• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Scans of Yuri Kuma Arashi character art have surfaced. Placed behind a link because of, erm, excessive pantsu.

Ka6i5S3.gif

Can't wait for Ikuhara to save anime again!

fertygo

Tribe Cool Crew - 01

Yep, this is pretty cool.. all that heat warm of kids show, character that already pretty likeable and CG aside its pretty pleasant looking show, sign me up.

Btw the writing for this intro is quite clever and making such a cute introduction for the main duo, good stuff.. the last scene felt great because well built-up.

Branduil

Tribe Cool Crew:
That feel when you know an anime has potential but it's being squandered right before your eyes.

Shows should really just go full CGI if that's all they're going to use for their characters' raison d'etre. At least then we would know to just skip it!

Im into all this kind of stuff though, so its really going to inflate my view of the show.

But I totally agree, we haven't hit 'that' moment yet.

Hopefully I don't get spoiled by your viewing, are you watching more tonight?

Both of you haven't hit the point the show becomes amazing. You'll know when the show completely switches gear because ithere's a Samurai Flamenco episode 7-like moment in terms of awesome. I know the first half with them hanging out is a bit slow, and nice to see it's still being enjoyed. It is absolutely necessary to know the characters much like Clannad was to AS.

I'm assuming you're talking about Steins;Gate btw

duckroll

Okay so let me get this straight. The creator of Utena and Penguindrum is making an anime called Lesbian Bear Storm. The premise is that after the asteroid Bearia explodes and creates a meteor shower which hits Earth, the bears rise against the humans and there is a great war which results in an endless cycle of hate and mutual destruction. The bears eat humans, the humans shoot bears. This is totally unbearable. Why is there such a bearrier between the two races? The main characters seem to be bears infiltrating human society to take it down or something. Incidentally they can disguise themselves as high school girls, and their distinctive designs are how they wear different types of panties. I'm not sure if I can bear to watch this.

Thoraxes

Okay so let me get this straight. The creator of Utena and Penguindrum is making an anime called Lesbian Bear Storm. The premise is that after the asteroid Bearia explodes and creates a meteor shower which hits Earth, the bears rise against the humans and there is a great war which results in an endless cycle of hate and mutual destruction. The bears eat humans, the humans shoot bears. This is totally unbearable. Why is there such a bearrier between the two races? The main characters seem to be bears infiltrating human society to take it down or something. Incidentally they can disguise themselves as high school girls, and their distinctive designs are how they wear different types of panties. I'm not sure if I can bear to watch this.

Bears are the greatest gift mankind has received.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

I don't think we could deal with all the bear puns.

After the first line I wast thinking "he should make bear puns". I'm glad I followed reading the rest. :)

The creator of Utena is making this shit.........how does one go from creating Utena to this abomination.....how.

"Stop stealing my bit!"
B8_3_0BIN_1_zps91eacaae.png

Gazoinks

Man, this description really gives me paws.

Berserk - 24

Oh shit its the aliens from Mars Attacks!

This shit went bananas. Griffith please don't do this you greedy bastard, I thought we had something you and I.
Surerly you wouldn't let your friends who've been with you since the beginning perish for your own hatred. This all came out of nowhere, we were just saving your skinny ass from the dungeons. Griffith please.

Berserk - 25

sygxbl.gif

Honestly, im at a loss for words right now. I.. what? how? WHAT. (Not sure if Im allowed to post certain images)

First of all, why hasnt there been a followup series, this was made 17 goddamn years ago.
Second, where can I get the continued story? Manga only? I've never read a manga but this is pushing me over the edge
-
Alright, this show is pretty amazing. Great characters, designs, art and I cant complain at the soundtrack either. It went pretty dark and gory sometimes and I absolutely love it. I went into this expecting (through osmosis) edgy MC killing big ass monsters in a demon realm. Only that was waiting in the end.
Instead I got a buildup, seeing the journey to this crazy end. Filled with plotting, battles and some bromance. Getting attached to the three main characters, and now I feel betrayed by one of them. It hurts.
I would lie if I said I wouldnt have wanted some more monster slaying in between. First meeting with Zodd is probably one of the things I will remember the most. But I'm not disappointed in what I got instead. Sure sometimes it went a little slow and stupid, like that returning general, but I can't say I was ever bored.
It's nearly 3 in the morning and I'm going to bed. See you later Guts.

9/10

Berserk - 23

Rescue mission is sort of a success. Biggest loss was the troops morale after witnessing what Griffith has become
Jesus what the hell is going on, egg necklace along with eclipse is starting some weird shit. Demon invasion? Is Griffith gonna be consumed and become some sort of demon?

YES I've been waiting for this.

Read the manga....you need to relieve yourself from the anger.

To this day I have no idea why they haven;t made a second season. There's enough manga material now for a second season......probably enough for a third season after another 17 years.

I can finally post my favourite piece of art

behelit_grif-c9d3a.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 41:

Right, so after enduring a couple of the worst episodes Sailor Moon Season 1 had to offer we finally get out of formula and get back to important matters. Endimyion finally gets his spotlight as he connives to get the defeated seven great monsters and combine them into one unstoppable beast using the dark crystal. It isn't the best plan in the world, even the series points out this is a bit of lazy recycling, but I will take that over more stupid princess training. Interestingly enough the focus here is on Rei since they brought out love interest Ryo out of mothballs and they seemed to have given Crystal Rei's no dating mantra over to Ami for some reason.

The whole Ami-Ryo romance just reminds me of my overall problem with most of the romance in this show, they did a pretty decent build up of having Ryo and Ami become an official couple but this is his last appearance, so any emotional investment goes up in smoke. No real reason given, he just vanishes into the ether. The whole running away from love thing is even funnier when you know in later seasons that Ami's shyness gets so bad that she has allergic reactions to love letters.
Overall, this was a rather solid outing that comes recommend to watch.

dan2026

Suddenly Japan.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 42

Fun fact, the shitheads over at DiC back in the day decided to leave this episode on the cutting room floor and it is the first time that they truly fucked up in their choices in exclusion. This episode is supremely important as it finally establishes Minako's backstory and actually gives her some much needed personality and character development. I told Bass that Minako becomes the ditz and her personality, especially in the anime runs lockstep with Usagi quite a lot of the time. What distinguishes her, at least at the outset, is the bent of tragedy that surrounds her. That is a constant across all continuities though the details do change wildly. Beneath the veneer of the bubbly, fun loving personality lies a bit of a deep recess of pain and loneliness that once again varies depending on the medium. Here in the anime it is quite mild compared to the other line but it is still tragic.

Minako merely finds herself on the wrong end of a love triangle and decides to engage in classical stoicism in order for her best friend and ex-boyfriend to find happiness.
I'll be honest, the manga and even the live action series did a better job but not watering things down and making the personal tragedy a much bigger part of her core of being. In general I think the anime series just resolutely mangled Minako's character so very badly and indeed one its greatest failings. Anyway, this one comes recommended if only to spite the rotten corpse of DiC.

BluWacky

The creator of Utena is making this shit.........how does one go from creating Utena to this abomination.....how.

An abomination you have seen absolutely nothing of beyond some questionable character designs (which, aside from the pantie flashing which we've known about since the PV last year, are really rather excellent) and duckroll's pun-filled version of the summary?

I am inclined to give the show the benefit of the doubt because I love Ikuhara's work, but it's not like it sounds any stupider than Utena (cross dressing girl fights for the right to metaphorically marry a witch) or Penguindrum (two boys follow the orders of their dead sister wearing a hat that foiled the Aum Shinrikyo attacks).

wonzo

Banned
Thats uh… pretty different from what I was expecting after reading the first chapter of the manga but I'M DOWN WITH THIS SO HARD.

ikuharaboner.png

From the looks of it there isn't that much going for this season apart from Tomino saving anime, GBF-Try saving Sunrise Season 2s and Log Horizon S2 saving databases.

At least I've still got Goldfish Warning!
Until I run out of episodes that is.

Everyone react this way , but everyone will watch it , right ?

Crocodile

I had no idea what this show was about nor could I figure out why people were hyped for it besides some indirect Utena connections. All I can say to this is LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I just hope this leans more towards the realm of silly fun or perhaps a bit of heartwarming drama than creepiness.

Oreca Battle & Dragon Collection Episodes 26

Both shows tackled the evolution theme this week which was even present in their episode title. Oreca was fun for the orb being shown which ushered in the birth of our major boss. While DraColle featured an urn which helped to make Haniwa rather useless now that evolution can take place without him (he is still good for combi). DraColle's reveal was most funny.

Jintor

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun -END-

Finally got around to finishing this. Probably one of the best anime adaptations I've seen yet, though unlike most 4koma adaptations it started with some really, really strong source material. So the source material was good and the adaptation was good, so that just added up to make an incredibly strong show that I couldn't wait to watch every week. (Except for the six - seven weeks where I didn't have good enough internet to watch it... but let's ignore that).

I don't really think that bit at the end was a gag, duckroll, it seemed a bit too tragic to me. It kind of struck me as them wanting to have their shoujo parody cake and eat it, too, but who knows really. I hope they're angling for a second season. Definitely this studio's strongest work so far.

I give Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 5/5 Mushroom Ribbons.

cajunator

Banned
WIXOSS is getting another season? How was the first? I heard it was straight up ridiculous

Lets ask MadP what kind of show it really is.

Neither are made by Trigger though?

the old guard isnt dead yet!

big ol jet aeroliner
don't carry me too far away
big ol jet aeroliner
cause it's here that i've got stay

It was my first flight in 30 years. Completely new experience. Always wanted to take a flight.

...And I'm back in again. Ooo Mister Ikuhara.

Finalow

so why should I watch Parasyte and Mysterious Joker? Just because the PV looked cool or because there's someone in the staff (which I haven't even checked) that usually delivers.

cajunator

Banned
Better Funi than Aniplex.

well thats true at least. People would be able to afford it.

Pretty sure Aniplex wasn't involved with the show at all. Funi licensed it from Bandai Visual.

Given that Funi gives an "LE" (usually meaning an artbox) to practically every release of theirs that's not in the SAVE or Anime Classics line, it's pretty likely that Space Dandy will get one as well. Given what they've done for Attack on Titan and Cowboy Bebop, it's also possible that it will get a more lavish LE. I'm personally hoping that they'll do an LE with both halves of the show, so I can grab all of it at once.

Funi does release a lot of Le stuff but I dont think its a given.
However for Space Dandy given its nature I think an LE is expected.

Ashita no Nadja 23-29 (Spain Arc)

Saying this about a series that began with an orphanage being set on fire is not merely a case of one-upmanship, things really have gotten serious. For once, Nadja has a dance that she can't instantly be good at. The people runs into don't have the happiest ending for their story. There's still plenty of comedic moments throughout, but the majority of Nadja's time spent in Spain was used for drama.

And some cultural homages. In Kennosuke's episode, when talking about his desire to build a plane, or more than that, a spaceship, the image used to represent it is this one.

I love it when things like this happened indirectly in Sengoku Collection, and having it happen directly here is great. It pleases my inner cinephile. The part of the West being referenced is not merely the "cool" parts, but the cultural parts. I also liked the episode that started this arc off, with the Dandelion Troupe facing a gang of pirates. The comedic timing while Nadja was sewing her flamenco dress, cutting back and forth between that and the pirate fight with nearly identical lines of dialogue, including her using the spear attached to one of the ropes to hold her dress casually, got a few laughs out of me. It was done really well.

It's not just classic movies, but classic opera being referenced, too. The story arc running this time was Jose and Carmen, a pair of former/reunited lovers, a flamenco dancer and a bullfighter. Granted, my only familiarity with Carmen comes from Hey Arnold!, but I can recognize my opera homages when I sees them. The idea of two lovers forcing themselves to try and be in love because they feel like they're missing something is weightier than I expected.
Jose's death at the hands of a cart much like the one he saved Nadja from was really unexpected. Poor Nadja, she'll never know. It's for the best if she doesn't.
The adults' stories are just as interesting as the children's.

Speaking of Nadja's Flamenco (if she went on stage with Kennosuke and he did his bullfighting like he wanted, they could've billed themselves as Samurai Flame- you know where this is going), the design of her dress is clearly the inspiration for Megumi's Cherry Flamenco today. I'm onto your game, Toei.

Now that Rita can freely express herself, she's a wonderful addition to the group. A wee bit precocious, and clearly filled with a lot of things she's been waiting to say. Props to Ikue Ohtani. Nadja's a "little rosebud" and Rita is blooming, but one could say that Rosemary strikes a certain... note.

Oliver was in good shape (aside from his awkwardness about his crush), but Rosemary is desperate. She got angry at Nadja without fully understanding her circumstances, and Nadja doesn't fully understand her circumstances either since Rosemary deliberately obfuscated them. Having a foil for Nadja is appreciated, and when her episode ends with a shot like this, things aren't boding well for the future.

The Francis episode was serene, and I liked all the sunset shots. Francis taught her the concept of noblesse oblige and did dance with her, but she may have fallen for
his twin brother, the Black Rose?
That's such a soap opera development, but it fits with the general kind of story this show has been trying to tell. Any story that gets me able to write multiple paragraphs about its facets must be clicking with me in some way, and Nadja certainly is.

Nadja is an interesting series but I never got far into it. The moon image reminds me of the scene in Smashing Pumpkins Tonight tonight video, which was an homage to whatever it came from originally. Its a standout image thats for sure.

Link Man

Banned

Perhaps you should sleep
until spring
on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom