• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
FSN - UBW - 04

Am in agreement with the general sentiment here.

That opening scene with naked Illya.... "Well at least they aren't showing so much—oh god what's with this top view shot."

Besides the problems mentioned already I just gotta say that the general dialogue and exposition is written so poorly that it just bores me to no end.

Blusby

It's funny that you guys are lauding the writing in Fate/Zero so much since Nasu did have a really big impact on the writing for that. F/Z wasn't just a solo effort by Urobuchi.

From what I've read Nasu wrote the blueprints and had a heavy hand in its plot developments while Gen pretty much just contributed his prose, filled it in.

Jarmel

Banned
From what I've read Nasu wrote the blueprints and had a heavy hand in its plot developments while Gen pretty much just contributed his prose, filled it in.

That's my understanding too. Supposedly Gen did change some stuff though but by all accounts it was a cooperative effort.

Blusby

That's my understanding too. Supposedly Gen did change some stuff though but by all accounts it was a cooperative effort.

Also thank God for Nasu, Gen was gonna include a Loli Assassin as a big part in Waver's character arc but upon telling Nasu about it he just went "No, that's a bad idea" and it was scrapped.

sonicmj1

It's funny that you guys are lauding the writing in Fate/Zero so much since Nasu did have a really big impact on the writing for that. F/Z wasn't just a solo effort by Urobuchi.

Nasu can make a cool setting, and create a strong plot around it that builds from small details and individual points into powerful climaxes that thematically pay off the events of his story. Even from what's been spoiled for me, the plot twists and developments in F/SN seem like they'd be interesting and impactful.

But he can't write a dialogue between two people to save his life, which (especially in an adaptation) makes all his characters suck, which brings down everything else. All of the adaptations I've seen that are based on stories written by Nasu are plagued by these god-awful stilted conversations that either leave the characters involved blank or unnaturally obsessed with weird metaphysical and philosophical minutiae. Fate/Zero may have a Nasu-supervised plot, but it was also written in a way that kept him far, far away from the words that people say.

Jarmel

Banned
Also thank God for Nasu, Gen was gonna include a Loli Assassin as a big part in Waver's character arc but upon telling Nasu about it he just went "No, that's a bad idea" and it was scrapped.

Wasn't Gen also going to have
Kariya rape Sakura at the very end
or something and Nasu killed that idea too?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
When are we going to get a Remake of F/SN VN by the Butcher? Everything Nasu does is so bad.

Ahahahahaha. Jesus.

You people would seem like you've never even heard of Fate before Zero came out. A lot of this hypebolic malarkey just started out of tired memes from the 2006 DEEN anime.

If you want to get the full experience, try reading the source material, it'll do you some good in actually fairly evaluating the base work in its original medium.

Blusby

Wasn't Gen also going to have
Kariya rape Sakura at the very end
or something and Nasu killed that idea too?

Yeah I believe so, upon hearing that Nasu asked “What color is your blood, anyway!?”.

If you want to get the full experience, try reading the source material, it'll do you some good in actually fairly evaluating the base work in its original medium.

I actually think that watching this adaptation is the better option, it's already improving upon the source material though that's not much of a hurdle to jump. Also the Fate route is bad and is more likely to kill a person's interest in the series rather than piquing it.

Jarmel

Banned
Nasu can make a cool setting, and create a strong plot around it that builds from small details and individual points into powerful climaxes that thematically pay off the events of his story. Even from what's been spoiled for me, the plot twists and developments in F/SN seem like they'd be interesting and impactful.

But he can't write a dialogue between two people to save his life, which (especially in an adaptation) makes all his characters suck, which brings down everything else. All of the adaptations I've seen that are based on stories written by Nasu are plagued by these god-awful stilted conversations that either leave the characters involved blank or unnaturally obsessed with weird metaphysical and philosophical minutiae. Fate/Zero may have a Nasu-supervised plot, but it was also written in a way that kept him far, far away from the words that people say.

Nasu is godawful with dialogue. Mollusks and all that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I actually think that watching this adaptation is the better option, it's already improving upon the source material though that's not much of a hurdle to jump. Also the Fate route is bad and is more likely to kill a person's interest in the series rather than piquing it.

That's not true personally. I actually find the pacing of the series able to be much better swallowed in its original format, as your not running scene to scene having to adequately pace events based on run time.

If your explaining something important, that's not something that is going to fly wasting 10 minutes of episode time getting info dumped on, and thus things get impacted.

Reading at my own pace allowed me to much more accurately absorb the information presented and use my own imagine more. It was better still that i got the mental portion of the characters as well as it really helps define Shirou's actual intent versus what he may act like in a single animated motion.

Also, you already know this June, but i definately disagree with you about Fate. As an introductory chapter, its barebones compared to the other routes sure, but it was definitely not boring for me going through.

Amagi Brilliant Park 5

I guess this episode was the confirmation that I need to start enjoying the show for what it is, instead of what I wanted it to be. If they can spend a whole episode doing Indiana Jones fantasy adventure, and solve their monetary problems not with good management ideas or cuts to certain areas but
by selling anime collections
I should understand at this point that they wont be exploring management realistically. Which is fine, it still was an entertaining episode.

I do think Shirou is a much more interesting protagonist (I was going to say better, but lol) when you can actually see is internal thoughts. He's much less one-dimensional.

Link Man

Banned
Fate/Stay Night 4

Can't really understand why I'm still watching this, outside of having enjoyed Fate/Zero. Didn't really enjoy last week's episode either. I'll give it one more shot, at least.

Log Horizon s2e5

Excellent episode, great ending line. Looking forward to next week.

SAO 2: 17

lol fuck this show is boring when it loses all the drama. At least it's entertaining in a so bad it's good way when it's like that. Now it's just a generic harem. Well more than before. If things don't get grimdark soon consider it dropped.

Fate/Stay Night UBW - 4

Not exactly a good episode, but not as horrendous as I'd thought it'd be.

The only really bad things about it was the sequence before the opening, and like Jexhius said, that Vietnam flashback Shirou had. It felt so out of place and shoe-horned in.

Shirou should take a hint from Hunter X Hunter's OP and learn that HE CAN SMIIIIIIIIILE AGAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIN, TAIYOU ABIT-errherm, sorry.

Jarmel

Banned
SAO 2-17
ibk6zDGYIVTFQ3.jpg
This loot system is as bad as Destiny's. Two people get Mjolnir and Excalibur and the rest get XP and a title? Fuck that. I would be enraged.

Bungie confirmed as the developer of ALO.

Log Horizon 2 5
Everybody is getting owned though I don't see why couldn't they try to use another Royal Guard to try to stop the killer. They still would die but less people would die in the future

I dunno, the whole Fate/Stay Night "stuff" seems to have been widely derived ever since I've been a part of the fandom. I wasn't thrilled to hear Ufotable would be wasting their talents on it, in the same way that KyoAni waste their talents on the likes of KnK.

typo? derided?

Utena - 27 (Nanami's Egg)

When this show goes the wacky round, it does so full steam ahead. Nanami is best and funniest girl. Also worst but damn if these comedy-centric episode aren't ingenious.

Freezing 1-2

Saw this on Netflix, and remembered I was gonna read the manga a while ago, but never did. Probably a good thing as the show is kinda bad. It's like some weird mashup of different anime. The monsters they fight are basically crappy versions of Angels from Eva.

I rarely do this, but I think I'll just not watch the rest of this series. Two episodes of Freezing is more than enough.

Edit: And I gotta say, I really hate the sibling complex shit in anime. It's annoying.

I wish ufotable would be more liberal in their adaptation and just axe everything we don't need. Fate universe is pretty interesting, but right now F/SN is proceeding at a snail's pace. What even happened in this episode? Shirou recovers from the fight and gives Fuji her lunch, Saber meets a teacher and is introduced to the other two women, and Rin is surveying the area as always. Not saying we need action all the time; F/Z did a good job of keeping the audience somewhat intellectually engaged thanks to the teams plotting strategies and questioning morals and stuff. F/SN doesn't do this at all. It's so mindnumbing and slow.

Log Horizon 2 5
Everybody is getting owned though I don't see why couldn't they try to use another Royal Guard to try to stop the killer. They still would die but less people would die in the future

Actually there is a reason why they can't ..i don't want to spoil , but if you ask i can tell you why ...
There is actually 2 problems here
-Why the defense system isn't working when there is a fight within the city
-Why the kunie can't send other people to catch the guy since they have plenty of armors too .

----------------
Log horizon 2 - 05

Well this was a pretty good LH episode.... Angry Soujirou rocks so hard , i'm happy to see it in motion , dat set of dead eyes , magnificent.
Log%20Horizon%202%20-%2005.jpg

That look , so_good.gif
Akatsuki finnaly got a close up look at what the ENG translation call "teachings" ( not gonna get accustomed to that naming , lol ) , it's a first step ..
There was also this impressive lenessia moment with akatsuki , i was smilling all the way to the "moon"

All around this episode of LH was very good...

Log Horizon S2: Ep 5
Huh. Interesting. So it seems that
Akatsuki died due to the invincible assassin and Shiroe died alongside the raid team due to a massive wipe when they fucked up in the boss battle
. Nice to see the author is going full-on mechanics with the raid haha. Decent episode, still not what I like about the show but seems like next episode we'll have more Shiroe. That's all I wanted.

dan2026

I wish ufotable would be more liberal in their adaptation and just axe everything we don't need. Fate universe is pretty interesting, but right now F/SN is proceeding at a snail's pace. What even happened in this episode? Shirou recovers from the fight and gives Fuji her lunch, Saber meets a teacher and is introduced to the other two women, and Rin is surveying the area as always. Not saying we need action all the time; F/Z did a good job of keeping the audience somewhat intellectually engaged thanks to the teams plotting strategies and questioning morals and stuff. F/SN doesn't do this at all. It's so mindnumbing and slow.

We find out everyone wants to make sweet love to Shirou. Including apparently his teacher.

duckroll

Very glad that Shirobako has been licensed. I'll definitely pick that up.

Not sure if that's particularly good news, especially when the Japanese home video release has additional content. Sentai seems like such a terribly incompetent publisher at getting definitive material for releases. Maybe it's because they're so fucking cheap. Anyone buying Gatchaman Crowds from them isn't even getting the complete ending. How amazing!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
SAO 2-17
This loot system is as bad as Destiny's. Two people get Mjolnir and Excalibur and the rest get XP and a title? Fuck that. I would be enraged.

Also they are referred to as "swordmen" not "swordmen and swordwomen" or even the neutral "sword wielders". No coincidence it is only the men who are granted the quest exclusive items. Even the guest party member had to change sex in order to help them beat the boss. What a sexist game.

Not sure if that's particularly good news, especially when the Japanese home video release has additional content. Sentai seems like such a terribly incompetent publisher at getting definitive material for releases. Maybe it's because they're so fucking cheap. Anyone buying Gatchaman Crowds from them isn't even getting the complete ending. How amazing!

Wait the director cut ending isn't licensed ? that's stupid.
Edit : ??

i feel like i've said something similar months ago ...

High School Sega Girls - 4

LOOOOOOL

That giant Jeffery.

and the Space PTA.

And the next episode is going to involve Phantasy Star Online. That's going to be a fun one.

Oh man this show is great. Still patiently waiting on that Sonic the Hedgehog-focused episode though.

Breloom

Neo Member
Fate/Stay Night 04

I tried watching this episode twice, I fell asleep twice. Bad episode.. I enjoyed the previous episodes though so I will keep watching

Yeah, I guess that's true. I hadn't really thought about that. Hopefully Sentai will actually manage to pick up the additional material this time.

Gatchaman not even getting the completed version is a special kind of fuck you, though. Guess everyone should badger Sentai about getting the Exodus stuff included with Shirobako.

Defuser

SAO 2-17

At least they got a title of some sort. I came back from a crucible match with the entire winning team won nothing at all.

Clov

Sentai's worst aspects are how cheap they are and how lazy they are. As they've shown many times before, they aren't willing to go the extra mile, the most frustrating example being Gatchaman Crowds (Sentai claims that the extended ending belongs to another licensor). Their subtitles are damn ugly, too.

At the same time, they're at least willing to do sub-only releases unlike other companies. This let's stuff that normally wouldn't get a disc release at all to get out there. Hell, if it wasn't for them, would I have my Flowers of Evil BD? Who else would release something like that?

Overall I'm very ambivalent on Sentai as a company. I own many releases from them (got three as a present today actually; From the New World 1/2, and Nadia on BD) since they tend to release more stuff I'm interested in. Frankly I think that Shirobako getting a release from Sentai is better than none at all, though I would have preferred one from say, NISA.

Firemind

Your Lie in April #4

Stills: The Anime

Can we just get this healing done and over with? I know it's going to happen, you know it's going to happen. Cut to the chase instead of prolonging this melodramatic bullshit and proceed to the love rectangle and the melodramatic bullshit. Now that's something I can get behind!

You might as well not even bother licensing something if you're not going to bother dubbing it, I find that far more egregious. I can live without the directors cut or a bonus ova, but the minimum for release in the US should be dub/sub standard.

Fate Stay night Unlimited Blade Works - 04

Not a bad episode , just an eventless episode.
That's all i can say really. Most of the events in this episode aren't even really plot important .. it's just a cooldown for more stuff later.

World Trigger Episode 4
B1ZPzPdCQAA2L3Y.png

Every episode gets better and better. It was definitely the best one.

Kitora's personality clashing with Yuma's gave it the best comedy yet, and then Mikumo having a part in that aspect as well. Think they really did the manga justice this time

You might as well not even bother licensing something if you're not going to bother dubbing it, I find that far more egregious. I can live without the directors cut or a bonus ova, but the minimum for release in the US should be dub/sub standard.

I disagree; I'd much rather have actual content, like the finished version of the show, or OVAs that were included on the Japanese release, rather than some dub. If I'm buying a foreign film, I don't expect a dub, and the same applies to when I'm buying a foreign TV show.

I really disagree , here.
The minimum is to present the complete story available , regardless if you can or can't have enough ressources to dub it .
I dunno , maybe make a sub version and then dub it later ( like toradora ) .. but what matters first should be the fact that the complete story is indeed available in some form in your licensed release.

Sword Art Online II Ep 17

Wait, so the Calibur arc is over? If so, thank goodness. Thought it was going to stretch until ep 24 or 26. Wonder what the next arc is about.

Crocodile

Not getting the director's ending for Gatchaman Crowds is a product I can't support with my money. I'm still salty about that :(

Also, Shirobako is the type of show that could REALLY use a dub. If Girls und Panzer can get one, so should Shirobako (since you know, it's actually good).

I disagree; I'd much rather have actual content, like the finished version of the show, or OVAs that were included on the Japanese release, rather than some dub. If I'm buying a foreign film, I don't expect a dub, and the same applies to when I'm buying a foreign TV show.

I really disagree , here.
The minimum is to present the complete story available , regardless if you can or can't have enough ressources to dub it .
I dunno , maybe make a sub version and then dub it later ( like toradora ) .. but what matters first should be the fact that the complete story is indeed available in some form in your licensed release.

Considering how easy it is to legally view these shows online sub via Crunchy or other simulcast sites I see no value in paying for a DVD release that's the exact same content I already watched with a few directors cut changes. If I'm buying a DVD I'm buying it for the dub which is significant new content for me.

Edit: Agree with Croc, Girl Und Panzer is trash, very entertaining trash ala Sword Art Online or S1 Valvrave but it's still a hot mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom