• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

I've been on a KyoAni binge, and was wondering...

Is Free Eternal Summer yaoi?

It's as much yaoi as K-ON is yuri.

A lot of people here didn't seem very fond of Free, but I enjoyed both seasons. Season 1 gets bogged down with some boring drama, but season 2 is a bit better in this regard; while there is drama, it actually seems to matter. Either way, they're best when they're being silly, and they often are.

Why not both?
I am going to eventually watch both, just asking which to start with. Obviously Rozen Maiden is the shorter series.
i8km09tR6uhc3.jpg

TUSR

Banned

A lot of people here didn't seem very fond of Free, but I enjoyed both seasons. Season 1 gets bogged down with some boring drama, but season 2 is a bit better in this regard; while there is drama, it actually seems to matter. Either way, they're best when they're being silly, and they often are.

No, but its close.

yeah id probably like it then

grew up playing hockey

Steins;Gate - 6

Yeesh, that dream sequence reminded me of the ending to Mario Galaxy.

Also, new lab member acquired! Also she's probably
a SERN agent. :p

Just finished up the chapters out so far in new waves and oh lawdy I need an anime of this right this moment.

This right here is what I need animated. Oh lawd did it kill me.

usThZ8u.jpg

Though another reason would be Jinnie. Best girl.

NW_Chapter_125.png

Getting these animated would make my life complete.

mankoto

Log Horizon 8
Step 2 is complete. The larger guilds have been baited in a way that they'll back Crescent Moon without trouble. Step 3 seems to be trying to reestablish a guild leader association.

Clov

Space Dandy 16

??????

While I also liked the atmospheric alien world presented in Eunyoung Choi's episode more than the silliness of Yuasa's, I still thought it was a great episode. In the end it all ended up being
an incredibly roundabout way of getting some food.
As expected of Yuasa, the visuals were wonderful as well.

While I also liked the atmospheric alien world presented in Eunyoung Choi's episode more than the silliness of Yuasa's, I still thought it was a great episode. In the end it all ended up being
an incredibly roundabout way of getting some food.
As expected of Yuasa, the visuals were wonderful as well.

I can't fully analyze why Yuasa's episode left me cold, but for some reason it did. The whole thing boiling (pun not intended) down to food was amusing, but the convolution in the middle got too much for me. The visuals were indeed stylish, but they didn't feel as cohesive a vision as Choi's plant world. Also felt claustrophobic and jumbled at times.

I prefer Yuasa's Adventure Time episode.

Clov

I can't fully analyze why Yuasa's episode left me cold, but for some reason it did. The whole thing boiling (pun not intended) down to food was amusing, but the convolution in the middle got too much for me. The visuals were indeed stylish, but they didn't feel as cohesive a vision as Choi's plant world. Also felt claustrophobic and jumbled at times.

I prefer Yuasa's Adventure Time episode.

I can understand why; the visuals definitely were more jumbled than in Choi's episode. Personally I felt it worked since they jumped more from place to place in this one (I think around three different planets?). It was a bit more of a chaotic episode than Choi's.

His Adventure Time episode was really fun though, both visually and in terms of the writing.

mankoto

Log Horizon 9
"Villian in Glasses," indeed. My only question, is that why didn't anybody else think of buying the Guild Hall? It couldn't have only been him that noticed that "every building in the world is up for sale."

Besides that, it seems like one of the guilds was more than likely in on that EXP pot share/child slavery guild. Hmm... Well, a win is a win. So even if he doesn't want to agree, he had no choice but to.

TUSR

Banned
It's all right so far for me. It's certainly interesting with all the foreshadowing going on, but it has yet to reach that one moment that makes it so amazing.

Im into all this kind of stuff though, so its really going to inflate my view of the show.

But I totally agree, we haven't hit 'that' moment yet.

Hopefully I don't get spoiled by your viewing, are you watching more tonight?

Im into all this kind of stuff though, so its really going to inflate my view of the show.

But I totally agree, we haven't hit 'that' moment yet.

Hopefully I don't get spoiled by your viewing, are you watching more tonight?

Nah, I'm only watching like, one episode a day as the show is now. This is a show I feel like I should pace myself with in its early episodes.

Overman King Gainer Ep. 4

Hey, it's going to be like that one episode of Battlestar Galactica but shitty.

Naturally Gainer challenges Gain to a match and there must be a prize of some sort.
-_- She doesn't even get to say anything.

Then after the match.
She doesn't say that, he does. Are you fucking kidding me.

You don't say?

She gives him a kiss at the end of the episode.
(Spoilers.)

Yeah. I like the anime too. Just for seeing Akeno animated if anything :)

But yeah...I can't imagine em going beyond a S3 given the kind of material it is (haremy shows are never very long). So you only get a small portion of the story.
Damn, looks like I gotta start reading them then xD

mankoto

Log Horizon 10
Secrets out. Now everyone knows that you get good food by letting a chef cook it. Now it seems that technology will be rapidly evolving in this world as well as the steam engine is still in its early phases.

Looks like either a war or a peace treaty will be signed soon between the natives and the round table. Spies don't come in and report to the king just because.

I decided to check out the Breaker.

What the fuck. This follows the exact same formula as Great Teacher Onizuka. It's almost a blatant copy, at least in the introduction/time of introduction. Is nobody else aware? The silly badass womanizing new teacher who makes silly faces, the bullied kid, the bald vice principal who wants him fired, him destroying his car by doing something.

Jesus.

Quasar

What the fuck. This follows the exact same formula as Great Teacher Onizuka. It's almost a blatant copy, at least in the introduction/time of introduction. Is nobody else aware? The silly badass womanizing new teacher who makes silly faces, the bullied kid, the bald vice principal who wants him fired, him destroying his car by doing something.

Jesus.

Maybe its like Teacher Please and Kanna Tears. Both by the same creator.

Articalys

1-Cour
Aldnoah.Zero -- did it rely too much on crazy twists? Perhaps, but it was still damn fun to watch, and I'm among those who likes Sawano music. Either way, that cliffhanger guarantees I'm watching part two.
Barakamon -- for me, it started out alright, then kind of dipped a bit in quality in the middle but pulled itself together for a strong finale.
Space Dandy S2 -- the individual episodes varied far too much to sum up an opinion here, but overall it was enjoyable and an impressive display of creativity from all parties involved.
Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun -- quite possible one of the best comedy anime series I've ever seen. Also has some of the best character pairings too.
Hanayamata -- as one of the only two "cute girls doing things" series from this season, it had a lot to carry, but it did just fine.
Terror in Tokyo -- similar to Aldnoah, it might have had some writing issues but was incredibly entertaining, and was both visually and musically fantastic.
Glasslip - why did this exist

2-Cour, finishing
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders -- I've already read the full manga, so this is just a matter of seeing everything brought to life. It's incredible how well David Production is matching Araki's style. Looking forward to the second half in January.
Captain Earth -- while it had its positive moments and fun characters, ultimately it was a mess of a plot and an overall disappointment.
Haikyuu -- for the longest time leading up to April, I was prepared to completely write it off and ignore it, as a team-based sports shonen from Jump. Then all the extremely positive posts from the first episode convinced me to give it a shot. Now it has a definite lock on at least my top ten series of the year, if not the top five. Probably one of the greatest turnarounds in impression for a series for me ever. S2 can't possibly be ready soon enough.
Baby Steps -- definitely a fun series and following Maruo's improvement was great, even though it wasn't the best looking show at times. Happy that NHK is giving it a second season next year.

2-cour, starting
Sword Art Online II -- yes, I'm one of the fans of the show. Enjoying it so far, though the more questionable parts are a bit awkward to see animated.
Akame ga Kill! -- fun for an action series.
Yama no Susume S2 -- probably one of the most underrated shows of the season that got screwed over by Crunchyroll failing to actually get the rights to anything beyond the first episode for some reason.

Other
Ao Haru Ride -- made it through six episodes of this before I realized I never want to look at another shojo series ever.
Argevollen -- set it aside after three episodes out of disinterest and too many shows otherwise, but apparently it's actually interesting now? May have to look at it again once it's complete if impressions are still good.
Sailor Moon Crystal -- watched the first episode. Then I forgot about it two weeks later and didn't bother watching any more of them.
Rail Wars -- tried the first episode then almost instantly regretted it.

PK Gaming

It's finally starting to sink in

No more Sabagebu!, Nozaki-kun, Locodol, Dandy, Barakamon, Jojo...

My weeks just got a whole lot emptier :(

Branduil

Tribe Cool Crew 1

It was okay, but the awful CGI dancing is a huge buzzkill. I don't understand why anime directors are so terrible at using it; you normally have a flat-shaded art style, so why are you using two-tone shading on the CG character? You're not even trying to make them blend in! It's like they think that just by using a cel shader, it automatically means we won't notice.

Jex

Log Horizon 2
I'm surprised with how far into detail they went with the explanation on moves and even classes.

Despite with not wanting to be involved in Guilds, he's going to go help one out since the guild is too weak to fulfill their current mission. It's interesting though, yes, Shiroe is the strategist, but in his mind he waa trying to see if the guild could handle it only before offering to do it himself. Didn't expect that actually.

The show seems promising so far. Although I could live without the OP

How dare you!

Jesus.

You gotta remember this is a Manhaw a Korean comic. So I wouldn't relate it to Great Teacher Onizuka which is a Japanese manga. Though keep on reading the manga and the sequel New Waves. But even if it does share similarities in the beginning what's so bad about that.

Anyways this is my top favorite Martial Arts series. Soooo good.

Droplet

So I just finished the first season of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I'm a little overwhelmed right now, both by the sheer volume of events that occurred (and that...one event) and with university work, but I'll find the time to write up a proper impression later, mostly because I think the show deserves it and that it's simply just a good way for me to put down properly the way I feel as it progresses. It'll probably also serve as an interesting comparison for when the reboot comes out in the coming year or so.

A couple notes:

- I can't get over the laser guns and storm troopers with axes, no matter how many explanations they give me.
- although the later episodes haven't had me tilting my head so much, earlier episodes tended to make me wonder if military tactics like scorched earth would work on a planetary scale. It seemed a bit odd to have the poor village of 100 people pleading for Alliance to save their planet.
- I really like that the show doesn't overexplain minor things and lets the viewers deduce things themselves, aside from some strangely unimportant dialogue in very early episodes. This is one of the shows I regret not being able to understand Japanese, as I spend a great amount of energy trying to read the subs and absorbing the information as opposed to getting a chance to look at the subtleties that are happening in the background.
- Damnit
Kircheis, your death flags were waving high ever since Reinhard's Napoleanic parallels began, but I didn't think it would happen so soon. I guess it was necessary as it was about time Reinhard started down the path of a despot. I still had a pretty good laugh when Reinhard's locket had some of Kircheis's hair in it. What was the target audience of this show again?

I still need to finish off most of the shows that just wrapped up like Barakamon and Free. I expect I'll have something interesting to say about Free given what I remember of the last episode I watched, which I believed to be oddly of quality for a show about shirtless boys, although impressions I've heard about the last episode lead me to believe they might not be very positive. I did finish Nozaki-kun, but given my familiarity with the source material I'm not so sure there's a whole lot to say.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You gotta remember this is a Manhaw a Korean comic. So I wouldn't relate it to Great Teacher Onizuka which is a Japanese manga. Though keep on reading the manga and the sequel New Waves.

Wait, why wouldn't a manhwa relate with manga?

You gotta remember this is a Manhaw a Korean comic. So I wouldn't relate it to Great Teacher Onizuka which is a Japanese manga. Though keep on reading the manga and the sequel New Waves. But even if it does share similarities what's so bad about that.

It doesn't matter if it comes from a different country the exact same set-up, character introduction and similar jokes is a bit too much. Not to mention it's an old work so chances are he was "inspired" by GTO. Regardless the similarities stop there

Wait, why wouldn't a manhwa relate with manga?

I meant to say why would the Author purposely copy Great Teacher Onizuka. I mean one has martial arts in it while Onizuka doesn't.

I should of worded it properly.

It doesn't matter if it comes from a different country the exact same set-up, character introduction and similar jokes is a bit too much. Not to mention it's an old work so chances are he was "inspired" by GTO. Regardless the similarities stop there

I guess your right. Though I'll tell you it's completely different later on.

Clov

That was a tough Google Image Search to get to.

Gotta love Mugi. :p

Part of me is surprised that there hasn't been an adaptation of K-ON! College yet. I've heard the manga wasn't that great, but I'm sure KyoAni could make it better. There's not a whole lot of college/university anime compared to high school anime, so I always appreciate them a bit more when I can find them.

At the same time, the movie ended on such a nice note that I don't really know if I'd want a continuation.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tribe Cool Crew:
That feel when you know an anime has potential but it's being squandered right before your eyes.

Syrinx

Hanasaku Iroha 5

Maybe this budding friendship between Ohana and Minko will become something nice and well done, but I just can't see these two gelling with their personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom