• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam Build Fighters 4

49+(2).jpg

triflin
adj

A person who tends to mettle in business that’s not their own, or mess with other’s personal lives, possessions and/or money frequently. Can also be an individual who wastes exuberant amounts of money. This word is usually associated with the negative connotations of dirty and nasty.

"Yo I heard that triflin bitch Cecily was talkin bad about you to those hos agian. That bitch is always fuckin with your life man."

Good episode, fuck Kirara. Shitty thing is I bet she comes back too. At first I thought, "Hey, an 8th MS fan, she could be cool" Nope. Dirty.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gundam Build Fighters 4

triflin
adj

A person who tends to mettle in business that’s not their own, or mess with other’s personal lives, possessions and/or money frequently. Can also be an individual who wastes exuberant amounts of money. This word is usually associated with the negative connotations of dirty and nasty.

"Yo I heard that triflin bitch Cecily was talkin bad about you to those hos agian. That bitch is always fuckin with your life man."

Good episode, fuck Kirara. Shitty thing is I bet she comes back too. At first I thought, "Hey, an 8th MS fan, she could be cool" Nope. Dirty.

Kirara is the best.

And yep shes a regular.

Link Man

Banned
How is the packaging? Screens?

Haven't taken it out of the shrink wrap yet. Comes in a paperboard slip cover (seen in my picture) and the case is similar in size to all the other Funimation Complete Series blurays. Likely has a simlar page-like holder for the discs.

Barakamon 12
This just felt brilliant. Felt incredibly easing but funny. Especially Handa's mom attacking Kawafuji. Just a homely feeling with this entire series.

Love Live S2 11

They finally got a catch-phrase and now they're thinking about what to do after the third years graduate.

To keep the name, or not to keep the name, that is the question. Lots of sad moments and then a decision and some crying.

Buddy Complex OVA 2

lol apparently I thought this was getting a second season, but from what I read online it did so poorly they condensed the sequel into two episodes and it was hilariously paced. I now want to watch anime that introduced a new scenario, bad guy, and defeats the bad guy plus tying loose ends all in 2 episodes. Hilarious.

Also surprisingly not half bad. It entertained me more than Aldnoah Zero or most mecha shows I've seen recently. So yeah. Buddy Complex > your favorite mecha

Space Dandy 25

xA6clIz.gif

Only purpose of this episode was to set the transition into the finale lol. Did you give impressions on 21? Always curious what people think of that one, that's my favorite episode.

jgminto

Only purpose of this episode was to set the transition into the finale lol. Did you give impressions on 21? Always curious what people think of that one, that's my favorite episode.

If that was the purpose they could have ditched the entire episode and put something good there instead. It's not like the next episode needed a set up anyway.

Narag

Space Dandy 26

Made through sitting through all the eps I didn't care for worthwhile and pretty much everything I wanted out of the last ep.

If that was the purpose they could have ditched the entire episode and put something good there instead. It's not like the next episode needed a set up anyway.

He could have started captive and I wouldn't have batted an eye at the lack of continuity as that's this series' hallmark.

Himegoto END

Eh I'm honestly not surprised that he turns out to be straight in the end. I never got that vibe from the MC in the first place. All in all, I enjoyed the series all the same. At 4 minutes an episode its not like it was a timesink anyway.

Blade Dance 12
Well that series ended as sort of expected. This series was just not good. Mainly for two reasons. The First is the whole mess of the plot brought by introducing new characters. There's at least 3 main lingering plotlines by the end of the series and they've hardly moved since the start of the show. I still don't understand what this sister did, I still don't get this demon king succession thing is and heck I still don't know what exactly a blade dance is. Is it just a fancy word for a fight? There's probably a dozen plot points I'm forgetting at this point. The second reason this show was terrible is the typical harem antics. That was probably the only piece of plot that made sort of sense and not for any good reasons. The cast was pretty terrible
A blade dance is a ceremony between at least 2 people ..it's a ritual to respect the spirits or something . What do you do duringa blade dance ? Well you fight ..

So yeah it's a fancy woord for a fight.
Yeah the plot moves in all directions and nothing move forward as a result.
And the harem antics are just BAD , predictable , generic ( to the point YOU SEE things happening Several episodes before it happens )

Several people told me that the LN handle the characters and the lore better .. i haven't read it .. i might since i found the 5 episodes i watched REALLY BORING but i kinda wanna know why it was popular.
She gets one more chance -_-

Kirara will get one more chance AND SHE WILL TAKE IT !

What's some anime I should watch?

I've seen mostly stuff on [as] along with some random stuff on the side

fav animes

FMA & FMA B
Eureka Seven
Samurai Champloo
Durarara
Berserk (an exception to what I dislike)
Neon Genesis Evangelism (an exception to what I dislike)

animes I don't like

anything incredibly dark, morbid, violent or "occultish"
anything that has those anime girls in crazy outfits and that the guys will worship

Mothman91

fav animes

FMA & FMA B
Eureka Seven
Samurai Champloo
Durarara

animes I don't like

anything that has those anime girls in crazy outfits and that the guys will worship
Gurren Laggan!

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

fav animes

FMA & FMA B
Eureka Seven
Samurai Champloo
Durarara

animes I don't like

Code geass.

rrvv

soon we are going to have daily dose of double Gundam.

next season will be crazy. Aldnoah will be back to see if it worthy enough to compete with gundam.

also I am joining Tomino avatar hype wagon

Jex

Sad to see this happen. He wrote some great articles that enlightened me on a lot of the finer points in anime and made me think a little deeper on the medium.

I however don't think it's up to us to raise ourselves up to a certain level of critical discussion for the sake of it. It's up to our own decision how we talk and rate anime as that's what's so great about being in a community like this.

I wish him luck in his new film blogging thing he's doing.
I have one final thought on Tamerlane's post:

While I certainly enjoy both reading and engaging in discussions of anime I never saw that as that as the main thrust of the this thread, or any of the series/movie specific threads I created.

Instead, my main concern is simply with guiding people towards good anime to watch. I just want people to have a chance to love what I love. I want to share good things with others.

When I criticise an anime it's my way of warning people away from something I think is a waste of time as opposed to an attempt to write 'real' criticism.

fav animes

FMA & FMA B
Eureka Seven
Samurai Champloo
Durarara

animes I don't like

Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
Battleship Yamato 2199
Darker than Black

Gundam Build Fighters ep 7

Well that was...different. I'm still baffled at the animation quality for this show.

Sei's Mom = still best girl

Might be a spoiler but there is an obligatory beach episode. "Please be excited"

But yeah Build Fighters sounds like a mess on paper but in actuality is a gundam fan dream. The amount of background cameos is down right amazing.

Jex

[Barakamon] - Finale

About what I expected. A satisfying and well produced conclusion.

While I enjoyed this show and found it to be quite charming I still feel that the core conceit is a little bit tired and they never really do anything radically interesting with it. It's a fairly safe, and comfortable series but it's not outstanding.
So what's good lately?

Do you mean, within the last season? Basically just Space Dandy. It's too early to say anything about this new season.

fav animes

FMA & FMA B
Eureka Seven
Samurai Champloo
Durarara

animes I don't like

Without knowing all the shows you've watched it's pretty hard to give recommendations.

I mean, the standard stuff is along the lines of:

- Cowboy Bebop
- Baccano
- Black Lagoon
- Gurren Lagann
- Ghost in the Shell
- Yamato 2199
- Castle of Cagliostro

Also consult this list NeoGAF Top Anime List which can be found in the op of this thread here .

Link Man

Banned
Space Dandy 13

I did start to enjoy it towards the end, but the journey to get there was a bit dull, honestly.

And with that, Season 1 complete. I think I'm a bit Dandied out at the moment, so Season 2 will have to wait. There were some excellent episodes in this season, but quite a few of them felt middling to poor. I keep hearing that Season 2 is much better in this department, so I'm looking forward to that.

fav animes

FMA & FMA B
Eureka Seven
Samurai Champloo
Durarara

animes I don't like

To add to the recommendations already made:

-Trigun
-Humanity Has Declined
-Kyousougiga

Are animes I'd recommend to anyone, and fit your criteria, I believe.

Mokoi

Banned

I would recommending watching Ping Pong The Animation. It's a really good show that has great character development throughout the show. The animation style really makes the games fun to watch, and it's not what I would call a typical sports anime where they spend a huge amount of time explaining every single detail about the sport. Although I'm not sure how common that is in sports animu, but from the brief episodes I've seen of some it tends to happen a lot.
The soundtrack is also excellent too and helps elevate the scenes.
Favorite track in the show.

It just an all around great show which you can watch for free on youtube (stuck with 480p though).

Also I'm not sure if you seen it, but for a film you should check out Redline. It's a movie about racing, and is beautifully animated. You can also watch it on Youtube. (I didn't just link the youtube btw it's the actual videos)

I was looking forward to a second season of Buddy Complex :( Shame about the sales. It was a solid series.

fav animes

FMA & FMA B
Eureka Seven
Samurai Champloo
Durarara

animes I don't like

Gurren Lagann

Also try Blue Exorcist. Deals with demons and stuff but its pretty action packed and has some humor mixed in.

Andrew J.

Buddy Complex Special 02

Speaking as a fan of indulgence and eliminating delay, even I thought this was paced too fast. Really needed at least one more episode to breathe. At least lots of cool stuff happened, but it should have been allowed to hit with more emotional impact than it actually did.

fertygo

Buddy Complex maybe became perfect example of anime "bomba" if its really true the latter part of split cour plan relegated to merely just TV special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom