• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Yama no Susume S2 14-17

yamasusus215.jpg

Yuuka owns so i hope she comes along on one of their mountain trips sometime!

Speaking of Attack on Mount- I mean, Encouragement of Climb, that OP is fucking god tier
Ya, kinda weird they change it tho well into the second half. They did the same thing with the nice callback ED to the first season and then changed it again in like 3 episodes. Weird.

Quite a number of good animators worked on the episode. Akira Hamaguchi did the scene where they all met up in their yukatas, with all the energetic expressions and posing. Shingo Yamashita did the firefly effects and stuff. I think the nightmare flashback scenes in the first half of the episode were by Hisashi Mori while Tatsuro Kawano did the actual flashback in the end, but that's a guess on my part based on their art styles. They're credited though.
Awesome, thanks! I always have difficulty putting names to certain cuts even when stuff looks pretty familiar at times. :(

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Amagi 8
Tirami is the best thin ever forget the plot, seeing three stooges is more entertaining than saving the park

Bahamut 7
Hammer and bomber finally working togrther. Opening lyric fit with the show

Quasar

"Because it happened in the novels" isn't really a good answer to the question of "why is this happening in the anime?", it's just moving goalposts. Imagine his question was "why is this happening, in both the anime and the novels?"

and the answer to that probably is:

1. She's a favourite character so the author wanted to write a book focused on her.

Which I was happy with, I liked that book more than the book after which is the Shiroe raid book.

I think part of it was that it wasn't so plot heavy. It was just the chaarcters hanging out to some degree.

Trinity seven is trully at his best when they let the cast poke fun at other and just enjoy themselves. Trinity seven , when they aren't too serious , is at this best during those moments

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighters Episode 8:

Jesus tap dancing Christ but do they need to ratchet down the shipteasing a few notches as it was downright exhausting here. That being said, once they were done with Gyanko typical gimmick, Sekai actually had a nice real moment there in defending her honor. The overall problem is he does this because that is the nature of his character and not because of any actual romantic interest. Anyway, the fights this time around were pretty perfunctory,
as this episode was really about establishing the closest thing this series has offered up to a true rival in Team G-Master. I do admit this was effective for the most part though dear god do not do another one-on-one battle. Also, I do admit Gynako jobbing was the height of hilarity.

jgminto

Gundam Build Fighters Try 8

For a second there I thought Gyanko might become a decent character who isn't just a Sekai fangirl but that possibility was snuffed out pretty quickly. It's always good fun seeing
a gyan shield user put in their place though. Also that "death" scene before the credits might have been the most ridiculous of the two seasons so far. I don't think the original ever treated it like a fighter died. There was certainly a lot of tension in the first season for certain matches like the big Ricardo ones but it never went that hokey.
And Hoshino is still walking around in her bike pants while everyone else has changed out of their battle gear, even hours after their last battle. I mean, come on, at least be consistent with your bullshit fanservice.

cajunator

Banned
Full Metal Panic! - 9

"Sousuke, don't think of it as an order, think of it as a friend's request!"
"If that's your order, then I will!"

Oh Sousuke.

And of course Chidori walks in on him right before Tessa comes out of the shower. The show doesn't even need to show you what happens afterwards because face it, you already know, lol.

There several harem moments but its never a focus of an episode but more self contained jokes. Fumoffu goes a bit more that direction but the show never goes full stupid about it.

Yama no Susume S2 13

Easily the best looking episode I've seen this year. Astonishing.

need key animator credits asap

Oh my. Thats gorgeous!

It's funny and horrible at the same time :p

Nice. More wideface!

Where is Honeycomb? Where is itttttttt?
;_;

Jintor

Actually on the whole Log Horizon doesn't really deal (so far) with 'what were these people like in reality' very much, but I find it very amusing to think about what kinds of people were logged into an MMO and oops now you're the basis of a new society. Answer: nerd society! But hey at least you get these swanky powers and shit and can't die.

Midonin

Gundam Build Fighters Try 08

Good thing that being defeated in this series just means an afternoon putting the plastic parts back together. Kaoruko's one of my favorite girls of this season, so even if she didn't make it to the main tournament, I hope she can remain around in a Kirara-like way. Wouldn't want to lose a supporting cast member this early. The battles are still pretty enjoyable, and introducing the giant-er, three-man piloted ones does add a new challenge compared to before. Also still liking the Complete GokaiOh fist that Winning adds to the equation.

phaze

Monster 29-30
Oh my. Things. They are actually happening in this show. And they even involve the 2 main characters. Amazing.

Though I have to say, the way Richard the detective departed from the land of living was supremely stupid and beneath him. I'm hoping this is supposed to be a twist and he survived somehow.

Bodacious Space Pirates on Bluray for $28 is a good deal.

These are the two volumes that were not encoded properly and proved that no NA encoder/author outside of Sevakis could handle 1080i footage and properly re-interlace it or even do something with it. Sadly, this gets ignored because "mah cheap animes" overrides it in the current market.

There's a "complete" collection coming later that may have better video as Sentai will be re-authoring to fit it in 3 discs (for lower costs).

Looks like I'm nearing the end of the Chimera arc in Hunter x Hunter and for some reason someone turned the 'needless narration' switch to maximum. Just what the hell? I understand that some of it is necessary because with that many different characters in place you wouldn't necessary want to go into everyone's monologue.

But not only wouldn't that be necessary either, but the show does it to some extend too. On top of it everything yet so overt gets narrated. The amount of redundancy is just stupid. If the narration was supposed to make this feel more grandiose or s.th. it certainly failed doing so.

Overall I was really happy to finally get to the end phase of this arc which quite frankly sucked for the first third and was at best decent in the second. Then we get to the hopefully good stuff and the narration becomes obnoxious and the pacing has gone to shit too. Feels much more like a generic, poorly done battle shonen right now. I'm glad I wasn't watching this in its weekly format, that would've been torture.

Midonin

Encouragement of Climb S2 20

Everyone's had their moments as the show starts to wind down, and this week is Kokona's story. She's cute, and her scene with her mom was also pretty heartwarming. The Tanigawa climb is going to end this season on a great note, and I like how Aoi is already wondering what to do after that. The answer is clear, though. She's cultivated a love of mountaineering and going to parks and other things like that, so aim for more mountains! There's a lot of Japan they haven't even touched yet.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Looks like I'm nearing the end of the Chimera arc in Hunter x Hunter and for some reason someone turned the 'needless narration' switch to maximum. Just what the hell? I understand that some of it is necessary because with that many different characters in place you wouldn't necessary want to go into everyone's monologue.

But not only wouldn't that be necessary either, but the show does it to some extend too. On top of it everything yet so overt gets narrated. The amount of redundancy is just stupid. If the narration was supposed to make this feel more grandiose or s.th. it certainly failed doing so.

Overall I was really happy to finally get to the end phase of this arc which quite frankly sucked for the first third and was at best decent in the second. Then we get to the hopefully good stuff and the narration becomes obnoxious and the pacing has gone to shit too. Feels much more like a generic, poorly done battle shonen right now. I'm glad I wasn't watching this in its weekly format, that would've been torture.
Togashi sucks, that's all it is

phaze

Well cheer yourself up with the fact that you're approaching what might very well be the two best episodes of the show.

Kansoku

Today I watched the first ep of Parasyte. Really nice and all, but what the fuck is wrong with it's OST? "Oh a tense moment, let's put dubstep on the background"

There several harem moments but its never a focus of an episode but more self contained jokes. Fumoffu goes a bit more that direction but the show never goes full stupid about it.

Oh don't take that like I'm not enjoying them, haha. I do like that's how the whole thing is implemented. I've always liked that from the little I watched of this show in the past, the whole juxtaposition of a teenage soldier raised on the battlefield trying to fit in with a high school environment.

Yeah, the last act of the Chimera Ant arc was a real downer for me in terms of what happened to the pacing. It really felt inevitable though, as in a show like Hunter X Hunter, that's built upon the thought process of characters thinking and how they work with the Nen system of the world. When you have like, 6 main characters all going their separate ways at once in one section of an arc, chances are things are going to get a little out of hand with how much needs to be explained.

When I realized how it was going to go down, I honestly just read the rest of the manga instead, because there was no way I was gonna wait week by week to see what happens.

The show still remains as my favorite Shounen of all time though. And despite the pacing, the last act of the Chimera Ant arc has some of the best moments in the entire show.

Midonin

Kokoro Library 05-07

Kokoro's so kindhearted she even helps out a thief, as long as he obeys the library's return policies. That Funny Tortoise was
actually sent by the girls' father to keep an eye on them
makes me curious about how things got to be this way, but as it was with Yokohama, the "how" is not as important as the "now". Also like Yokohama, despite the pastoral setting, there appears to be at least some magic realism/near-future element to this world, given the main thrust of episode 6 revolving around a robot librarian. A few years removed from Multi at this point, but I can see the influence.

Episode 6 and 7 did one of my favorite storytelling tricks. Showing Kokoro's librarian training, and what was going on with Iina and Aruto at the same time. Iina's such a siscon she can't even tell that Aruto is really Kirin, and just thinks she's wearing a wig. The show's cute, and in some ways feels a bit ahead of its time.

Clov

These are the two volumes that were not encoded properly and proved that no NA encoder/author outside of Sevakis could handle 1080i footage and properly re-interlace it or even do something with it. Sadly, this gets ignored because "mah cheap animes" overrides it in the current market.

There's a "complete" collection coming later that may have better video as Sentai will be re-authoring to fit it in 3 discs (for lower costs).

Yep, avoid these two volumes if you're a fan of the show and wait for the complete collection. The video might be decent in the new collection. This and Penguindrum used 1080i video for some reason, and looked terrible. There are probably other, older Sentai titles that did the same thing, but I can't recall them off by heart.

Yona of the Dawn 8:
Well, after 8 episodes we finally have a third character in the group. Yun seems like he'll be pretty reliable. The flashback with him meeting Ik-su was kind of long, but it worked out fine. I'm wondering just how long it's going to take this show to get back to what we saw at the beginning of the series, though. It seems like it might be awhile for the whole group to get together.

Midonin

Librarian 08

I liked the shadow play animation used for when Kanasuke was explaining her backstory. The take on the Emperor's New Clothes went about how I'd expect, but mostly, it has to do with how much the Librarian stuff has changed the show's nature. Kakei's able to put his book-reading to good use, but at the risk of someday losing the friends he's made from it. Also, things are definitely setting up for a Tsugumi Route.

cajunator

Banned
Oh don't take that like I'm not enjoying them, haha. I do like that's how the whole thing is implemented. I've always liked that from the little I watched of this show in the past, the whole juxtaposition of a teenage soldier raised on the battlefield trying to fit in with a high school environment.

Yeah, the last act of the Chimera Ant arc was a real downer for me in terms of what happened to the pacing. It really felt inevitable though, as in a show like Hunter X Hunter, that's built upon the thought process of characters thinking and how they work with the Nen system of the world. When you have like, 6 main characters all going their separate ways at once in one section of an arc, chances are things are going to get a little out of hand with how much needs to be explained.

When I realized how it was going to go down, I honestly just read the rest of the manga instead, because there was no way I was gonna wait week by week to see what happens.

The show still remains as my favorite Shounen of all time though. And despite the pacing, the last act of the Chimera Ant arc has some of the best moments in the entire show.

i think you will find Fumoffu to be exactly what you want it to be.

Today I watched the first ep of Parasyte. Really nice and all, but what the fuck is wrong with it's OST? "Oh a tense moment, let's put dubstep on the background"

Yeah the soundtrack has a very mixed reception.

Parasyte 8

Shit, this dude's life is just going in the weirdest directions. Seems as though we are gonna be finding out more about
this chick and her ability to sense these damn creatures.

Also, there's always that unfitting OST near the end of the episode.

Midonin

Chaika AB 08

So Tohru is willing to reconsider his stance on war for Chaika. Good guy. Especially when the most prominent advocate of it is King Crazy here. Chaikas everywhere in this episode, from rebellious ones like Vivi to the black Chaika that looks to have set the wheels of this crazy tournament in motion. Akari's fight against the Chaika Hanarangers was also fun, I have to give her a hand for that one.

jbug617

Banned
Parasyte 8

I do like they used the piano track in the middle of the episode.

Kana is going to get bodied because of her power. She is going to make a mistake once again thinking it was Izumi right?

2 episodes of Parasyte today!

Series really is a better Spiderman. No wonder Jim Henson wanted to make a live action movie of it.

Also they need to release the ost. That one song they always play when he is talking to Migi/his dad is pretty amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom