• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I agree that this happens less outside of Japan, but if there wasn't some sort of culture that loved 2D animation as an art and was inspired by it, it I don't know why shows like Gravity Falls or Steven Universe would be made.

Shows like Archer and Family Guy though...they don't need inspiration; They're basically using relatively cheap and easy means to get across their content. Japan's got some shows like that.

You misunderstand what I was saying. I'm not talking about passion for traditional animation, I'm talking about the culture of an existing animation industry that is willing to pay jack shit, and people ready and willing to work in it. This is why anime exists as an industry, and why traditional animation isn't an industry anywhere else anymore on the same level. In America for example, if you were an animator back in the era when Disney was still producing tons of works on a regular basis, it was a respectable profession. You're not living day to day off your passion alone.

In Japan, the reason why traditional animation still thrives with tons and animators working in dozens of studios producing tons of work every single day, is because it is dirt cheap. The industry itself has that culture where the people paying, the people buying, and the people working in it are all sort of okay with low ass wages which would be frowned upon or outright illegal in some countries. If this sort of culture is acceptable in the US, then there could still be a sustainable animation industry in it. It's not acceptable, so instead the only animation you'll see are limited to passion projects funded by creative means, and storyboarders and designers who create layouts and then outsource the animation to South Korea or Japan.

Fate/Stay Night Episode 6

I'm getting sick of shiro, seriously, he is so uninteresting (It is even worse when I start thinking about how awesome Kiritsugu was), hopefully he undergoes a big change. Same with Saber, I hate the sexual tension between the two characters, it's laaaame. That said though, it is still a decent show and it seems to be picking up, cannot wait to see what happens next week.

/XX/

In Japan, the reason why traditional animation still thrives with tons and animators working in dozens of studios producing tons of work every single day, is because it is dirt cheap. The industry itself has that culture where the people paying, the people buying, and the people working in it are all sort of okay with low ass wages which would be frowned upon or outright illegal in some countries. If this sort of culture is acceptable in the US, then there could still be a sustainable animation industry in it. It's not acceptable, so instead the only animation you'll see are limited to passion projects funded by creative means, and storyboarders and designers who create layouts and then outsource the animation to South Korea or Japan.
Yep! The commitment of many new animators that start there and endure even acknowledging the need in the end of external help is something so worth of the utmost respect, because we aren't talking about delusional newbies either, many know it all depends on their resistance to that caustic environment and even then decide to continue until the latest consequences.

Case in point, the first batch of young animators before they gained support from the NPO Animation Supporters program (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/animator-dormitories-for-start-ups), that having it so rough didn't abandon... and after them more will come although they are aware of this! Talk about GUTS!

Blusby

Fate/stay night : Unlimited Blade Works episode 06: Best episode yet, that
hypnosis
scene was the greatest, best grill has finally been introduced.

Fate/stay night : Unlimited Blade Works episode 06: Best episode yet, that
hypnosis
scene was the greatest, best grill has finally been introduced.

E4fKFMB.jpg

Himemiya

You misunderstand what I was saying. I'm not talking about passion for traditional animation, I'm talking about the culture of an existing animation industry that is willing to pay jack shit, and people ready and willing to work in it.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. Yes, on a material level there is a big difference between industries when you look at what Japanese animators are willing to endure at work.

BluWacky

I don't really know what I was expecting, but that wasn't it. Not that reading a synopsis of any of Ikhuara's works is very enlightening..

Most importantly, expect something approaching PABLO POWER:

pretty backgrounds said:

I'm a bit confused as to whether it's ACTUALLY Studio Pablo or not, though. Chieko Nakamura is doing art direction, as she did on Penguindrum and Utena previously (that's immediately obvious from the architecture), but the show doesn't fit on Studio Pablo's schedule according to their website - after Wixoss finishes, they're not supposed to have a new show airing until April.

Art still looks lovely, though.

Fate Stay/Night: UBW 6

"here, let me explain everything I'm doing before I kill you."
Caster is the most incompetent servant ever.

it was an okay episode. Shirou is still boring, Rin is still a generic tsundere.

Blusby

Fate Stay/Night: UBW 6"here, let me explain everything I'm doing before I kill you."
Caster is the most incompetent servant ever.

She didn't think that anyone would get by Assassin, she figured that she had all the free time in the world. Unlike with Rider I'd say even with the lack of VN knowledge this particular instance was very reasonable.

Jex

[Yozakura Quartet Tsuki ni Naku] - 1

Cheap looking rubbish.

[Yozakura Quartet Tsuki ni Naku] - 2

More cheap looking rubbish.

[Yozakura Quartet Tsuki ni Naku] - 3

Good. Movie quality animation, as I would normally expect from this show.

duckroll

I'm a bit confused as to whether it's ACTUALLY Studio Pablo or not, though. Chieko Nakamura is doing art direction, as she did on Penguindrum and Utena previously (that's immediately obvious from the architecture), but the show doesn't fit on Studio Pablo's schedule according to their website - after Wixoss finishes, they're not supposed to have a new show airing until April.

It's not Studio Pablo.

She didn't think that anyone would get by Assassin, she figured that she had all the free time in the world. Unlike with Rider I'd say even with the lack of VN knowledge this particular instance was very reasonable.

I'm referring to two future instances where she could achieve instant victory but instead she's all like "nah, I'll let you go for now."

UBW 6

Love seeing Caster finally get introduced as she is one of the more interesting Servants in this along with knowing the Assassin fight is coming up soon since that one of my favorite fights in UBW.

/XX/

For those interested, the BD and DVD for The Tale of Princess Kaguya are now up for preorder on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca. No release date is listed, unfortunately.
Such a shame the original listing for The Tale of Princess Kaguya Blu-ray Disc release in France didn't stay and was delayed... it would have been out by now already, even before the at-the-time unannounced date for Japan! It was too good to be true. :-(

For everyone's sake, hopefully never.
Well the last two episodes were made by those venerable studios, Graphinica, Kelmadick.
Aww, so mean! While GONZO was in near-bankruptcy process its entire digital dept., now reformed as Graphinica, Inc., tried to continue with this while also taking the opportunity of reworking cuts for the Blu-ray Disc releases of the previous OVAs... and it all was like a whole division of a dying company clinging to finishing a project they wholly contributed to and were proud of (and that later even made the effort of producing, mad thing to do for a 'start-up') just after the definitive problems for GONZO erupted, all done out of respect and love for that work and what it meant to them and their future. Very brave thing!

Blusby

I'm referring to two future instances where she could achieve instant victory but instead she's all like "nah, I'll let you go for now."

(Big UBW spoiler)
You mean where Archer tells her to let Rin and him go in compensation for his alliance with her? Or where because Caster was trying to rule breaker Saber she ended up healing and turning the battle back in the heroes favor?

dan2026

UBW 6

Is Shirou supposed to be some sort of self-insert blank slate character?
Dude is boring as sin and yet all the girls inexplicably love him...

Blusby

UBW 6

Shirou's growth really begins with Caster's introduction, her role in the story kinda acts as a vehicle to get things in motion so maybe you'll grow to like him in the near future.

jgminto

Most importantly, expect something approaching PABLO POWER:

Art still looks lovely, though.

I haven't even watched that many Studio Pablo projects but it's clearly less detailed than their work. This has a much simpler style of shading and the use of harsher colours, lines and angles bring it closer to Shaft than Pablo. That's not to say it doesn't look nice but it's very different.

dan2026

Shirou's growth really begins with Caster's introduction, her role in the story kinda acts as a vehicle to get things in motion so maybe you'll grow to like him in the near future.
I hope so. I am going to keep on with the series anyway. Unless it becomes truly awful.

Jex

I dont know, am I?
I'm sure my post was in coherent English.

Well, you were. The writing in the show isn't exactly subtle, it's blatant. Our hero achieves a harem who lives at his house within a handful of episodes and has very little in the way of charm or character. There's no question about it!

FSN UBW - 06

Yeah Ufotable completely failed at converting the VN conversations into decently interesting scenes. It really is just standing or sitting in front of each other and having a rigid conversation. The one scene where something´s actually going on at the same time, that is when Shirou demonstrated his Tracer magic, becomes awkward by some poorly inserted sexual tension. It also seemed rather out of character for Shirou to suddenly pick up on s.th. like that when he's like the most oblivious twerp that so far never seemed attracted by or interested in any of his girls. But here, cue romantic music and have him blush.

Well next episode we're gonna get some fighting which is all this show seems to be good for.

UBW 6

The game is a visual novel eroge where you see the game entirely from Shirou's eyes in a first person perspective and he gets laid multiple times in the game. So to answer your question yes he is supposed to be a self-insert blank slate character.

Log Horizon S2 E7

While I can't complain about anything in this episode as the writing is still excellent and the characters continue to impress, I really want to get back to Shirou and co as he is the best part of this series and it feels like it's been far to long since he's been the focus.

dan2026

Well, you were. The writing in the show isn't exactly subtle, it's blatant. Our hero achieves a harem who lives at his house within a handful of episodes and has very little in the way of charm or character. There's no question about it!
But I thought every young man in Japan lived like that.
My Japanese animes cannot be inaccurate!

Everyone gets one subservient girl, one fiesty girl and one milf, at least, right?

Blusby

The game is a visual novel eroge where you see the game entirely from Shirou's eyes in a first person perspective and he gets laid multiple times in the game. So to answer your question yes he is supposed to be a self-insert blank slate character.

Despite the original indeed being an eroge Shirou isn't meant to be self-insertable at all as we'll see (or may have already).

Jex

Purely speaking about the language conveyed by uniform, it's pretty interesting that Saber looks so domesticated and vulnerable in her F/SN attired when compared to the suit she generally wore in Fate/Zero. Such a disappointing regression.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Sword Art Online II - 19

Did Michael Bay directed this episode? How the fuck you put so many explosion in a freaking sword fight. There were more explosion in a 3 minute fights than most action movie, and they were just hitting each other with sword skills. IT'S NOT EVEN AN ELEMENTAL ATTACK!

Purely speaking about the language conveyed by uniform, it's pretty interesting that Saber looks so domesticated and vulnerable in her F/SN attired when compared to the suit she generally wore in Fate/Zero. Such a disappointing regression.
Depends on how you view it.

FSN was written well before F/Z afterall.

Clov

Yeah, she looked way better in the suit. It fits her personality much better, I think.

Let's remember the first F/SN TV series.
PnDg0l.jpg

lLGKsTS.png

F/SN UBW 6

So I thought this was the route where Shioru fell for Rin so why is he basically oblivious to her tsun ways and blushes like crazy when he's simply close to Saber who herself is making zero romantic advances :|

Other then that was a pretty good episode, discovered another master, met the final two servants, got a bit of development for Archer, and got a bit more world building. Next week is gonna by incredibly awesome.

And Hill Climb Girl, which is probably the closest I'm ever going to get to watching YowaPedal. The funny thing is that given the CG talk here, I couldn't help but just think about how they did the "make CG look like anime" thing here:
pacbwvIl.jpg

I mentioned Hill Climb Girl earlier in this post in the thread, was pleasantly surprised to find so much if it is actually 3D after watching it.

From this:

To this:

It's quite interesting to see how CGI's been incorporated into anime over the years...the most dramatic example I can think of is Initial D.

From 1st stage back in the late 90s, where the cars were looking like PSOne-quality FMV, lol.

To 5th stage which started in 2012...the cars blend in with the rest of the anime almost seemlessly.

Jex

[Fate Stay Thingy] - 6

Watching this directly after Yozakura Quarter really made me reflect on the different ways that a director can adapt fairly trash source material. So, to compare and contrast, I would consider both shows to have extremely high production values but each work aims for a very different style.

Fate searches for photo-realism in terms of every aspect but it's character designs and, as a result, there's a slightly awkward contrast between the simple character and the beautiful world they inhabit. Still, leaving that aside, it's pretty clear that the show is aiming to look unlike other anime, it really doesn't want to look like a silly cartoon. This is a serious drama which is why it looks like reality.

Meanwhile, Yozakura Quarter actively strives to look like a cartoon. It fully embraces the 'animation' part of anime and it's filled with extreme visuals, bending, contortion, stretching and transformation. Everything is filled with heightened drama and excitement.

Yozakura even embraces the trashiness of it's routes, it's filled with shameless erotic fanservice and it's pretty clear the animators and directors enjoying producing that kind of sexualised content. Whether or not you approve of it, there's something very honest it. Fate is filled with silly harem/romance in the script itself, but the show carries a very self serious air and despite some bath-service it tends to keep itself 'clean'.

I'm not saying one approach is inherently better than the other, but I will say that I enjoy watching Yozakura far more because it's not pretending to be something it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom