• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Oh man.

"Forgive me General but I have to KILL ALL THE JAPANESE!"

I assume somewhere there's a gif of Bender saying "Hey, sexy mama. Wanna kill all Japanese?"

Ventara

What's the best example of adaptation taking liberties over source material anyway, K-ON?

Some from this thread think its a good option, like when we discussing that upcoming Rie Matsumoto show but I can't came up with many good example.

I haven't seen it myself, but I recall reading that Ghost Stories pretty much does it's own thing. Though I don't remember if that was just the localization.

JCG

What's the best example of adaptation taking liberties over source material anyway, K-ON?

Some from this thread think its a good option, like when we discussing that upcoming Rie Matsumoto show but I can't came up with many good example.

I don't know what is the single best example, overall, but personally I've always liked the way Planetes did it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Log Horizon, the anime decide not to mention sexual stuff that's happening in the novel.

Parasyte, making the anime more modern.

Aoi Bungaku, especially the Hashire Melos part.

Syrinx

I haven't followed this discussion so I don't know if this applies, but Sailor Moon?

fertygo

Pretty much every KyoAni adaptation.
Parasyte is doing some good things, like modernizing it with tablets and laptops from the 90s setting.
Hmm let see..

Clannad and Haruhi seem very faithful

K-ON and their LN adaptation is very liberal and I think only K-ON that had consistent positive reception.

Don't know about Hyouka..
I haven't seen it myself, but I recall reading that Ghost Stories pretty much does it's own thing. Though I don't remember if that was just the localization.

I don't know what is the single best example, overall, but personally I've always liked the way Planetes did it.

Planetes seem a good pick.. but thre's just not many successful attempt it seem even on weak source material anyway.

Aoi Bungaku, especially the Hashire Melos part.

err, isn't the Melos part is just drama metaphor to mix in actual story?

Quasar

Log Horizon, the anime decide not to mention sexual stuff that's happening in the novel

sexual stuff? Maybe it's just bad memory or bad translation, but I don't remember reading any sex? sure there's the three girls who crush on Shiroe and Henriettas crush on tiny ninja, but that appears in both versions.

certainly I don't recall any in the books it's covering now.

Jintor

sexual stuff? Maybe it's just bad memory or bad translation, but I don't remember reading any sex? sure there's the three girls who crush on Shiroe and Henriettas crush on tiny ninja, but that appears in both versions.

There's a bit of a larger implication that sexual assault and that kind of thing can happen. Also one character has some... Back story (not a euphemism) that is kind of rough.

PK Gaming

Code Geass 22

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoopsie-doodle.

Lelouch_vi_Britannia_by_SparkleScented.png

Straight up in the top 5 for the dumbest scene in all of anime

That trend only gained strength in the last few years, and I hate it. So, I'm happy to see a show not following it, even if the ending itself ends up mediocre.
No way i would wish a mediocre ending to a show i follow and i enjoy.

If the show is popular enough and there's material, it can get a second season following the source, doesn't matter if the original had strayed from the source. Aside from full reboots like Brotherhood or Yozakura Quartet, there are also examples of animes just continuing to later manga material and ignoring the filler from the original anime, like To Love Ru. In the case of AgK, it's not doing well enough to get anything else, filler ending or not. The filler ending isn't robbing people from a second season, it's there because there's no way this show is getting a second season.
Not every show can afford reboots , but some can get oavs or movies.
It's just a matter of staying true to the source material.
heck even to love ru after it stopped , continuated BY adapting the source material since the story was ( and still is ) ongoing. and their fillers never changed entire chunk of events , it was just bonuses stories to fill space. Much unlike what AGK is doing.

The best anime only ending was the Medaka Box one where Ajimu just tells you to read the manga to find out what happens.

And it was fine that way , trully. You end your season on some cannon yet anime original stuff ... and if the audience wants more ? go read the manga. The arc was concluded, promises were kept, the door is kept open if they want to make more anime.everyone is happy.

Anime original endings are complete garbage, if you liked the material well enough to that point you should want to see the real story even if it just comes to a halt ala Berserk. Nobody is left satisfied by anime original endings. Neither fans of the manga who wanted to see their favorite scenes adapted or anime only watchers because they frequently get a mediocre conclusion that feels inconclusive. Even if you pull a Blue Exorcist or an FMA 03 and plan to go a completely different direction from the beginning these endings are often still vastly inferior and again leave neither manga fans or anime fans satisfied.

Well during the first susukino events , when the assholes were feared in town , the people of the land were abused in various ways ( including what you can think of ) This was ommitted in the anime because this wasn't an important plot point . i'm not even sure this part wasn't removed during the second version of the priniting of the books it's not even said , just heavily implied..

- Sabagebu is a good one ( since it's vastly different from the manga )
-Galaxy angel went from serious space drama sci-fi in their games to Comedy of the week episodes

2 examples on the top of my head.

PaniPoni Dash 20

Part 2, dealing with the fucking shrooms

And finding out that Plain girl loves mushrooms.... too much. Fucking lusting over how mushrooms talk, girl. You're not so plain I guess. Or maybe it's a certain style of talking that grabs her jibbles.

And deep down, Beckers also likes her some good ol maho. Alls well that ends well

And wigs

jman2050

Excel Saga is an example of a studio reading up on the source material, throwing all of it in the trash, and then getting high on a cocktail of coke, heroin, and some exotic east asian herbs and committing the result to film.

Not even sure if its the dumbest scene in Code Geass

Table-kun is easily dumber for an infinite number of reasons

Well i would have trouble putting a top 5 of the dumbest scenes in code geass so ...

i have some serious contenders for :

-LIVE !

Do you have the resolve to not pull the trigger ?

Well i would have trouble putting a top 5 of the dumbest scenes in code geass so ...

i have some serious contenders for :

-LIVE !

Honorable mention to the fan translation that had the wall of text translator notes during the chess match

JCG

I still say he intended it all from the start.

Well, you could definitely argue that he did it subconsciously at most.

Either way, it's not like Code Geass made his intentions earlier in that scene seem benign.

I can't think of 4 anime scenes I'd put above that.

Ah, the wonders of subjective experience and rhetoric! I've seen too many dumber anime to pretend there isn't a mountain of competition. At least this case had a point and, in retrospect, telegraphed elements. It's still very silly though.

Table-kun is easily dumber for an infinite number of reasons

Table-kun is weird but hilarious. I never thought that was a problem.

-LIVE !

That's more melodrama than anything else, given what was established beforehand.

Akame ga Kill 20

What a weird way to go about things. Wild Hunt is reduced to a group of nameless nobodies,
Lubbock and Syura have a legit fight instead of the former one-hit KOing the latter
and they're just going out of order in general.

How the hell are they going to end this?

Code Geass 23

As insane as Geass is, this episode IMO has the most powerful moment in the whole show.

The scene where Lelouch is giving his speech to the Japanese contrasting with Euphemia dying was brilliantly executed. It had the right tone, it set up what direction the show was to go in from that point onwards, etc. It's just a really well done anime moment in general. Even if what led up to that moment was pretty convoluted.

Syrinx

Never liked her, but Nina really makes the best horrible faces.

What did you think about the rest of this episode though?

I guess I was just perplexed at how
Lelouch went about this episode without acknowledging or really even reacting at all to how this whole mess going on is entirely his fault. He was the one who lost control of his Geass (at the most (in)convenient of times) and accidentally ordered Euphemia to KILL ALL THE JAPANESE! But he just trucks right on, taking full advantage of the situation. He didn't mean to get all those innocent people killed needlessly and have the name of the one he loved disgraced, but as long as they are (because of him), oh well, opportune time for him.

Same sort of deal for Suzaku. He knows Euphemia gave the order, he doesn't realize that Zero was the one who made her do it. Yet he abandons his (very loose, naive, and hypocritical) values, acknowledges such, and goes to the sky with the full intent to kill Zero because he hates him so much. While for all he knows Zero killed her because holy shit, SHE ORDERED THE DEATH OF ALL JAPANESE! He does seem to realize that what happened to her was similar to what happened to him. But he doesn't know that Zero's the direct cause of that.

I guess I shouldn't be perplexed though. It just seems like the running theme throughout this show how nobody has any sense of accountability and does not at all hold themselves to the same standards they hold others. Suzaku was the poster boy for this shit throughout the show, but Lelouch is absolutely the same. Happy accident that got those thousands of innocent Japanese killed; not his fault or his problem, even though they were the ones he was supposedly fighting for.

Lelouch went about this episode without acknowledging or really even reacting at all to how this whole mess going on is entirely his fault. He was the one who lost control of his Geass (at the most (in)convenient of times) and accidentally ordered Euphemia to KILL ALL THE JAPANESE! But he just trucks right on, taking full advantage of the situation. He didn't mean to get all those innocent people killed needlessly and have the name of the one he loved disgraced, but as long as they are (because of him), oh well, opportune time for him.

Same sort of deal for Suzaku. He knows Euphemia gave the order, he doesn't realize that Zero was the one who made her do it. Yet he abandons his (very loose, naive, and hypocritical) values, acknowledges such, and goes to the sky with the full intent to kill Zero because he hates him so much. While for all he knows Zero killed her because holy shit, SHE ORDERED THE DEATH OF ALL JAPANESE! He does seem to realize that what happened to her was similar to what happened to him. But he doesn't know that Zero's the direct cause of that.

I guess I shouldn't be perplexed though. It just seems like the running theme throughout this show how nobody has any sense of accountability and does not at all hold themselves to the same standards they hold others. Suzaku was the poster boy for this shit throughout the show, but Lelouch is absolutely the same. Happy accident that got those thousands of innocent Japanese killed; not his fault or his problem, even though they were the ones he was supposedly fighting for.

Ooooh this one. Oh yeah, I remember this moment. This is why no one has a degree in Accounting.

PaniPoni Dash 22

I want to die. please kill me.

Ventara

No Game No Life Episode 1

Thumbs up. I liked it a lot. Cool MC, cute sister, fantasy world and a fun-sounding story. The anime didn't waste much time on the "traveling-to-a-new-world" schtick, which was appreciated. Anyways, so they're in a world ruled by games. I'm hoping for some bad ass games where the MC wins in awesome ways. I'm kinda curious if the real world will be touched upon later, like their parents and more details on how they became so introverted.

JCG

Hmm...
It might be slightly early to discuss this in full, but I'd have to disagree with the statement that there was "no reaction" on his part. He wouldn't have cried or shown any feelings near the end of episode 22 if that were the case. That said, I'll easily admit Lelouch can be rather hard to read at times, at least when he's not obviously spelling things out in public, since this is a flawed man who lies a lot and doesn't let too many people see his true self.

From his own twisted and semi-villainous point of view, what choice does he have? Either Lelouch comes completely clean to Suzaku about what happened -which would be the "good guy" thing to do and the most reasonable for a regular person in the real world- or the guy follows through with what he has increasingly attempted at least since the Shirley event: accept that this is all part of the so-called "path of carnage" and that if he turns back then his previous choices and grand posturing would have been a mistake. Even the deaths he caused would also be for nothing.

Based on his own reasoning, if Lelouch is ostensibly doing all this with the mindset that "the ends justify the means" in addition to his more idealistic yet self-centered set of personal motivations...then it would be a sign of cowardice and a betrayal of his own principles to take a step back when things are starting to get uglier for him. Not to mention that too many people have expectations about Zero the Ally of Justice and the crisis only makes it more urgent for him to act. Or at least, that's one part of the picture...in truth, Lelouch certainly isn't as mature as he thinks at this point. That complicates things.

If you ask me, his mindset sure isn't the most constructive or self-critical way to accept responsibility, I'll grant you, but it definitely fits Lelouch as a character. That said, he isn't aloof to the fact this is his own fault. He literally tells Suzaku to hate him and think of Euphie during the telephone call, which is an indirect acknowledgement of guilt rather than a denial of it.

TUSR

Banned
No Game No Life Episode 1

Thumbs up. I liked it a lot. Cool MC, cute sister, fantasy world and a fun-sounding story. The anime didn't waste much time on the "traveling-to-a-new-world" schtick, which was appreciated. Anyways, so they're in a world ruled by games. I'm hoping for some bad ass games where the MC wins in awesome ways. I'm kinda curious if the real world will be touched upon later, like their parents and more details on how they became so introverted.

You're in for a treat.

Ventara

No Game No Life Episode 2

Well, the first half of the episode was garbage. The rock-paper-scissors was too obvious (I would've owned his ass), though I guess it set the stage for more of Steph's over-reactions, which are mildly funny. And there was too much pantsu crap, and that bit about him not being able to be apart from his sister was stupid (I have a bad feeling it'll come up later in the anime during an important plot point).

Second half was good, though. Sets the stage for the rest of the anime and provides us with a mid-boss of sorts story-wise. Seeing Sora become King (I assume that's what's gonna happen) and move humanity's ranking up through the 16 species from last place will be interesting.

You're in for a treat.

Excellent. Good to know.

Edit: Btw, what's the guideline here regarding spoilers? Is posting the anime and episode # in bold enough, or should I use spoiler tags?

Syrinx

Hmm...
It might be slightly early to discuss this in full, but I'd have to disagree with the statement that there was "no reaction" on his part. He wouldn't have cried or shown any feelings near the end of episode 22 if that were the case. That said, I'll easily admit Lelouch can be rather hard to read at times, at least when he's not obviously spelling things out in public, since this is a flawed man who lies a lot and doesn't let too many people see his true self.

From his own twisted and semi-villainous point of view, what choice does he have? Either Lelouch comes completely clean to Suzaku about what happened -which would be the "good guy" thing to do and the most reasonable for a regular person in the real world- or the guy follows through with what he has increasingly attempted at least since the Shirley event: accept that this is all part of the so-called "path of carnage" and that if he turns back then his previous choices and grand posturing would have been ahappened. Even the deaths he caused would also be for nothing.

Based on his own reasoning, if Lelouch is ostensibly doing all this with the mindset that "the ends justify the means" in addition to his more idealistic yet self-centered set of personal motivations...then it would be a sign of cowardice and a betrayal of his own principles to take a step back when things are starting to get uglier for him. Not to mention that too many people have expectations about Zero the Ally of Justice and the crisis only makes it more urgent for him to act. Or at least, that's one part of the picture...in truth, Lelouch certainly isn't as mature as he thinks at this point. That complicates things.

If you ask me, his mindset sure isn't the most constructive or self-critical way to accept responsibility, I'll grant you, but it definitely fits Lelouch as a character. That said, he isn't aloof to the fact this is his own fault. He literally tells Suzaku to hate him and think of Euphie during the telephone call, which is an indirect acknowledgement of guilt rather than a denial of it.
Well I was specifically referring to this episode. He did show reaction as it happened, but once this episode began it was pretty much business as usual.
You're right that he told Suzaku to hate him...but then he laughed maniacally. Maybe this is a result of his Geass taking over him, but this isn't the first time he's done that either (ex: ending of the episode where he learned Suzaku was the pilot of the Lancelot).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom