• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SAO 13

SAO Logic: The Episode. RapeyMcRaperson gets all "YOU'RE MINE NOW I LOVE YOU" on Sinon despite the fact that he was hanging out at her house with death-serum he planned to use on her like 10 minutes prior. And lets not forget our resident Gary Stu's new entry in the highlight reel of "Most Gary Stu Moments." He gets Sinon's address and promises to send the police there, but that never happens because he's too busy running over there by himself to get in a flying knee drop on McRaperson. Conveniently, he hasn't mentioned his harem or girlfriend to Sinon this entire time, either.

mankoto

Log Horizon 20
So he invented the "Adventure" subclass... So when are people that want to live on the edge get the "People of the Land," subclass?

Actually no. Let's go even deeper and see if we can create entirely new classes

Love Live S2 05

Honoka finds out that she can't control the weather after all.

It's an episode focused on Rin. She gets to be leader and everything. The mirroring of the situation when they made Hanayo take a step forward was a nice touch.

Ahhhh!!!! You're almost at the Halloween episode which is sooooo good.

]

Parasyte - did anyone here read the manga? How is it?

Manga is fantastic. If Madhouse follows it to the letter we should have a standout this season

Speaking of Parasyte has anyone read Historie by the same author? It's tells the life story of Eumenes, secretary to Alexander the Great and I'm a big fan

KanameYuuki

Usually, I know which shows I'm going to watch but this fall I have no idea what shows I should give a try, aside of Mushishi 2.5 ofc.

Manga is fantastic. If Madhouse follows it to the letter we should have a standout this season

Speaking of Parasyte has anyone read Historie by the same author? It's tells the life story of Eumenes, secretary to Alexander the Great and I'm a big fan

Yep, I also read Historie. Or was, I left it waiting until it's finished some day, then I will read it entire.

phaze

Chevalier D'Eon 6-10
chevalh2kv3.png
Lol They just fucked over any semblance of historical believability. The Seven Years war should be going on for 5 years now but gets no single mention and they even travelled across the whole continent. I must say I did not see
dark wizard Maximilien de Robespierre coming. Maybe because he should be four years old.
And he's in all probability the one who offed Lia.
With Elisabeth dead, they better kill Pompadour soon too.

I can't help but feel that the show has declined since the gang went to Russia but I can't quite determine why. Generally the main quartet feels bland. D'Eon is not a very interesting character so far and rarely goes outside the "Save the King and France, "I've got to help/avenge my sister." They try take make him interesting by showing glimpses of him despising the idle nobility but it doesn't help much. The rest of crew is even less enticing. The main plot seems up to be an Illuminati-like organisation trying to take over the world and I' dont think its a very attractive direction to take.

Firemind

SAO 13

SAO Logic: The Episode. RapeyMcRaperson gets all "YOU'RE MINE NOW I LOVE YOU" on Sinon despite the fact that he was hanging out at her house with death-serum he planned to use on her like 10 minutes prior. And lets not forget our resident Gary Stu's new entry in the highlight reel of "Most Gary Stu Moments." He gets Sinon's address and promises to send the police there, but that never happens because he's too busy running over there by himself to get in a flying knee drop on McRaperson. Conveniently, he hasn't mentioned his harem or girlfriend to Sinon this entire time, either.
Why would he mention he has a gf? lol you guys

Also, add gary stu to the list of overused phrases in AnimeGAF threads.

Tenumi

Banned

Gary Stu and Mary Sue are the most overused phrases when talking media, period. You don't like a character? Call them a Mary Sue, even if they don't fit the definition.

sonicmj1

Duckroll's list horrified me. This season seemed intimidating enough without the shows I forgot were coming. I don't know how I'm going to handle this much, so I'll have to leave some on deck until other stuff disappoints.

Must see sequels
Log Horizon 2
GBF Try

Must see originals
Shingeki no Bahamut
Shirobako

Will watch
Fate/Stay Night: UBW
Parasyte

On deck
Mushishi 2
Psycho-Pass 2
Amagi Brilliant Park
Gundam Reconguista in G

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I don't know, when he had her head resting in his lap while they chill in a cave because you know, he's given chicks the wrong idea 4 times already?

And "Gary Stu" is an awesome term, I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe if he stops being a wish-fulfillment fantasy I'll stop describing him as such.

sonicmj1

So that's how it is?
I wound up watching the first half of Mushishi 2 without seeing Mushishi 1, and I still haven't caught the most recent special. I kind of want to get caught up on older stuff before I watch what's about to air.

An abomination you have seen absolutely nothing of beyond some questionable character designs (which, aside from the pantie flashing which we've known about since the PV last year, are really rather excellent) and duckroll's pun-filled version of the summary?

I am inclined to give the show the benefit of the doubt because I love Ikuhara's work, but it's not like it sounds any stupider than Utena (cross dressing girl fights for the right to metaphorically marry a witch) or Penguindrum (two boys follow the orders of their dead sister wearing a hat that foiled the Aum Shinrikyo attacks).

I ain't giving a show the benefit of the doubt when said shows the underwear of young teenage girls ( don't give the oh but they are actually bears bs either).

Firemind

I don't know, when he had her head resting in his lap while they chill in a cave because you know, he's given chicks the wrong idea 4 times already?

And "Gary Stu" is an awesome term, I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe if he stops being a wish-fulfillment fantasy I'll stop describing him as such.
She admires him. Not sure why you need to sleep in VR but better not to overthink technology that doesn't exist yet. If she wanted the D, the writer would have made it obvious. It's not a harem, guys.

mankoto

Log Horizon 21
Someone else used world-class magic at the same time Shiroe did.
For some reason, someone knows about Shiroe creating new magic.
For some reason really bad rumors are spreading about Shiroe.

I guess the rest of the season is just them (or Shiroe really) preparing to go to Minami. While trying to squash these rumors, although I doubt they'll bother him. But first, let's have another party because of the time skip.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I wound up watching the first half of Mushishi 2 without seeing Mushishi 1, and I still haven't caught the most recent special. I kind of want to get caught up on older stuff before I watch what's about to air.
You could prioritize Mushishi S1 and lead a happier life, but I know that isn't always easy.

jman2050

Okay so let me get this straight. The creator of Utena and Penguindrum is making an anime called Lesbian Bear Storm. The premise is that after the asteroid Bearia explodes and creates a meteor shower which hits Earth, the bears rise against the humans and there is a great war which results in an endless cycle of hate and mutual destruction. The bears eat humans, the humans shoot bears. This is totally unbearable. Why is there such a bearrier between the two races? The main characters seem to be bears infiltrating human society to take it down or something. Incidentally they can disguise themselves as high school girls, and their distinctive designs are how they wear different types of panties. I'm not sure if I can bear to watch this.

I don't know about everyone else but this sounds amazing.

Fireblend

Banned
Okay so let me get this straight. The creator of Utena and Penguindrum is making an anime called Lesbian Bear Storm. The premise is that after the asteroid Bearia explodes and creates a meteor shower which hits Earth, the bears rise against the humans and there is a great war which results in an endless cycle of hate and mutual destruction. The bears eat humans, the humans shoot bears. This is totally unbearable. Why is there such a bearrier between the two races? The main characters seem to be bears infiltrating human society to take it down or something. Incidentally they can disguise themselves as high school girls, and their distinctive designs are how they wear different types of panties. I'm not sure if I can bear to watch this.

Wait, which one is this? I need to know because reasons.

Love Live S2 06

μ's tries to evolve and have a bigger impact.

It's Halloween, they also try to be swap personalities and it's that episode with references to The Nightmare Before Christmas, Kiss and Glee.

e_i

Watching:

Denki-gai no Honya-san
Amagi Brilliant Park (it's Kyoani, so I have to watch it)
Log Horizon 2 (Watched the first season so...)
Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works
Nanatsu no Taizai (midriff and giantesses oh my)
Sora no Method (girls holding hands and gazing lovingly into each eyes so I'm there)
Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de (Trigger, bitch)
Hi sCoool! Seha Girl (Watching, but I've watched this before)
SHIROBAKO (girls making anime plus P.A. Works)
Sanzoku no Musume Ronja
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru (Studio Gokumi makes this an instant watch)

CorvoSol

Gary Stu and Mary Sue are the most overused phrases when talking media, period. You don't like a character? Call them a Mary Sue, even if they don't fit the definition.

On the other hand, you can't really deny that there are a good number of Anime protagonists who really do fit the vernacular use of the term.

Look at Kira Yamato. And I mean really, really look at him. He's the pinnacle of human engineering and evolution, meaning he's already smarter, stronger, faster and better looking than any other human being in the entire show by word of the show. And then they have the gall to make him a Newtype. In a series where Newtypes don't really exist. So he isn't just actually the perfect human being, he's also a powerful psychic to boot!

And did I mention this is all before they decide he's also morally perfect? I mean SEED Kira got away with bullshit like stealing his best friend's girlfriend and then beating him up (twice, with different friends and girls both times!), but you could at least pretend that that was wrong and he was wrong for doing it. Destiny rolls along and the laws of reason, causality and morality are deflected around him by a mystic force field. Watch as Kira escalates a global conflict by just raising a ruckus and tries to enforce world peace at the end of a sword! Watch as Athrun calls him out on this! See how it does nothing because suddenly one person crying (because she has suddenly become an ineffectual ruler and through no relation to the politics of the series at all) justifies trampling over the sovereign rights of nations willy nilly like.

In 00 Gundam, when someone tries to do that, the entire world rebels against them. In Wing, when Zechs tries to do that he's painted as a madman. When Kira does it, though, Athrun shuts the fuck up and gets on board.

So sure, people bandy around the term "Gary Stu" a lot, but in their defense when you have guys who are the pinnacle of humanity with glorious psychic powers, one-mech-army Gundams, and then they are justified in all they do in spite of how wrong they are, people are going to throw down the term no matter what textbook definition of it you want to use, because people don't give a shit about textbook definitions. They give a shit about cheap ass unfair protagonists and they're gonna short hand their complaints because not everybody is Corvo, who has neither girlfriend nor chance at one, and therefore the infinite time it takes to articulate at length why shit smells like shit. Instead they're going to say "that's bullshit" even if it's actually more like goatshit or horseshit instead.

Jex

I've honestly stopped really paying attention to promotional material, art, trailers etc for most upcoming shows. I've moved myself to the position where, if it's good, surely someone else will see it and write about it. This just makes things easier for me.

Of course, this leaves me exposed to the 'risk' that something could slip past unnoticed, but I'm willing to accept that.

zulux21

Time of Eve bluray came in the mail today. It's my first Kickstarter thing

Did you end up getting the fan book as well?
I got my package today as well and it looks pretty, but I can't help but wonder how much prettier it will look when my fan book comes in as well to sit next to it :p

jbug617

Banned
Did you end up getting the fan book as well?
I got my package today as well and it looks pretty, but I can't help but wonder how much prettier it will look when my fan book comes in as well to sit next to it :p

yeah I got the fan book as well. I think they said that will ship in November

Corvo , no one denying the fact that kira yamato is broken as f*ck.
Just like no one is denying recently that tatsuya in mahouka is equally broken.

BUT

The overusage of "gary stu" and "mary stu" terms exist to the point that some don't even use it in proper context. that's IMO hard to deny.

Akainu

So I'm watching psycho-pass cause people were talking about it
and who thought guns like this would be a good idea? When they said lethal force was authorized I thought they would just be normal bullets but to make a person explode is nuts.

Also
had cg hands will there be more of this? lol

Corvo , no one denying the fact that kira yamato is broken as f*ck.
Just like no one is denying recently that tatsuya in mahouka is equally broken.

BUT

The overusage of "gary stu" and "mary stu" terms exist to the point that some don't even use it in proper context. that's IMO hard to deny.

Dunno. Haven't seen a huge overabundance actually. And Firemind hopefully isn't serious when he's telling us that Kirito is no Gary Stu. Same goes for the harem shenanigans. I mean less so but it's still darn clear what everyone's talking about in that regard.

With the Giants playing Thursday i had no real interest in the Sunday games, gave SAO season 2 a shot oh god this anime is trash..

Kansoku

I've honestly stopped really paying attention to promotional material, art, trailers etc for most upcoming shows. I've moved myself to the position where, if it's good, surely someone else will see it and write about it. This just makes things easier for me.

Of course, this leaves me exposed to the 'risk' that something could slip past unnoticed, but I'm willing to accept that.

Same hare, but I need to be a little more cautious of the ones I pick to watch. I'm letting way too much crap going in because of good early impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom