of the show is really soothing at times but definitely gets whacky at others. Ultimately the show is fun and suitable for all ages and doesn’t demand too much from its viewers but both looks and sounds awesome and relaxing.

Really the show is fun, as long you aren't expecting something more than a show that is funny and relaxing above everything else, like a stroll down memory lane. Great music, great atmosphere and funny characters that aren't exploited enough and no true resolution is what this is, but that's fine because the show is great while it lasts during its 13 episode run.

The show never hits the punches it feels like it so often telegraphs with its more emotional bits, hints at the back story and such however I feel that at the end of it all, all is good at the Enohana Bathhouse.

A charming, fun show that is both endearing and relaxing. Earnest in its goals, it just wants to make its audience laugh and have fun.

I might watch Haibane Renmei soon.

I like this show too :D
And Haibane Renmei is great. One of my top ten anime of all time

Psycho Pass S2 - 02

I don't really see why the villain would write in english, I mean this is in nipponland right? They also managed to figure out it was english in an instant too, after hearing 'Naniiro'.
And how did the suspect managed to get to the knife in the first place, shouldn't you atleast handcuff someone who says they're hiding a bomb?

Jellyfu returns!

Midonin

Twintail 02

Do you know what the greatest strength of tokusatsu is? The ability to make people see what is, on the surface, a ridiculous concept and invest in it seriously. Samumenco demonstrated some of this by metacritically examining it, but I feel Twintail better shows it by being a direct example of that kind of weirdness that, for a tokuphile like me, is appointment TV every Saturday.

So describing this show as "ridiculous" or a "dumb harem" and stopping there, I understand it, but for me, that's underselling the series. Let the toku into your heart.

Going on, it's clear that Twoearle/Thoaurs/Tooaru/Toyozuki Shuri is not just Hiroyo Hakase, she's got a bit of Malshina in her too. And with the way things were being explained, maybe a bit of Dr. K. The villains are also a lot like Abaranger's, with the way they turn it all into a game. Mikela and Voffa regularly did the same thing, leading to their cracked-out MotWs. It's got a bit of otaku flavoring, but the heart of Super Sentai burns brightly.

And it's all about passion. Taking people's passion and tapping into it. I can completely get behind that message. Support what you love. Love what you support. I don't know how much of this is Arakawa and how much is the original LN author, but if Arakawa can sneak an Akiba ref into Outbreak Company, than this adaptation was destined for him. It's in his wheelhouse.

Unlike the Akiba, the Twintails are becoming a bit of a big deal. Sentai who are world celebrities, that should be interesting. (And if Souji is Nobuo, then Aika is definitely the Mitsuki. In color and temperament.)

No traces of irony, no snark, just genuine love. Just because something looks dumb doesn't mean it has nothing to say. Twintail has in its DNA a landmark series that's been going since the 70s. So good.

Your Lie in April 2:
This is still a very nice looking show. The animation wasn't as spectacular as the previous episode, but it was still pretty solid, and the art is pretty stunning. The overall look of the series is great, the character designs work really well, and a lot of the scenes have some very striking backgrounds. I loved the coloring on the leaves in the scene at the end of the episode. The music is, of course, excellent. That performance by Kaori was very moving, both from the music itself as well as Kousei's reactions.

The story as set up so far is looking good. While everything so far has been fairly predictable in terms of how the characters would react to the situations, I'm enjoying the story still because the characters are quite likable, and the dialogue is good. It's very believable in that way. I'm really looking forward to seeing the next episode.

Midonin

April 02

While I only went as part of a group, I was in the band in middle school. A piano and a strings section weren't among them, but I do understand the mind of the musician. Like everything else on Thursday, the show's ultimately about a form of creative expression, and Kaori's performance was pretty spectacular. Tsubaki's also pretty lovable. I'm not sure what the right amount of drama should be, that'll vary from production to production, but in some ways, I'm looking forward to it. Putting characters through trouble, when done right, can only reaffirm how strong their beliefs are. Tsubaki shouldn't go away as the music increases, though, I love my tomboy Ayaneru. Keep cheering them on!

Jex

Psycho Pass S2 - 02

I don't really see why the villain would write in english, I mean this is in nipponland right? They also managed to figure out it was english in an instant too, after hearing 'Naniiro'.
And how did the suspect managed to get to the knife in the first place, shouldn't you atleast handcuff someone who says they're hiding a bomb?

You missed the most important question - why watch PP Season 2?

javac

I don't watch PP, but I myself am not the type of person that could watch the first season and forgo the second! I need to watch them all even if its crap. Never had to face that predicament so far since I haven't watch too much but when I come to watch Durarara for example since I have the Blu-ray set, I'll watch the second season when it comes out.

Don't even know why I even got that show on Blu-ray...

Ryuuroden

And in case you have seen the first season, did you recall what they wanted to do with the anomalies?
They wanted to integrate Makishima into the Sybil system.
But this guy, they don't care about him? They care so little about him that he's able to overpower 1-2 inspectors, flee, kill a bunch of people and then get offed by Ms. Incompetence?

Besides, even being conditioned to believe the system is always right, Ms. Incompetence is still acting annoyingly stupid. She's an inspector that doesn't want to actually investigate anything. The arrested says there's another person? Nah, she doesn't care. He's got the crazy eyes after all. His hue getting clean may be a first case but eh, no big deal.

She doesn't need to be Akane, just use her brain a tad bit instead being almost something like a buttmonkey character.

Well this guy isn't like
Makishima
His hue got bad but somehow got good again. He is not
good material for the system afawk

As for Ms Incompetence, I hate her too, and think she is a stupid character but I am willing to put that aside for now till I see more. It's not like some other shows recently where every single character in the show has been a fucking unlikable bleeding rectum of annoyance (such as Aldnoah Zero) so my tolerances for shitty characters has been raised. If I can watch Aldnoah Zero I can deal with any shitty character in the world because nothing can defeat the utter shittyness of the characters in that show.

Mature

I don't watch PP, but I myself am not the type of person that could watch the first season and forgo the second! I need to watch them all even if its crap. Never had to face that predicament so far since I haven't watch too much but when I come to watch Durarara for example since I have the Blu-ray set, I'll watch the second season when it comes out.

Don't even know why I even got that show on Blu-ray...
Unlearn this nasty habit and you will probably live longer!

Which reminds me... what are those sfx used in the combat scenes? It sounds like... the human-made noises in The Wind Rises.

Yeah it's really off. Sounds like some voice actor attempting to fake fart noises with his mouth.

I assume they're trying to go for some kind of slimy smacking/squishing noise to convey the body transformation sounds resulting from soft tissue etc.

But it sounds so, so bad :| Honestly, I'm really hoping they notice that themselves sooner rather than later and fix it. I'd actually be surprised if that makes it to the BD release.

After noticing it once I can't overhear it anymore :(

edit

Gonna give that a watch.

edit2:
As for Ms Incompetence, I hate her too, and think she is a stupid character but I am willing to put that aside for now till I see more. It's not like some other shows recently where every single character in the show has been a fucking unlikable bleeding rectum of annoyance (such as Aldnoah Zero) so my tolerances for shitty characters has been raised. If I can watch Aldnoah Zero I can deal with any shitty character in the world because nothing can defeat the utter shittyness of the characters in that show.

Fair enough. I think my tolerance for PP2 is super low because I was expecting this to be some tagged on trash when I actually quite liked the first season. Wasn't hoping for much and seeing that we get this kind of characterization/plot tells me I should probably stop right now.

javac

Unlearn this nasty habit and you will probably live longer!

I'm fine! I tend to watch older stuff that so far don't really have other season etc. It gets hard when I want to jump into shows like Macross and Gundam and have no idea where to start however so I tend to just ignore them for the time being. Never actually seen a show that had another season however outside of Patlabor, not including things like DBZ and Tenchi...I don't even know which Tenchi I watched back in the day and what's up that series lol.

Midonin

Yuyuyu 02

The marketing material did a good job disguising the nature of the show. I don't think that's lying or trolling, just keeping things a secret to preserve suspense. In this age of the Internet, that's tougher than it sounds. I wasn't expecting Mimorin to transform, merely to remain the Oracle of the group. She can, but the show doesn't give her mobility, except in a Doc Ock-like way. It's a good way to handle a magical girl in a wheelchair. Her condition isn't made light of, but she can still fight as bravely as the other three. Though now that I see the battles in a weird, colored dimension and the chanting BGM, plus Mimorin's powers being a lot like Mami's, maybe the Madoka comparisons are more spot-on than I thought.

However.

The vaguely Shinto nature of everything also reminds me of the recently finished Magica Wars, but fleshed out. (Like I said, many ideas are worth trying twice.) I know that Mimori's condition has something to do with a Vertex attack, but I'm not sure of the details yet, or what else is going on. As a magical girl show, this made a pretty strong impact in its first two episodes, and I can't wait for more.

Thursdays are the best days of the week, no contest.

Gonna be the Twin-Tails! 2

This episode had me laughing at numerous points throughout. The way they've turned something ridiculous into a serious focal point and have just run with it is just amazing.

AOTY!

Yeah it's really off. Sounds like some voice actor attempting to fake fart noises with his mouth.

I assume they're trying to go for some kind of slimy smacking/squishing noise to convey the body transformation sounds resulting from soft tissue etc.

But it sounds so, so bad :| Honestly, I'm really hoping they notice that themselves sooner rather than later and fix it. I'd actually be surprised if that makes it to the BD release.

Unless there's some huge public outcry against it, I can't imagine the production team "fixing" deliberate artistic decisions.

"Assassination Classroom" Anime Student Cast Listed
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/10/16/assassination-classroom-anime-student-cast-listed

Seems almost all casts are not same as OVA?
Nagisa Shiota: Mai Fuchigami
Karma Akabane: Nobuhiko Okamoto
Kaede Kayano: Aya Suzaki
Yuuma Isogai: Ryota Ohsaka
Taiga Okajima: Ryo Naitou
Hinata Okano: Minami Tanaka
Aimi Okuda: Sayuri Yahagi
Megu Kataoka: Chie Matsuura
Yukiko Kanzaki: Satomi Satou
Kimura Masayoshi: Kawabe Shunsuke
Hinano Kurahashi: Hisako Kanemoto
Sousuke Sugaya: Eiji Miyashita
Tomohito Sugino: Yamaya Yoshitaka
Koutarou Takebayashi: Takahiro Mizushima
Ryunosuke Chiba: Junji Majima
Ryoma Terasaka: Subaru Kimura
Rio Nakamura: Minami Numakura
Kirara Hazama: Fuuko Saitou
Rinka Hayami: Shiho Kawaragi
Sumire Hara: Hino Miho
Yuzuki Fuwa: Kana Ueda
Hiroto Maehara: Shintarou Asanuma
Mimura Kouki: Shinya Takahashi
Takuya Muramatsu: Kouki Harasawa
Touka Yada: Ayaka Suwa
Taisei Yoshida: Yoshiyuki Shimozuma

So yeh looks like a lot of those body transformation sounds are made vocally and I consider them a failure considering how obviously it sounds just like that.

Kinda reminds me of a Sc2 behind the scenes section about sound effect creation. There some guy was squishing together all kinds of slimy substances (even filled a turkey or so with that) in order to get just the right stuff for Zerg creep and so forth.

I think that kind of approach would've been more appropriate here, too. Or really, I'm fine with almost every method as long as it delivers something that sounds just right.

cajunator

Banned
I've never seen Code Geass and my brother says it's awesome but I kinda spoiled the ending for myself, same with FMA:B. Oh well. Gives me more time to watch other stuff I guess :p

It really is worth your while. Whether the ending is psoiled or not, seeing it is a whole different thing!

smh

Chiyo and Nozaki were the best.

Yes. Any other claims otherwise are wrongo.

Vivi's new outfit in Chaika is great.

I like it more than blue at least.

Non non Biyori - 10

So many feels.. one of the best slice of life eps that I watched, damn.. simplicity can be so strong.

NNB is one of the best slice of life shows but certainly one of my favorite in recent years.

Tenumi

Banned

I only speak for myself, but I'm watching it because I want to. I enjoyed the first season. Was it perfect? No, not at all. But I enjoyed it enough that I would easily choose to watch the second season as well.

This kind of thing is hurting AnimeGAF. There are several people who want to be here and contribute, but don't because they get shot down and ridiculed because their opinion doesn't match the majority. I can tell you that I've held back from posting impressions on shows that I enjoyed simply because I don't hold the majority's opinion.

Sagebu 1-5

I... don't think I really enjoy this show. I just don't really find it consistently funny. There's the occasional decent gag, Platy seems funny whenever he makes an appearance, but overall the humor seems really forced. Like, I sometimes wonder if that narrator was always there, or if he was added in late because they needed to inform the viewers when they make a joke so you remember to laugh. Ultimately, this show feels like a mix of YuruYuri and C3bu, just not as good as either (yes, I think C3bu is a better show). I'll probably keep watching it just because I have nothing better to do while I work from home today and I don't want to start something new midway through my workday.

javac

It really is worth your while. Whether the ending is psoiled or not, seeing it is a whole different thing!

Maybe, something about the show just isn't resonating with me. Same thing happened with Baccano. Watched half of the first episode and turned it off. No idea why. Gonna watch the Gurren Lagann box-set next week and I'll see where I go from there. Think I may watch Boogiepop Phantom next, that looks like my cup of tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom