• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

co1onel

I got one but haven't updated that since forever. Just now added some stuff I'm watching from this season.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Saudades
Dunno about Kanon...the character designs from the screenshots I saw here kinda soured me. Saw Clannad years ago and I remember ep 18 of AS kinda got me, but still hated the ending.

I'm gonna go and recommend Penguindrum. The story revolves around two brothers and their sick sister along with the troubles they're forced to go through. The ending is rather tragic.

You should still give Kanon a shot, just make sure its the 2006 version. Some people don't like the eyes, but the animation and backgrounds are still really pretty. And the music is great. Its Key, so its definitely sad if that's what you're looking for.

The first season of Little Busters is rather tough to get through, but the second season, Refrain, was well executed and is definitely one of Key's best stories. Alternatively I'd recommend reading the VN if you don't mind reading, as its a much better telling of the story.

Branduil

Noragami 7

ibsyy1Ojhb2diH.jpg

Things actually getting real next episode?

B.O.O.M

lol Kokkuri san was cute/funny as usual

I have to say I am loving this new season so far

Parasyte
Tera Formars
Kokkuri san
Psycho Pass

and a few others. Good stuff all around

Why do most Seinen manga get shitty anime adaptions? I really want to understand why.

Because they don't expect to sell a lot, not as much as the most popular shonen or shojo, so accordingly they give lesser budgets. It's that or nothing at all.

There are exceptions from time to time. Parasyte or Mushishi for example.

SAO S2 15

Hmm, perhaps I'll like this show more now that the stakes aren't death. Time will tell.

Cross Ange 03

Welp, MC finally got the fucking wake up call she need to get out of princess bitch mode. Shame it took so many dying to do that.

Madan no Ou To Vandis 02-03

Whereas I felt episode 2 show some promise in my like of the MC. Episode 3 completely ruined that with the way it ended. I was hoping this wouldn't be a chosen one story with the MC become broken overpowered, but I guess I was wrong. Oh well.

Girl Friend BETA 02

I don't know what the MC is complaining about, some guys like it when you have some junk in the truck. No wait, I should edit that to girls because it is quite clear to me now there are yuri undertones going on her. Enjoyable episode, something nice and chill to watch on a sunday compared to all the other shows that air. Loving the French girl's Japanese.

Grisaia 03

MC was extremely rude and didn't even let that poor sexually frustrated girl finish what she started on his bed. Anywho, wasn't expecting to like this adaptation as much as I am. I played the a game some time ago and had forgotten how much I like the character banter they all have with him.

phaze

I say that most of is answered (vaguely) in

Thank you for taking time to type this but frankly I'm too scared to look at those spoilers. Will just wait for HF I guess.

Gundam Wing 34-40

Zechs traded best mecha for the worst.

This thing makes less sense than Aldnoah
. Sudden rebel faction out of nowhere takes over Romefeller's "death star." The foundation itself starts to take Relena's total pacifism crap seriously. You're back stabbers who took over Earth and colonies and ruled it with an iron fist, have some goddamn consistency

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Ore, twintail ni narimasu 1
This show is stupid. I mean really stupid. Stupidest thing i've seen today.
I like it.

Woah, ending song by Papiyon-p? Nice.
after seeing the character CD preview, other vocaloid-p working on the music as well.

phaze

Gundam Wing 41 5 minutes in.

How dare they take away my Wild Beat Communication opening ? An only to spoil for me what I assume is the final duel.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 47

SO after a bittersweet but all around spectacular finale to the original season of Sailor Moon we find ourselves in a most curious point in this most curious of seasons. Indeed, we can cleave this new season rather inexplicably renamed R. By the way nobody is quite sure what R stands for, some say it is romance, some say revolution, the series itself just calls it R. Anyway, Sailor Moon R can be dissected into two parts, the first quarter is the last ride done by Season 1 director Junichi Sato before the baton was passed over to famed eccentric Kunihiko Ikuhara. Also, this is the final reprieve before the dark times. There was once a person who told me that Sailor Moon contained no filler, this was at best misguided advice, Season 1 certainly had it share of filler but this arc here, the Doom Tree arc, is filler in classic sense of the word. This arc exists solely to give some breathing room to the concurrent manga as it was created whole cloth. Oh, right, the episode itself it there, it exists, it basically retreads most of the beats from early season 1 while introducing us to the new villains and stakes. This is dimly recommended,
you get to see Sailor Moon regain her memories and express disappointment at being unretired, but not much is being missed as a whole.

FSN Unlimited Blade Works 1-2

The animation is so good. Based ufotable. Can't wait for the Tales of Zestiria OVA now. Also Shirou seems much better in this adaptation and I hear its going to be on Rin's route who is inarguably the best.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 48

Even when I was watching this back in the day this arc made me restless and this episode reminds me why. I suppose technically speaking Ali and Ann are more developed villains then Beryl and Metalia were but that is not saying much. I suppose the trade off is they are just not menacing or threatening in the least, they always came across as seat warmers to me. Anyway, this episode was all about getting the band back together and thankfully it only takes them an episode to accomplish this and now I can forget the stupid amnesia angle.
Also, in more plot relevant terms, we have discovered that the Moon Stick has gone missing along with The Silver Crystal so Usagi is back using Moon Tiara Action as her finisher. If I recall correctly, instead of adding new scouts throughout the season, with some exceptions, the shit that gets doles out over the season are power upgrades. Sailor Moon really did drink from the pool of Super Sental at times.
Anyway, once again mildest recommendations to watch, it is important but also tedious.

Narag

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 47
This arc exists solely to give some breathing room to the concurrent manga as it was created whole cloth.

Did filler come to mean anime original now or what? Last I saw, the main purpose of the Doom Tree arc was to reset things so it could resume where the manga was headed rather than maintaining the finality of the last two episodes of the first season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Did filler come to mean anime original now or what? Last I saw, the main purpose of the Doom Tree arc was to reset things so it could resume where the manga was headed rather than maintaining the finality of the last two episodes of the first season.

More or less, you can thank the preponderance of endless battle shonen for that designation. I will grant you Sailor Moon operates a tad differently, but I would be lying if I said I thought this wasn't a filler arc.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm going to spoiler it for the heck of it, and I want to make it clear I have not read the manga beyond where the anime currently is (in fact i am a few chapters behind compared to the anime right now) and thus have no information and am not spoiling anything.
Wire guy is going down hard and soon. (backstory + gotta admit my love after this battle... might as well start carving his tombstone)
beast girl may be going down. (she keeps taking damage, though we have seen people get fake arms so this may just be a fake out)
flame guy is going to be going down. (we know enough about him to have minor feels for his family... beyond that one of the people in the battle needs to die by the semi rules of the series, and it won't be akame or the main character

to be fair beast girl and flame guy might already be dead/dying from the events at the end of episode 16... flame guy as it may have been a suicide attack, and beast girl protecting akame.

I forgot about Wire Guy. Dammit.

cajunator

Banned
Twintails are #BeautifulThings.

Oh lord. Lol.

World Trigger Episode 3
B0RkfReCYAAcNxg.png
B0Rr7TgCUAAXK92.png

Great range of expressions for Kuga.

Lots of explanations for things in the universe that were alright. I didnt remember them being this wordy in the manga, but that was over a year ago. Satisfactory but little explanation for say Replica's origins and a bit more.

Tokieda had a perfect voice, Arashiyama as well. Ai Kitori sounds just as Id expected from such a personality.

This show is surprisingly not shit. Kinda enjoy it.

Even the enemy is in on it

That scene was so adorable.

From the New World 3

I know some others I've been watching this with haven't been particularly enthralled but I'm genuinely interested in seeing the mysteries of this world unravel before my eyes. The next episode looks like a big info dump. I need to rewatch this episode when I'm not half asleep though.

Girls und Panzer 4

Is this a parody or am I supposed to be taking this seriously because I can't tell. Still waiting for it to turn the corner from dumb into the supposedly good show this is supposed to be.

If you are enthralled already within 3 episodes, you are gonna seriously love FTNW.

He didn't even know hair could end in tails.

I understood that reference!

HEROBANK Episode 29 – Money is Power! Ryuuga Tennouji Makes Landfall!!
B0ZJohOIUAAdsKL.png

Herobank continues to be immensely enjoyable and hilarious to watch at the 7am hour. Kaito is too funny always. ALWAYS.

Battle was great too, full of the staffs love of herobutt Kaito. Pretty powerful attack as always to completely go from
Enter the Hero to nekkid in one blow, and then getting yet another blow in after that.

Bank Register ought to confer another powerup hopefully.

So far, what do you guys think are must watch from this season?
I expect lots of twintails

Tri-Cool
HeroBank second half
OreFuro
BonKoi
Your Lie In April
Garo

And obligatory mention for Buddyfight.

Must watch:

Parasyte ----> AOTS
Bahamut

Stuff you might want to check out:

FSN Unlimited Blade Works
Magic Kaito 1412

Dont watch anime from people that support atrocious noncanonical ships!

TUSR

Banned
Gundam Wing 41 5 minutes in.

How dare they take away my Wild Beat Communication opening ? An only to spoil for me what I assume is the final duel.
Rhythm Emotion really captures the tone for the final episodes.

I thought it was an upgrade.

Twin Tails
Inou Battle

Grisaia no Kajitsu - 01

So what do girls do in their rooms , alone when they don't have homework to do ?

Good question , anime . i guess our MC has a answer ready for me ?

Mokoi

Banned

Must watch huh? Well that would have to be Gundam Build Fighters Try. There's some reasonably decent stuff airing right now, but I wouldn't call them must watch shows. Perhaps also Parasyte too.

duckroll

Seven Deadly Sex Offenders - Episode 3

y8M5K6p.jpg

This is a BAD show.

I think I've just about had it with this show. The setting might be somewhat interesting, but the inane ongoing sexual harassment the main character continues with is just too offputting. It wouldn't be this bad if he at least got slapped for it, or if the show showed any interest in actually showcasing that such behavior is deplorable, but nope, it's always a joke, she's always okay with it, and having a creepy pervert get his way with a young girl just because he's a legendary warrior who can save the kingdom is apparently fine.

Dropped.

---

Tribe Cool Crew - Episode 2-4

wqHBMS5.jpg

This is a GOOD show.

Now on the other hand this is the sort of cartoon which we need more of. I really like how the characters play off each other, especially how the guy is literally a young kid who has a ton of passion but lacks experience and fundamentals, while the girl is older and more knowledgeable about dancing, but lacks a bit of self-confidence. There isn't a bunch of eye-rolling drama either, instead it deals mostly with how different people are drawn to street dancing and how they express it. Very peasant and positive tone, with very attractive character designs.

In particular Yuzuru teaching them how Isolation can be fun by using childish motifs is a great example of how well the show succeeds at being at not just a children's show but also one for all ages. Totally relatable, but also funny and well executed.

JoeFu

Banned
Cross Ange 3

So we have see through wet t-shirts in the rain during "emotional(?)" scene, Ange wetting herself animated for the world to see, then showing hard nipples through clothes after killing the dragon. Cool

Good show

I need to stop watching, but it's so hard to look away....

phaze

Gundam Wing 41-44

Fucking lol, Relena's
career as a queen of Earth didn't last long. Treize just walked out of his prison and effected a hundredth coup in the series. Who needs Gundams when all you need to take over Earth is 10 armed men ?
At least they're seemingly done with the constantly changing allegiances, nonsense character motivations and are finally ready for the end confrontation.

Mokoi

Banned
Well duck you just made Tribe Cool Crew sound like quite the plesant show to watch. I'll add it to my current animu watching list.

TUSR

Banned
Gundam Wing 41-44

Fucking lol, Relena's
career as a queen of Earth didn't last long. Treize just walked out of his prison and effected a hundredth coup in the series. Who needs Gundams when all you need to take over Earth is 10 armed men ?
At least they're seemingly done with the constantly changing allegiances, nonsense character motivations and are finally ready for the end confrontation.

I typically rewatch Wing every year or so, and it never fails to disappoint me how badly the politics in this show collapse.

Grisaia no Kajitsu - 03

First time i was genuinely laughing ... this anime is going in the right direction.

That ED animation was nice.

i'm now tempted to start the game , now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom