• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

A blade dance is a ceremony between at least 2 people ..it's a ritual to respect the spirits or something . What do you do duringa blade dance ? Well you fight ..

So yeah it's a fancy woord for a fight.
Yeah the plot moves in all directions and nothing move forward as a result.
And the harem antics are just BAD , predictable , generic ( to the point YOU SEE things happening Several episodes before it happens )

Several people told me that the LN handle the characters and the lore better .. i haven't read it .. i might since i found the 5 episodes i watched REALLY BORING but i kinda wanna know why it was popular.

Well the show and its ending (plus othets liking it) got me to dive into the books that follow the anime end. I've been quite liking it. And unsurprisingly its another series where lots of the good material and focus was not in tne show.

Well the show and its ending (plus othets liking it) got me to dive into the books that follow the anime end. I've been quite liking it. And unsurprisingly its another series where lots of the good material and focus was not in tne show.

Thanks for telling me , i might just do that and just read the books and be done.

Clov

"We sell things online". Neat.

RightStuf also licenses anime. They have the North American licenses for stuff like Utena, Aria, Rose of Versailles, etc.

I'm going to go bug them to release the Utena BDs already. Or any BD, really; but especially Utena.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 7

Man this episode gave me all kinds of feels. Sayaka :( That last scene was amazing.

The music is soooo good. Its a damn shame I think I got spoiled on the ending while looking for OST tracks on YouTube. Goddamnit.

One thing that I do like about SHAFT is the backgrounds here. It doesnt fit every anime (wasnt a fan of it in Nisekoi). However, for Madoka, the vast empty and clean environments full of repetition and symmetry creates a really eerie and lonely feeling. It feels appropriate.

I have to say, the "zombies" a few episodes back when Sayaka became a magical girl were hilarious. The artstyle is so cutesy so seeing a bunch of cute people (even the adults look like kids) acting like zombies in an abandoned factory made me chuckle.

That cat thing
is quite the opportunistic asshole isnt he. Ever since I first saw him I immediately thought that he was up to no good. If he isnt the antagonist by the end, then I'll be danged.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I have one final thought on Tamerlane's post:

While I certainly enjoy both reading and engaging in discussions of anime I never saw that as that as the main thrust of the this thread, or any of the series/movie specific threads I created.

Instead, my main concern is simply with guiding people towards good anime to watch. I just want people to have a chance to love what I love. I want to share good things with others.

When I criticise an anime it's my way of warning people away from something I think is a waste of time as opposed to an attempt to write 'real' criticism.

We all have our methods an approaches to this thing, it is a bit part of what makes forumtalk so interesting.

Buddy Complex maybe became perfect example of anime "bomba" if its really true the latter part of split cour plan relegated to merely just TV special.

Hey at least it ended up being better than Aldnoah Zero and Captain Earth.

Though it makes me sad that shit like Captain Earth which was boring gets 2 cours while Buddy Complex that was entertaining doesn't.

Good guy Bones&Kadokawa, Chaika bombed same level as Buddy Complex but they still decide to make full season 2

Buddy Complex was anime original show so disc sales were far more important for it than for Chaika that is based on light novels and only purpose of the anime is to sell those novels.

Articalys

Looks like NISA has solicited their release for The Eccentric Family (Uchoten Kazoku) for January 6.

http://store.nisamerica.com/Anime/The-Eccentric-Family-Premium-Bonus-Set
http://www.rightstuf.com/i/813633014814
BD-only, like most of their recent releases.

As with all their releases, the set looks wonderful.
pZc2uvp.jpg

edit: adding reverse side of box from the product page

Che9dtW.jpg

Utena - 01

Only read small tidbits about this show and considering how highly regarded it is I'm checking it out now.

First episode was...odd but quite entertaining. It feels weirdly disjointed but seems like a stylistic choice and yeh...not sure what to think of anything just yet. Gonna look up the shows age now because damn if it doesn't scream 'old'.

Also, the eyes lacking pupils...that always looks odd to me.

Clov

cajunator

Banned
The number of shows that I've ever rewatched is in the low single digits, and even that was usually only to prepare for a sequel/new season if there was a substantial delay from the previous one.

To each their own. If that works for you its cool.

It's here!

squeeeeee! Have fun!

Bodacious Space Pirates 2

Eh. Still nothing particularly engaging here.

It starts off with hard sci fi and very technical and slow. It will get more interesting pretty soon!

Nafe

I was busy at the end of the week and through the weekend. I was up most of the night on the weekend and didn't get much sleep. It was a casual thing but I had to go out and meet up with some people after that and was pretty much like this:

Super Tired...Anyway, I was able to quickly look at things at one point but otherwise hadn't really looked at the thread until the end of the weekend. I'll have to catch up but really good job Narag on the opening post. I'm still not sure if G-Reco is something to look forward to or not,haha. Will it be good or "good"?

Also thanks to Jexhius for making up the big post which comprises the last part of the OP. I was actually kind of surprised links to past AOTY threads weren't already a standardized thing but I guess they are now.

zulux21

TERRAFORMARS Episode 1
yeah didn't expect much from this....
was still disappointed... to the point where I would say Mars of Destruction was more enjoyable then the first episode of Terraformars... at least with Mars it's fun to make fun of, Terraformars was just bad :/

Link Man

Banned
And here I am, crawling back to Shaft.

Pani Poni Dash 1

ibqKZr7KCayeWk.jpg

This girl is 10-years old.

Show starts off with a classic movie parody, and just goes full-on insane from there. Fourth-wall jokes, crass humor, amazing dub and complete randomness. I think I'm gonna have fun with this one.

[Barakamon] - Finale

About what I expected. A satisfying and well produced conclusion.

While I enjoyed this show and found it to be quite charming I still feel that the core conceit is a little bit tired and they never really do anything radically interesting with it. It's a fairly safe, and comfortable series but it's not outstanding.

Do you mean, within the last season? Basically just Space Dandy. It's too early to say anything about this new season.

Without knowing all the shows you've watched it's pretty hard to give recommendations.

I mean, the standard stuff is along the lines of:

- Cowboy Bebop
- Baccano
- Black Lagoon
- Gurren Lagann
- Ghost in the Shell
- Yamato 2199
- Castle of Cagliostro.

Lol all of those are on my list of top anime, is my list really so normie?

Anymore Space Dandy, or is it done at 26?

Supposed to be done now. Doubt we'll get OVA's.

Buddy Complex Into the Skies of Tomorrow – Second Half

Fantastic conclusion. I teared up
like Dio at the thought of Aoba going away, they were so into each other they were already predicting each others moves far into the future, especially how they kept jumping back and forth and completely each others thoughts

I was hoping for an s2 tease but that kind of didnt seem likely
though they could always say Aoba and Hina didnt return, since in the view once we had the triple link going on Hina was already in a loop in which she had met college age Aoba which eventually led to her being sent in a loop anyway, so perhaps they are perpetually in this loop situation until the end of time...also singularities seem to be as common as kids lemonade stands in summers, wow

I hope we get a awesome Funi edition of this. (and please dont sell this Into the Skies of Tomorrow Separately...)

Joe Molotov

And here I am, crawling back to Shaft.

Pani Poni Dash 1

This girl is 10-years old.

Show starts off with a classic movie parody, and just goes full-on insane from there. Fourth-wall jokes, crass humor, amazing dub and complete randomness. I think I'm gonna have fun with this one.

Pani Poni is a great show.

Might be a spoiler but there is an obligatory beach episode. "Please be excited"

But yeah Build Fighters sounds like a mess on paper but in actuality is a gundam fan dream. The amount of background cameos is down right amazing.

That was the beach ep. Better that she's miss fanservice instead of china

I'm just going to leave this here because not everyone is on IRC or Twitter: http://tamerlane420.wordpress.com/2014/09/29/japanimation/

I loved reading that even though I take it at a focused criticism at myself. I think he is a bit unstructured and unfocused though, I would jump at an opportunity to respond in a more direct manner.

real critics work with aesthetic philosophy instead of checklist summary. The mindset of the anime critic theoretically supports shows which excel in all areas but more often than not promotes those which are merely competent in all areas (in AnimeGAF’s voting for best anime of 2013, the number 1 choice was the enjoyable but unexciting Yamato 2199 while the more daring works like Aku no Hana and Kyousougiga languished below Attack on Titan).

This is more reason why the GAF anime of the year should be more restricted, Our good name is at stake here people!

The use of a checklist structure is a shorthand for remembering the points of discussion, not the final say on the quality of a work. However it is simply impossible for a work to "make up" some areas with others. No matter how good a show's soundtrack is it can't make up for a poor story. And a show doesn't get points simply for being daring - It still needs to accomplish something. Naturally there is a draw towards simpler works as they are easier to digest and disseminate so the fact that Kyousigaga even showed up shows we are striving towards a better criticism of works.

I think there is a definite problem when viewing a lot of crap that one's standard of quality drops, but at the same time being pretentious and liking something just because it is outlandish lends no credence to any critic.

I disagree with his assertion that we have "no forgiveness for eccentricities and a bland fetishization of polish" when we just had a long conversation criticising Gundam Unicorn which is polished to hell and looks and sounds amazing. Inferno Cop was janky and cheap but got views and attention. And whilst I dislike the absurd sexualisation, poor storytelling, and substandard animation of Trigger's KILL la KILL that show has a visual flair and outlandish sense of style not seen outside of a Quentin Tarantino flick.

And the idea that Yamato got in because it merely ticked boxes is distasteful. I have plenty of problems with Yamato but it got my no.2 slot because I was able to put those problems aside in light of other areas it excelled in. Having taste is personal, but getting salty because your favourite anime didn't get in is unbecoming. If he has analysis as to why he fells this way then I take it back, but using your own personal opinion of a show to say that we aren't real critics and are just using a checklist summary is uncalled for.

I agree that an analysis of less mainstream works not on AniChart would be extremely cool, but I think that is outside the realm of what AnimeGAF and other higher end anime critics want to be involved in. Sazae-san has over 7000 episodes, been running for over 40 years but you'll not likely see an analysis of it's leftist themes in the face of a changing Japan on here either.

Debates rarely tackle the big issues of the medium, its significance and so forth, and more whether X animator’s cut in Y scene was good or not (quality is an ill-defined and often commonsensical concept in these discussions). The canon for anime is somehow less flexible than the literary canon, an amazing feat.

That's because anime isn't significant. Done in one. However we do talk about the actual issues of the medium, it's reliance on stock tropes, the treatment of women and minorities, the lack of original storytelling, the increasing reliance on Otaku spending etc. It's just not possible to have a wider discussion on its impact on society like one can with books when the medium is mostly aimed at kids/teens or super obsessed man children.

The latest episode of Anime X didn't change the way anyone thought about anything since it was just an edition of the already popular VN or manga. That's the reality of the situation.

Quasar

I agree that an analysis of less mainstream works not on AniChart would be extremely cool, but I think that is outside the realm of what AnimeGAF and other higher end anime critics want to be involved in. Sazae-san has over 7000 episodes, been running for over 40 years but you'll not likely see an analysis of it's leftist themes in the face of a changing Japan on here either.

Well in terms of western criticism isn't part of the issue accessibility? I imagine you see things like that in Japan though.

The latest episode of Anime X didn't change the way anyone thought about anything since it was just an edition of the already popular VN or manga. That's the reality of the situation.

Which isn't a whole lot different to Hollywood where 90% of things are non-original material. Especially the mainstream stuff.

Well I guess the difference is that Hollywood doesn't normally do accurate adaptations. Which I'll admit bothers me at times (most where I'm familiar with the material and they make 'terrible choices' imo). The likes of Sin City are really rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom