• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Millennium actress

Wow, what a fantastic movie. I could see myself putting this in my top 5-10 all time favorite anime movies. Everything about it was well done, from the characters and cinematography to the transitions between the past and films. I cannot find the words to express how much I loved the movie. I want to go back an hour and half ago to view it again. What do/did you guys think of this movie?

best Satoshi Kon film

DEATH™

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - 01

Hmm, this was alright I suppose. Had some funny bits but they all relied on the same thing - lewdness. I hope the comedy evolves into more than just that.
Misaki reminded me of
worst girl
Minorin from Toradora, I'm too grumpy for their.. positively eccentric personalities, so she's already a no go in my book. Didn't see much of Aoyama but I'm already rooting for her.

I'll give it the three episode rule.

Trust me when I say it's gonna get better. I put it along Toradora and Golden Time league where things get serious as you follow along... Please don't drop it on after 3 episodes...

Millennium actress

Wow, what a fantastic movie. I could see myself putting this in my top 5-10 all time favorite anime movies. Everything about it was well done, from the characters and cinematography to the transitions between the past and films. I cannot find the words to express how much I loved the movie. I want to go back an hour and half ago to view it again. What do/did you guys think of this movie?

Definately the best of what I've seen from Satoshi Kon. Cajun's going to be happy that you've watched this, which reminds me, I still need to watch Perfect Blue!

DEATH™;139022659 said:
Trust me when I say it's gonna get better. I put it along Toradora and Golden Time league where things get serious as you follow along... Please don't drop it on after 3 episodes...

Why does this read as a massive warning flag instead?

Watch the first arc, feel like you've seen a great romcom, then stop.
Listen to this advice. I wish I had stopped there when I did when I watched it. On some level I wish I didn't watch it.
What's the reason it goes down the shitter? What episodes is this arc?

DEATH™;139022659 said:

Aslong as there's no Ghost Banri around I'll be fine

Firemind

Millennium actress

worst Satoshi Kon film

madp

The Light of El Cantare
G no Reconguista 4

How did the MC know he could make a shock wave and beat 3 enemies like that?

Besides for that and the out of nowhere scene with the fish in a bowl this was probably the most sane episode of G no Reconguista. The action at the end was all really good and I guess our MC is gonna end up aligning himself with the pirates... for some reason.

The Aida thirst is real.

Shengar

Let's kickstart an avatar for firehawk.
He use Titanfall one before, why he take that off?
worst Satoshi Kon film

Rj0NVsp.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What's the reason it goes down the shitter? What episodes is this arc?

Aslong as there's no Ghost Banri around I'll be fine
Haha.
I actually don't know if Ghost Banri was better or worse, but I my problem is that the characters aren't allowed to evolve, because it's a romcom story that is six episodes long stretched out to 20+ episodes. In fact, it repeats character development three times, in a manner that I found extremely infuriating. The fact that the last novel wasn't finished when this adaptation happened means that the anime itself ends with a bit of a whimper as well and doesn't even give you the payoff that Golden Time had.

Kazzy

[My Little Monster 1-5]

...What's this?! A show whose characters pretty explicitly lay out their feelings for each other, and in the first episode, no less?! Pinch me, I must be dreaming!

Sure, I know of this show, just nothing much about it - so this comes as a nice surprise. At least to me.

By no means is this entirely a unique claim, though it's still such a rare thing to experience, that it feels like a huge novelty, whenever it does actually happen. Perhaps it's riding on the crest of that wave, but I'm enjoying what I've watched so far (about 5 episodes in). I'd like to revert from the whole pessimist shtick for one moment, and instead dwell on the fact that I hope this continues to focus on the 'after' of the confessions, rather than the antiquated preamble.

I'll take my leave, before any of these hopes are dashed by a one-line response.

Firemind

[My Little Monster 1-5]

...What's this?! A show whose characters pretty explicitly lay out their feelings for each other, and in the first episode, no less?! Pinch me, I must be dreaming!

Sure, I know of this show, just nothing much about it - so this comes as a nice surprise. At least to me.

By no means is this entirely a unique claim, though it's still such a rare thing to experience, that it feels like a huge novelty, whenever it does actually happen. Perhaps it's riding on the crest of that wave, but I'm enjoying what I've watched so far (about 5 episodes in). I'd like to revert from the whole pessimist shtick for one moment, and instead dwell on the fact that I hope this continues to focus on the 'after' of the confessions, rather than the antiquated preamble.

I'll take my leave, before any of these hopes are dashed by a one-line response.
You should listen to your pessimistic self.

Pani Poni Dash 12

Boring girl confirmed to have a loser dad. Becky for no dreams 11 year old. Tokyo sure seems to be depicted as a place with no dreams in this show.

Ushinawerareta Mirai no motomete - 07

Yui is making moves to change the future, unaware that jalousy and misunderstanding are the worst ennemies one could have when you time travel.

IThe episode was alright , i hope we'll have some pay-off at the end

Assassin's Creed Unity

Once again as are the rules foretold by anime, it is sad to see that (ending spoilers)
romance story with childhood friend as lead never ends well.

2/10

would not play again

Syrinx

Code Geass 16

Mao you dumbass. You could have kept this up if you hadn't taken that blindfold thing off like an idiot. And I so enjoyed his character, too.

Mao blurts out that Suzaku killed his own father. That was...sudden. Only furthers that Suzaku is a pathetic loser though, since all his self-righteousness is not only naive and pathetic but now also hypocritical, especially since he called Zero a self-righteous hypocrite for his goals and ideals directly hurting people. Stay losing, Suzaku.

Haha, Lloyd's the suitor for the student council president. How's that gonna turn out? I hope they go through with it. Just because he's wacky.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero - 6

So
each of the girls who powered up the last episode has lost part of a physical ability.

Yet despite that, everything's still all happy with them. I'm really curious to see what direction this show is going to go in now.

Like,
is there really going to be no more magical girl stuff from now on? Or will the conditions they have worsen despite us continually being told this episode that they're temporary.

Honestly, I can't exactly feel the foreshadowing here as much as I did with Madoka. In that show,
you could feel a genuine sense of hopelessness. And even in its first few episodes it still had that overall feel that things weren't exactly "quite right".

In this show, we've still got a nice, upbeat attitude with our main characters for the most part, despite the setbacks.

To get a little insight on this show, I did a little investigating and I read that the main themes for this show are "courage", and "being a hero". Now, I know the latter is obvious, but the former gives me room for further speculation.

The whole thing with them
losing a part of their physical abilites due to them powering up may play in favour of the courage thing. So if they do end up having to transform into magical girls again, I assume everyone (save Yuna) will be scared to power up again in the middle of a battle. Which will lead to the deaths of one of the members of the club. Then the remainder of the show will be about them fightining off the last enemies with their full power, despite knowing what could happen to their bodies. With the whole message being the usual "Having courage and being a hero means doing what you have to do, even though it's scary" kind of thing.

That's the way I can see this show going. My other thoughts? I really hope they somehow top the fight scene from the last episode and have them go all TTGL.

It's really strange how this show doesn't have many viewers here. It's nothing like that Day Break Illusion show that aired last year.

StormKing

Assassin's Creed Unity

Once again as are the rules foretold by anime, it is sad to see that (ending spoilers)
romance story with childhood friend as lead never ends well.

2/10

would not play again

I've only seen childhood friend romance work out in three instances.
1. There are no other love interests.
2. The other love interests die.
3. The relationship with the other love interest fails.

Millennium actress

Didn't like it a whole lot. I felt the format helped its formal aspects but not its characters. Didn't help that it butchered An Expert Mountain.

Perfect Blue is still my favorite work of his, and probably his most unforgiving.

MCD

This irregular at magic highschool anime...is there an edited version without the sick incest parts? Because episode 3 was too much for me.

I don't think so. She stalked him and there was no scene of interaction between them I think. Naruto's childhood friends would be Shikamaru, Chouji, and Kiba. They actually hanged out as kids.

They were friends?

Well they apparently "met" before. But like the above quote, that was more of a retcon to go hey, He wasnt completely alone.

Then again, Kiba now was like his wingman, and Shikamaru was a fucking bro.

Syrinx

Code Geass 17

What's with Lelouch's maniacal laughter there at the end? Is he going mad now that he's learned the truth? This show isn't much for the whole "subtlety" thing, is it? (note, that's necessarily a bad thing) Rolled my eyes a bit when he was like "No, Suzaku, you can't be there! You have to protect Nunnally!" Like...when did that become his job? You were gonna ask him but you didn't, and he never agreed to it. Plus, if it's anybody's job to protect her, it would be yours, wouldn't it? Oh right, you have more important shit to do.

Did I hear that right that Nunnally tries to skate on the pond when it freezes over? She had to have been talking about the past, before, well, she was blind and in a wheelchair.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly does Euphemia do around here? She's a potential love interest for Suzaku, but that hasn't really gone anywhere at all other than her naming him as her knight (big surprise there). I guess that will be the catalyst for their development going forward, since nothing has happened on that front for the last ten or so episodes now.

StormKing

This irregular at magic highschool anime...is there an edited version without the sick incest parts? Because episode 3 was too much for me.

Incest is mainly on the sister's side. Tatsuya just likes to joke about it. I think he even gets Miyuki to dance with another guy. Unfortunately, the sister is obsessed with Tatsuya.

Haha no I was talking to the guy right above me. Regardless no worries.

Ah, had me scared for a second there, haha.

Code Geass 17

What's with Lelouch's maniacal laughter there at the end? Is he going mad now that he's learned the truth? This show isn't much for the whole "subtlety" thing, is it? (note, that's necessarily a bad thing) Rolled my eyes a bit when he was like "No, Suzaku, you can't be there! You have to protect Nunnally!" Like...when did that become his job? You were gonna ask him but you didn't, and he never agreed to it. Plus, if it's anybody's job to protect her, it would be yours, wouldn't it? Oh right, you have more important shit to do.

Did I hear that right that Nunnally tries to skate on the pond when it freezes over? She had to have been talking about the past, before, well, she was blind and in a wheelchair.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly does Euphemia do around here? She's a potential love interest for Suzaku, but that hasn't really gone anywhere at all other than her naming him as her knight (big surprise there). I guess that will be the catalyst for their development going forward, since nothing has happened on that front for the last ten or so episodes now.

Just popping in to say that I'm LOVING these Geass impressions of yours. You're asking all the right questions. Keep going. :D

High-Scool! Seha Girls - 6

HE'S HEEEEEEEEERE!

MCD

Incest is mainly on the sister's side. Tatsuya just likes to joke about it. I think he even gets Miyuki to dance with another guy. Unfortunately, the sister is obsessed with Tatsuya.

Yeah, I realize it's one sided. Still makes me feel uncomfortable.

Can't this anime just be about oni-san taking down racist kids?

Xam'd 5-9

Interest slowly rising. Whatever war/conflict is going on, I don't really care about that. And most of the characters are alright, except for Haru. She fucking sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom