• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

Psycho Pass 2 - 9

Can't go for more than 2 episodes without
another mass killing.
At least Akane seems ready to fuck shit up.

Fate Stay Night Unlimited - 9

I'm beginning to wonder why I'm even watching this.

Midonin

Celestial Method 10

Noel, no!

Wolf Girl 10

A small victory.

Akame 23

The scale is getting too big here. A 1 on 1 battle for the finale should be exciting enough.

Grisaia 10

I recognize Akane Tomonaga/Yukari Aoyama. She sounds like an older Ayane Sakura. The level of tragedy is reaching high levels, but I'm curious where this is going to go.

Girl Friend Beta 10

Music, start! The light music club takes center stage, and the good vibes this show give off are a nice way to end my Sunday marathons.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Hey guys, I've got a question that's probably been asked a million times. But what Fate do I watch first? I've heard to watch fate/stay night first but when I checked there's 2 different ones, Fate/stay night and Fate/ stay night Unlimited Blade Works. What order do I watch these in?

Don't watch anything that has Fate/ in its title.

Branduil

I'm just saying, what does the competition look like? Rin, from Fate/Night? Aida from G-Reco? Yuki from Aldnoah? Stephanie from NGNL? Lisa from Terror in Resonance? The Wizard Barristers from Wizard Barristers? The women from Parasyte?

iLcYUH6yo9AQz.jpg
ipWOAN2sehIho.jpg

phaze

Hey guys, I've got a question that's probably been asked a million times. But what Fate do I watch first? I've heard to watch fate/stay night first but when I checked there's 2 different ones, Fate/stay night and Fate/ stay night Unlimited Blade Works. What order do I watch these in?

They are 2 different routes of a visual novel. Both are not exactly stellar positions but Unlimited Blade Works at least has stellar production values. The other version not so much.

That said my advice is to watch Fate/Zero first, it's a prequel and it's head and shoulders above them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm just saying, what does the competition look like? Rin, from Fate/Night? Aida from G-Reco? Yuki from Aldnoah? Stephanie from NGNL? Lisa from Terror in Resonance? The Wizard Barristers from Wizard Barristers? The women from Parasyte?
You should watch good anime like Yama no Susume or Hanayamata or Sabagebu!

Anohana - 02

Nokemon heh?

Okay that Poppo guy just doesn't make any sense. These characters are in highschool now but...he actually threw school and traveled several places in the world already with the money he made from his job (was he some prodigy programmer or what the fuck?). That's sounds hardly believable and otherwise I can't say I'm liking him much either, although I can understand that the show needs some kind of character like this to get everyone else together.

So in this episode some of the guys fulfilled a minor wish Menma had by playing Pok...sorry, Nokemon but obviously that was not what's required to make ghost Menma disappear.

Now I'm kinda afraid this may fall into a somewhat episodic format where our protagonists attempt to fulfill one of those wishes each week and it'll ultimately end with Menma's real wish being the reunification of all her friends because she's said they dissolved their friendship like that due to her death or so. And her original wish was all of them staying friends forever or so...

Also I'm not sure just how many years actually passed between Menma's death and the current events, but it feels kinda heavy handed how all these characters still have their regrets about all this daily and just happen to run into each other. Then again, ain't really a problem yet.

ED visuals are really nice, add to the great track.

jgminto

Obaba from Ping Pong is the best female character this year.

The correct order is to not watch either.

Devil

So, I usually don't hijack threads I'm normally not seen in for my purposes, but it's for my girlfriend... She is doing a little quiz and one task is to name several anime characters by their silhouette. We already got most of them, but just don't know the last two ones. Would be really grateful for any help for a fellow gaffer! It's not a competition for money or other noteworthy prices, so don't worry about that. Oh, and it's not cheating if nobody knows :p

So these are the two missing silhouettes. Please excuse us if it's terribly easy and should be known. Our knowledge of the genre is quite little.

14msks4.png
special1odjqg.png

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So, I usually don't hijack threads I'm normally not seen in for my purposes, but it's for my girlfriend... She is doing a little quiz and one task is to name several anime characters by their silhouette. We already got most of them, but just don't know the last two ones. Would be really grateful for any help for a fellow gaffer! It's not a competition for money or other noteworthy prices, so don't worry about that. Oh, and it's not cheating if nobody knows :p

So these are the two missing silhouettes. Please excuse us if it's terribly easy and should be known. Our knowledge of the genre is quite little.

14msks4.png
special1odjqg.png

Archer/Gilgamesh for the first one.

Lautaro

Cross Ange is such a weird show, it has an ecchi female prison/thing, a world so messed up that is almost comical and a main character that manages to be likeable despite treating everybody like trash.

I keep watching it because the coming rebellion (and the MC) has a lot of potential but I fear that it may be drown in it's own stupidity... some of the jokes are hillarious though.

Really, Tusk?, did you just asked Ange about the carpet matching the drapes?! lol

Really, Tusk?, did you just asked Ange about the carpet matching the drapes?! lol

I paused and re-winded a bit to see if I had skipped a line or two, it was totally sudden and random. We can understand him falling on her because it's supposed to be accidental, but him directly stating that wasn't an accident. These trollish writers...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FSN UBQ 9

Finally an episode worth commenting about, if only it had been Shirou and Shinji, instead of Issei in that room :(

Imagine just how much it could have earned earned if it was SasuNaru being shown instead of some bad fanfic.

I was going to respond to this but then I remembered.

Ange reminds me of Lelouch. A prideful and vengeful former royal on a path of carnage and ruin. She will liberate the normas and destroy her corrupt world. All Hail Princess Angelise!!!

There are similarities. Crippled sister, dead mom, cast out from the royal family. But Lelouch is a strategist, Ange seems content with just going guns blazing and hoping for the best, and Ange's brother is no Schneizel. Really no one seems to care for tactics (her brothers plot was really really dumb) and the guards are utterly incompetent. I doubt she'll try and form anything like the Black Knights either. She'll just use her soon-to-be harem and the mighty Rito Yamato as an army.

Cross Ange is a weird show, I can't decide if it's improved or if it's just getting better at being entertaining shlock.
It is funny how some of the character interactions are better then those in Fate/Stay Night though!

Err, erm, I mean uhmm, yeah.......

The old woman from Ping Pong? Yeah! She totally counts right? Please tell me she does.....

Obaba from Ping Pong is the best female character this year.

Obaba is definitely the best.

cajunator

Banned
Oh snap, finally some news on Gangsta!

Broadcast: July 2015
Studio: manglobe
Director: Murase Shukou
Series Director: Hatsumi Kouichi
Series Composition: Inotsume Shinichi
Character Design: Ueda Youichi
Music: TSUTCHIE
Official website: http://gangsta-project.com/

Cast:

Nicolas Brown: Tsuda Kenjirou
Worick Arcangelo: Suwabe Jun'ichi
Alex Benedetto: Noto Mamiko
Chad Adkins: Kaneo Tetsuo
Cody Balfour: Ishikawa Kaito
Theo: Mikami Satoshi
Nina: Yuuki Aoi
Daniel Monroe: Houki Katsuhisa
Miles Meyer: Koyama Tsuyoshi
Yang: Maeno Tomoaki
Delico: Hashizume Tomohisa
Ivan Glaziev: Kirimoto Takuya
Gina Paulklee: Sakakibara Yoshiko
Ginger: Komatsu Mikako
Doug: Yoshino Hiroyuki
Loretta Cristiano Amodio: Ueda Kana
Marco Adriano: Sakurai Takahiro
Galahad Woehor: Inada Tetsu

Well this looks interesting..I had no idea this exists.

[Cross Ange] - 10

Ange is clearly one of this years' best women in anime.

I say this unironically.

This must be quite a show. One of those brilliant trainwreck things. Damn you Jex Im going to watch this and hate myself for it.

Aoi in Shirobako, and by proxy the CG girl.

Fate Zero and avoid everything else.
Maybe watch Fate Prisma Illya for the cute/yuri

Akame ga kill 23
The giant robot was fairly stupid, especially since it standing in the same spot for most of the fight and firing lasers so he destroying the empire much more than any rebellion could
Kind of surprised they killed off Tatsumi. Guess they won't make a second season of this for sure now. And then, having Akame and Esdeath fight off in the next episode just to make sure everyone is dead.

As long as Esdese lives everything is cool.
I bet she wont.
Also your avatar is DA BEST

So when is Rightstuf's sale over?

Never. Rightstuf always has sales. Like always.
Unless you mean THIS sale, which ends shortly after Christmas.

Kampfer - 12-14 [END]

Finished watching this yesterday but can't remember if I posted about it. Anyway, love the series. I want to honor Kaede for her fierce effort in preserving the garden, we need more characters like that these days. Shizuku is best girl by a mile and was so happy when she was fondling female Natsuru and said she was fine being with girls too. Thank the heavens.
How does it feels to be the vilain in a magical anime , Sdburton ? Satisfied ?

Akame Ga Kill Episode 23: Kill The Empoeror

Keeping with the show as a decent choice as Wave is finally getting time to shine, but this episode became baffling.
Was the giant laser shooting emperor needed :( Also if Tatsumi is TRULY dead...impossible

Akame ga kill 23
The giant robot was fairly stupid, especially since it standing in the same spot for most of the fight and firing lasers so he destroying the empire much more than any rebellion could
Kind of surprised they killed off Tatsumi. Guess they won't make a second season of this for sure now. And then, having Akame and Esdeath fight off in the next episode just to make sure everyone is dead.

Akame ga Kill 23
This fucking show. The emperor's an idiot, Esdeath is nowhere to be seen, the Minister isn't even really threatened. The duel between Tatsumi and the Emperor is underwhelming and powered by...
a goddamned giant robot with beam spam
. Because why the fuck not?

Am shocked they
killed Tatsumi off
. Now to see how they screw up
Akame vs. Esdeath
. And how they hand wave the part where
the Emperor and Minister are still alive

Akame ga Kill - 23

I'm not a fan of the big emperor laser mech. Wave and Tatsumi co op was cool.
Since this is "the legendary" imperial arms I thought the only chance they had was to sweet talk the emperor, like.. reveal that his parents didn't die in an accident (as the minister told him) but was murdered by the minister to gain control or something
Instead Incursio Digivolved into Megnamon and took care of business. I liked the whole bit where Tatsumi sacrificed himself to stop the Emperor from landing on everyone.
My only hope for a happy ending is for best girls Esdeath and Leone walking hand in hand down a sunset road and living happily ever after

I'm reading those spoilers and i have no idea what happenned
Did they gave the emperor a giant robot bodyguard ?

I can't tell if that's a doll on his back or not.

That's not an human on his back

Jex

Well...considering we aren't comparing either character arc as a whole here, I believe that making the first leg of the journey seem more complex on paper doesn't mean it is being executed in a better way, in practice, especially when most of those stages you're talking about involve Ange being abused in ways that are often simultaneously offensive, ridiculous and uninteresting. It might probably be the best development in a lesbian prison exploitation anime, but that's like being the tallest dwarf.

You have a point in how that might well be what the show is going for. Still, I would find it very hard to care.

I mean, in many ways you're not wrong, but that's not even the biggest problem with Ange's character.

Yes, she's constantly the subject of physical, psychological and even sexual abuse but that doesn't really detract from the amount of genuine character development she's undergone or her strength as a lead character. They do undermine the entire text because it's full of ridiculous, degrading fanservice for the purpose of titillation.

Aside from that Ange is a tough, no-nonsense warrior whose the most powerful mecha pilot in the show and she's surprisingly stable on a physiological level considering the events of her life. The most damning criticism of her character is actually something different to the aforementioned abuse she receives.

More problematically, there are now two occasions where Ange has had to be saved from a really precarious situation by some man e.g. Space Jesus himself. The fact that he has to bail her out of these problems weakens her character considerably because she shouldn't have let herself get put into those bad situations to begin with. Yet, she did, just so that some man could swoop in to save her. This seriously detracts from her agency and ability to carry the plot foward.

VRMN

I'm reading those spoilers and i have no idea what happenned
Did they gave the emperor a giant robot bodyguard ?

The emperor's ultimate Imperial Arms is a giant death robot. Tatsumi evolves Incursio to stand a chance, defeats it, but sacrifices himself to spare some civilian casualties...though the emperor had to kill hundreds if not thousands from beam spam.

Cross Ange is a weird show, I can't decide if it's improved or if it's just getting better at being entertaining shlock.
It is funny how some of the character interactions are better then those in Fate/Stay Night though!

I'd say it has improved. It's still trashy but it seems pretty self-aware and has moved away from the super hardcore edgy attempted rape/dead 12-year olds/etc. of the first few episodes. Even if the only emotional reactions I have are laughter and wanting everyone in Mirusugsghsui empire to be horribly murdrered by DRAGONs I actually look forward to watching it every week.

VRMN

Start with the first ep of Fate/Zero. Stop at the last ep of Fate/Zero.

Alternately, read the F/SN VN (Realta Nua, sex scenes off) and Fate/Zero novels. Neither anime has the whole story and neither is very good. Fate/Zero is better as an anime, but is still not great. The original works are okay; Type-Moon seems doomed to crappy adaptations. The VNs aren't the masterpieces they're hailed as, but they're better than the anime would lead you to think.

Deadly

I'm surprised so many are watching Cross Ange. Is it the new 'so bad it's good?'

How long is it going to be? 2 cour? split-cour?

VRMN

Watch Fate/Zero and pretend the rest of the franchise doesn't exist.

Ignore the people that tell you to play the VNs, they're bad.

Putting aside the quality of the VNs, I don't think Fate/Zero stands on its own very well. It has too many open plot threads that are left open because Fate/Stay Night deals with them. The series and the novels that spawned them are a prequel that is designed as one; it expects you to have knowledge of the universe and, to some degree, knowledge of what happens in Fate/Stay Night. I don't consider it a good entry point even if it's better than the original work (largely because Nasu is an inferior writer to Urobuchi).

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 07

Bit of a serious turn here, as Choco struggles to understand just what romantic relationships are. I'm not going to say this goes against the comedy-centric first episodes, because romance elements have been there since the start, and because part of growing up is realizing there will be tough times, too. Her relationship with Chitose is my favorite, because even if they don't fully realize it, they're both lonely together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom