• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the Yamato 2199 blu-rays have a dub? That's a show that could become incredibly popular in the West due to sci-fi and its similarities to Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica
and Interstella 5555
. Also yes it also needs better prices.

duckroll

You might as well not even bother licensing something if you're not going to bother dubbing it, I find that far more egregious. I can live without the directors cut or a bonus ova, but the minimum for release in the US should be dub/sub standard.

You can live without the intended ending of the show? Nice to have low standards for paying for a series collection!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Do the Yamato 2199 blu-rays have a dub? That's a show that could become incredibly popular in the West due to sci-fi and its similarities to Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica
and Interstella 5555
. Also yes it also needs better prices.

If Starblazers 2199 had a dub then Toonami would have picked it up like yesterday, this Lich King has been high on the series, but no dub, no TV.

Clov

I disagree; I'd much rather have actual content, like the finished version of the show, or OVAs that were included on the Japanese release, rather than some dub. If I'm buying a foreign film, I don't expect a dub, and the same applies to when I'm buying a foreign TV show.

Yep, I agree. There's also some cases in which a dub would be too challenging (Flowers of Evil) and many cases where a title simply wouldn't sell enough to justify dubbing (which is a very expensive undertaking). This is true of many new anime, but also of lots of older anime being released here for the first time. There's not enough people interested in buying something like say, Belladonna, to justify spending the money to dub it. People who really care about the work itself will be fine with a sub-only release, especially when the alternative is no release at all.

Firemind

Considering how easy it is to legally view these shows online sub via Crunchy or other simulcast sites I see no value in paying for a DVD release that's the exact same content I already watched with a few directors cut changes. If I'm buying a DVD I'm buying it for the dub which is significant new content for me.

So, basically, home video releases for any tv show, film or documentary has no value to you.

Andrew J.

Amagi Brilliant Park 5

I guess this episode was the confirmation that I need to start enjoying the show for what it is, instead of what I wanted it to be. If they can spend a whole episode doing Indiana Jones fantasy adventure, and solve their monetary problems not with good management ideas or cuts to certain areas but
by selling anime collections
I should understand at this point that they wont be exploring management realistically. Which is fine, it still was an entertaining episode.

Did anyone really expect that out of this show? That's like thinking K-On! is going to be about music.

Code Geass 22

EK5nXIr.gif

I didn't expect that. No, really I didn't.
I don't think I've ever watched a show in which I see something that's been image macro'd 1000 times, and I then realize "Oh, this is where that's from" as much as Geass.
But it happened again. I got my context.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

duckroll

Also, Shirobako is the type of show that could REALLY use a dub.

I agree. Watching Shirobako without subtitles and understanding what is being said is a completely different experience from having to watch it with subtitles and having to pay attention to additional text on the screen which distracts from the rest of the scene. Content wise the show can be very dense with information, and it is clearly designed to be something where you have to listen to certain things being said while paying attention to something else on screen at the same time. Having a good dub would make the show significantly more enjoyable for people who do not understand Japanese.

You can live without the intended ending of the show? Nice to have low standards for paying for a series collection!

As someone who enjoyed Gatchaman Crowds and has not seen the directors cut ending but was pretty much okay with the TV show ending... yeah I guess I was. That and I did buy the cheaper Eva box set without the directors cut editions and didn't upgrade to the newer box set until it was much lower in price.

So, basically, home video releases for any tv show, film or documentary has no value to you.

Those still give me bonus content and feature I don't get with the streaming version IE commentaries, deleted scenes, etc. Plus the biggest reason for me to own physical is to let friends and family borrow shows I have, most of these friends and family don't watch subbed anime so having sub only releases does nothing for them (or me).

Girls und Panzer has nothing in common with either of those shows. "Trash" doesn't just mean "things I didn't like".

Girl Und Panzer is a stupid show with a stupid plot and stupid characters, it does have good animation coupled with goofy cgi tanks with 2d girls sitting on top. 5 episodes in and I don't see how anyone takes this show seriously it's completely bat shit crazy in premise and execution.

sonicmj1

Shirobako would be great with a good dub. But even when Sentai does do dub releases, their dubs are like, early 90s tier bad.

Actually, if Bass and Croc were watching Girls und Panzer with the Sentai dub, that'd explain a lot.

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works 4:
Well, yeah. A lot of this has already been covered by people, such as the random and pointless Illya nudity to some of the really stilted dialogue, the hilariously out of place flashback moment after being told he doesn't smile, etc. Rin's scenes near the end were fine, and the scenery still looks really nice, but the dialogue for a lot of scenes is quite bizarre. It's a shame to have an episode like this coming right after last episode which was pretty enjoyable.

Code Geass 22

EK5nXIr.gif

I didn't expect that. No, really I didn't.
I don't think I've ever watched a show in which I see something that's been image macro'd 1000 times, and I then realize "Oh, this is where that's from" as much as Geass.
But it happened again. I got my context.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Man, I remember watching that for the first time and
being in a state of absolute shock. I couldn't put the show down after it happened.
Now the ride really begins.

Shirobako would be great with a good dub. But even when Sentai does do dub releases, their dubs are like, early 90s tier bad.

Actually, if Bass and Croc were watching Girls und Panzer with the Sentai dub, that'd explain a lot.

If GuP had a good dub or I was watching the sub I would have dropped it like 3 episodes ago. The dub really enhances the series and makes it far more entertaining then it has any right to be.

Considering how easy it is to legally view these shows online sub via Crunchy or other simulcast sites I see no value in paying for a DVD release that's the exact same content I already watched with a few directors cut changes. If I'm buying a DVD I'm buying it for the dub which is significant new content for me.

Edit: Agree with Croc, Girl Und Panzer is trash, very entertaining trash ala Sword Art Online or S1 Valvrave but it's still a hot mess.

I'm not following you , here.
It's not about how easy it is to view the material , if you buy a dvd or a blu-ray ( because you want a psysical collection, because you don't want to rely on internet to enjoy your content , because lot of other reasons ) , chances are that , you want the complete product.

The point is that if you take a license for something, you have to release the goods as intended.

I'm not following you , here.
It's not about how easy it is to view the material , if you buy a dvd or a blu-ray ( because you want a psysical collection, because you don't want to rely on internet to enjoy your content , because lot of other reasons ) , chances are that , you want the complete product.

The point is that if you take a license for something, you have to release the goods as intended.

Well yes in a perfect world I would get a complete dub/sub directors cut edition, if I had to lose one of those things for US release or nothing at all I'd rather have a dub of the tv version then a complete version of the sub. I think I own one series that is sub only (Tales of the Abyss) and I mostly got them because the first two came with official English translations of the Asch manga.

Oh, you think cartoons are serious. Maybe that's your problem. Lol.

There is this thing call suspension of disbelief, I can totally suspense my disbelief and accept something like people who can fly and shoot beams from their hands or mechs beating each other in space. What I can't accept is any reality where you'd let high school girls drive tanks as a sport though towns where people actually live in and why not once is it every mentioned why there is no boys version of this sport or why this sport isn't co-ed (if this is answered later in the story I guess I'll find out).

duckroll

Well yes in a perfect world I would get a complete dub/sub directors cut edition, if I had to lose one of those things for US release or nothing at all I'd rather have a dub of the tv version then a complete version of the sub. I think I own one series that is sub only (Tales of the Abyss) and I mostly got them because the first two came with official English translations of the Asch manga.

So you'll rather have this:

Than a sub-only version of this?:

Crocodile

WOAH there, I may not like Girls und Panzer but I certainly wouldn't put it in the same tier as SAO or VVV let's get that cleared up right now! Also, to be frank, if I was watching GuP subbed, I doubt I'd still be watching. Very little about the show has been engaging and having to exert even more effort into something I don't find particularity engaging seems like a bad recipe.

Oh, you think cartoons are serious. Maybe that's your problem. Lol.

Let's be fair, I'm pretty sure you know exactly what he means here

Risette

A Good Citizen
WOAH there, I may not like Girls und Panzer but I certainly wouldn't put it in the same tier as SAO or VVV let's get that cleared up right now! Also, to be frank, if I was watching GuP subbed, I doubt I'd still be watching. Very little about the show has been engaging and having to exert even more effort into something I don't find particularity engaging seems like a bad recipe.
maybe if you weren't watching an awful dub you'd like it more ??

Ushinawareta Mirai wo motomete - 05

The plot tickens ...( not really ) With all this forshadowing since episode 2 i think i know exactly what's going on. I didn't need a whole episode dedicated to the shrodingger cat to make guesses .
Still given the parralel of the scene , i'd guess i can make some supposition to the true nature of our newcommer thank to this episode , because i don't think those events would be so unrelated.

She's an robot , sent to the past
Ushinawareta%20Mirai%20wo%20Motomete%20-%2005.jpg

That's not the kind of flower garden i love.

Computer club put up a good fight but the treasurer of the astronomy club is stronger...
I can relate to them , once , when i was starting to programm i once had the dream of making an Ai dedicated to me and i failed HARD , because this stuff is super very hard.
So 50 ai ? Color me impressed.

I still have my waifu Ai program from my school days ...maybe i should take some time to upgrade her features.

duckroll

Let's be fair, I'm pretty sure you know exactly what he means here

No, I honestly don't. He just pointed out that it is easier for him to suspend his disbelief for giant robots shooting laser beams than a sports show about girls in tanks. Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Dresden

I can totally suspense my disbelief and accept something like people who can fly and shoot beams from their hands or mechs beating each other in space. What I can't accept is any reality where you'd let high school girls drive tanks as a sport though towns where people actually live in and why not once is it every mentioned why there is no boys version of this sport or why this sport isn't co-ed (if this is answered later in the story I guess I'll find out).

sounds like you're more worried about the last part than anything else, tbh. Otherwise it's a naturally absurd premise that's very aware of itself and it's p.easy to appreciate.

fertygo

What the shit they addibg Ilya's nudity in the anime? Lolwut.. you can barely see her skin inthe eroge itself.. ufotable true color showed!

Narag

There's still a movie out there for people that doesn't like how GuP doesn't take itself seriously!

RL3SzD3.jpg

seriously, you could make a scale of GuP to Fury for any tank related shit and everything else would fall in-between.

Crocodile

What Bass is trying to say is that GuP (in our opinions at least) doesn't do a good enough job of selling the dramatic moments. Like there are several times when we are clearly supposed to feel for these girls and their trials and tribulations but all I can do more often than not is laugh or roll my eyes. Like that mom who nearly lost it when her daughter told her she was doing tankery. Was that not supposed to be comedic? Because that's how it felt to me. Sometimes yes, in a more absurd series, what is happening can feel more believable or earned than in a more grounded series depending on execution.

Also, put me as someone who would rather have the complete sub over an incomplete dub. I would sacrifice the GC dub if it meant they got the directors cut of the show. There is no denying that adding a dub adds a lot of value to a release though I understand that the economics of the anime market means not every series can get one :(

There is this thing call suspension of disbelief, I can totally suspense my disbelief and accept something like people who can fly and shoot beams from their hands or mechs beating each other in space. What I can't accept is any reality where you'd let high school girls drive tanks as a sport though towns where people actually live in and why not once is it every mentioned why there is no boys version of this sport or why this sport isn't co-ed (if this is answered later in the story I guess I'll find out).

There are 5 specials that are adding to the lore and explaining some aspect of the world behind the show. but for your question it is said in the first episode.

"Tankery is the ultimate sport for females to show their feminity"
So why would men play this sport ?

Yeah it's stupid , but since it's part of the premise of the anime ( said in the first episode ) , just accept it.

So you'll rather have this:

Than a sub-only version of this?:

I dunno that first one looks pretty bad ass

:p

maybe if you weren't watching an awful dub you'd like it more ??

I doubt I'd still be watching it if the dub was good or I was watching the sub

No, I honestly don't. He just pointed out that it is easier for him to suspend his disbelief for giant robots shooting laser beams than a sports show about girls in tanks. Sounds like a personal problem to me.

sounds like you're more worried about the last part than anything else, tbh. Otherwise it's a naturally absurd premise that's very aware of itself and it's p.easy to appreciate.

I'm willing to accept a lot in terms of "lol oh anime" but even I do accept a world where girls drive tanks for sport because "lol oh anime" there are still far better sport anime out there. I'm not a big fan of moe comedy or sports anime in general so a moe sports comedy is just a recipe for blandness. I started watching because "it's actually really good" from people I respected and I'm still waiting for that "actually really good" part to happen. I've watched enough bad dubbed anime to see a show that's good and say "this would be better if the dub wasn't crap" and GuP does not fall under this category at all. The bad dub really is the best part that makes the goofy comedy far more effective then it would otherwise be.

Firemind

There's still a movie out there for people that doesn't like how GuP doesn't take itself seriously!

seriously, you could make a scale of GuP to Fury for any tank related shit and everything else would fall in-between.
Please. The last act was totally not believable. Could not suspend my disbelief. What a bunch of jokers. Would not watch again.

duckroll

I'm not a big fan of moe comedy or sports anime in general

I think we found the real problem here. It's fine not to like something because you don't find it interesting. But that in itself does not mean it is bad. If the bulk of the objection is "I don't like this genre and I don't understand why anyone finds this interesting or funny!" then well... I think the answer is pretty clear. :p

Crocodile

When someone says something is good/bad, does a "IMO" always need to follow it? Unless elaborated upon, shouldn't the default assumption that they mean its their opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom