• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Parasyte 8

Mai husbando

a2dXeET.png

Parasyte 08-09
For all the complaint about female character, I rather liked the girlfriend character development. surely got dizzy over girl that mentioning her dick radar and friend that choose to confront confirmed fucking alien tho.

Turin, help me breh..

Brah Kana is better than Murano.

Firemind

The hell?

With Hunter x Hunter, Parasyte, Chihayauru, Hajima no Ippo: Rising and the upcoming Death Parade Anime project, Madhouse is as competent if not more so since their work is focused and their team actually care about whatever series they take on.

So inferior versions of Boogiepop Phantom, NANA, Tenjho Tenge and Death Note.

Reading ANN's Princess Monoke's BD review makes me sad.

Zac said:
Unfortunately, the bluray falls down in a number of other ways; on the original Miramax DVD, there was an included "literal Japanese translation" subtitle track that fans forced on Disney back in the day. The plan then was to include a transcription of Neil Gaiman's adapted script as the only English subtitle track, but thanks to a petition (imagine that!) we had both Gaiman's script and a subtitle track that was more faithful to the original language, but that option is completely absent from this release. It's a shame, considering Gaiman's script is adequate at getting the story across and bringing the characters to life, but it's missing the strange, old-time language the film uses to evoke the period and mood. It's a different experience with the literal translation, and that it isn't on this disc (the included DVD in this combo pack uses the exact same menus as the old Miramax disc, with the 'literal translation' option ripped out) is a big mark against it. It isn't quite dubtitled - the subtitles do change when you switch to the Japanese language track, and they've removed lines added for the dub and changed a few other sentences (the "are you selling soup or donkey piss?" line appears no matter what you do) but largely it's just the dub script.

Superior picture quality or non-butchered subtitles. Hm.

TUSR

Banned
chaika ab 8

im kind of over this show

Chaika AB -08-

I starting to tell that there were two episodes cut because the whole Gillete mind control amounted to a 1 minute fight where he gets injured then suddenly remembers his past life? Must be some weak mind control if pain breaks it. I kinda like Red Chaika just giving up when she realized that she could never beat them. Looking forward to the next two episodes. Toru better become a Dragoon Rider.

she gave up because she loves him obviously

Blusby

Kurozuka 03: Granted they showed something like this in the beginning of the first episode but still I have to say "I never asked for this".

Firemind

Rage of Bahamut #7

Where Amira continues to be helpless. They had to feed her wine (again) to accomplish this though, because she got hungry for no apparent reason. Then Kaiser and Rita stumbled upon them by accident while they were strolling around the castle. Uh-huh.

And I'm sorry, but I can't take cat demon and demon boy toy seriously when they got displaced by a wheel cart and an elemental force two episodes earlier. May they rest in pieces and never return again, those poor conventional souls.

Midonin

Idolm@ster Movie - To The Other Side of the Light!

I have at least three more idol movies coming in the future - the PriPara movie, the Aikatsu movie, and the Love Live movie. All of them have a very high hurdle to clear if they want to come near the quality of this one. PriPara may be funnier, Aikatsu may have had more episodes to let us know the characters, and Love Live is the new hotness, but iM@S has staying power and, compared to the other three, 2D dancing.

This also makes me realize what things like the upcoming Cinderella Girls anime (I can hope for at least a cameo from the 765 girls in that one, right?) and things like GFB are doing, as shown here through Million Live. All these spin-offs provide so many characters that are fleshed out by the fans, and derivative works are one of the cornerstones of anime fandom, so having this movie do some of the work fleshing them out was a bit promote-y, but after the 765 team had reached the zenith in their own main series, where to go?

(Besides a crossover with their Xenoglossia selves. Though the audience for that is, I suspect, very small.)

The final performance got my emotions worked up. Everyone got to have their moments, even if the HaruChihaMiki duo took the biggest parts of screentime. I was surprised it lasted two hours, but it never felt like the story was getting lost in itself too much. It certainly allowed plenty of time for the emotion of everything to sink in.

And let's talk about that opening fake movie ad. I thought I was getting Marimite with the iM@S girls, only for everything to turn into Mai-Otome all of a sudden, which more or less was Marimite with superpowers. The only difference is the idol aspect. What I'm saying is, I would see that movie. I noticed the cameos by the DS idols, too. There's so many facets of this franchise that we outside of Japan are only privy to in bursts and flashes, that just seeing the movie itself - and seeing any anime as just the anime itself - in some way is going to feel like an incomplete experience.

But it's still the kind of incomplete experience that can rile up the emotions. The gauntlet has certainly been thrown, so I'm curious what the idol anime in the coming months, the idol movies in the coming months, will do to sparkle in their own way. Anime movies feel so different and low-key in their scope compared to American tie-in movies, but hit that emotional center much stronger.

Gundam ZZ 26-30

Show has finally gotten better, some real tragic stuff just happened almost making me want to save it rather than delete it when done... but those first 15 episodes were just... really that bad.

EKOpjLB.png

Judau looses it

XP0bnPr.png

Glemy has some not creepy stalker/peophile character building

GuA7w18.png

Glemy looses his character development

I12UD0E.png

Roux turns into a massive bitch 2 hours after the main character looses his purpose in life

TvOHK5i.png

Writers point out Japan's own stereotype

ohRfExG.png

Driessen's were badass even in the 80s

Syrinx

Code Geass R2 9

How old is that Chinese Empress? Like 12 or 13? Pretty sketchy up in here...

I have absolutely no idea what Zero is hoping to accomplish by kidnapping her, right in front of the crowd at the wedding. It is on rather short notice, so I guess it wouldn't be surprising if he's just winging it here.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Parasyte 8

I do like they used the piano track in the middle of the episode.

Kana is going to get bodied because of her power. She is going to make a mistake once again thinking it was Izumi right?

I felt like they are overusing it, I heard it like 3 times in one episode.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 157 (engDub)

Takuto's girlfriend dueling Aichi Sendou was pretty intense but kind of a time waster. Still seeing the sheer high number of cards used to guard and intercept was pretty mindblowing.

Link Joker has become my second favorite Vanguard arc thus far.

Gundam build fighters - 08

Well , that was a good episode .
Gyanko went up and did her best , but she clearly wasn't made to win considering that her gimmick couldn't last so long
Gundam%20Build%20Fighters%20Try%20-%2008.jpg

"Touché"
It'll be intresting to see how this "finale" will turn out considering the new "powerfull guys" that arenot gathered.

I enjoyed it.

Syrinx

Code Geass R2 10

Wait, Lelouch in the Student Council room when the news report of the situation in the Chinese Federation comes in? Wait, what's going on here? What was this trick of yours?

Parasyte 8:
More harem-y than Fate/Stay Night.

There's some welcome return of more horror elements in this episode (just in a couple of scenes though) and some focus on how Shinichi is changing, but the female characters are really not faring well. I'd like to see maybe a single Bechdel test worthy scene, please? I mean, we have a scene where three of our main female characters are sitting around talking, and it's exclusively about men (mostly Shinichi, at that). Maybe the characters could exist to do something other than wanting to jump his dick in the future?

CorvoSol

Fate Zero 7

As much as I hate Saber and wish she'd fucking die because she's an awful, awful concept on every level, is it so much to ask that they let the only female fighter actually win a fucking fight? Every, single, jam that she has been in she's had to be bailed out by a dude.

Gundam X 28: How Not to Write An Interesting Mecha Anime.

Once upon a time not too long ago, I watched an anime called Armored Trooper VOTOMs. Votoms was an amazing show, with a broad range of settings, tight pacing, hilariously large booties, a gripping storyline and an unforgettable cast. It was many things at once: an action movie, a dirty war story, a tale of international crime, a tragic love story, and a heroic journey to vanquish true evil. Votoms was one of the best mecha anime I've ever seen.

One of the show's most rightfully praised arcs is the Kummen Jungle War. As others have put it, "Space Vietnam." The arc follows Chirico's adventure in the middle of a bitter civil war, as well as the introduction of one of his major foes: Ypsilon. The arc is simultaneously remembered for its unflinching depiction of the horrors of jungle warfare and for the political intrigue which surrounded it.

Gundam X is nothing like that at all. Which, I suppose, should be obvious, except that Gundam X carries with it a number of ideas which really ought to be able to make it similar. Like the Kummen Jungle War, this current arc of Gundam X is about a bitter feud between two forces, one of which is backed by a much larger government and military. Traces of ethnic conflict, of fallout from a bigger and bloodier war, and backstage politics are all there in place.

So why is it that Gundam X is so utterly banal when Armored Trooper VOTOMS was one of the best I'd ever seen? Well . . .

Xo4H3jU.jpg
This picture alone explains it, really.

1. What happens should matter to the cast. By this I mean that in VOTOMS' little proxy war, everything mattered to everyone somehow. Chirico met up with Fyana and encountered Ypsilon. Fyana began to escape from her masters' grip. Ypsilon's intense jealousy of Chirico began. Vanilla and Coconna's romance began in the bar he opened. Gotho's role as a peacemaker between them and as group financier is challenged from time to time, and his loyalty to Chirico begins to overtake his love of money.

But it isn't just the main characters. The side characters matter, too. Whether it be His Excellency or the guys on Chirico's mercenary squad, all of the side characters introduced are firmly established, developed, and play pivotal roles in the plot. At times making them seem more important than the main cast. After all, it's really -their- war.

This isn't the case in Gundam X, though. By and large, much of what happens doesn't effect the cast in any major way. From time to time a moment is tossed on someone's plate, but for the most part Tiffa Adil, Garrod Ran, Jamil Neate and the Frost Brothers are exactly where they were when they began. Side characters are introduced and slaughtered in a way that you'd normally see in Gundam AGE. Character actions aren't realistic, either. At one point Roybea shacks up with a girl he just met and stays in her home until she's shot in the chest for no discernible reason. The nattering princeling has stumbled from one scene to another, presumably under the pretense of learning to be a manly ruler.

2. What happened was rarely the same thing twice. In VOTOMS' arc, the team would sortie every day and fight in the jungles. But it was usually a new mission every time. Whether we were watching Chirico and Kan Yu beat each other senseless in the rain and muck, or a raid on a temple harboring insurgents, or watching Chirico fail to persuade Fyana to join him, no episode was dull.

In the Gundam X version of events, though, that's not going to happen. Virtually everything I can think to complain about is centered on the fact that the show has been caught in a quagmire of Monsters of the Week for four episodes now, meaning that the bulk of this war has just been "New prototype mobile suit piloted by yet another cliched nutbag is sent by the Frost Brothers to fail to kill Garrod while they act as positively incestuous as they can in a kid's show." Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

3.The writers took the time to explain things. The New Federation has been around for around ten episodes in Gundam X at this point, if not more, and its been made very, very clear that we're supposed to see it as the ultimate evil.

Except that it hasn't done anything evil yet at all. Oh, sure, it has done some weapon testing, and it has conquered some countries, but the show out and out tells you that this New Federation is made of the remnants of the Old Federation. The Old Federation owned those weapons anyway and had legal control of the entire war. Although there was a giant catastrophe, that doesn't mean that the Federation's right to world governance is rescinded, and it certainly doesn't remove the Federation's right to its own weapons.

The show just assumes that I'm some Zeon loving ass who automatically feels that the New Federation has to be evil. Its never explained. The Frost Brother's motives were brought up exactly once and have since never been expounded upon or clarified by any of their actions. Perhaps the show wanted to ride the Evangelion wave of vague = cool, but no matter the motivations, the end result is a conflict without stakes because there has been neither emotional nor logical build up of why either side should be rooted for.

And don't mistake this as a "neither side is right, because war is grey!" scenario, either. The New Federation is clearly viewed as evil, being attached with such stupid villain trappings as testing new weapons on their own men and employing sociopaths, but all of these things only crop up in the vicinity of the marvelously inept Frost Brothers, and never in connection with New Federation personnel.

Meanwhile, VOTOMS treated this war as a matter of great complexity, but with surprising clarity. The Prince had rebelled against the King, espousing the Old Ways, when his nation had made moves toward the new. The kingdom was aligned with the Gilgamesh government, the rebels with the Secret Society. Both sides were awful but employed good people. The final battle revealed the entire rebellion an elaborate set up to ensure that the Old Ways died for good. Adherents were rightfully dismayed, and many people's lives ended in frustration, but all of it was meaningful in establishing the overall tone and message of the arc. No longer was Chirico just someone who'd fought an off-screen war. We'd seen firsthand what war did to him, and to others.

Nobody had to stand around and look forlorn while someone browbeat the audience about how bad war is, because the audience saw first hand the sheer volume of horrors war created.

4. There was presentation. This isn't related to the writing, but as a final kick to Gundam X's nads, it's a damn shame that an anime as much older than it as VOTOMS looks so much better. Nothing in Gundam X looks good. It may well be the shittiest and ugliest looking Gundam series I've ever watched. And yes, I am including Hirai faces in that. Somehow, Gundam X has uglier fucking faces than either SEED or Destiny.

I mean shit, just look at that face. No wonder this show got cancelled. It's like some kind of freak show, but lazier.

Gundam Build Fighters 17

I don't feel the message came across very well, and the fight was definitely weaker than Fellini's. It's very good on its own, but for a character who's been around for most of the series, Mao could've used a better exit from the tournament.

Gundam Build Fighters 18

I have to say, I really enjoy the tactical stuff much more than parts exploding all over the place. Sure, this one has both, but you get the idea. Probably my favorite battle so far.

4. There was presentation. This isn't related to the writing, but as a final kick to Gundam X's nads, it's a damn shame that an anime as much older than it as VOTOMS looks so much better. Nothing in Gundam X looks good. It may well be the shittiest and ugliest looking Gundam series I've ever watched. And yes, I am including Hirai faces in that. Somehow, Gundam X has uglier fucking faces than either SEED or Destiny.

I mean shit, just look at that face. No wonder this show got cancelled. It's like some kind of freak show, but lazier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UzLgdb1GQ

duckroll

Chaika AB - Episode 8

Yeah, I agree with all the disappointed impressions. This arc is just awful and it goes on and on. Some of the action is cool looking but it really does nothing for me at this point. It's just a drag. They need to just end this and get it over with. Action without meaning behind it is just a boring waste of time. :/ Ando please save us next week...

Yama no Susume S2 - Episode 20

I guess since Kaede got her own episode, this time it's Kokona's turn. Just in time before the big finale arc I guess. It was okay, I enjoyed it, but something about Kokona's character is really disturbing. The fact that a middle schooler who is alone most of the time is also the most capable character on the show is just weird! She seems like the smartest, the most independent, the most responsible, and she has the strangest fantasies. Can't deal with it. Lol. Muuma!

Syrinx

Code Geass R2 11

So this Sayoko woman can imitate Lelouch so he can pretend he's at school while he's away. ...Okay. Probably better he didn't do that though seeing what happened.

Seeing the Eunuchs get cut up was nice.

Code Geass R2 18-19

g9vP8F1.jpg

Me watching this show

Uhhh...wow.
That sure went to shit fast. And fuck Nina for being surprised her WMD caused mass destruction. I don't understand why Lelouch is so intent on lying about his role and Euphy. Maybe no one would believe his reasons, but he just rolled with the lies. I really doubt Nunnaly is dead. No body no death, and she was never shown during the blast. Still I think Nunnaly being alive won't fix any of Lelouch's issues at this point. He's proper fucked.

I have zero (hehehe) clue on how this will end.
The only way I can see is through C.C. somehow, but there's still a lot of things that have been left unexplained.
Fuck Nina.

Fuck Nina.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
IS Infinite Stratos 2 World Purge Hen
8QAJB8Ql.jpg

10/10 AOTY

I think this is as close as a return to season one as this show will ever get. And the story just *makes sense* if you just follow through with the idea that this is a text that is crapping on its very premise as it plays out its premise. Simply amazing.

I'd say so much more, but it really is something to be experienced on your own first!

Code Geass R2 18-19

Uhhh...wow.
That sure went to shit fast. And fuck Nina for being surprised her WMD caused mass destruction. I don't understand why Lelouch is so intent on lying about his role and Euphy. Maybe no one would believe his reasons, but he just rolled with the lies. I really doubt Nunnaly is dead. No body no death, and she was never shown during the blast. Still I think Nunnaly being alive won't fix any of Lelouch's issues at this point. He's proper fucked.

The only way I can see is through C.C. somehow, but there's still a lot of things that have been left unexplained.
Fuck Nina.

Fuck Nina.

Suzaku, Nina and Ohgi; The 3 Code Geass characters that can go fuck themselves.

JCG

Code Geass R2 18-19

Uhhh...wow.

Fuck Nina.

Lelouch is and has always been a liar, not to mention one who prefers to take on burdens or responsibilities by himself, even when he's not mentally broken. Trust isn't something he easily gives others. Of course, it would make him a more constructive individual if he weren't like that
...I feel like saying a few other things, but that would be telling.

Suzaku, Nina and Ohgi; The 3 Code Geass characters that can go fuck themselves.

I'm not even on Corvo's #TeamSuzaku, for whatever that's worth, but the character is quite interesting when you can dispassionately look at why he acts the way he does...including both where he started before the events of the show and where he ends up. It's too bad he's also often listed among the easiest to hate, though certainly not surprising given the whole setup.

Shergal

So I started watching Ashita no Nadja, not sure what to think of it yet. But the important part here is that everyone should be familiar with the impossibly cute ED, directed by Mamoru Hosoda no less.

Hosoda was really good with OPs/EDs it seems. The Samurai Champloo OP is also from him, and his own OP for Nadja is very nice too.

Parasyte 9

In this episode of Parasyte, every woman annoys Shinichi one way or another. One can't accept his bad boy persona and liked him when he was himself, but continues to ask the same annoying question thinking she's clever throughout the whole show until Shinichi finally snaps and I lol'd

The other thinks she's his soul mate and has a weird crush on him.

The other does what can be easily described as a 'stupid horror movie character' move and
calls out who she swears is a monster into a secluded room by herself and tells him to his face that she knows the truth, then admits nobody knows and is surprised when he's about to attack her. REALLY? REALLY?

The women in this show. My god. It's not even an issue of them being otaku-bait. It's more of an issue of a harem that doesn't want to admit it's a harem. And these girls are written like a comic book. If it wasn't for how much I like new badass Shinichi I'd be more bothered by it.

Parasyte 8-9

As someone that usually catches on to terribly written females in fiction, I actually didn't really notice it until you guys pointed it out. Considering this was written in Japan in the 1980's, I would say it's a little more understandable (though not excusable). Though to be honest I don't consider it as bad as some of you guys are saying. Though I can't really defend anime-original girl, judging by episode 9 she serves just to exist as a plot device. Of course I could be irrationally defending this because I really like this show. It's entertaining as shit and hasn't displayed any blatant sexism, so it's all good with me.

In relation to the actual episodes, they were pretty awesome. Shinichi is simultaneously awesome and frustrating to watch seeing him become so much more powerful but completely ignorant to the feelings of those around him. Honestly it was a bit hard to watch. And of course I have to mention
childhood friend making the worst decision ever. I suppose I should get angry but it was so blatantly stupid it became kind of charming.

Also, that next episode preview, damn.
I'm guessing Murano is going to find out about Shinichi's secret? And hopefully childhood friend puts the stupid on hold when he saves her and doesn't tell the government about him.
The tension is real.

Chaika: AB 8

There sure was a lot of fighting, but man did I not find this episode all that interesting because just it just feel like we were fucking getting anywhere with all this.

Parasyte 8-9

I do not remember glasses girl being that dumb in the manga.
You acknowledge the guy is dangerous, but you call him to a desolate room alone anyway? Come on...

We're coming up on one of the goriest scenes in the series. Wonder how they'll censor it.

On the subject of the female characters, the only good ones are Ryoko (who may or may not even have a gender) and the mom.

cajunator

Banned
During his Reddit AMA he said they are looking into it but it has to be profitable for them to do it.

that is great to hear!

During the ANN podcast with them, they said that they are looking in Blu-Ray for certain titles for 2015. They also mentioned in the same podcast that Utena has been very successful for them. I think it's somewhat likely to happen.

Seriously I would triple dip on Utena. Hopefully they get the transfer right because Utena has such lovely details worthy of being seen in the highest quality.

Humanity Has Declined 06

Yeah, that's no human... she's... what? Whaaaat?

And the nautilus beats the giant kitty with the help of microwaves. Of course.

lol its very random. Even tryjng to explain what the show is proves difficult.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 07

Redhead's backstory was pretty harsh, but you're okay in my book now missy. I like her eating stuff all the time, hnnng shaft food show so close.
I'm not a fan of cutting witch hunting time for the purpose of showing a lengthy part of Violin boy coming back to school and love confessions.
Though it does add some extra anchors to Sayaka descend into madness? Because she was enjoying that kill a little too much. But yeah, more witch hunting pleeaase.

Told you shes awesome! My favorite easily.
and then how Sayaka was silhouetted in the last scene..

Parasyte 8-9

As someone that usually catches on to terribly written females in fiction, I actually didn't really notice it until you guys pointed it out.

But... are male characters really better written in this series? Not counting the MC.
No.

If you think about it, there are barely any supporting characters in the story in first place, it's all Shinichi's journey and his relation with Migi and other parasytes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom