• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

So Viz didnt even use the original film masters? (Assuming they still exist of course)

Upscales can provide a small increase in quality over SD if done well. But it usually isnt worth it.

Midonin

I think the main problem with the series is that, at it's heart, it's a tokusatsu parody series. I can't imagine any other show having much more to say than Samurai Flamenco.
I've been in the toku fandom for some time, and there's always more to say. Plus, you're limiting your scope to anime here. Akibaranger (from the same writer) is able to use the official materials from the Sentai franchise in its parody, and is fantastic. The recently completed After V was also really good. And that's without even mentioning the other Sentai parodies back there dating several years back, including Aikoku Sentai Dai Nippon, made by an early Gainax, or more recent short films like the Rolling Bomber Special.

The fact that Sunred and Samumenco have a mostly male cast while Twintail has a mostly female one is a different sort of thing that would open up an entirely different debate, but is also a factor in my response here. When it comes to a love of tokusatsu, even if it just wants to fanboy over it rather than "say" anything, Nyarko also comes to mind. That Twintails is a Sentai parody (though I'm starting to wonder if it is a parody as much as it is a slightly wackier but still serious take on the subject. Arakawa's Abaranger could be just as weird some weeks) isn't a problem, for me that's its greatest strength.

Cross Ange -05

And Lord Jesus Yamato fed the weak and the needy for he is our Lord and the savior of women everywhere. He is also quite skilled at sticking his nose right up their crotches whenever he falls a requirement of MCs everywhere though it is strange since he is not actually the MC here. Also Sunrise, that song montage was a bit much.

Jinsei 11-12

Hold over from previous season. How this show has maintained to keep me amused is beyond me. But it has managed to stay interesting the whole way through despite the fact it appears to be your typical harem anime on the surface. Can't wait to finally see that situation with the President resolved.

Donten ni Warau - 05

Welp. So the vessel
isn't an object.
Not sure I'll keep watching if anything happens to the vessel, which this early I don't think is going to happen. But it's definitely a cliffhanger.
WQKlkbg.jpg

Pooya

Cross Ange 5

One upped Up! Greatest love story ever etc.

Unlimited Shit 4
Ufotable must have wanted to make Fate/Prisma Illya but their pitch was too expensive or something.
Caster is coming up next so show is terrible for a while, probably stop watching for now until Caster shit is over.

Something that pisses me off about SN is that, for a first entry that introduces the rules of this war, it sure violates all of those rules. Not having seven masters is the worst one. you'd want to show a proper war the first time

Jarmel

Banned
The fact that Sunred and Samumenco have a mostly male cast while Twintail has a mostly female one is a different sort of thing that would open up an entirely different debate, but is also a factor in my response here. When it comes to a love of tokusatsu, even if it just wants to fanboy over it rather than "say" anything, Nyarko also comes to mind. That Twintails is a Sentai parody (though I'm starting to wonder if it is a parody as much as it is a slightly wackier but still serious take on the subject. Arakawa's Abaranger could be just as weird some weeks) isn't a problem, for me that's its greatest strength.

I would say Twintail is more of a light satire than a parody.

Tenumi

Banned
Courtesy aers on twitter, apparently Viz's Sailor Moon "BDs" have all sorts of video quality issues. This is beyond them just being the DVDs upscaled which everyone already knew about, mind; just in the provided sample there's horrible ghosting, blur, and even compression artifacts.

I sort of regret buying this now.

That's extremely disappointing. Normally I'm not one to really care about or notice video issues, but that.... that is extremely obvious.

--------------------------

SAO II: 17

God this is so stupid...

Clov

Courtesy aers on twitter, apparently Viz's Sailor Moon "BDs" have all sorts of video quality issues. This is beyond them just being the DVDs upscaled which everyone already knew about, mind; just in the provided sample there's horrible ghosting, blur, and even compression artifacts.

I sort of regret buying this now.

Ugh, I knew this release would end up being a mess the moment I heard that they upscaled the video instead of properly restoring it. Viz is definitely to blame for the video quality itself, though I also blame Toei for their incredible laziness; this isn't the first cel-bases title of thiers that they've just upscaled instead of doing a new HD transfer (see the Slam Dunk BDs, for instance).

Upscales of cel-based anime are pretty much the worst thing ever. Incredibly frustrating. Glad I'm skipping this release.

Vanadis - 05

I'm beginning to like Ludmila more and more, nice to see her more open. This one way castle battle reminded me of the Berserk bridge fortress, and half expected him to be able to go to the gate and just ask to get inside. But combined power settled the issue.
That bear disguise 10/10

Clov

I never trusted Viz anyway. Ever since Full Moon got aborted partway. Fuck Viz and their halfhearted releases.

What makes this worse is that people will still buy this halfhearted release just because it's Sailor Moon, just like how people still buy Funi's awful DBZ BDs for the name alone.

Brynhildr in the Darkness 08

Wait... Why is she wearing that mask? Where did that come from? Does it serve any particular purpose?

Kuroha goes all Magneto at least, Kazumi throws herself at Ryouta and undresses Kana and then there's a new girl set loose.

Clov

Not really. How would I have known about this?
Not preordering a popular item risks it going immediately out of stock.

While that's true, we have known it was an upscale since the day of the announcement thanks to the screenshot Viz provided for us... we just didn't know it would be this bad... :p

cajunator

Banned
While that's true, we have known it was an upscale since the day of the announcement thanks to the screenshot Viz provided for us... we just didn't know it would be this bad... :p

I mean the ghosting and such. NISA had this problem with ToraDora

Midonin

Cross Ange 05

The tone was somewhat lighter than the previous episodes, but I don't really want this Tusk guy to have too major of a role. There's a girl as the lead, let this be her story. Conflicted.

Celestial Method 05

Hooray! Yuzuki's a good girl at heart, and Noel can put on a light show the likes of which Disney wishes they could do. Shione's still kind of distant, but I trust she has her reasons as much as anybody else. It's one of the cutest shows of the season, and maybe it was the fireworks, but this episode gave me some major AnoHana vibes. Yes, I mean that to be a good thing.

Detective Conan 340:
The plot developments just don't let up with this run of episodes here. This is another key case due to the connections to Haibara's past. Once again we have some strong scenes with Haibara, between her flashbacks as she's having her feverish dream to her scenes with Conan and pretending to be asleep when Ran shows up. Things are getting real, and Conan is pretty concerned about how the organization could be making a move on them at any moment. I'm pretty excited that the climax of the arc (which I remember very well from the manga) is only a few episodes away.

Not really. How would I have known about this?
Not preordering a popular item risks it going immediately out of stock.

A niche title, sure, but I don't think there was ever any concern about Sailor Moon of all things going out of stock. They're going to produce plenty of it.

Brynhildr in the Darkness 09

Haha. What in the actual fuck?

Ryota almost gets his memories erased and things are real serious. The sudden cut to all the girls nude in a hot spring. Sure.

They manage to make friends with the new girl, but I guess she'll die later since she's not in the OP/ED.

Cross Ange - 05

Haha all those "convenient accidents". Why wait so long to untie yourself if you had a knife all along. Clearly the only explanation is that he planted the snake there, knowing she would go in there and get poisoned. Master pervert.
I too like to fondle my breasts after stabbing a dragon in the throat. Is that her maid coming? For a moment I thought Tusk was going to follow them and disguise himself just to hang out with Ange. Or maybe learn something about his family, I mean you just don't abandon a sweet island life for nothing.

Cross Ange 3

They killed best Norma, bah.
So this episode it's when she turns around in a climatic fashion. Yeah, episode 3, it makes sense. The whole blood on magical gem was hilarious but what you gonna do, it's Sunrise.

As bad this is in general sense and as awful is the fanservice, the series has a few well written scenes or characters, with some thought thrown in it. Like the captain, she was a sex-obsessed woman who tried to abuse Ange, but there was more to her character, she cared for her subordinates, tried to save the newer recruits, she was a good leader in battle and the squad was loyal to her, as they knew her virtues.

And it makes sense for Ange to being so bitchy and to negate reality as she did. We can imagine easily that most Normas are transferred to the island as babies or as much a 2-3 years old, so they don't know the outside world, they don't have preconceptions, they can resign themselves easily to what they know. But Ange was a special case having 16-17 years old, she has been educated all her life in a society that think Normas as mutants, they don't count as humans, it would be nice to clean society of that problem, etc, so the culture shock and denial was real, something that the other ones didn't have to suffer. When she finally accepts her fate and understand how her actions has cost lives, her first thought it isn't to just accept her Norma-ness and all will be okay, but to die as the princess she was, though of course in the end the will to live gains.
There is even some really good detail like the pudding that her fan gifts her, she accepts it, but when she is alone in her room throws it away to the garbage bin, until finally in this episode she recovers it from the bing and eats it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ah yes, good to see that TOEI's fuckery with the disc versions of Sailor Moon continues unabated. Indeed, I am apt to blame them over Viz because I remember this kind of shit fucking over the 2004 ADV DVD releases.

Ah yes, good to see that TOEI's fuckery with the disc versions of Sailor Moon continues unabated. Indeed, I am apt to blame them over Viz because I remember this kind of shit fucking over the 2004 ADV DVD releases.

Plenty of blame to go around. Both Toei and Viz have spotty histories when it comes to this sort of stuff.

cajunator

Banned

Yes the original US Dvd release was also fraught with problems.
I was warned against buying those.

Brynhildr in the Darkness 10

He's spying on her and there's a empty can there. Guess what happens next.

Well... That's a new OP. Oh, and it has new girl in it, so maybe she won't actually... Oh wait...

Indirect kisses is a big deal, everybody wants to take Ryouta's virginity and then yet another new girl. This time it's the most powerful one.

Cross Ange 4

This is actually kind of genius. Even if they are making a point about the character thoughts about her worthless self, about Normas and her relationship with friends and foes, they do it through copious amount of fanservice!

For the rest of the episode, more Ange slow growth as character. She has accepted she is a Norma and she lives to fight dragons, but that doesn't mean she is going to accept the rest as her allies and friends; she accepted to live to fight... but just that.
End is lolworthy, with the typical "ehhhhh?!!!"

Midonin

Wolf Girl 05

Erika, you really don't need to be jealous of those two. Just hook up with Ayumi already, she's perfect for you. Kyoya continues to waver between being a terrible person or just a really strong tsundere. The necklace was a kind gesture, he wasn't bluffing... he just did it in the worst way possible. This show does make me want to root for Erika, though. Not necessarily in getting together with Kyoya.

Tokyo Ghoul Illustration

1414946943298.jpg

Illustration done by Ishida Sui the author of Tokyo Ghoul for the second season of the anime. The art looks splendid as always.

The only thing I'm looking forward to for the second season is Kaneki beating some ass.

Pocket Monsters Best Wishes 18:
Hey, this was a pretty enjoyable episode. Arti is a really amusing character. I loved his reactions to various things, and the music that played for him really did a great job of underlining his character. The developing relationship between Satoshi and Kurumiru was also enjoyable. Kurumiru was pretty tsundere towards Satoshi (it's not like I want you to get me or anything, so don't get the wrong idea). I really appreciated how laid back the episode was; it was mostly just focused on the characters enjoying a carefree life and taking things slowly. I think episodes like this work from time to time as a nice change of pace.

I hated Skypeia Arc, it was a great idea that was not executed properly.

Skypiea gets hate from a lot of people, but I really liked it. I loved the environment, and the big free for all with all of the various forces running across the island and eliminating one another was great. Plus, it had a great climax.

I think the setting and the characters went a long way to making that arc for me.

Brynhildr in the Darkness 11

Oh my god.

Another girl manages to escape, so you know what that means. Yep, another trip to the hot springs. She finds out that Ryouta is a really nice guy and then Ryouta re-discovers the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom