• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Ergo Proxy 03

lainf5scb.png

Where Lain gets herself a new bear suit and being Vincent is suffering.

Is this city floating in the sky or something ? That fall looked like a big one.

Cwarrior

Ergo Proxy 01

Geee A city with a multitude of subservient, slave androids and a virus named "Cogito", what can possibly go wrong ? I'm not particularly into Blade Runner like themes and so far this appears to be going in that direction but it shouldn't impair my enjoyment or appreciation of the show.

This was a pretty great opening episode. There were a few bits of awkward exposition but that aside, the necessary introductions to this post-apocalyptic world did not break the flow of the events. Mainly of the investigation conducted by what appears to be Ergo's main character Re-L .(Rel?) She is an instantly likeable protagonist and she has a fun dynamic going on with Iggy. Being the granddaughter of what seems to be the main leader of the city, I'm sure she's in for quite a journey. Show is looking good so far. Character designs are great and there were plenty of good backgrounds in the rear. Animation did a fine job at underlining the creepiness and weirdness of the 3 non human characters that Re-L had to face off during the episode. Here's hoping the production values don't drop much in the subsequent outings.

The two fellas who crashed Re-L's shower at the end look like they dropped straight from some Death Metal concerts.

Those character designs & composition shots are amazing for an anime, no surprise the character designs are by Naoyuki Onda(who's curretly doing character designs for bahmut at the moment)

Add to backlog.

Jex

If there was ever a time to drop Ergro Proxy it would be now, before it starts getting really bad.

You have been warned.

Midonin

Garo -Seal of Flame- 06

If this kind of tension is present in the toku franchise, I'm interested in checking it out. Each episode ends on a hopeful-ish note, but not without quite a bit of struggle. Now that Leon's back where he was born, I'm looking forward to seeing what he finds out and where the story goes.

Jex

[G-Reco] - Episode the Current One

This episode felt considerably more 'Tomino' then the last few because of how haphazardly the individual scenes were slapped together, with no attempt to create a sense of flow or pacing.

Purely in terms of writing, once again, the 'conflict' in the episode revolved around a character doing something really stupid and dangerous for no discernible reason simply so we could have a robot fight. Tomino has been pulling this nonsense out for decades.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Amagi 6

Episode was actually pretty funny in a slapstick way. The catguy watching the AV anyways had me laughing my ass off.

And Sento, I know the thirst is real, but you and Kanye aren't even the same species.

Some amusing mascotfaces in this episode too:

lTmvCg9.gif

phaze

If there was ever a time to drop Ergro Proxy it would be now, before it starts getting really bad.

You have been warned.

It has a whooping 8,1 and 8.5 rating on IMDB and Metacritic respectively. All these people can't be wrong !

Winter doesn't look too shabby: Tsukimonogatari, TG2, DRRR + probably Aldnoah and Jojo.

Clov

This month has been great in terms of BDs for me; got my Hidamari Sketch Hoishimitsu BD in a few days ago (it's great!), and my BD of the first Cardcaptor Sakura movie just arrived. It's my first BD from Discotek, so I'm very interested in what it'll be like.

Blusby

Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru 05: Well shit that was pretty awesome, my impression when the show started was lukewarm but now I'm really digging this, probably the biggest surprise gem of the year for me. This episode though, shit was hot blooded as hell. I can't wait to see where the story is going to go from here.

cajunator

Banned
amagi brilliant park is fantastic

yep it is!!

This month has been great in terms of BDs for me; got my Hidamari Sketch Hoishimitsu BD in a few days ago (it's great!), and my BD of the first Cardcaptor Sakura movie just arrived. It's my first BD from Discotek, so I'm very interested in what it'll be like.

Havent gotten a shipment notice. Sometimes I think theres some cutoff date between shipments. I dont buy up everything the moment it goes to preorder.

Naruto Shippuden 385

Actually didn't mind this extended Obito flashback.

Mostly because I got to see Kakashi taking the exam and receiving his headband.

And since I heard Studio Pierrot is going to make a Hinata and Hanabi episode to coincide with the movie.

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park-6
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/41877ca2bf7bf691777987af06c8e731.webm
Helicoptah showing why she be practicing all the time.
So yea this was another really solid episode on the comedic front, although the storyboarding and animation were pretty weak. None of KyoAni's shows were this overt with the sex jokes and I fucking love it. 'Itching the ditch'? Well my terminology got expanded today. What's amazing is that the best part about the episode wasn't even Sento being under a truth serum. Those interviews were something else.
The interesting part about the AV actress is that Gatoh when doing the interviews or whatever actually did come across a former one. So that part is somewhat based in reality. What's interesting to note is that the interviews were from one of the later novels like 3 or 4, so the show is really just burning through all of the source material. That's highly unusual but so far it's worked fairly well. It's nice to see Kanye is an equal opportunity employer.
irszGkIQpP3fU.jpg

What Kyousuke would be like in real life.
The park is absolutely batshit insane and I would say the comedy has worked pretty well in not only just being funny but tying into the characters in fun ways. Yes it's not about real life management but when shit is this absurd, I really don't care. I'm just surprised at how well the comedic elements have been working the past few episodes.
Also that countdown timer is going down fast.

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park has reached a point for me where it's not horrible but not good either. Just mediocrity in a nice suit.

I would say it aims to be enjoyable and that's it. It really reminds me of Fumoffu now in that it's sort of wacky hijinks. It doesn't aim to be much more than what it is, and I'm more than fine with that if the show can continue being entertaining.

cajunator

Banned
I would say it aims to be enjoyable and that's it. It really reminds me of Fumoffu now in that it's sort of wacky hijinks. It doesn't aim to be much more than what it is, and I'm more than fine with that if the show can continue being entertaining.

I think Amagi hits the mark and Inou Battle is cute but it falls flat.

Jarmel

Banned
I think Amagi hits the mark and Inou Battle is cute but it falls flat.

Amagi is much funnier than Inou. That's my problem with Inou right now is that many of the jokes and situations fall flat. Inou is one of a few shows this season where the dramatic and serious moments are better than the comedy. Usually it's the opposite in dual tone shows, but yea...

Midonin

Destiny of the Shrine Maiden 10-12 + Final Thoughts

Now I see how this earned its reputation as a yuri series. Ultimately, the Buddhist themes of reincarnation come into play in the finale, and the yuri love reigns supreme over everything else. I also got Himeko and Chikane piloting a giant sword robot, which is all I was looking for. But
all of that was a ruse so that Chikane could deal with residual guilt from a previous incarnation? It works with the story, but that's a bit far to go for a double-double-crosser act. They reincarnate and everything, but I hope this doesn't lead to another cycle of guilt. Please do better in the third lifetime. You don't need to go all Shizuru-on-Natsuki for your love.
Overall, as one of Kaishaku's more famous works, as a unique mecha series and prominent yuri series, it was alright. I got an equal balance of every one of those factors, and a pretty nice OP and ED to go with it.

Continuing with the theme of superpowered girls, I think my Japanese is good enough to tackle Ryusei Sentai Musumet without subtitles.

Clov

Amagi is fun, but nothing amazing. I enjoy watching it, at least.

Quick update on the Cardcaptor Sakura movie BD; the first thing that struck me was that this is the first anime BD I've gotten in a long time that has a great menu, but that's probably just because I buy so much stuff from Sentai. The subtitles are white and nicely sized; an interesting note is that Discotek decided to go with the more commonly used "Shaoran", rather than "Xiaolang" (the translation used in NISA's subtitles of the TV series). Personally I like Discotek's choice better. The video quality seems good, though the image is a bit fuzzy; that's likely to be because of Bandai Visual's transfer. Overall, I'm happy with it.

Edit: Speaking of Discotek and BDs, they're releasing the BD of Jin-Roh on January 27th. It's on their Facebook page.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know. I'm not that jaded by anime yet so I still find Amagi to be pretty funny, occasionally very much so. The disconnect between the way the mascots look and how they act still gets me every time; they've been Flanderized really fast from being sort of off-color in their non work-time into just being basically Onion Joe Biden.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Twothumbup.jpg

Parasyte the maxim 5

5 episode in, i still didn't get the opening lyrics.
Oh hey, Miyukichi! And yeah, that opening spoiler thing finally happening.
Shinichi in full despair mode.

EDIT: That dubstep is not working! The music before the dubstep is fine. It hit the right note, it giving us sense of urgency. But dubstep! Freaking dubstep!

It's no Fumoffu though :)

Angry Grimace

Some of the jokes are definitely up there.

There were a ton of good jokes in this last episode. The itching, the knife weilding siscon and Tiramie watching the AV all had me laughing.

Amagi Brilliant Park - 6

This show is definitely doing a good job with its humour. It's hitting its mark for the most part.

Though there's still the fact that the clock is ticking and the park isn't too much closer to reaching the guest-count goal. Somebody in this show has to realize this soon right?

Midonin

Fairy Tail 207

At this rate, the arc is going to be over quickly. Bearguy makes an appearance, Deneb is a visual-kei guy, and Princess Mimorin is basically an unofficial member of Fairy Tail now. The rest of the episode was an extended game of keep-away with
fake
anti-keys, so I don't have a whole lot to say on it. Just something to very slightly move the story forward.

Twintails 3-5

Fucking.

Amazing.

I am not worthy. This show is just so bonkers it never fails to amuse me. RIP Dragguguildy *salute*

Ep 5 is the best one yet. I like how Tail Yellow makes the user become an adult with big asses and boobs. Suddenly, Samus Aran.

This show rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom