• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grisaia no Kajitsu Episode 7
Seriously, has anyone in this show thought about like idk getting some real professional help for these children, like one of those psychiatrist people

she made real fucking bombs.
i don't think a school for 6 people is what would be the only answer to those people. Psychatrists probably have been tried and have failed.. and you haven't even seen the most crazy yet.

What's the consensus on the current season of Log Horizon? Good, bad, ugly? I just started watching some of Season 1 today and I'm wondering if the show is worth investing in.

Very good , yet inferior to S1. But there are some twists that are worth being invested in this franchise.

Railgun S - 05

In this show we go from this
to that.

edit: Man that near-level-6 villain is so lame :/
Know what makes for boring combat? If someone simply doesn't even get scratched by powerful attacks against them. It's not even presented in an interesting fashion, just the good old "look, the dust settles and similar to the audience I don't give a fuck!"

wonzo

Banned
Yowapeda 34-38 END
yowapeda34.jpg
yowapeda34a.jpg

yowapeda36.jpg
yowapeda36a.jpg

It ends on a cliffhanger but this was the HYPEST SHIT I've ever seen in a sports show since the last ep of GuP and this was spread across multiple episodes! SUCH PASSION AND EMOTION coursing through each and every frame to the point where you can even feel the production team putting their all into it. Ahhhhhh I feel like such a shit for putting this on the backburner and missing out on such unbridled joy for so long.

GOAT SHONEN HAATO SERIES (rip akb49)

jgminto

Yowapeda 34-38 END

It ends on a cliffhanger but this was the HYPEST SHIT I've ever seen in a sports show since the last ep of GuP and this was spread across multiple episodes! SUCH PASSION AND EMOTION coursing through each and every frame to the point where you can even feel the production team putting their all into it. Ahhhhhh I feel like such a shit for putting this on the backburner and missing out on such unbridled joy for so long.

GOAT SHONEN HAATO SERIES (rip akb49)

No other sport show recently has even come close to the ridiculous emotions of Yowapeda. It only gets better as it continues too.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Oh yeah, C3-bu and Amaburi also take a lot of liberty.
C3-bu manga did not have in Spec ops: the line moment
while amaburi is changing several thing.

sexual stuff? Maybe it's just bad memory or bad translation, but I don't remember reading any sex? sure there's the three girls who crush on Shiroe and Henriettas crush on tiny ninja, but that appears in both versions.

certainly I don't recall any in the books it's covering now.

It's already answered by the other, but yeah, i meant the implied sexual assault.

Glorious!

What's the consensus on the current season of Log Horizon? Good, bad, ugly? I just started watching some of Season 1 today and I'm wondering if the show is worth investing in.

It's good, but not as good as season 1.

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S

So I'm only 6 episodes in but it's not doing anything for me. Saw people recommending it along the lines of "somewhat mindless cute with cool action", however, this is probably another example where this "just dumb fun!" motto simply doesn't work for me. Even movies or shows with that purpose still have to be done really well to be actually enjoyable to me. There's gotta be either good humor, great characters or great action, preferable all of these.

Now I didn't see the predecessors so I'm not sure if it's fair to harp on the characters but the MC's characterization seems rather inconsistent, the (current?) villain quite generic the side-characters feel like some filler-moe, not very good one at that. Animation quality is good and the combat sequence in the first episode was neat. But since then it's been rather lame. As mentioned above the first encounter with that Accelerator guy was rather lame, even with the great special effects for the attacks.

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S

So I'm only 6 episodes in but it's not doing anything for me. Saw people recommending it along the lines of "somewhat mindless cute with cool action", however, this is probably another example where this "just dumb fun!" motto simply doesn't work for me. Even movies or shows with that purpose still have to be done really well to be actually enjoyable to me. There's gotta be either good humor, great characters or great action, preferable all of these.

Now I didn't see the predecessors so I'm not sure if it's fair to harp on the characters but the MC's characterization seems rather inconsistent, the (current?) villain quite generic the side-characters feel like some filler-moe, not very good one at that. Animation quality is good and the combat sequence in the first episode was neat. But since then it's been rather lame. As mentioned above the first encounter with that Accelerator guy was rather lame, even with the great special effects for the attacks.

Well no

Railgun works only because you've seen the stuff that was released in order.
One just doesn't jump into railgun S without watching Index or Railgun first season .
You're asking for stuff that was already explained and defined elsewhere , so of course railgun S will take another approach .
Why would you jump in what is basicly Season 2 without backstory and then wonder that some stuff is inconsistent ?

I mean yeah , railgun S has issues , but not what you think ATM

Well no

Why would you jump in what is basicly Season 2 without backstory and then wonder that some stuff is inconsistent ?

Because I've heard that the predecessor isn't particularly good and considering it's a "dumb fun" kind of show I dived right into this. But yeh, I suppose I don't have much room to complain because of that, still apart from the MC the other characters are currently doing jack shit, no matter what their original role consisted of.

And the MCs behavior just feels inconsistent in these few episodes already. Her stance on the cloning seems to be all over the place from absolutely terrified to not minding much and having cutesy conversations with one of them. One whose left leg gets ripped off by hand 8 mins later no less.

Jintor

Denki-gai 02

Wow. Lewd. Like... really lewd. At least it was mostly equal opportunity lewd. The 'lol u gunna get not-raped' gag was... pretty... over the line, I think, though. This show's treading a fine line... but I think I'll still watch it, it's still pretty funny... most of the time.

Persona 4 The Golden 04

God I forgot this fucking show was the Marie show. Goddamnit.

Stupid Persona fanboyness making me finish what I start :T

Because I've heard that the predecessor isn't particularly good and considering it's a "dumb fun" kind of show I dived right into this. But yeh, I suppose I don't have much room to complain because of that, still apart from the MC the other characters are currently doing jack shit, no matter what their original role consisted of.

And the MCs behavior just feels inconsistent in these few episodes already. Her stance on the cloning seems to be all over the place from absolutely terrified to not minding much and having cutesy conversations with one of them. One whose left leg gets ripped off by hand 8 mins later no less.

Index is quite big .. there is a LOT of material , and the premise while dumb at times actively rely on stuff that has been told and said before... this isn't a serie where you can just jump at some point and be fine.

Index is what : 35 books ? railgun is 12+ volumes ? ( give or take 2 ) ...

To clarify : She is freaked at first from learning of the clones , then realise that she want to protect them because they are used as fooder . She hates the fact that her DNA map was taken ( even if she gave them ) because she was manipulated into doing so.
Also , accelerator vs clone fight was supposed to be that one sided. The gap is just too huge between the 2.Level 5 are cheat codes but accelerator is several level higher than that

Akame Ga Kill 20

Dropped. Worst writing ever. Anime is not supposed to make us crey.

Tribe Cool Crew Episode 7

Now this was perfect, Kumo and Chibisuke make the perfect team and both so in love with their Jay El, who is just so pretty. I hope they are succesful in going on with dance road.

That other boy that did that thing with the ball and cup was pretty amazing even if really minor moment.

At least one reference I can get
B2g9n9mCMAEw8oq.jpg:large

Nikodemos

Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou (Demon King Daimaou):

Man, Akuto suffers badly from foot-in-mouth disease with a side-order of astronomical cluelessness. He always seems to put words in other people's mouths. He didn't once think that maybe Hiroshi didn't really mind being the Hero, or that maybe Junko didn't mind marrying him.

I hate harem MCs who effortlessly blurt out dumb crap which antagonises other characters.

Is there a harem series where the MC shows reasonable rapid-fire thinking?

Oreca Battle / DraColle Episode 33

Oreca Boys get the win t his week for Orega Fire kuns brilliant performance using Bahn, Rock, and Scarlet Dragon. Really intense and great fighting abilities and visuals.

Mayuyu is a cute nickname too

DraColle, well finally Papi is back and epic Fire Drake action

Herobank Episode 33
B2pd8l_CYAEkG5u.png

Enter the Prize is epic though I wanted a bit more of the Rampage Suit Kaito.

This week's Bahamut talk show crossover with Shirobako, and there's one thing is pretty interesting

Cygames proposed Bahamut anime to PA Works before MAPPA but they refused due to scheduling issues(i guess because they have Shirobako to do), then PA Works recommend MAPPA to Cygames.

I wonder how will PA's Bahamut looks like lol.
Oh and, no recap and beach episode for Shirobako.

D-Frag! END - Gotta say, this show is kind of a bummer. It should have been a lot funnier than it was. Roka is such a fantastically hilarious character, but instead of her being the focus of the show its Kazama who is decidedly not funny. In fact, he actually makes everything around him less funny. Whenever some dumb situation comes up he just starts yelling. And yelling is what unfunny people do to try to hide the fact that they're not funny. Like some sort of anime Dane Cook. For every great scene with Roka in it, there are like 3-4 scenes that made me bored and upset.

cajunator

Banned
Incest is mainly on the sister's side. Tatsuya just likes to joke about it. I think he even gets Miyuki to dance with another guy. Unfortunately, the sister is obsessed with Tatsuya.

I dont normally like these imoutos obsessed with onii-chan types, but in MAhoukas case the poor girl was so ridiculously thirsty it was incredible.
I gave it reprieve.

Lol it is quite something. but it wasnt meant to be this way.

From the New World 7

I can't say a ton happened this episode but I always appreciate this show's world building. It really feels like its from a New World (I said the name of the show :p) and that the writers thought through all the details of this weird society.

Girls und Panzer 8

I guess this show needed some "drama" to move the "plot" along or something. I liked the little Russian interlude though its a shame that it got lost in the Sentai release. Most of these characters continue to be annoying as fuck.

I was mostly speaking in terms of the modern era and televised animation so obviously the Disney classics would be outside the realm of that conversation (though they are mostly fantastic for all the reasons you said from an animation standpoint).

As as been mentioned in the following discussion I guess i just boils down to the animation culture and the variable fruits produced. On one hand I appreciate all the quality material that culture on the other side of the Pacific has allowed to exist but I say that of course as one who only has to consume this media and not produce it. There's no question that overall they are under-compensated.

Episode 7 barely touches the surface. Youll discover a whole lot more about this world, some of which you might wish you hadnt. Its a very dark path. Incredible series.
Really dont want to even hint at anything for fear of ruining it.

A lot of pretty backgrounds but otherwise not much to go by yet.

Is there a studio that is extremely consistent? More so than other studios? I know it's technically a subjective answer, but is there such a thing as a studio that makes critically acclaimed shows regularly?

SHAFT!

DEATH™;139057042 said:
Do people hate Ghost Banri that much? I know he's a jerk or something but still...

That was the worst thing ever really. Like I cannot describe accurately in words how much I loathed it. SO bad that I havent even bought Golden Time yet despite Koko being a goddess because of that fucking element. Man that show pissed me off so much.

The year they made This Ugly Yet Beautiful World and helped out on Melody of Oblivion? Not sure I'd call that consistent with their earlier titles. Up through FLCL in 2000 they were pretty consistent, but I can't really think of a single post-FLCL Gainax work that has any real merit.

Yes, this was the beginning of the end. Even by my standards Kono Minikuku Mo Utsukushii Sekai was a flop and terrible. It was as phoned in as Gainax has ever done and it was supposed to be a anniverary release :(
The upside is that The MAhoromatic character designer worked on it and as a result Akari and Hikari are cute as fuck. The funny thing is, Te MC in Chaika's abilities remind in osme ways of the protag in this show especially his appearance.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero 1-5

This show gives me a lot of Madoka vibes with the general concept kind of being similar. So far the transformations and fights are cool, the characters are fun to watch outside of combat and the latest episode was some real Final Episode Battle type material.

Apparently this show is only 12 episodes so I'm almost half way already. One thing I feel is noteworthy is how often death has been hinted (especially in
episodes 3 and 4
) at. Numerous times Itsuki has drawn the death tarot card whether it's for her
singing or when she knocked her laptop bag over at the end of episode 4
. There are likely a few other occurrences that I've missed out on too. They could either be poking fun at "death flags" or it could be actual foreshadowing. After episode 5 it could go either way.

This show can only end in sadness and Im really dreading it. Some cutie is gonna die.

This might be one of the worst anime related posts I've read on GAF O_O

Hmmm. Its possible. Equating anime fans with gamergate? Go fuck a seahorse.

Valkyria Chronicles 11

Who brings a pig to a banquet?

This has to be the worst rewrite so far. Why the hell is Selveria and Jaeger there?

Its a (puts shades on) PIG IN A BANQUET
Ok Ill show myself out...

So, a change of artist (we're using Jasmin Darnell now, in case people don't remember) delayed things a bit, but we have a sketch!

If anyone has any comments/things that might be changed, feel free to let me know via PM!

Scan248_zps19a0a0ab.jpg

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
*hugs it

I dunno man, Sentai get a lot of crap for this, but if you actually play both versions of the scene side-by-side, in addition to the removal of the lip-flaps, there are actually quite a few other alterations to the animation in terms of scene transitions and pan timing and duration to go along with the change in music. I don't think Sentai would have either the money, capability or materials to do such a thing themselves, which makes me think that the whole amended sequence was what they were handed from the licensors in Japan and told they had to use.

Tarou confirmed as GuP staffer.

There was literally nothing they could do. The scene was ruined from when Sentai got it because the song was gone. Basically damage control. It does suck though. Reminds me of how Speed Graphers only saving grace was the OP and they couldnt use it here.
Stupid licensing rules.

Stulaw

Just noticed that in the poster for Resurrection of F, Krillen's hair has disappeared again. Maybe it's while they're training to fight the androids, but then, why would Beerus and Weiss be involved?

dan2026

Seven Deadly Sins 7

Well its good to see that the gore isn't being censored.
Strange how some shows have such a problem with tv censorship(Terra Formars, Jojo etc) and some get away scott free.

Code:
[IMG]http://s11.postimg.org/c4oz3effn/ban.jpg[/IMG]

Jex

Love Naoki Urasawa's style and have been considering watching this after UY. Looks good!

I understand from what Hitokage said about the show (he watched far more episodes than I) that it can be frustrating at times later on.

Mature

I understand from what Hitokage said about the show (he watched far more episodes than I) that it can be frustrating at times later on.
Noted. Time is too limited to watch anything not great or seminal. Hito sure didn't steer me wrong with UY.

Right now I'm looking at:
Ideon
LOGH
Dirty Pair
Wolf's Rain
Tylor

Amongst others.

Still got a lot of Urusei Yatsura to get through though. Maybe if there was a season where I wasn't watching 7 shows I could get through it a bit quicker...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom