• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
FATE STAY NIGHT UBW ( This week ep )

This was an uterly bland and unintresting episode that had a purpose but that wasn't entertaining to watch at all.

Selector spread Wixoss - 10

Can i slap Mayu ?

I mean CAN I SLAP HER ? HARD ?

She deserves it

I mean goddamn , this episode did moves things a lot in various directions , but it's now clearer than ever that Mayu is just a petty child that throw a tantrum when someone is doing something unexpected.

As for our heroine , WTF .?? "'ill go talk to her" is not a plan, especially since your plan is to undo the whole selector system without any power in the negociations

Talk about a bad plan.

LOL
Yuzuki was basically thinking
"well there goes my only hope."

Quasar

Akame ga Kill 23 - What a dumb ultimate Teigu (though I guess expected because Japan). And not really the end I expected. But otherwise as expected. Though there was missing characters just because.

F/Z things

I've seen people compare this show to an action movie (as a complaint) and I'd have to say that I'd agree with that. I really like Fate/Zero, but it's for the relationships between all these different characters with their teamwork, scheming, betrayals, etc. not necessarily the actual development or exploration of the characters. Though with your hatred of Saber it probably wasn't as enjoyable, haha.

Though Kariya was probably my favorite character. Even knowing how his story would end and that his motivations were a little fucked up. And that it didn't require wordwordwords or two episode flashbacks with
childhood friend zombies
to understand him and his actions.

Eureka Seven episode 40

Wohoo, best season. Best OP. Art and animation is back up to super quality after the shaky season 3. Holland is no longer an asshole. Also more action and mind-fuckery.

Master Norb is the coolest old man.

VRMN

The last few weeks I was wondering what the hell they were going to do about the pacing for this. Defeating Mirage seemed like it'd be right before the final battle, but it seems they're going to let the illusion of peace happen for a bit before Red (that's got to be his name, right?) makes his move to try and make Lovely into an even more powerful villain. Interested in seeing how this all plays out; it's been an enjoyable ride for my first PreCure series. Not enough to make me want to go watch next year's show sight unseen or anything, but still plenty of fun.

CorvoSol

I disagree with Kariya wasn't underused. He had a similar issue Saber does, in that he's bound by both his honor and love, and in the end he drowns because of them. He also wasn't a real mage and as shown by his battle with Tohsaka, the only reason he lasted as long as he did was due to Berserker. He had a proper climax for his character development and everything after that was additional suffering.

I suppose I can see that. I just wished he had been around for more than bit roles in a few episodes is all.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I might have suggestions but you were gone so long i don't even know what are the last anime you've watched before your return. What are the last animes you saw ?

Yeah I had to take a break for awhile. I tried to come back a few times but I dunno I kept getting burnt out real easily until now.

Last show I was watching before I left was Akuma no Riddle, so back in Spring earlier this year. Been talking to Thoraxes who recommended me another show to watch, which is...

Fight Ippatsu! Juuden-chan!! - 01

xaUThD1.png

So much pee. Queen's Blade got nothing on this. :lol

Noragami - 02

Another solid episode. Hiyori keeps adapting to her new 'situation' while trying to push Yato to help her. Meanwhile Yato is prioritizing scrubbing bathrooms for 5 yen a pop.
It keeps on having it's fun moments, like Hiyori looking for a divine instrument or all the unintentional gut punches. There are many 'quality' moments on the characters themselves , but most of the backgrounds and environments overall look gorgeous.
A third character was introduced in the end which I believe will make a good fit in this group, judged by the small introduction we got.

i was gonna ask for anime recomendation since Fall TV is on break

but saw this and started watching. really digging it

Full Metal Panic! - 21

Holy crap.

It's freaking Hail Hydra up in Mithril!

Yeesh, Andrei. Don't you think it would have been smarter for you to just watch Gauron yourself? And for that matter, why didn't they kill Gauron? The entire point of the mission from the last arc in this show was to assassinate Gauron, so why didn't they kill him here when they had the chance? Justice? Not stooping to his level?

Joe Molotov

Precure Max Heart 33

H0WIyeS.jpg

Truly a wonderful birthday present.

Nagisa wants Fujipi to ravish her for her birthday, but for the 15th time, she fails to ask him out. Instead she celebrates her birthday at home with her family and a lumpy birthday cake.

Precure Max Heart 33

Nagisa wants Fujipi to ravish her for her birthday, but for the 15th time, she fails to ask him out. Instead she celebrates her birthday at home with her family and a lumpy birthday cake.

She has Honoka instead, she's like Hinata to her Naruto, while Fujipi is just animated cardboard.

Mature

Lupin the Third: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone
yoXXkc4.jpg

Having not seen the recent (and supposedly tepid) The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, my hopes were that this would exist as a cool, stand-alone carry over of that show's aesthetic without an Okada screenplay. What I got was a double-down on the stylish, with some fucking rad set pieces around a tight screenplay. It had a different feel than typical Lupin; the crazy antics were there in part, but not in the same 'visual gag' manner. Normally I think I'd be apprehensive to it being steered in such a grim direction, but Jigen's gritty, noir-esq story felt like it was tailored for Koike's darker designs. The excellently realized aesthetic made every shot and location have something to gape at. Altogether, it felt like a very well realized package.

Between the possibility of more of these specials directed at different characters and the new 2015 series directed by some Lupin alumni, the series shows that it's still got some legs. Do it right, TMS!

Clov

Lupin the Third: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone
yoXXkc4.jpg

Having not seen the recent (and supposedly tepid) The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, my hopes were that this would exist as a cool, stand-alone carry over of that show's aesthetic without an Okada screenplay. What I got was a double-down on the stylish, with some fucking rad set pieces around a tight screenplay. It had a different feel than typical Lupin; the crazy antics were there in part, but not in the same 'visual gag' manner. Normally I think I'd be apprehensive to it being steered in such a grim direction, but Jigen's gritty, noir-esq story felt like it was tailored for Koike's darker designs. The excellently realized aesthetic made every shot and location have something to gape at. Altogether, it felt like a very well realized package.

Between the possibility of more of these specials directed at different characters and the new 2015 series directed by some Lupin alumni, the series shows that it's still got some legs. Do it right, TMS!

I enjoyed this too. Loved the way everything came together at the end. At first I was a bit iffy on how they were portraying Fujiko, but my worries were dispelled soon afterward. Still,
that whole thing with the robot was just weird and uncomfortable. I guess that's supposed to be the point, but I felt a little disoriented when they kept crosscutting between that and the car chase.

Mature

I enjoyed this too. Loved the way everything came together at the end. At first I was a bit iffy on how they were portraying Fujiko, but my worries were dispelled soon afterward. Still,
that whole thing with the robot was just weird and uncomfortable. I guess that's supposed to be the point, but I felt a little disoriented when they kept crosscutting between that and the car chase.
Yeah, was watching it with a couple friends and I kept thinking "I swear, this better not be a weird rape scene."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anohana - 05

By now it feels unfortunately very mediocre. Characterization seems somewhat inconsistent, the relationship between the characters isn't actually that interesting and the plot so far hardly there. The Yukiatsu cross dressing was just kinda stupid and that won't change just because you make the character cry his heart out.

Earlier I mentioned that Menma's manifestation is able to interact physically with the world in some ways. At least as far as we the audience and Jitan know currently. For example she's able to cook, eat food and touch others which they feel in some reduced form. So it would be easy to proof that she actually exists but nah, let's not tackle that aspect whatsoever.

AnoHana has its heart in the right place but is maddeningly inconsistent.
It evens out though.

People really should just skip the series and watch the movie. Okada is forced to reign herself in and the result is a better product.

Lain

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 8

Shinji is a little shit until the end while Shiro continues walking the cool path. When Saber
appeared in the school
it was a damn cool moment.

Branduil

So they only did that part in CG to save time? I'm not really surprised. To be honest, at its time of airing I really thought they just decided to change the style for no reason.

I don't see how adding a CG sequence would save time. Seems more like a really misguided attempt at being "different."

Clov

I don't see how adding a CG sequence would save time. Seems more like a really misguided attempt at being "different."

I guess it's just my assumption that CG takes less time than the traditional processes, and the fact they changed it so much afterwards.

Still, your view is what I assumed when I saw the episode when it aired. Just an odd stylistic choice that turned out terrible.

Start with the first episode and end at episode 23 of Fate/Zero.

Oh oh oh speaking of which! Let's do this so I don't have to talk about this anymore.

Cuz I am fucking done with this series.

Fate/Zero Series Final Thoughts

Alright, let's just get her out of the way so we can talk about other things, okay? Yes, I hated Saber and yes she was a show ruining piece of shit that the author favored and yes I despised her for daring to prance about like she was King Arthur when she was the furthest thing from it conceivable.

I will dispense with that last argument, however, after saying this: Although I believe considerable leeway is granted to an author who chooses to use a popular character from myth, legend, or history, when they choose to do so, I do believe that a burden is incurred as well. That burden being the justification to the viewer for the use of this character. A part of that burden must, inevitably, be a preservation of this character in one way or another.

I find very curious that you are the only one that is bothered so much for the female Arthur idea, so many things to complain and it seems a very silly point to focus. I never read anyone else with that problem.
I just considered it as if after hundreds of years, legends of Arthur morphed and changed and that's why the actual legend we know was changed to male, but in that world Arthur was always a woman. Just a twist in the myth, which is possible given that the tale was already old in medieval times.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 61:

If I may be frank here, I have not made disdain I hold for Sailor Moon R very secret, of course much of that is borne out of ancient hatreds, though so far my loathing has been justified time and again. The Tree of Doom arc is still a monumental waste of time, Chibi-Usa is still a plane of hell made flesh and given the personality of Usagi and Rei in twain and this episode introduced the third nightmare from the carnival of stupid. Well, kind of, I should say a confounding continuation of the hatred that the writers had for Usagi and Mamoru as a couple. I wonder if any of them went on to work on Friends? Anyway, this is the episode that gave us what has been charitably been called the Mamoru Break Up Arc and uncharitably as a massive pile of idiocy.

So the gist of things is Mamoru breaks up with Usagi out of the blue due to some strange portents and while I suppose the idea is not without merit, the execution is so haphazard that the obvious logical flaws are commented on almost immediately. Indeed, this is also how you can tell we have returned to cannon, the knowledge that Mamoru and Usagi being eternal lovers is secure. Anyway, the other big problem is Mamoru just flat out refuses to give his reasons, instead he evades, he lies and he shatters hearts. If I recall correctly this was a move so ill thought out it caused friction far beyond what was expected, like it was referenced in future seasons. Anyway, in spite of all that I would still recommend this episode because the change into the new era has given this show such a shot in the arm that it can overcome the larger storyline and character deficiency.

TUSR

Banned
idolmaster 13

miki and makoto performance can never be bad, concert was fun

im getting real tired of ryuuguu komachi's shit tho

Lain

Escaflowne The Movie

The movie felt really disjointed in the way it linked events. One moment Hitomi is scared, not knowing her surrounding and the next she's holding Van in her arms and spouting out some philosophic bullshit like she's spent a long time with him yet according to what the movie shows, there's been no time to form any kind of bond.
It felt disappointing and it made me wish to watch the series instead.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 62:

Right, with the larger paradigm shifts established it is now time to issue the first character focus episodes of the arc and this time it is Ami who draws the first straw and we get one of those well worn chestnuts when it comes to team plots. Ami all of a sudden has the opportunity to study in Germany in order to realize her grand dream of becoming a doctor but this would come at the expense of her duties as a Sailor Solider. Yea, the plot is pretty old hat and the outcome is obvious, but that not what this episode is really about. I am not sure if the change in staff is at the root of the matter but there is different kind of focus here in the current arc. This episode was about exploring Ami's hopes, wants and dreams as well as insights into her personality and character. Like her rationale into not inviting her friends to see her off because she feels she is more wishy-washy then Charlie Brown. Usually this would be the b-side in service to whatever zany scheme the villains are cooking up that episode. That being said, the monster of the week plans are stuff fairly stupid. Also, new powers, new sticks, new watches, all out of the blue. Yea, I am sure that could have been handled better. Anyway, this episode is mildly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom