• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalDeer

Twintails 02

This show..
C6FC7qJ.jpg
is..
Amazing.

Anime is saved.

But seriously, this is a nice little break from watching super-serious stuff. The perverted reptile-men are the best.

wonzo

Banned
holy fuck the video on the DVDs is widescreen and pillarboxed too instead of just being native 4:3 aspect ratio? And the transfers aren't even digitally-scanned? viz was really hoping that they would mostly sell to lapsed anime fans/casual buyers who can't perceive bad video quality huh

yeah i was hoping the dvd's didnt have these issues but it seems they just took the bd master and downscaled it. good thing i held off i guess ._.

hopefully someone rips the subs and slaps them on japanese dvd raws

I guess it's a good thing Rightstuf charged me sooner than later, given I didn't have the money at the time they decided to start taking payments for Sailor Moon. Guess I lucked out here.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
yeah i was hoping the dvd's didnt have these issues but it seems they just took the bd master and downscaled it. good thing i held off i guess ._.

hopefully someone rips the subs and slaps them on japanese dvd raws

I wasn't even gonna watch the BDs but this release is a brick now that the DVDs are worthless too. People even seem to think that the Hulu videos look better; how is that even possible?

Dunno if I can even return mine since I ordered from TRSI.

wonzo

Banned
I wasn't even gonna watch the BDs but this release is a brick now that the DVDs are worthless too. People even seem to think that the Hulu videos look better; how is that even possible?

Dunno if I can even return mine since I ordered from TRSI.
yeah getting a refund might be a stretch with tsri but it's worth a shot

i wonder how the itunes version compares to this mess

fertygo

Ace of Diamond - 55

That Furuya's throw is the best scene in whole series so far, fucking beastly

The beam effect and bomb sound, lmao.. its seem just accidentally put great effect with those cheap stuff.

Jex

It was also extremely clear from the start that once the tournament started, they would never lose, so every match up to the finale was a matter of watching to see how they pull themselves a win when overwhelmed. I think the actual tactics and direction of the matches made them pretty exciting to watch, but deep down everyone knows who will win the match. Gundam Build Fighters also suffers from this problem a lot, and I love that show too, but it would be better if the tournament formats had room for both victory and loss in individual matches.

There's two problems here that plague most sports shows is:

- The main character/main team couldn't possibly lose the final match because of some plot related reason.

- The tournament is structured as a 'knock-out' tournament where a single loss means the team is out. It's far more interesting if you have a tournament where the best team gets to go to the 'grand finale' and all the teams who lose games have a second chance chance to battle each other for a place in the grand finale. This would allow the main team to lose some matches and then still win overall.

Still none of that really matters in the grand scheme of things. These sports shows live or die by things other than that, for example whether you actually care about the characters, how well you can understand each match, etc etc.
Rewatching AoT on Toonami right now, it actually has a lot of similarities with Girls und Panzer regarding stuff that the show makes us want to think is serious business but can't actually follow through (though I guess in Titan's case its always supposed to be serious :p).

It's pretty clear that AoT just has bad direction (as well as bad composition, editing and animation).
ok

gonna watch twintail this weekend

believing in animegafhype.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I think the main problem with the series is that, at it's heart, it's a tokusatsu parody series. The problem here is that first Astro Fighter Sunred and more recently Samurai Flamenco have done such a great job of parodying and "deconstructing" that genres there's not much room for any more commentary on the subject. In the same way that Scream, and then much later, Cabin in the Woods appeared to say the "last word" on the horror genre, I can't imagine any other show having much more to say than Samurai Flamenco. It feels like it really covered all that ground already.

cajunator

Banned
You're going to think it's stupid.

we all think its stupid, but depending on the person that can be good or bad.

I've never actually seen all of Code Geass. Some parts of the first season and the last three episodes.

oh man. Season 1 is legendary. However I did have trouble getting into S2. Definitely watch S1 though!

Believe in the twintails that believes in you.

AWESOMEBEAR IS WISE

I clicked expecting to dislike what it said... but I agreed with it.

Code Grass R2 is a whole different type of enjoyment from S1.

Yeah. :(

Even Togashi is better then Isayama.

I kind of like the messy/dirty look of Isayama, it's distinctive, and he has improved a bit in the last volumes. He is still bad with human proportions some times.

This is the kind of art in the LNs for Twintails:

That's kind of impressive.

I think I heard about a "bad adaption" of Nausicaa translated as Warriors of the Wind before, but I didn't imagine it was that bad.

cajunator

Banned
Embrace the Twintails

You cant have TRUST without TUSR.

Courtesy aers on twitter, apparently Viz's Sailor Moon "BDs" have all sorts of video quality issues. This is beyond them just being the DVDs upscaled which everyone already knew about, mind; just in the provided sample there's horrible ghosting, blur, and even compression artifacts.

I sort of regret buying this now.

same. Ill keep it sealed for now and ebay it if it is truly ruined. Ill have to see how bad it is from other sources first. It arrives Tuesday.

I clicked expecting to dislike what it said... but I agreed with it.

Yeah. :(

I kind of like the messy/dirty look of Isayama, it's distinctive, and he has improved a bit in the last volumes. He is still bad with human proportions some times.

That's kind of impressive.

I think I heard about a "bad adaption" of Nausicaa translated as Warriors of the Wind before, but I didn't imagine it was that bad.

Yes that version does indeed exist. Those were dark times.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Warriors of the Wind is one of those films I've been tempted to watch, but I really don't want to tarnish, Nausicaä, a film I love.

dan2026

Seven Deadly Sins 5

Jericho's suffering begins.

And goddamn is this ending song catchy.
Definitely my favourite of the season.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If youve seen Naisicaa there is literally no reason to watch Warriors aside from curiosity.
Well I am a tad curious, which is why I have been tempted to watch it, but as they say, curiosity killed the Narag and that could dampen my reputation for a bit.

JCG

Courtesy aers on twitter, apparently Viz's Sailor Moon "BDs" have all sorts of video quality issues. This is beyond them just being the DVDs upscaled which everyone already knew about, mind; just in the provided sample there's horrible ghosting, blur, and even compression artifacts..

That's unfortunate. I wasn't exactly hoping for the best possible quality unless Viz got some new Japanese materials or something to that effect, but it sounds like someone messed up the upscaling process as well.

To be honest, that's always been exaggerated. It's distinct, but similar. You can draw a lot of connections on rewatch. Even if not too many folks care to do that, they're still present.

fertygo

Btw main character losing in final match (yeah like last eps/chapter)actually isn't that uncommon in sport title... its more common than let say action title actually.

CrossAnge 1-2

The thing that distinguishes this for me isn't that it's bad. An anime being bad isn't exactly noteworthy. It's the shitty eclectic mix they have made here. Like, a mech show, and the mechs fight against dragons from another world??, and it's also a sexplotation/fanservice show and also a women prison show. And who knows what else they will throw in in later episodes, surely a revolution war show and a romance story too in the second part.

It reminds me of people who puts chocolate and steak together; or not even that, as at least the individual ingredients in that case are good. Here the individual ingredients are mediocre or bad and then puts them all together to create something that it's worse than the individual pieces. Kind of like the howtobasic videos.
In other words: Sasuga Sunrise.

But you know what, there is some fine schadenfreude seeing the princess saying Norma aren't humans and they should be exterminated, and then to be revealed a Norma herself. Take that bitch.
Though it doesn't make a lot of sense. I thought normas were persecuted because in that society all works with mana, and normas seem to break it and be incompatible with mana in general. But she never noticed her breaking mana effects in her 16 years of life?

The end of the episode 1 was the "polemic scene" but funnily enough it seems it wasn't hard enough, because I thought the purpose of the scene was to break Ange and at least she would accept her situation, but nooo in ep 2 she is all "I'm a princess you can't order me around!". The scene isn't properly well used, they could have made it a more harsh and depressing second episode to follow, but Sunrise doesn't have it in them, this isn't Rainbow. Hell the other normas aren't as bad as I feared, it's more she is is in bitch mode and negating her situation.

Bonus points for the incest vibes for the bad guy.

edit: this is a luxury prison, not even a real prison!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom