• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

So animebros how'd Alnoah end up? I only watched like 4 episodes because the autistic-like main protagonist was getting in my nerves way too much and the story wasn't hooking me at all. Felt way too been there done that. Worth a watch in the end?

Not even the combined power of Urobuchi/Ei Aoki/
Sawano
was enough to make me keep watching.
Going by GAF reactions, yes.

sonicmj1

So animebros how'd Alnoah end up? I only watched like 4 episodes because the autistic-like main protagonist was getting in my nerves way too much and the story wasn't hooking me at all. Felt way too been there done that. Worth a watch in the end?

Sawano

I've enjoyed watching the plot totally crater in on itself, but I couldn't in good conscience recommend it to anyone else.

Sawano

You watched the better part of the season, so if you didn't like it, you bailed out at the right time. And no, it's not worth watching.

Aldnoah.Zero should be called Aldnoah/Zero.

Because it should be improper and undefined. Neither good nor bad. It just sucks your soul. If it wasn't for the Wire I would have hated myself for watching it as far as I did. Thank god for amazing tv shows to help fuck the pain away.

neregate.com-Winter-2014-2015-Anime-Chart-v1.jpg
So many things i want
  • Zestria
  • Tsukimonogatari
  • Durarararararararararararararararararararara
  • Shinmai maou no testament ( the one anime everybody will watch but nobody will be able to post about it because everything will be NFSW )
  • idolmaster Cinderella girls
  • Kancolle ( it's going to suck , but i'll watch it anyway )
  • Seiken Tsukai no world break ( a generic harem show that nobody will watch because it'l be terrible )
  • Kamisama Hajimemashita ( Hyped for this one , hopefully they won't butcher the kyoto chapter )
  • Dog days" ( cajun will sqee and so will I )

Twintail 05

Empion. Gai Ikari. Nobuo Akagi. Arakawa and fanboy characters have a long history. Erina is rather Yumeria-like, in how she's an open fangirl of the story's events, but also has the best social life of the core three. I'd say Mikoto is our Kozkoz, but until she can dance like the Koz, I'm holding off my judgment. I think Tail Yellow might BE one of my favorite powers yet. It's bursting with potential.

Then we have Deboss and Robogog arguing about breast size (I'm siding with the chaos butterfly on this one. Robogog's not enough of a talking head to convince me) while Shitari mediates. The revelation of the leader of the villains being a mere human is something that's being done in Sentai right now. The Shadow Line in Toqger has been run by a guy named Z for a good majority of the series.

And Aika, heroes can't change colors. That requires a Line Change, and your suits aren't equipped for that possibility. What I'm saying is, now with the team complete, I need a roll call, and everything will be perfectly Sentai. This is the tokusatsu spirit, so strong that none can break i-s that a Zyuranger figure in the preview?
dAM%N THAT SOUND AWESOME.

Can't wait to watch the episode !

Working!! 13

Lots of things happen by mistake, nobody gets hit and Takanashi compares his date to a dog, so the date is a success then by anime standards.

So, it started out funny, but then it gets really bogged down with all the romantic stuff. Now, there's nothing wrong with romance, but in this one it's not really that interesting. The comedy isn't all that great either. A lot of it is just people getting punched.

I actually like a lot of the characters though, so it's a bit disappointing that the show itself doesn't have a better mix of comedy and romance.

It's decent, but not that good, so 3/5 Working!! logos:
ytfvZ2o.png
ytfvZ2o.png
ytfvZ2o.png
KefTB1v.png
KefTB1v.png

More proof if needed that the 5 point scale is broken and doesn't work properly.

Twintails 5
Tailyellow is finally here with explanation on how her figure is better. And also, factions between the guildy on boob sizes.

Thoraxes

I got Yuri Kuma Arashi, Jojo, and SHAFT cute girls eating cute food.

Winter 2015 for season of the year for both 2014 and 2015.

Hell yeah.
Lesbian Bear Storm is definitely worth hyping as high as possible. 2015 Anime of the Year favorite already.

Well, I loved Penguindrum, so that just makes me even more hyped.

Ikuhara has never let me down.

We are anime soulmates.

I look forward to the return of our savior Ikuhara.

Yuki yuna wa yusha de aru - 05

Awesome episode

10/10 episode.

I don't have the words

WHAT A FIGHT!
They trully went all out on the effects , the scenarios and the characters.... MUCH IMPRESSED.
Yuki%20Yuna%20wa%20Yusha%20de%20Aru%20-%2005.jpg

Trully the only club the world needed !!!
I'm very happy the show didn't go on the "monster of the week route" and blasted on that stereotype at full force by providing what could have been a season finale with this episode.
I'm legit impressed and legit schoked they went this route , because i'm actually wondering where the show will go and how the show will evolve. This episode was a bold move , so far it works ..... and you can bet i'll be there next week to see what happens to the characters

The yuri subtext was only a bonus at this point
Ps: The club rules "now in context" are awesome, too !!

cajunator

Banned
Aldnoah.Zero should be called Aldnoah/Zero.

Because it should be improper and undefined. Neither good nor bad. It just sucks your soul. If it wasn't for the Wire I would have hated myself for watching it as far as I did. Thank god for amazing tv shows to help fuck the pain away.

What exactly does "fuck the pain away" mean? How does one "fuck the pain away"?

I got Yuri Kuma Arashi, Jojo, and SHAFT cute girls eating cute food.

Winter 2015 for season of the year for both 2014 and 2015.

Hell yeah.

We are anime soulmates.

I look forward to the return of our savior Ikuhara.

Cant wait!

For those that miss CorvoSol's posts, he now has a tumblr where I presume he'll be posting all of his reviews from now on, his most recent one being a review of Selector Infected WIXOSS.

Yuki yuna wa yusha de aru - 05

Awesome episode

10/10 episode.

I don't have the words

WHAT A FIGHT!
They trully went all out on the effects , the scenarios and the characters.... MUCH IMPRESSED.

So is this show like, Magical girl TTGL or something? Like, is this show Super Robot compared to Madoka Magica's Real Robot?

Midonin

Since drumming up support for anime original material is tougher than adapted material, I've got just the thing to hype up Rolling Girls.

The lead heroine (Nozomi) is voiced by Ari Ozawa, aka Chiyo from Nozaki, in her second major role. That should do it.

Psycho Pass 2 05

My God that mobile game part was so fucking dumb. Just awful.
This gets dumber every episode. Somehow. Eventually Cross Ange will surpass this in quality
and at least that show is entertaining

Shirobako 05

See, this ep only proves that CGI is the devil and that duckroll is wrong about everything.

So is this show like, Magical girl TTGL or something? Like, is this show Super Robot compared to Madoka Magica's Real Robot?

Very hard to say what the show is , but one thing for sure it's defintely an hybrid of many genres.

-It's a magical girl show
-There is a sense of dread where you won't be surprised if things go wrong ( very wrong )
-There are clear moments of "downtime" where you see the characters in their everyday life ( it's not a non-stop action show )
-They don't hesitate to get close and personnal with the fighting

-Decent array of powers for each character ( well balanced team with 1 tank( one handed swordwoman ) , 1 healer /support , 2 close range DPS ( monk & samurai ) , 1 long range dps ( sniper ))

-Teamwork in order to win in necessary.( the friendship and club aspect of the show is a strong point of the narrative )

-The visuals are very nice

That's all i can say without spoilers.

so i guess my answer will be "NO" to both questions

That's all i can say without spoilers.

so i guess my answer will be "NO" to both questions

Hmm, I guess I'll still wait on it then.

I mean, from what I've heard, it doesn't seem to be blatantly ripping off Madoka unlike that Day Break Illusion show, but if it has a similar tone to Madoka's, then I'm just gonna wait for the "WELP" reactions before I dive in.

I did that with Madoka when I heard everyone talking about the infamous episode 3, so I think I'll do the same with this one.

Jarmel

Banned
Yuki Yuna-4

Yep someone's definitely getting the axe. They're not even subtle about this. That Death card shot...

There was a song in the middle that was straight out of Nier. Like straight out of it.

Firemind

Your Lie in April #5

Why can't I hold all these insecurities?

Seems like he's idolizing her to the point of GirlJesus. Poor Tsubaki. Her shocked expression in the last episode after insecure guy suddenly gained confidence near the end of the performance makes sense in context now. And so it begins.

PSYCHO PASS 2 - 05

"They are similar yet different "

ok then .

So i guess everyone that isn't a regular will die next week, that was a very nice and convenient to "trim the fat " considering the upgrade the "investigation team " got.

i think i understand what will happen this season: kamui will use every loophole possible to showcase just how messed up this sybil society is...

Pretty sure that little inspector will be eaten alive , but i'll say that her action this episode regarding "that" guy were ok .

Gundam: Reconguista in G 7:
Klim Nick is essentially the greatest genius in the history of anime. The only thing that comes close to his genius is the acting skills that Bellri's mom has on display. What an Oscar worthy performance that was.

Pretty much every scene with Klim and Raraiya is really weird and kind of hilarious.

Voice Actor: Dragon Ball Z Kai's Ocean Dub Coming Soon

Just when you thought there would be a Dragon Ball show that didn't have multiple dubs. That said I'm be interested in listening to this dub when, if ever it comes out.

What? Why? Who asked for this?

Jarmel

Banned
Yuki Yuna-5

Welp this was a nice miniseries. They wrapped the entire show up in 5 episodes. Wait there's seven more?

Someone is randomly going to get killed next episode.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 152 (engDub)

Catching up slowly, its a good thing to watch
while taking breaks in preparing for a prelim exam
. Hopefully will finally get back to Gundam Seed Destiny HD BD after Im caught up.
B1znrgKCQAAqT-8.png

Anyway excellent Miwa fight. Misaki Tokura's deck is not good, I liked Goddess of the Half Moon, Tsukuyomi and Goddess of the Full Moon, Tsukuyomi deck much more.

Defuser

Psycho Pass 2 ep 5
Yeah Mika will be eaten alive all right....
by Yayoi and maybe Shion lol

Man Togane is really creepy with all that photos and more deaths...Jack Thompson was right.

Jarmel

Banned
Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru feels like a response to Madoka Magica. Note that I didn't say copy or derivative. It's very clearly inspired by Madoka while still doing its own thing so far. There is so much emphasis placed on death and tragedy yet the core of the show remains very light hearted. You have tarot cards showing up repeatedly with Death on them or somebody writing instructions if they're killed in action. Yet episode 4's core story was about the younger sister possibly failing her singing test. The show that uses this foreboding atmosphere to create a sense of tension and dread similar to Madoka but hasn't so far done anything with it. I would say it was the director and writer watching Madoka and trying to come up with a version that retained the more 'happy' traditional elements of a magical girl show while giving an 'edge' similar to the one in Madoka. In Madoka there were very much real stakes involved and Yuki Yuna emulates that to a large extent.

This has both benefits and negatives. The benefits so far is that the show has really tried to develop a sense of comraderie between these girls and you really get a sense of not only them as individuals but also their relationships with each other. There's more time seeing them in a natural environment before the other shoe drops, and it will. That's the negative in that the audience is waiting for somebody to have a Mami moment and it makes you appreciate that Madoka Magica got that out of the way by the third episode. That said the audience clearly knowing, and possibly wanting, someone is going to die, gives many of the scenes a scary element in that one of the girls might not survive. So far Yuki Yuna has sort of reverse trolled, in that they keep giving these fakeouts, which leads to me believing that someone is going to die randomly with very little buildup. That way the show can continue with that tense atmosphere.

I would also note that this show is shallower than Madoka as well. Madoka wasn't just about the magical girl component but was rather a Faustian look at how rules and regulations bind the thinking of an individual. There really isn't that level of thematic depth to the show which is a shame. There have been hints that something is off about how and from who the girls receive their orders but nothing has been revealed yet so I don't know where they're going with that.

fertygo

Your lie in April - 05

Man, this episode looked insanely good.. like movie quality good, holy shit.. those cloudy town shot and last scene is fucking grand.

Yuki Yuna-5

Welp this was a nice miniseries. They wrapped the entire show up in 5 episodes. Wait there's seven more?

Someone is randomly going to get killed next episode.

There are many ways to continue the show .
They
better start to explain just what they were fighting, what is their god and i'm not even sure we can be sure that was the only opponents that they needed to fight.
And we can tackle the repercutions of the fight on the real world and so on.
and that's not even counting the slice of life episode they can put in between.( club activities )

-------------------
Akatsuki no Yona - 01

I don't dislike those kind of shows , ( 1 girl + cast full of men ) but one condition for my enjoyment is the fact that the girl must stand on their own . saiunkoku monogatari did this perfectly by having a strong lead despite the setting.

Yona gave me the exact opposite feelign in the first episode , mainly because our princess is naive to a fault, and relies too much on things that aren't hers. i do enjoy the fact that she questions her duties and what might be her predetermined fate but that's it.
I hope that the BETRAYAL that she experienced will wake her up , so she can quickly become intresting, because so far , i'm not convinced.

Still the anime is not dropped , because there is still the possibility of a reversal in dynamics ( the OP was not subtle with this ) and the fact that i can expect a long and harsh road for our heroine.. she better EARN her reverse harem

A naive princess , betrayed by the person she loved , and crying after losing the most important person + familly was somewhat satisfying to watch , no i'm not heartless , i just want this to be a wake-up call .

Jarmel

Banned
Your lie in April - 05

Man, this episode looked insanely good.. like movie quality good, holy shit.. those cloudy town shot and last scene is fucking grand.

It's beyond impressive that just one person did all those sequences.

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/d2a21d3f57deccb8423a7f10542d2083.webm

This is someone just drinking water from a bottle and it looks great. Like what the hell, it's just someone drinking and the fluid animation inside the bottle is that good.

Your Lie in April 5:
This was an amazing looking episode. The animation was great, the direction was very strong, and just about every scene was framed really well. I loved the way various facial shots only showed part of the characters profile depending on the scene. There were a lot of good facial expressions throughout the episode, and everything looked really nice. The episode also did a good job of cutting between flashbacks and present day material, and they kept the themes of the episode in hand at all times.

The final scene was a really great moment; it was built up to throughout the episode, but it also should represent a big turning point for Kousei's character. The music continues to be outstanding in just about every scene. I'm excited to see where these characters head to next.

Midonin

This is what I needed to see. Not the battles, but the stuff outside of them. Even better, I see no sign of an Admiral anywhere.

I get the schoolyard antics of (early) GuP.
The anthropomorphization of Upotte.
The battles (and hopefully yuri subtext) of Strike Witches.

And a cast that'll rival iM@S Cinderella Girls' in size.

All the good parts of the cute girls + military series have combined into something that finally hits a sweet spot for me.

Akatsuki no Yona - 02

Damn the tragedy continues , for a prologue and as a way to establish the current intrigue, that was VERY EFFECTIVE.

Akatsuki%20no%20Yona%20-%2002.jpg

Not a nightmare , just your 16th birthday !

So our heroine lost everything , her status , her friends , her familly , her beloved , what a 16th birthday !
The shock isn't going to be digested any time soon and it's not the promise of what is to come at the end of the episode that won't make me feel that the road won't be any less harsher than it is currently.

it was an alright episode, will continue to watch.

CorvoSol

So I heard people were worried I wasn't coming back, so I guess I'll interrupt the flow of the conversation for just a minute to explain my absence of late. I'm currently working on getting an internship that'll allow me to finish my degree off-campus. I've been kinda running around like a mad hen, and haven't had a whole lot of time. When the internship starts I'll likely have even less because I'll be in a place with terrible internet and juggling a full-time teaching stint while also trying to finish my degree.

Got me a tumblr to help keep track of those long posts I do so I don't have to dig through fifty bazillion pages of archives to find a post I did. Not sure yet how that'll work out for me, haha.

Also: Wixoss is SHIT.

That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom