• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

But we had that super compelling scene of underage girls in a bath together and our MC gets to stand up in front of them and give an awkward "lets kick butt" speech while being obviously embarrassed about being scene nude in front of the girls in the public bath

Is that like a legit cultural thing (I'm asking those out there who would know)? Giving a motivational speech in the buff made no sense to me.

Official Shokugeki no Soma staff:

Director: Yoshitomo Yonetani (GaoGaiGar, Dororon Enma-kun Meramera)
Series Composition: Shogo Yasukawa (Hyperdimension Neptunia, Terraformars)
Character Design: Tomoyuki Shitaya (Bakuman, Kiss x sis)
Music: Tatsuya Katou (Buddy Complex, Mirai Nikki)
Sound Director: Jin Aketagawa
Animation Production: J.C. Staff

Unfortunately I don't know these people well enough to get hype of not but its nice to have some concrete details.

fertygo

Ace of Diamonds - 56
This pacing/eps is pretty awful but yet I enjoyed and hyped by this so goddamn much.. dat Sawamura cluchness.. fuck yeah sport anime.

This is decent, no complaint from me.

GuP Related

Can someone clarify the explanation of why the girls are schooled on ships? The series gave an explanation about how "it was better then waiting for the government to fix things" or something... it didn't really explain why they felt the need to build MASSIVE air craft carriers that can not only hold whole towns but multiple mountains and tanks. Wouldn't all that money spent on the massive air craft carriers have gone to making better schools on land?

Dresden

global warming and an alien invasion has drowned the continents in water and blood, forcing them to live on giant ships ala Gargantia. Tankwondo is just a cover for training their young women to go die fighting the tentacled menace.

Crocodile

global warming and an alien invasion has drowned the continents in water and blood, forcing them to live on giant ships ala Gargantia. Tankwondo is just a cover for training their young women to go die fighting the tentacled menace.

iBurczU6gNJUu.gif

I-dont-believe-you.gif

They already established that some people live on the continents as that is where the first round of the tournament was, hence why older sister had to let sleeping friend borrow her aircraft "because it's part of tankery"

I do wish that was the real reason though because that would be an amazing finale twist

Soulflarz

Banned
Why question it? Just accept it as a fact of life that living on a super massive aircraft carrier is normal for them.

Because its a damn odd plot point to accept :p

Works for me.

duckroll

GuP Related

Can someone clarify the explanation of why the girls are schooled on ships? The series gave an explanation about how "it was better then waiting for the government to fix things" or something... it didn't really explain why they felt the need to build MASSIVE air craft carriers that can not only hold whole towns but multiple mountains and tanks. Wouldn't all that money spent on the massive air craft carriers have gone to making better schools on land?

I think it's just a humorous look at the nature of private schools. Private academies with their own traditions, acclaim, and history are often seen as elitist institutions which exist like a world of their own. There are often rivalries between schools, and those from the outside sometimes see them like independent islands. The concept of carrier schools is totally ridiculous but it definitely embodies that spirit of private boarding schools with a strong culture of their own.

Soulflarz

Banned
I just roll with it putting it in the land of nonsense like the drifting tank or the hunt for tanks by diving and mountain climbing :p

I think it's just a humorous look at the nature of private schools. Private academies with their own traditions, acclaim, and history are often seen as elitist institutions which exist like a world of their own. There are often rivalries between schools, and those from the outside sometimes see them like independent islands. The concept of carrier schools is totally ridiculous but it definitely embodies that spirit of private boarding schools with a strong culture of their own.

I guess that sorta makes sense, but it still doesn't explain why these ships have full towns of people living on them where girls drive tanks for sport. You'd think that having your whole life on a boat you wouldn't want to drive and shoot tanks on the deck for fear of damaging/sinking the boat.

duckroll

I guess that sorta makes sense, but it still doesn't explain why these ships have full towns of people living on them where girls drive tanks for sport. You'd think that having your whole life on a boat you wouldn't want to drive and shoot tanks on the deck for fear of damaging/sinking the boat.

Well, scifi stories for eons have presented the possibility that if corporations had enough autonomy they would happily create private cities of their own with internal economy and so on. This is just the moe version of it!

As far as damage goes, I'm sure they're alright because tankery is carried out with safety in mind. Looooooooooooool
Don't look at me!

Soulflarz

Banned
Well, scifi stories for eons have presented the possibility that if corporations had enough autonomy they would happily create private cities of their own with internal economy and so on. This is just the moe version of it!

As far as damage goes, I'm sure they're alright because tankery is carried out with safety in mind. Looooooooooooool
Don't look at me!

Righttt safety :p (also the automatic white flags? Like literally those are auto)

Yeah I knew it wouldn't be Madhouse or even Shaft ( Due to Nisekoi and stuff). Keeping my expectations really low so I won't get screwed over.

Anyways in most cases manga > anime.

GuP Related

The students are also the ones crewing the ship as well.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Saturday surface anime roundup

Log Horizon S2 6
Well dying ain't so bad, but akatsuki needs to learn some self-respect before trying to pick another fight. And never ignore the flavor text on your weapons folks.
It will comeback to bite you hard.

Sword art S2 18
I can already imagine how the new arc will end and it doesn't make it any better.

Terraformars 7
Russia ain't got time to react to the cockroaches puny attacks. They're too busy making them trip on LSD and smashing them.

jgminto

It's not meant to be taken seriously. It allows them to do serious stuff with tank battles while still maintaining the light hearted tone of the show.

HappinessCharge Precure 39

What with that side quest over, we move onto the end of this subplot, with Iona tasting utter defeat., but not before being praised by her onee chan.

I can see why she went apeshit after losing Tender when she's a 10/10.

I think one thing I can call to note is Lovely using the Rising Sword. Shit sounded sinister and everything. She activated her manly voice while using it. I guess she wants to do a reverse Phantom.
However we didn't get Tender and Fortune fighting side by side :( even if Tender can wreck shit on her own.

In any case, Yuuko and Iona sure know how to please a Hime. I think one last thing I have in mind is that I think the person in charge of this episode must've like feet, because there's probably some questionable shots, granted, part of that is observing Haruyama's drawings.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 91

I didn't expect them to add Yurika, Sora, and Maria to Aikatsu8 over Aoi, Ran, and Kii. I was almost ready to give credit to them until I saw the next episode preview and saw why; this "summer lojg" tour ends next fucking episode!

Unrelated question: has anybody here other than Midonin made it this far into this show? I'm not sure how I'd feel about being, for all intents and purposes, the second biggest fan of this show here.

Aikatsu! 91

Unrelated question: has anybody here other than Midonin made it this far into this show? I'm not sure how I'd feel about being, for all intents and purposes, the second biggest fan of this show here.
I got caught up over the last couple months. Mizuki practically ruined the show for me but thankfully S3 is free of her thus far.

Aikatsu! 91

I didn't expect them to add Yurika, Sora, and Maria to Aikatsu8 over Aoi, Ran, and Kii. I was almost ready to give credit to them until I saw the next episode preview and saw why; this "summer lojg" tour ends next fucking episode!

I've been too lazy to post, so yeah. Even imported the second 3DS game of Aikatsu.

Soulflarz

Banned
-OP 188-
Still a boring arc, not much of note here.

Edit: these episodes are so much as boring just confused why this flashback even exists?

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I'm current with Aikatsu too, I just keep my plastic shit musings to twitter.

D-Frag! 1

I'm finally lazy enough to watch anime that isn't Precure! And it's on an adaptation of something I already read. lol

There's one reason why I decided to read this, as well as watch it, but when will that element appear? Who knows.

Mendrox

Saturday surface anime roundup

Log Horizon S2 6
Well dying ain't so bad, but akatsuki needs to learn some self-respect before trying to pick another fight. And never ignore the flavor text on your weapons folks.
It will comeback to bite you hard.

Sword art S2 18
I can already imagine how the new arc will end and it doesn't make it any better.

Terraformars 7
Russia ain't got time to react to the cockroaches puny attacks. They're too busy making them trip on LSD and smashing them.

You don't know at all what will happen in SAO. ;-) This arc is not just filler bullshit/Sidequest Arc... it's really different so keep watching everyone!

Finally picked up Lain, Mushishi and Princess Tutu at the con today. Saw a couple of early Mushishi/Tutu episodes years ago, and I've wanted to see Lain since it's a Konaka title, but this will be my first time really watching any of them.

I feel like that's a usage of my money I could get behind.

@FUNimation
We've picked up home video rights for: #PingPong, #TokyoRavens, & #PUCHIMAS!

I totally cheered at the panel when they put the Ping Pong slide up. I think maybe one other person might have had a slight reaction, but otherwise it was all silence.

But don't worry, there were huge reactions for the trailers for Fairy Tail and Senran Kagura.

TUSR

Banned
D-Frag! 1

I'm finally lazy enough to watch anime that isn't Precure! And it's on an adaptation of something I already read. lol

There's one reason why I decided to read this, as well as watch it, but when will that element appear? Who knows.

youre just watching for the d-frags themselves, its okay i did too

This reminds me, there is a D-Frag OVA that came out a couple of weeks ago I should watch.

Oh right that. I think I recall it being Roka focused, so it doesn't exactly have my attention atm.

D-Frag! 2

Oh hai Takao. Go back to posting on GAF.

She's a tsundere, and she's a dork. Should be a Tsundork. Then again, everyone has "issues".

Maybe I should call her Tacow. Or something. Don't remember how I feel despite my general... disdain for the tsundere, but for some odd reason, she sort of has.... a bit of frail to her, despite what she's capable of. Probably because of all the teasing. IDK.

Still waiting for that one frag

Quasar

ANNCast Nov8 Episode - A first episode in their rejigging of the ANNCast format (where now there will be 3 eps a month - one interview show, one Q&A show and one review a single older anime show (The discussion format is Zac, Hope and a guest.)).

This seems like a good altering of the format. Frankly without being able to interview creators thats an aspect that really makes me an occasional listener. Not that its a real criticism, as they simply can't make a good anime interview show (for many reasons including timezone issues and language barriers).

Anyway this episode was a review show where they reviewed Suzumiya and overall I thought it was a pretty decent discussion in part due to the different perspectives (two folks who had already seen it prior to the rewatch and one (Zac) who hadn't and just binge-watched the whole thing. Also Zac alone watched it in chronological order.

I guess one interesting thing was the panels impression that it was a forgotten show, which as a newbie to anime I never really felt that. Admittedly its mostly remembered for Endless Eight but I don't really feel like its a forgotten shows.

Overall I liked the episode. I guess not having someone on who hated the show and just continuous brought the show down helped a lot.

Makes me wonder how the Clannad episode goes (thats one show they have said they are doing). I have a ominous feeling.

GuP Related

Honestly Once I learned about just how big these ships were it became clear that this is clearly some post resource scarcity civ because damn.

Here is the gigantic scale of the ships
nH5wamz.png

A real life conparison to how much space that would be.
wz0PfmI.jpg

And what it looks like next to other ships in the series.
jkAxfw5.jpg

3qiuSvp.jpg

Those last two ships are estimated to be around 13.7 KM and 15.3 KM long. This amount of resources for schools clearly indicates a level of engineering that far surpasses ours.

That one frag is Tama-Chan-Senpai, isn't it

No

yeah i pretty much only care about takao

Same, Takao makes the show worth watching.

Admittingly, she sort of adds to the cast more than I imagined when I read it, probably because I didn't care for Roka, and then there's the other two. Sakura sort of becomes a bit more out there once what's his face's sister joins in, but yeah. Takao and one other D-frag made it worth reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom