• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Tangentially related: if the wage for key animation is so low, then how come endou lives in a nice house with big screen TV?

I believe his wife has a job too, but it's part time at the cleaners(?)

Slap me on the head if i'm missing something huge.

Syrinx

Tangentially related: if the wage for key animation is so low, then how come endou lives in a nice house with big screen TV?

Well she did skimp out on going out to coffee with him on the grounds that they had a mortgage to pay. So maybe money's tight. Or she's thrifty.

duckroll

The show already mentioned that they took out a loan for their place. So it's not like he's super rich or anything. It looks like they got married and just wanted a nicer place to live.

Also, Endo isn't just an animator, he's an animation director. That's far above entry-level. Someone like him would have been working in the industry for a significant amount of time, and it means that aside from getting paid for animation work (like that explosion scene he would have done), his primary source of income would be contract basis work as an animation direction for an entire episode, or an entire movie/OVA/series depending on the project. What he does as animation director is to check and correct the animation for the rest of the work being done on that episode, for quality and consistency.

For such work he is contracted to the studio for the duration of the project, and he's paid for each episode he works on, so it would be closer to being salaried.

Edit: Also worth noting that the episode does show how conflicted he is about "quitting" his job. He doesn't tell his wife about it, and he is clearly hiding behind his pride but he doesn't want to lose the gig. It's a good position, and if he quits on studios like this over childish stuff, it would hurt his reputation and could make it harder for him to get jobs like this in future which would affect his financial situation.

wonzo

Banned
B10qSsVCEAAGZUR.jpg:large

FUCK YES

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

FANTASTIC NEWS!

Ore monogatari anime will be a blast!

Shirobako 5

Tarou is shit. SHIIIIIIIIIIT!

Oh wow, a reference to Kitano circus. A mini cell in anime studio? I won't be surprised if this is based on real life as well...
2D vs 3D will be something that will be debated for a long time. I mean, Sidonia is a success in Japan, so there's definitely a demand for it. But Kitano right, using 3D can help making the anime better. A hand drawn animation will exist as long as there's a demand. But, i agree with what duckroll said. Animator should be paid more, and a better working environment.

Also, fuck Tarou with a force of a thousand sun. Screw him. Please demote or fired him

fertygo

The one that had big ass TV isn't Endou, its the glasses dude that I forgot the name.. I want to know about that too lol

duckroll

The one that had big ass TV isn't Endou, its the glasses dude that I forgot the name.. I want to know about that too lol

Oh the guy watching Gravity at home? He's the Composite Director. They're usually the head of the digital departments in studios, responsible for overseeing the composite production for everything, the 3D staff, etc.

fertygo

Oh the guy watching Gravity at home? He's the Composite Director. They're usually the head of the digital departments in studios, responsible for overseeing the composite production for everything, the 3D staff, etc.

Does those guy also earn bigger cake like let say sound director?(or whatever they called)

duckroll

Does those guy also earn bigger cake like let say sound director?(or whatever they called)

Sound Directors make a ton of money because they can work on a gazillion shows from every fucking studio at the same time, since they're freelance. I think Composite Directors are staff positions within the studio, either internally in an anime studio, or at a composite studio like T2 Studio. They're probably decently paid, but I don't think they get to abuse the system like Sound Directors do. Lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Lgend of Korra, Book 4, Episode 6:

God damn it, Legend of Korra, I have never seen an alleged villain be so right about the situation, you have utterly failed in this regard series, I could not be cheering for Kuvira more right now. For fuck sakes, Korra herself rightly pointed that Su Lin was the aggressor here and really Korra was fighting out of a sense of obligation to the Avatar mantle more then anything else. Su Lin is a coward and traitor to the Earth Kingdom, she deserves to removed from powered and locked away for trying to tend to her own garden while the larger kingdom burned. Also, Kuvira pointed out something that I had been thinking about weeks ago, this is an internal dispute and Kuvira is doing what is deemed necessary. To my great shock, Kuvira pretty much kept her word about things, though trying to kill the Avatar outright was a little much. Also, Zao Fu still stands, I was certain that it was going destroyed by a death beam. Speaking of which, Verrick and Bolin is a great team and I want more of that. Also, how sad is it that Zhu Li is a bigger character then either Asami or that other guy, Ma-Ku I think. Of course, now the stage is set for Kuvira to actually overstep some bounds because the business of uniting is over with the fall of Zao Fu. Yet she harbors the ambition still of building a super weapon. If you have been paying attention to the map, then you would have seen Republic City marked with a Red X. Yes, I think Kuvira is going to be marching with the old Earth Queen's ambition. God damn, I have been enjoying this season.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Amagi Brilliant Park 6

These critters are lewd as fuck. I don't think I've ever heard the term "itching the ditch" before, either.

phaze

You're missing out on the wonder of Hanada Shounen-Shi.

(which has a much better animated OP than I remember!)

Man Backstreet Boys in an anime. Who would have thought. Nostalgia overload.

Oh, you're watching Ergo Proxy? RIP.

D:

Ergo Proxy 2

Most of the episode dealt mainly with the fallout from the events of the pilot. Despite being the granddaughter of the regent, Rel finds her recollection of events disregarded and sees that the evidence is tampered with while she has go through a list of totally innocent suspects. To add insult to injury, she's suspended from her job at Intelligence Bureau because of concerns of her psychological well being and her personal droid has no recollection of the events of the previous day. Clearly though, Iggy's memories are not the only thing being tampered with because I remember this show looking much better yesterday. The production values took an unfortunate nosedive especially in the first half of the episode.

Other than that:

- Re-L finding the locket at her house after it has already been searched through by the Security bureau seems like a stretch.
- And damn I should have realised sooner that there was more to Vincent than meets the eye. Him having his eyes shut the whole time should have been a clear give away.
- Those AutoReivs sure do love praying when shit goes down.

sonicmj1

The Dragon Dentist

That was pretty cool. It maintained a good sense of mystery throughout about what dragons are, and what the protagonist's role is going to be. Though it sort of feels like a prologue, it's also a complete story in its own way.

The strange thing about it is how much of the setting is tied up in World War II. That's not something you see much, especially as a foreign viewer, and there's a mix of both pride and fatalism that suffuses the entire piece.

It's an encouraging start to the enterprise. If it keeps delivering interesting new ideas like this every week, it'll be well worth following.

dan2026

Shirobako 5

Damn Aoi and Taro are kinda cute together.
His incompetance is sort of charming.

On the 2d vs 3d thing. 3d works best when it is enhancing 2d. I hate that western animation has gone full 3d. Its kinda depressing.

duckroll

The Dragon Dentist

Yeah it was a really weird short, but definitely promising in terms of what the project has to offer. It's really high quality, and the content is extremely original and liberating. The war analogy is really heavy handed, but the perspective is personal enough that I didn't feel it was being dumbed down, but rather the heavy handedness is part of the theme itself. There's nothing subtle or passive about being part of a war machine, and the fantastical metaphor of the dragon dentist seems like a bittersweet love song to the patriotism of all those non-combat volunteers who supported the troops in war and ultimately died for the cause.

I'll love to see more shorts in this crazy WW2 dragon mobile fortress setting though. I wonder if there'll be more set in the same world in this omnibus series.

Kimiuso 5
Lovely animation, and very technically polished directing that nevertheless doesn't really deviate from what's been established by the previous episodes. Ishihama uses plenty of flashbacks to impose over the internal monologues rather than a lot of fancy visual metaphors, but it's still pretty much the same mode of presentation, just with less pink bloom and less sakura petals. It's a problem when the shitty-ass comedy keeps running throughout the whole episode, but at least this time the deformed bits were fun to look at thanks to Kojima's animation.

Also, all these emotional monologues end up feeling extremely repetitive. The guy has gone from dubitative to "omg she's kirakira" almost every episode, always in the same fashion, and even the content of what he worries about each time keeps getting pushed onto the audience over and over again. It's not so much of a problem with the overblown dialogue itself. For me, that kind of comes with the territory. But just the complete lack of ideas for what to do with these characters brings the whole thing down, because they keep harping on these tropes in the most mundane ways instead of uh, I dunno, getting actual characterization. It might improve if they branch out from the main duo and start doing things with the supporting cast like in this episode, but the way they handled the former kind of drains any hope for the latter being good.

Glad I saw your post as that's pretty much how I see it as well.

I just wish they'd shut Kousei up. This amount of terrible monologue could only be explained if it's a very close adaption of a LN, which isn't even the case, right? Why can't they just let the scenes speak for themselves for crying out loud. Let Kaori jump in the river and let us see Kousei's reaction via facial expressions and so on. Then maybe have say a word or two and jump in as well.

This kind over never ending, repetitive as fuck monologuing is killing me. It also feels rather ridiculous that these two would talk in the manner they do and is rather jarring in Kaori's case considering her usual appearance.

Shirobako - 05

Meanwhile this. I still love this.

Working!! S2 03

Nazuna makes herself new friends.

So she's still working at the restaurant sometimes then... And for free? Huh. Wouldn't this go against some kind of child labor laws? :p

Izumi heads out for the first time in ages as well and manages to meet Inami and misunderstand lots of things.

Midonin

selector spread WIXOSS 06

Ruko, I totally get what you're getting at. You want some way to end this. It's not going to be easy, especially not since Akilovely looks to have completely snapped. Even more than before. The revelation that
Iona and Mayu were once the same person
is a curious one. What exactly caused them to split, if so? So many questions being raised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom