• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saudades

It's hard to get banned despite what people say. Just don't be dumb.
I only hang out here and actively avoid fanservice-y anime nowadays so I guess I'm good? (with the exception of Grisaia this season since I read the VN and wanna see if they can adapt the humor).
Gunbuster & Diebuster.
I was on ep 2 of Gunbuster before school start and I kinda trail off. Hmm, I always thought it was more on the epic space mecha side of things, rather than tearjerking. Will continue, thanks.

gdgd Fairies 10

YGv5n7E.jpg

Not a GAFfer then.

What to do if the world ends the day after the day after tomorrow and there's old pranks with a new twist and new pranks on an old man.

Finally made it to AnimeGaf! Been lurking for 2 years and finally got an university email to register. Ironically because of uni work I probably won't be able to post here as regularly as I want to
and I figure you guys don't want a daily reminder that Despera is dead anyway
I've got a lot of good anime recommendations from here over the years, many thanks for that. On that subject can you guys recommend me some sad/tearjerking anime? I'm kinda burnout on anime atm and want to be passionate again. I never cry watching anime but Millennium Actress was the one that got the closest to get me to. Gundam 0080, Texhnolyze and Tsuiokuhen were good gut-punches too.

N.H.K. ni Youkoso!

Story about a NEET/hikokomori undergoing a journey to improve himself and be integrated into society but filled with dark/depressing shit and said protagonist continuously screwing up. "Wake-Up Call the Anime," really damn good even if the ending leaves the audience wanting more.

Madoka Magika

The dark reality of becoming a magical girl.

Anohana

Sad/Sweet 11/12 (can't recall accurately) episode anime dealing with a group of friends getting over the death of a childhood friend that they shared.

Akame ga Kill - 16

Pretty nuts that Lil Akame can keep whole of nights raid busy with her dead puppies, imagine if the rest of the Jaegers were there
Entertaining episode throughout, not a dull moment. Suu is proving to be quite the recruitment. Leone could use a hand, I have a feeling she's not going to survive for long in that condition.

Finally made it to AnimeGaf!
Welcome!

F/SN:UBW 02

No Taiga, no "Senpai !" Sakura, almost no Ilya. Best episode yet.

Well it wasn't exactly the most riveting 20 minutes but Kirei's new atrocious haircut bothered me much more then the info dump. Half the reason I'm watching the show is making sense of just (F/Z spoilers)
what in the fuck happened at the end in the prequel.
So I will take every nugget of Grail info I can get. I don't think we ever learned in F/Z that the previous three Holy Grail Wars had no winner. (How does that work anyway ?) The lack of any info about previous war always bothered me so at least they're addressing it here.

Now that I think of it, I don't think Saber ( F/Z spoilers)
ever met Kirei in F/Z. But surely she heard his name thrown around ? You'd think she wouldn't leave Shirou with him alone.

Most of the answers you're looking for is addressed in the Heaven's Feel route of F/SN which at best is also left vague and something to wrap your head around. But you are correct that
in F/Z there was no mention of there being no winner previous Holy Grail Wars.

As for what happened in the ending of F/Z I don't know what you're exactly asking so I'll give a brief sypnosis:

Kiritsugu in obtaining the Holy Grail found out that the Holy Grail couldn't perform the miracle he asked, IE saving the world, atleast not in a way he wanted it to be. So he used Saber instead to destroy it. However, this destruction resulted in the disaster/fire which resulted in the deaths of many. Kiritsugu, already on the verge of being broken due to Grail's avatar fucking with him, was then broken only to be "saved" by finding a survivor, this being Shirou.

Stulaw

Detroit Metal City 1-12

Watched the whole thing over the weekend, it was great, I might have to read the manga and try and watch the Live action film. Also, Amai Koibito is stuck in my head.

Saudades

F/SN:UBW 02
Now that I think of it, I don't think Saber ( F/Z spoilers)
ever met Kirei in F/Z. But surely she heard his name thrown around ? You'd think she wouldn't leave Shirou with him alone.
I think it's because the Church is neutral ground? Though (FSN general spoiler)
every version of Fate anime has shown the opposite.
N.H.K. ni Youkoso!

Madoka Magika

Anohana
I've read the original LN of NHK (it has a Yoshitoshi ABe-drawn cover!) and was kinda ambivalent about it, wonder if it's any different from the anime. Madoka I've watched and really liked. My thoughts on Anohana is posted on the previous page i.e not very positive. Thanks anyway!
Thank you!

Hanayamata 11

Well... That would have been interesting...

So, Hana's mother comes to visit, there's bad food and even more drama. Why couldn't
she have stayed with her dad though since he's still gonna be in Japan for a while :p

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - Episode 1

Let the watchbet resume!

They really aren't holding back any punches in this one. Streight away and they put Nanoha in the middle of something big again, she really can't catch a break!

The battle was great fun and shows how much better Nanoha is at being a mage since we last left off.

What a great start to the series!

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - Episode 1

Let the watchbet resume!

They really aren't holding back any punches in this one. Streight away and they put Nanoha in the middle of something big again, she really can't catch a break!

The battle was great fun and shows how much better Nanoha is at being a mage since we last left off.

What a great start to the series!

And it's not going to stop any time soon. =D

Midonin

Someday's Dreamers 01-03

This feels like something that could be live action. I know there's already a movie based on the same material, and while I don't watch live action stuff that's not toku very often, it may be a fun experiment to compare the two. This is very bureaucratic take on magic, and making something so mundane and studied until it's treated like that could (and has *sideglance*) result in it being dull, this show...

...does not. Because an interesting world is for the guidebooks, but interesting characters are for the storybooks. Yume's mage apprenticeship still maintains very human motivations for wanting to do magic. Love, fear, second-guessing oneself. Even with all the government instructional videos, magic still feels... well, magical. Not an easy feat.

I like the OP and ED, very peaceful. Also more male chests than I was expecting in episode one. It's a unique show based on these first three episodes, and Yume being voiced by someone who was a live actor before becoming a VA lends her voice a unique tone.

Anime really can be so many things.

phaze

I only hang out here and actively avoid fanservice-y anime nowadays so I guess I'm good? (with the exception of Grisaia this season since I read the VN and wanna see if they can adapt the humor).

I was on ep 2 of Gunbuster before school start and I kinda trail off. Hmm, I always thought it was more on the epic space mecha side of things, rather than tearjerking. Will continue, thanks.

I would say it's both. I don't want to oversell it as it works differently for everyone but Diebuster moved my like no other show/movie/whatever before or after. I don't think the first half of Gunbuster is very good but it grows into something much better and becomes downright glorious by the end.

Most of the answers you're looking for is addressed in the Heaven's Feel route of F/SN which at best is also left vague and something to wrap your head around. But you are correct that
in F/Z there was no mention of there being no winner previous Holy Grail Wars.

As for what happened in the ending of F/Z I don't know what you're exactly asking so I'll give a brief sypnosis:

Kiritsugu in obtaining the Holy Grail found out that the Holy Grail couldn't perform the miracle he asked, IE saving the world, atleast not in a way he wanted it to be. So he used Saber instead to destroy it. However, this destruction resulted in the disaster/fire which resulted in the deaths of many. Kiritsugu, already on the verge of being broken due to Grail's avatar fucking with him, was then broken only to be "saved" by finding a survivor, this being Shirou.

I thought it was implied that the fire was Kirei's wish ?

Anyhow I'd have to rewatch it as my memory is fuzzy but from what I remember these were more or less things I wanted explained.

- Why didn't the Grail wait for the conclusion to Kirei/Kiritsugu duel ? I get that this Angra whoever guy has his own sinister goals but why even bother with Holy Grail War if he can just pick whoever it wants at random.

- The whole Kirei rises from dead, Gilga gets to stay on in this world deal. If the fire was not the result of Saber's attack that's like three wishes they got granted. Poor Kiritsugu got nothing.

- Well some facts Angra and the truth behind the Grail would be nice. It came completely out of the blue and was kept as vague as possible.

Man I did hope UBW would answer some of those. Having to wait for HF is a bummer.

I think it's because the Church is neutral ground? Though (FSN general spoiler)
every version of Fate anime has shown the opposite.

Oh yeah I suppose. Though Archer at least kept watch on the roof.

Fate/Stay Night - 2

Episode pretty much just consisted of infodump. Though now it seems we're now going to
be officially introduced to Illya now. I wonder if she already knows about Shirou being the adopted son of Kiritsugu, her former father? She probably does, considering why she called him "Onii-chan" in the previous episode. Should be interesting to see how that plays out.

Hattori

Banned
Inou Battle 1-2
The character designs are still very bland but everything else is surprisingly good. Very enjoyable and likable characters so far.

3b196f6anve0w.jpg

This episode reminds everyone why Mido is such a great character.

Guy can ride with the best of them and more.

All because he's just that good.

That way he moves and the creepy sound effects that accompany him, just helps to add to his appeal.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - Episode 2

The Knights of Belka!?
Dare I mention Ace Combat for the second time today in this thread!?

The action doesn't stop in the last episode either it just keeps going! I can't remember the last time I've seen opening episodes this action packed. It's absolutely incredible.

Sailor Moon Crystal 8

Holy crap she just kissed him outright! I don't think that's even happened yet in the original series yet! Overall very enjoyable episode Minako has more of a personality in this one episode then in all of the original series. I really am in love with this pacing and action scenes that aren't just stock footage a thons. Great episode

I would say it's both. I don't want to oversell it as it works differently for everyone but Diebuster moved my like no other show/movie/whatever before or after. I don't think the first half of Gunbuster is very good but it grows into something much better and becomes downright glorious by the end.

I thought it was implied that the fire was Kirei's wish ?

Anyhow I'd have to rewatch it as my memory is fuzzy but from what I remember these were more or less things I wanted explained.

- Why didn't the Grail wait for the conclusion to Kirei/Kiritsugu duel ? I get that this Angra whoever guy has his own sinister goals but why even bother with Holy Grail War if he can just pick whoever it wants at random.

- The whole Kirei rises from dead, Gilga gets to stay on in this world deal. If the fire was not the result of Saber's attack that's like three wishes they got granted. Poor Kiritsugu got nothing.

- Well some facts Angra and the truth behind the Grail would be nice. It came completely out of the blue and was kept as vague as possible.

Man I did hope UBW would answer some of those. Having to wait for HF is a bummer.

Oh yeah I suppose. Though Archer at least kept watch on the roof.

I say that most of is answered (vaguely) in Heaven's Feel because that's the route in F/SN where
Angra Manyu manifests in the actual Holy Grail War

Since you already know about
Angra Manyu
I can reveal a bit more haha:

- Essentially Angra Manyu is an illegal servant summoned in a previous Holy Grail War (second I think) outside of the known classes. Regardless of his legal status he was still a servant and thus such when the war ended he was sucked back into the Holy Grail thus he was able to corrupt it. What Kiritsugu saw was the Holy Grail under the influence of Angra Manyu, thus he wtfpwned it with Saber.

- Kirei and Gilgamesh were able to survive because they were "reborn" via the tainted Holy Grail (all that blood man) as they are similar in nature to Angra Manyu. Said fire was due to the Holy Grail being destroyed because of Angra Manyu, IE he's still gonna destroy shit if to a lesser degree.

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 03

P3MC is kind of a dick.
And Jouji Nakata appears but I got tired of him yesterday hearing him blab on about nothing while walking in a circle for fifteen minutes

Akame ga Kill! 16

9DCRbDg.jpg

An army of Hokuto no Ken made-to-slaughter mooks! Surely that will stop Esdeath for more then 5 minutes what an amazing plan

More examples of "MURASAME IS USELESS BECAUSE X"
The one hit kill weapon kind of sucks if it can be nullified so easily.
Next episode should be gooood
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mr.Jeff

Time of Eve - Movie

It's been a long while since I saw the original series and most especially since it was cut into individual episodes but the movie does a nice job of adding in a few more touches about the underlying tensions from the ethics committee and social norms of human and robot interaction.
Seeing it all together like that makes it seem like quite a quick pace of progression though especially when there's no indication of how much time has passed. I guess one of the nice things about the original release, albeit this was due to production, was the gap between episodes provided a nice enforced time separation.

The ending, I don't really remember having problems with it at the time but it almost feels like it trails off abruptly. It's still a satisfying conclusion although the veiled resolution about Nagi and presumably the creators of androids was a bit weak.

Overall though, these are minor complaints and it's still a fantastic film which is well worth anyone's time.

jgminto

G Gundam 42-44

This is too much to bear. I can't take all of this sadness.
If Sai Saichi, Argo, Chibodee and George don't pull through I'll probably break down in sadness. The revelation of what really happened with the Ultimate/Devil Gundam was surprising but I knew something was off for quite a while.

G Gundam 42-44

This is too much to bear. I can't take all of this sadness.
If Sai Saichi, Argo, Chibodee and George don't pull through I'll probably break down in sadness. The revelation of what really happened with the Ultimate/Devil Gundam was surprising but I knew something was off for quite a while.

Get ready for one of the greatest fights in anime.

Tribe Cool Crew Episode 4
Why they treat Kumo that way, he looks rather charming/cute with his tooth even and nearly permanent scowl, not mean or unwelcoming :(

Yuzu and Haneru's imaginations are perfect for each other, everytime I couldnt stop laughing, I hope they keep them coming, the more the merrier.

I didnt know people thought its hard to move the head side to side like that.

Thoraxes

Klein: Thoraxes
Silica: TUSR
Kayaba: macodin
I'm okay with this.

Finalow is Sachi because he died the most.

Yeah it started out with promise and I like the theme of the story but then...I don't know. The sobfest at the end was more awkward than tear-inducing for me. I guess they tried too hard to make me cry and it backfired.
You'll do just fine.
Kanno for Macross again please, with Warsaw Philharmonic. Oh and the pop songs are fine too I guess.

I really liked all the work she did on the whole thing. From the OST to the pop music, Kanno delivered.

Cross Ange 1-3

HrMJEsF.jpg
el0LFng.jpg

I had to limit myself to two images per episode but it was really hard to choose

Yep. This is just Girls in Prison with mechs and robots but not really so they can focus on the lesbians and sexploitation
But I was drawn into it. My rampant curiosity and the posts in this thread combined drove me to watching it. Damn you people, but damn myself more.

This empire's system seems really flawed. They only have slaves (that they don't even treat as people) that can't use magic fight for them? And the only ones keeping them in check are other slaves and one normal person? Wait why are non-magic users called "Norma" anyway when that's not the Norm
Ange is also a moron or in the most complete utter denial I've ever seen. I don't even know why I'm trying to think on this because the writers didn't either

I think I'd be better serviced watching Gundam SEED or Valvrave S2 but I think I'm nice and comfortable(?) as I am now, I'll keep watching because I'm a bad person and I need to see the bad things to reaffirm it
At least theres the OP.
I think I'm going to watch some Sunred to cheer me up from Sunrise.

3b196f6anve0w.jpg

This episode reminds everyone why Mido is such a great character.

Guy can ride with the best of them and more.

All because he's just that good.

That way he moves and the creepy sound effects that accompany him, just helps to add to his appeal.
Guy is so crazy. Can't wait until his figure is released next year.

Space Brothers 98:
This episode kept jumping around in time, which was a little confusing and disorienting at first, but it worked well in the end for conveying Mutta's own state of mind at the time. There's a real sense of powerlessness and inability to do anything about Hibito's situation. The flashbacks to young Mutta/Hibito were also pretty good. The whole situation is really screwed up all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom