• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I thought SHAFT was taking the season off to work on Kizu.

It was naive of me to hope. There is no hope, only disappointment.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Katanagatari - 1-12

That show was really something. I'm not even sure what category it would fall under since even though action oriented, not very shounen-like. The premise involves a government "strategist", Togame, that recruits Yasuri Shichika, the head of the Kyotouryuu Martial Arts style to collect the 12 "Deviant Blades" across Japan, but they are not the only ones after the swords either.

It's strength lies in the dialogue between characters and the personal growth that the two main characters go through during their journey. The show can be funny, heartbreaking, dark, romantic, and cute, but it's essence is always the same.

Speaking of funny, I enjoyed its unique sense of humor which was pervasive throughout the series in varying levels (episode 4, I'm looking at you). It toys with expectations and occasion purposefully trolls the audience. The star of the attraction, the characters, truly seemed alive. They all have their own goals, motivations (or lack thereof), conflicts and so forth that constantly kept evolving and maturing as the show progressed.

I was a big fan of the art from the get go, even though how "eyes" were portrayed bugged me a bit. Everything is flat, but definitely a beautiful show for the most part.

This is pretty vague for a full series review, but I don't feel like spoiling a thing for anyone who has yet to watch it. If you haven't seen it, do it so, however, by that point you'll have been torn to pieces.

TUSR

Banned
Speaking of Nisekoi, the OVA is out this week. Pretty sure its centered around Onodera.

For those of you who like it.

There are a few of us... Right?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Speaking of Nisekoi, the OVA is out this week. Pretty sure its centered around Onodera.

You should make an "Am I the only one who likes Nisekoi?" thread.

Quasar

Excellent. Every moment of Onodera is one of joy*.

*I may or may not be serious

Quasar

The adaptation is quite good from what Ive read, I think people are dissatisfied at the direction the manga has taken.

Or yeah, they just don't like it.

Which strikes me as weird. Its pretty standard harem fare. Though completely forgetting one of the initial hooks is a little maddening.

Veitsev

What's with the hate for Nisekoi?

Is the adaptation that bad or something??

Its a great adaptation. The manga has been spinning its wheels with filler instead of really advancing the plot for a long time now and some people are sick of it. I think many are anticipating an eventual dumb harem ending or lukewarm open ending and don't want to get too involved with it. Now there really isn't anything to suggest that disappointment is inevitable its just par for the course for the harem genre. I personally liked it for the comedy but I can understand how some that were maybe in it for the romance might be annoyed.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Which strikes me as weird. Its pretty standard harem fare. Though completely forgetting one of the initial hooks is a little maddening.

Problem for me is that it is just standard harem flare. For me you need to have something else to play off the haremy aspects to make it interesting.

cajunator

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters 4

triflin
adj

A person who tends to mettle in business that’s not their own, or mess with other’s personal lives, possessions and/or money frequently. Can also be an individual who wastes exuberant amounts of money. This word is usually associated with the negative connotations of dirty and nasty.

"Yo I heard that triflin bitch Cecily was talkin bad about you to those hos agian. That bitch is always fuckin with your life man."

Good episode, fuck Kirara. Shitty thing is I bet she comes back too. At first I thought, "Hey, an 8th MS fan, she could be cool" Nope. Dirty.

China and Aila are so much better but Kirara is alright. Didnt mind her.

I have one final thought on Tamerlane's post:

While I certainly enjoy both reading and engaging in discussions of anime I never saw that as that as the main thrust of the this thread, or any of the series/movie specific threads I created.

Instead, my main concern is simply with guiding people towards good anime to watch. I just want people to have a chance to love what I love. I want to share good things with others.

When I criticise an anime it's my way of warning people away from something I think is a waste of time as opposed to an attempt to write 'real' criticism.

While I agree that narrowing down suggestions to things one finds palateable is a nice gesture, I dont agree to the elitist idea of looking down on others if they do choose shows I find unsavory or terrible. As long as people are allowed to freely enjoy what they want without their character called into question then its fine.
this is not directed at you btw.

Thoraxes

This little advert came in some anime that arrived today that I know some people love (lol). Some great QUALITY faces.

fcjElpd.jpg

Thoraxes pls

ASADASDASDASDSAN

I like it!
Best Nisekoi girl imo that'll be getting its anime debut.

Hell yeah!
Imagine Haru 'won' the harem.

She will.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hyouka 1 (rewatch):
When I first saw Hyouka I wasn't really into the whole sakuga thing. I enjoyed it on a general level but didn't understand the intricacies of production. I won't pretend to understand them any better now, yet I'm increasingly able to appreciate a well animated scene and craving more out of my animays.

With that said, I found myself rewinding the tracking shot of Chitanda over and over again to note all the little details. I remember initial reactions for this scene were mixed, with someone people praising it and some people deriding the CG'd room or motion-sickness. I don't remember what I thought of it back then, but all I can do now is marvel at how many man hours were spent on this one scene because rotating objects slowly in 2D is just about the hardest thing you can possibly do. You can't use motion blur to mask dodgy movement, or squash and stretch, or just going full twitchy like Imaishi's stuff. It's a commitment to drawing each and every single line as it slowly transforms from one curve to another. That's dedication right there, and it's probably why I continue to watch KyoAni despite their reliance on shit source materials in recent years.

Knowing how all the plotlines resolve also adds an extra dimension to the interaction scenes. I can now see how every bit of dialogue falls in line with each character's story arc. Oreki's capitulation to Chitanda's advances strongly resembles the actions of a man trying to impress a lady friend. Satoshi voluntarily plays the part of wing man, but you can see underneath the surface that being in Oreki's shadows rankles, leading to that outburst later on down the line. Even worse, for all of Oreki's insight, he's unable to see the impact his own put-downs have on Satoshi's inferiority complex. Chitanda has the barest hints of the put-upon heiress who isn't enthusiastic about being a legacy, but is accustomed to hiding it from others and probably even does it reflexively. Her obsession with mundane mysteries may very well be a sad attempt to inject a sense of adventure into her life without betraying what she thinks is expected of her.

I think their relationship has always been kind of one way, with Chitanda seeing Oreki as a friend, and Oreki being too tsundere to admit his feelings for her. FUCKING OREKI GROW SOME BALLS.

(I always liked how every character is always moving, or making some little motions. I understand it's a hard thing for most anime to accomplish given their typical budgetary constraints, but even with large scale productions, I notice a lot of static standing around and talking heads. None of that here, at least, not in episode 1. Every character feels alive, even when they're at rest.)

Thoraxes

Who wants to eat some takoyaki?!

2014-10-0101.44.34yqk2a.jpg

The pages in the artbook are printed on some really high quality paper. Feels great, looks great. There's BWH for all the girls too. Chamber's bust is hidden obviously though, because he's the purest maiden. I would've included Amy's profile but it had pantsu in it.

FYI for anyone out there yet to watch the show, the pic on the back of the box (second picture thumbnail) has a spoiler on it.

Looks like NISA has solicited their release for The Eccentric Family (Uchoten Kazoku) for January 6.

Hm... I should get...

So how often are NISA blurays region locked?
Always , now.

Dammit!

And here I am, crawling back to Shaft.

Pani Poni Dash 1

Show starts off with a classic movie parody, and just goes full-on insane from there. Fourth-wall jokes, crass humor, amazing dub and complete randomness. I think I'm gonna have fun with this one.

Huh. Maybe it's better dubbed...

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 8

HOLY SHIT. I fucking knew it!!!

Almost at the best episode.

Steins;Gate - 8

They literally attempted to use time-travel to
change a person's gender.

Or did they? We don't exactly know, but it's heavily implied at the end.

I'm pretty sure he turned into a girl, it was implied but never explicitly stated.

You'll soon see...

Rhapsody

Banned
(I always like how every character is always moving, or making some little motions. I understand it's a hard thing for most anime to accomplish given their typical budgetary constraints, but even with large scale productions, I notice a lot of static standing around and talking heads. None of that here, at least, not in episode 1. Every character feels alive, even when they're at rest.)

I always appreciate this when high budget anime include this. You get to see all their mannerisms and quirks.

cajunator

Banned
https://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/516986854994759680

Shawne "Dark Lord" Kleckner is the guest on the next ANN podcast. Should be worth a listen.
edit: following the link tells you who he is, but just in case, he's the CEO of Right Stuf.

That dude is a hero.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 7

Man this episode gave me all kinds of feels. Sayaka :( That last scene was amazing.

The music is soooo good. Its a damn shame I think I got spoiled on the ending while looking for OST tracks on YouTube. Goddamnit.

One thing that I do like about SHAFT is the backgrounds here. It doesnt fit every anime (wasnt a fan of it in Nisekoi). However, for Madoka, the vast empty and clean environments full of repetition and symmetry creates a really eerie and lonely feeling. It feels appropriate.

I have to say, the "zombies" a few episodes back when Sayaka became a magical girl were hilarious. The artstyle is so cutesy so seeing a bunch of cute people (even the adults look like kids) acting like zombies in an abandoned factory made me chuckle.

That cat thing
is quite the opportunistic asshole isnt he. Ever since I first saw him I immediately thought that he was up to no good. If he isnt the antagonist by the end, then I'll be danged.

Youll see where this goes soon enough. Sorry if you got spoiled but series music videos is often spoiler heavy content and should be avoided until finishing.

Looks like NISA has solicited their release for The Eccentric Family (Uchoten Kazoku) for January 6.

http://store.nisamerica.com/Anime/The-Eccentric-Family-Premium-Bonus-Set
http://www.rightstuf.com/i/813633014814
BD-only, like most of their recent releases.

As with all their releases, the set looks wonderful.

I only watched two episodes but Ill gladly support this one.

I was busy at the end of the week and through the weekend. I was up most of the night on the weekend and didn't get much sleep. It was a casual thing but I had to go out and meet up with some people after that and was pretty much like this:

Super Tired...Anyway, I was able to quickly look at things at one point but otherwise hadn't really looked at the thread until the end of the weekend. I'll have to catch up but really good job Narag on the opening post. I'm still not sure if G-Reco is something to look forward to or not,haha. Will it be good or "good"?

Also thanks to Jexhius for making up the big post which comprises the last part of the OP. I was actually kind of surprised links to past AOTY threads weren't already a standardized thing but I guess they are now.

I should have been more tired. Spent all day touring the civil war battleground at Gettysburg. The fall colors are changing. It was my first foray unto "North". My tour guide was a friendly Yinzer. Yet I was still full of energy by dinner time.
today we go to Baltimore!

And here I am, crawling back to Shaft.

Pani Poni Dash 1

ibqKZr7KCayeWk.jpg

This girl is 10-years old.

Show starts off with a classic movie parody, and just goes full-on insane from there. Fourth-wall jokes, crass humor, amazing dub and complete randomness. I think I'm gonna have fun with this one.

This show is great. Studio Shaft welcomes all with open arms and a smile!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom